TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Alien: Isolation - The First Alien Film Meets System Shock 2?

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    And since Alien is not a buggy unplayble mess, obviously Colonial Marines was shat on for not begin like it. Obviously.
    Clearly then, Colonial Marines was shat upon for not being like Oregon Trail.

And quite rightly so!

Creative Assembly must have had fun with this little gem. Assholes. Took me a minute to find out why it wasn't moving.

The devs like to play with you on this one.

I just beat it by the way. If you were wondering if it is worth it. It is. I enjoyed AVP 2010 and CM for what they were, but I have no qualms placing this one FAR above them.

if you like SS2 and Thief, or even The Last of Us.. Get this one.

That one got me as well, though it wasn't the only place where my imagination got to me. I also managed to mistake a microscope for a facehugger. Yeah.

Agreed with the praise. The pacing toward the end could be better, but on the whole the game is a gem and a keeper.

Not everyone will have finished it, so perhaps posting spolier-ish screenshots isn't such a good idea?

I was playing with Eyefinity on, and FOV gets stretched a bit toward the far ends of the 2 side screens. Because of that I jumped a few times at one of those stupid perpetual motion machines, since they look a lot bigger at the edge of the screen.

The very end itself has me a bit perplexed. I'm thinking it's probably something saved for the Seasons Pass. Annoying... but that's modern videogames for you.

The game mechanics here could work really well across all sorts of games. The shooty bits are optional... meaning you dont' have shooting arenas, you could play the whole game without ever firing a shot, while at the same time, you could hoarde all of the ammunition you find and run like a juggernaut for about 10 minutes until you ran out. Still not necessarily a recipe for success even being armed to the teeth.

The only gun I ever fired at the alien was the flamethrower. I'd assume the Revolver does absolutely nothing, and I was too chicken to try the shotgun or the boltgun.

I think we were hoping for a great alien game... and what we really got was that, plus a new set of mechanics that could work with ANY game of this type.

verbose douchebag
    Quote Originally Posted by driver View Post
    Not everyone will have finished it, so perhaps posting spolier-ish screenshots isn't such a good idea?
    Was going to say the same. Not a spoiler per se, but probably something people might like to discover for themselves.

Well, this gets a little intense, doesn't it?

Unfortunately I forgot just how god-awful I am at stealth games where the rule of "Sneaking by the dead is easy" isn't in effect, so I'm having a bit of a hard time of it.

My gaming instincts aren't helping either. Early sections, only see the alien once, blaring alarms and killer sex mannequins all over. They wouldn't put the alien in here, it's the first hard section and.....why is the camera panning up death cutscene style?.....Oh.

Gotta say I'm not feeling very isolated though. The killer clowns from the uncanny valley kind of make that hard. Plus, there are other people and they're fucking stupid. Yeah, great idea guys, start shooting at the lone woman with the wrench. It's not like there's a 9-foot tall man eating monster who's attracted to noise around. Fucking morons.

Not all people are hostile

Also,

There IS a way to tell neutral synthetics from hostile ones.

As I said, not very far in. So far, I've been able to tell hostiles from non-hostiles by the blazing alarms and the way they try to kill me. Presumably, I'll need a better method later on.

I know I should be celebrating wrong thread week by posting this in the SS2 forum, but here's a goofy clip doing the rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    Was going to say the same. Not a spoiler per se, but probably something people might like to discover for themselves.
    Missed these 2 comments earlier b/c of posting from my phone.

I wouldn't have posted them if I figured it would ruin somebody's playthrough. Even if you've seen these and are playing, I'm pretty sure it will still get you, assuming you're paying attention enough to see it.

GOTY 2014 for me. Yeah I'm a hopeless fanboy... but honestly. At this point I'm a little worried that Routine won't be as good. Up until last week I was pretty sure it would blow A:I out of the park, now I'm not so sure.

Although yeah, some of the humans can act extremely paranoid. Although I snuck around most of them. I never really encountered any who were actually patrolling around and/or toting guns that weren't hostile. But I could've missed them since I was sneaking anyway, and honestly wouldn't have been able to tell the difference unless I interacted with them.

Well, I can't speak for anybody else, but I hadn't seen that yet and I don't mind. It's an Alien game, and they always include things that look like Aliens but aren't.

It's funny this isn't doing all that well. Highly polished triple A Alien title, good reviews etc.
    Alien fatigue? Horror fatigue? The stain of Colonial Marines? Or is everyone playing Shadow or Mordor?

Chakat sex pillow
    It isn't? #2 in the UK, with FIFA at the top, seems pretty good for an opening week.

Yeah? That's cool.
    I guess I haven't really considered all platforms. I mainly noted that it went in at about #3 on steam and fell out of the top ten pretty fast, now hovering around 14. But it was higher before release on pre-orders, so that's something.
    That still surprises me some though.

Level 10,000 achieved
    There is a lot of cool stuff coming out right now. I ended up going with Mordor. Ethan Carter, Styx, The Evil Within, and this will have to wait for the bargain bucket.

I've been playing Alien Isolation in the Oculus Rift (I haven't even launched it once outside of the Rift) and I love it! There are a few issues, such as a bit of stuttering when I move my head and some things being pushed right into my face (mostly personal computer terminals, mostly), but I'm able to put up with those. There are obvious similarities to SS2, but it also feels almost like a spiritual successor to the Thief games in some ways. In some play sessions, I've spent hours on end without using any weapons.
    I'm familiar enough with the alien that it doesn't frighten me all that much (I used to draw them all the time, for example). When it's nearby, I actually want to get close to it and admire it!

Level 10,000 achieved
    Are you on a Rift DK1 or 2? How's the performance? How well integrated is the VR with regards to gameplay/GUI? How much is it making you want to puke?

I'd figured it was DK2 only but just now I discovered that it works on DK1 as well. omgomgomgomg am I gonna have to buy this or what

Need to do some more research.
    Last edited by henke; 19th Oct 2014 at 08:46.

Chakat sex pillow
    Needs a DX11 card if you want to play it on the PC, mang. PSA for everyone, just in case.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Daaaaaaaaamn. My Nvidia GTX 260 is not gonna cut it, it seems.

Not that it helps you in this situation, but I like what I'm hearing about Nvidia's VR SLI; I'm thinking of getting a new system with a Geforce 970 soon, and when OR comes out I'll probably get a second 970. It seems like SLI is a good approach to VR.

I just did the third mission, but I'm not convinced I'll ever complete this game because it is absolutely terrifying. I can only manage about an hour of gameplay at a time before I feel like bursting into tears. I haven't been killed by the alien yet, just hostile humans. However the brief encounters I've had with the creature thus far have reduced me to a dribbling mess.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Are you on a Rift DK1 or 2? How's the performance? How well integrated is the VR with regards to gameplay/GUI? How much is it making you want to puke?

I'd figured it was DK2 only but just now I discovered that it works on DK1 as well. omgomgomgomg am I gonna have to buy this or what

Need to do some more research.
    I'm playing it with the DK2. The game itself performs really well, but the head movement is a little stuttery. I'm pretty good at tuning that out, but my gf started to feel sick after only a few minutes...
    Some aspects of the game have specific tweaks built in for VR, for example pre-rendered cut scenes play out on a screen floating in front of you (floating in darkness, and not glued to your face). The menu screens and map screen are the same. Other things aren't so great. The health meter and associated info is way down in the corner where it's hard to see. Some of the text on the crafting screen is illegible. When you look at a personal computer console in game, your head gets moved in to about an inch away from the screen and you can't get any farther away. I usually have to close one eye and strain the other one to read emails. Those issues have not stopped me from playing the entire game in VR so far (Steam says I've played 24 hours!), nor have they diminished the experience for me. I have been able to read and understand everything except the descriptions of items at the bottom of the crafting screen, but the items are standard enough that I don't need to read the descriptions.

I suspect the lower resolution of the DK1 would make it harder or impossible to read some things. The emails can at least be viewed in the map screen after they're encountered, but even that might be no good.

There are plenty of reasons that playing in VR is awesome, but being able to peek around and over things with my own head is probably the best reason!

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    Not that it helps you in this situation, but I like what I'm hearing about Nvidia's VR SLI; I'm thinking of getting a new system with a Geforce 970 soon, and when OR comes out I'll probably get a second 970. It seems like SLI is a good approach to VR.
    Right now SLI is not a good approach to VR. Apparently it introduces a little bit of extra lag, which is no good. Maybe some day soon, when video card technology is adjusted to meet the specific needs of Virtual Reality...
    Last edited by Weasel; 19th Oct 2014 at 20:29.

I'm running a Radeon HD 5870. Card is a bit dated, but DX11 isn't so new that getting a card is unobtainium by any stretch. They are going on ebay right now for about 100 bucks (the 5870). I didnt play in VR but I did play using Eyefinity. Aspect ratio of 24:5 resolution 5040 x 1050. On ultra settings with AA and motion blur turned off. It ran just fine.

If Sega was willing to pump money into this game and release it against all conventions of a AAA title. I think everybody who wants the industry to stop shoving worthless fluff down our throats needs to buy this game. If you want more AAA titles like the old Theif and SS and what not, gotta show them we are willing to support titles like this. Just my $0.05 (since pennies no longer exist in Canada)

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast