TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Alien: Isolation - The First Alien Film Meets System Shock 2?

Holy crap. The reviews are out before the game is released? I thought that was a thing of the past.

So far they're mostly positive. Going to keep reading. As is the case with any game/movie/ideology/etc it's best to read the most negative criticism first, and IGN were unimpressed with it for being repetitive, unfair, and stressful.

Adam Smith seems to have enjoyed it. http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014...ion-review-pc/

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Moyer View Post
    Adam Smith seems to have enjoyed it. http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014...ion-review-pc/
    Most importantly, seems like the answer to the thread title's question is YES.

Having said that, reviews are all over the place so far.

Does anyone know whether it's supposed to work with Oculus Rift (perhaps with a later patch)? I've heard contradictory information on that one and whether the OR demo of the game was going to remain a demo only.

I could imagine that this one runs out of steam before it's over, but even if I'll just get a couple of hours of Alieny goodness out of it, I'm going to be happy with that. (I'll only buy it in a few months, mind you, since I'm battling a big backlog.) Doubly so if, once the OR is out, you can play in VR... which may just remove a few years from my life expectancy in one fell swoop.

AFAIK there's been no official confirmation on Oculus Rift support yet.

Quote Originally Posted by N'Al View Post
    Most importantly, seems like the answer to the thread title's question is YES.
    It always seemed that way to me... I never understood the "Nah, it's more Amnesia In Space" bit. It just didn't add-up. First-person wrenching of robots and minimal first-person shooting? Computer hacking? Coherent, atmospheric spaceship with a degree of optional backtracking and non-linearity? Corrupt corporations? Rogue AI? All this made people think "Amnesia In Space"?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith, RPS
    That said, despite drawing so much of its strength from the license, the excellence of the audio design, the uncanny androids and the sense of the magnificent dread of space put me in mind of another game – System Shock 2. I think Alien: Isolation is the best scary sci-fi experience since SHODAN’s last appearance.
    Some of the mixed reviews may result from this being more of a niche game, despite it being marketed to the mainstream. I suspect that some of the flaws described won't be seen as troublesome to the TTLG crowd, especially those among us playing their 500th Thief FM 16 years after playing the original Thief experience.

I've read enough from the reviews to feel that, while it may be legitimately flawed in some (debatable) ways, I'm confident I'll savor playing it for several hours at a time. Thankfully, it's flaws do not appear to be a result of the developers doing things many feared: making it ultimately just a shooter or releasing it as a poorly optimized buggy mess.

Actually using the same tricks for too many hours, and going for "big-budget AAA spectacle" in the second half of the game – these are pretty serious objections to me. And they're mentioned in the reviews, only the scores aren't reflecting it (e.g. Eurogamer). I hope it's not anything like Outlast which turned into pathetic excuse for a horror game after an hour or so.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

If anyone wants to be a guinea pig and pre-order at full price, then that's your choice. I myself will be waiting for reviews and a 66% off or higher discount.

I'm eager to see some impressions here, but I never buy a game when it first comes out. I always have a huge backlog of games to play already and PC games are always better a few months or more after release (patches, mods and driver updates).

Right now I'm way too into Dark Souls to be distracted by anything else. I can't believe I'm deeply addicted to a third-person game played with a gamepad. Hell hath frozen.

I'm going to buy it and I'll put my thoughts here as soon as I can. I am the kind of person who hates being chased in games though. I could hardly play Miasmata, Amnesia, or Call of Cthulhhu (I quit during the chase in the hotel bedrooms), so wish my heart good luck.

I feel guilty for saying this, but I'm looking forward to the DLC too. Back in the day I spent so long nerding out over production sketches and schematics of the Nostromo.

Nothing to feel guilty about. I'd love to sneak around the Nostromo, just as I've greatly enjoyed experiencing other environments from films and books I really love. We're not getting closer and closer to an era where computers can recreate these spaces in pretty damn impressive ways.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Something you people who've followed this game more closely than I can tell me: are there facehuggers in this?

I actually haven't seen or heard anything about them in this.

I'm pretty sure there's only one Alien in the game, which would make sense given the title. Otherwise it would be Aliens: Isolation right?

Game sounds pretty good, even based on the poor reviews I've read. Going to try to fit it into my budget, although that may be tough with the new Borderlands coming out.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

I'm really surprised that there's no tacked on MP mode, eg one that rips off cult HL2 mod "The Hidden" or whatever.

Southquarter.com/fms
    I'm liking what I'm reading in most of the reviews. I'm not surprised that Gamespot and IGN are giving it the lowest marks, they're pretty much centered around the Halo console crowd anyway these days. Sites like PC Gamer, Destructoid, and Eurogamer are giving it much better ratings. Gameplay sounds really tense, and it sounds like they allow the player to get a little creative in how they handle each situation. Definitely sounds like a TTLG kind of game.

Green Man Gaming has a 20% off coupon available if you're on their mailing list, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    Does anyone know whether it's supposed to work with Oculus Rift (perhaps with a later patch)? I've heard contradictory information on that one and whether the OR demo of the game was going to remain a demo only.
    After digging around in config files, it looks like a bunch of people now have it working, even though it's not officially supported.

http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comme...en_and_enable/

Yay! That sounds great. In general, it seems that so far at least people have been pretty good at creating ways of getting Oculus Rift to work with games that weren't designed for it. I don't think that all kinds of 3D games will lend themselves to OR, but something like this, if done well, could be amazing on OR. And potentially kill thousands of players due to heart attacks.

I'm arguing with myself whether I want to get this game now or whether I'll first work on my backlog and get it once it's come down in price. What I've read (both positive and negative) I'm pretty excited about this - but the sensible thing would definitely be to wait, at least until I've got my new PC, which should be earlyish next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    I'm liking what I'm reading in most of the reviews. I'm not surprised that Gamespot and IGN are giving it the lowest marks, they're pretty much centered around the Halo console crowd anyway these days. Sites like PC Gamer, Destructoid, and Eurogamer are giving it much better ratings.
    To heck with reviews. Players rating is much more indicative, and it's 8.4 on metacritic for now, the crowd there usually is quite picky.

Get it. This game is the most God damned terrifying thing I've ever played. Really smart AI (but not psychic) leads to some really intense hide and seek moments.

Got the game, did the first few levels, missed picking up the blueprint for the EMP mines, and am now on the next level, considering hiking all the way back just to pick up the blueprint. Those of you who have gotten farther, do I need to go back for it?

Quote Originally Posted by catbarf View Post
    Got the game, did the first few levels, missed picking up the blueprint for the EMP mines, and am now on the next level, considering hiking all the way back just to pick up the blueprint. Those of you who have gotten farther, do I need to go back for it?
    As long as you don't have to slog through a constant hide and seek, I would. I think it only effects synthetics, right? I've got it, but haven't used it yet so I'm not sure. I'm still at the first major hide and seek section in the medical area.

This game is pretty ace.

The alien isn't the only thing to worry about. The androids are creepy as hell, and there's no way to tell which ones want to kill you and which ones just want to say g'day.

It gets especially hairy when you're dealing with both in the same area. I just slogged through an entire sequence hiding from both droids and the alien, and it took me dying 5 times before realizing the droids don't care that I'm there. In that particular spot anyway.

Hiding from the alien is pretty routine, but it really does learn from you, and quickly.

I've been finding the flame thrower very useful. if it surprises me and I at least have it equipped.. and it's at least outside of a couple arms length of reach. I have about a 50/50 chance of surviving the encounter. 2 or 3 quick rapid blasts and it turns and runs. Or if I'm unlucky it runs through me to get away from me, which causes some pretty serious health damage.

Problem is... I've done it about half a dozen times... and now if the bastard sees me and I've got the flamer equipped (it can tell) it just stands there about 10 feet away staring me down... Just watching me to see what I'm going to do. Then it slowly takes small steps towards me to see what it can get away with. It's tense as hell. IGN can pound sand. It IS repetitive and stressful.. but the more you repeat a task. the more the alien adapts and you have to start changing how you do things. As for unfair.... I think once you get the hang of it, and start to understand what you can get away with when you encounter the alien, it's perfectly fair. Ripley isn't a soldier, she's an engineer and not quick on the trigger. Of course.. the fucking thing learns... It's uncanny.

If this game wasn't stressful, it wouldnt' be worth playing. Amnesia in space is definitely the wrong way to describe it. Its SS2 in so many ways. Just think of the alien as the one big daddy you encounter the whole game. But it can travel place to place at will, and you can't kill it, and it instakills you if it gets its grubby hands on you.

I'm impressed so far. It feels SO different from any other alien game that has come out. Colonial Marines was kind of shit on for not being like Alien. Deserved some of the ridicule, but all in all, it was based on Aliens, which is NOT Alien. This game is 100% Alien, and then some.

It's a great ride so far. Have to quit tonight though. I'd play until 5 am (like I did yesterday) if I don't pack it in right now.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Volitions Advocate View Post
    Colonial Marines was kind of shit on for not being like Alien.
    Uh, I'm pretty sure it was shat upon for being a buggy, unplayable mess.

And since Alien is not a buggy unplayble mess, obviously Colonial Marines was shat on for not begin like it. Obviously.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast