TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Alien: Isolation - The First Alien Film Meets System Shock 2?

I swear, the Alien in the game sometimes acts like it's more interested in scaring you then in actually killing you. I've had the damn thing walk into a room I was in, with no cover available and all I could do was hide in the corner waiting for death. It walks in, stops where all it needs to do is turn it's head and I'm lunch, and then pauses for a second. Then turns around 180 - with it's head pointed directly at me for a split second in the turn - then stopped again for a couple of seconds, then it walked right out the door.

Either the thing failed a spot check hard, or it was deliberately fucking with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Phatose View Post
    I swear, the Alien in the game sometimes acts like it's more interested in scaring you then in actually killing you. I've had the damn thing walk into a room I was in, with no cover available and all I could do was hide in the corner waiting for death. It walks in, stops where all it needs to do is turn it's head and I'm lunch, and then pauses for a second. Then turns around 180 - with it's head pointed directly at me for a split second in the turn - then stopped again for a couple of seconds, then it walked right out the door.

Either the thing failed a spot check hard, or it was deliberately fucking with me.
    What difficulty level are you playing on? I've seen things like that happen, but not a lot. In the Alien's defense, we don't actually know how good its vision is supposed to be, do we? It doesn't even have obvious eyes!

Normal difficulty.

Mind you, that's not been a common occurrence for me or anything, but it was just so pants-wettingly intense that it kind of burned into my memory.

I have to believe it's vision is pretty good, because on other occasions it's seen me through two glass windows while I was being very quiet and came running to eat me.

Quote Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
    In the Alien's defense, we don't actually know how good its vision is supposed to be, do we? It doesn't even have obvious eyes!
    Giger's creation was made with a real human skull. The head was slightly transparent so that when light shone on it you could see the empty eye sockets. I don't enjoy speculating on lore or canon much, but I wondered whether it was meant to be a vestige of the host's DNA (or, it could just be Giger being Giger.)

If it was just Giger being Giger, the eye sockets would've had penises in them.

I wonder if, at some point in the design of the Alien, there was a discussion along the lines of "That's great, except without the cocks."

Quote Originally Posted by Neb View Post
    Giger's creation was made with a real human skull. The head was slightly transparent so that when light shone on it you could see the empty eye sockets. I don't enjoy speculating on lore or canon much, but I wondered whether it was meant to be a vestige of the host's DNA (or, it could just be Giger being Giger.)
    They did pretty much make it canon in other movies that the alien inherits traits from its host (such as the Alien in Alien3 that runs on all fours because it came from a dog (or cow in the Director's Cut).

I did know about those eye sockets, but how would it see without eyes in the sockets? Alien Resurrection has the strongest evidence I can think of (in the Quadrilogy) for the aliens having sight, when they're behind glass and respond to Brad Dourif taunting them with a big button. It's not definitive, but it seems to be a stronger case than the simple prey stalking that occurs otherwise, which could be done with other senses.

Quote Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
    Right now SLI is not a good approach to VR. Apparently it introduces a little bit of extra lag, which is no good. Maybe some day soon, when video card technology is adjusted to meet the specific needs of Virtual Reality...
    From what I've read, it's either restricted to the new cards (900 series), not implemented yet or both. The thinking behind it sounds good; there's some info here, even if it's rather advertisey:

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/art...reality-gaming

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatose View Post
    Maybe it just wasn't hungry right then. It could've just come into the room for some other reason but then forgotten why it did so and walked back out. We've all been there, right? Pretty impressive AI if that's the case!

Not that it's particularly relevant, but I always liked that we had no idea at all about the alien's sensory equipment. Does it see? Hear? Smell? Or does it sense us in ways that are, well, alien? There were no obvious relatable sense organs on the damn thing, so you couldn't obviously "aim for the eyes, Boo!" or similar.

On a different, similarly irrelevant note: while I generally like the extended version of Alien 3, the dog always worked better for me as a host than the ox, because the resulting alien comes across as more canine than bovine. I can't remember what the birthing scene was in the longer version, but the alien being born from something living is definitely more creepy than it coming from an ox carcass. Unless the ox is alive as well, but I simply have no memory of such a scene.

The ox is a slaughtered one, hanging up and surrounded by flies. We don't see whether it died as a result of alien impregnation or was butchered regardless. I also think the dog makes more sense - surely a parasitic organism like that would require a living host, otherwise it implies that all the aliens need to breed is somewhere to function loosely as a womb. That ox had been dead long enough that it wouldn't even have been warm. They could presumably therefore impregnate a sofa. Wonder what traits that would impart on the creature... nice chintz upholstery perhaps?

Not sure how nutritious a sofa would be as a host, although I like the idea of a paisley-textured xenomorph. It wouldn't be very scary, mind you... until that paisley nightmare bites your head off. In any case, the dog-->ox change was definitely what would be called a "Verschlimmbesserung" in German: an improvement for the worse.

Quote Originally Posted by SD View Post
    I just did the third mission, but I'm not convinced I'll ever complete this game because it is absolutely terrifying. I can only manage about an hour of gameplay at a time before I feel like bursting into tears. I haven't been killed by the alien yet, just hostile humans. However the brief encounters I've had with the creature thus far have reduced me to a dribbling mess.
    Gah … I didn't manage to get through mission 2 before calling it quits … (the original movie terrified me as a teenager!)

Thanked my friend for the game loan, but I'm content to watch the rest through a "Let's Play". With my dreadful memory, this will take the edge off, but still allow me to experience the game if/when I impulse buy it (on sale, of course) a couple years down the road.

For now, I'll just leave Ripley cowering in the locker …

verbose douchebag
    I've got a copy of viva piñata which I no longer use if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    On a different, similarly irrelevant note: while I generally like the extended version of Alien 3, the dog always worked better for me as a host than the ox, because the resulting alien comes across as more canine than bovine.
    The Alien (TM) - Now with 4 stomachs! And udders!

I'm terrified even thinking about it.

Worse things than that have been done to the Alien franchise:

Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    I've got a copy of viva piñata which I no longer use if you're interested.
    Hmmm ... Still sounds like I have to worry about things erupting from stomachs of other things.

Quote Originally Posted by nicked View Post
    What's this meant to be, then?

I am really really beggining to think the Xeno does in fact have "Fuck with the player" AI.

Going through one of the later sections, accidentally set off one of those grid-scanner security alarms. Predictable, toothy jumps right on down, and the only place to hide is under a desk.

He starts walking back and forth in front of the desk, beautifully illuminated in those now red security scanner grid. Pacing back and forth. Then jumps back into the vent - setting the alarm off again, so he jumps back down again.

This repeats about 3 times. On the last one, he quite literally walks up to the desk I'm cowering under and fucking poses there like I'm supposed to blow him under the table. And just stands there for about 3 seconds. Entire lower body, definitely pointed at me.

Then he jumps off again. Doesn't jump back down this time. I carefully sneak out, don't set off the alarms, go over to the terminal nearby, start to hack it.....and then I hear him jump back down.

Yeah, that ended badly for me.

I never did it... but apparently you can step on its tail. Kinda pisses it off. I sorta want to try.

Quote Originally Posted by N'Al View Post
    What's this meant to be, then?
    I believe that's a "Bull Alien" from the second wave of Kenner action figures from the 90s. I remember Wave 1 had a Scorpion Alien (pretty much a normal alien), and a Gorilla Alien (funny proportions). I could google for the other specifics, but I'll let someone else do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Volitions Advocate View Post
    I never did it... but apparently you can step on its tail. Kinda pisses it off. I sorta want to try.
    I can confirm that touching the tail alerts it. Once its tail brushed against me when I was crouched motionless under a desk and somehow that tipped it off to my presence. I've also chased the thing and stepped on its tail at least once, because I like to get close to it sometimes. It's cute!

Yeah there were bull aliens, snake aliens, a praying mantis alien, a rhino alien... all from comics or action figures.

Ok, I'm kinda stumped on chapter 11: I'm supposed to return the the Marshal Quarters having escaped the jettisoned capsule with the Alien aboard. I'm in a terminal area leading to the galleria but there's a security shutter with some hostile people behind it that I'm supposed to get through. My objective indicator leads me back a little ways to a locked hatch in the wall that I can't find any means of opening. Am I missing something obvious?

Typically, having spent ages hunting around, I find the solution 2 minutes after I ask for help. I had to activate a cleaning bot to open the hatch. That required marching right up to the security gate while the mob on the other side were taking pot shots at me. Can't think how I missed that.
    Last edited by driver; 21st Oct 2014 at 12:49.

Game of the Year.

That is all.

I'm not sure I'd go that far, but it's certainly the first game in ages that made me genuinely afraid of a Xeno. Haven't gotten that since lifecycle mode multiplayer back in AvP2 and those fucking facehuggers.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast