TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Alien: Isolation - The First Alien Film Meets System Shock 2?

One thing that I didn't expect was the alien to check under things. I was hiding under a gurney and it walked by. To my horror, it actually stopped and bent down to look under the gurney I was hiding under and said hello.
    I just didn't expect that at all.

It took me a bit to realize that the alien can hear the pings of the motion tracker.
    That was a nice touch.

And I just hit the reactor core.

Well, fuck.

I finished it yesterday, enjoyed it for the most part but found little parts frustrating (Usually the insta-death bits where you had to almost know in advance what was going to happen).

I actually found the synthetics far more creepy than the alien, their bland monotone voices and jerky movements as they implacably marched towards you, eyes glowing was far more unsettling than anything else. The bit that sticks in my head was just after I got the gas mask. Being unable to see more than a few meters ahead was already unsettling, but having one of them march out right in front of me almost made me jump out of my seat. I turned to run only to have another march up from behind,forcing me to duck into a doorway on my left where I sprinted for the safety of a locker, which I proceeded to cower in for the next five minutes.

Unless I managed to miss something entirely, they didn't include one of the major features of the Alien films: a chest-bursting scene. Though you do see one of your mates with a face-hugger attached. I also did wonder if Ripley had been infected after she got captured near the end. As I was escaping a couple of aliens approached me but didn't attack, much like in Alien 3. I was also expecting Samuels to betray me at some point, but his sacrifice was actually rather well written so I felt a shit for suspecting him.

I just love how they tease you with Samuels. I had him pinned as a synthetic from the start, when he mentioned he didn't need as much sleep as the rest of the crew, and was expecting a big reveal of some sort. But no, the fact just gets mentioned very casually and it's as everyone knew from the start. Then, when the alien was ejected along with the lab, I figured the way they'd reintroduce it would be Samuels somehow bringing it back on WY orders. When the Working Joes went full on berserk, I was sure that was his doing. Then I saw him arguing with a Joe and figured he's not responsible after all, but then he delivers a *vicious* beatdown on the synth and I'm still afraid of him. And then comes the sacrifice.

Now *that's* some masterful writing/direction.

I suppose what with the first film and then Prometheus everyone would have been expecting that, so hats off for not being so obvious.

Quite the entertainer, the little slimy fellow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkHY2ksJqNQ

Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    Quite the entertainer, the little slimy fellow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkHY2ksJqNQ
    That clip gets a lot better once you notice the channel name.

Quote Originally Posted by Random_Taffer View Post
    One thing that I didn't expect was the alien to check under things. I was hiding under a gurney and it walked by. To my horror, it actually stopped and bent down to look under the gurney I was hiding under and said hello.
    I just didn't expect that at all.

It took me a bit to realize that the alien can hear the pings of the motion tracker.
    That was a nice touch.
    Just like I didn't know it could enter the vent shafts in the floor . I was hiding there with my flamethrower and when I saw it enter it and move through it as an monstrous iguana towards me I was so paralyzed that I didn't even use the flamethrower. The genius of it was that the game convinced me I was safe in the vent shafts .

Is this a go-out-and-buy-right-now game? Everyone's impressions seem really positive in this thread, though this last page is kind of opaque since I'm avoiding spoilers.

ZylonBane
    Just wait for the inevitable "GOTY + All DLC + Patches and Also Cheaper" edition.

Well, just beat it.

The first 10 hours or so are fantastic, but then when it gets towards the end, it forgets what made it work to begin with.

It's a good game, and I'd recommend playing it eventually, but if you've waited this long you might as well do as ZylonBane suggests, and wait til the inevitable complete edition. It's solid, but not "must play right now".

ZylonBane
    But is it as scary as Five Nights at Freddy's?

After playing off and on for a few weeks I'm now done with the campaign. Steam says I've played 15 hours, and I regret playing on Normal difficulty, because I was never challenged for resources (maxed out my inventory about halfway through), and it was too easy once I got the flamethrower to just give the alien a burst while backing away, and not have to hide much.

I have a few things to say about the game. Minor spoilers follow.

Good-
    -Writing. It'd be easy for an Alien game to fall into a few predictable cliches, I have to say that I think this one was very well done and definitely subverted a few of my expectations. Even as a long-time Alien franchise fan I didn't know where it was going.
    -Length. For a purely linear game with some backtracking, fifteen hours for a playthrough is pretty awesome for a modern release. While there is a fair bit of SS2-style 'hey remember that locked door you passed three hours ago? Time to go back there!' it usually involves some new shortcuts so you're not retreading the same ground over and over again like in Dead Space.
    -Gameplay variety. There are parts where you evade the alien, parts where you encounter humans, parts where you deal with homicidal synthetics, and parts where you're not threatened at all and can simply explore. It mixes it up pretty well, I think.
    -Diversity of game mechanics. There's viable combat, stealth, resource management, minigames, and exploration. It's not just about hiding.
    -Style. They nailed the atmosphere and the retro-future look, and it's chock-full of subtle callouts to the film. One thing I really hated about Colonial Marines was how gimmicky and shoehorned a lot of the references felt (sharp sticks! powerloader fight!) but little things in Isolation like the keycard design and the computer interfaces were nice touches.

Neutral-
    -Alien mechanics. I like that there are many areas where it won't drop down into the game area, and you just hear it crawling in the vents, unless you do something to attract it. It's often following you, but doesn't become a direct threat unless you do something stupid (like shoot a gun, or trip an alarm). Once it's in the area, though, or if you're in an area where it's scripted to show up, it can get extremely frustrating as it occasionally exhibits a sixth sense for where you're hiding and patrols endlessly, staying no more than thirty feet from your position at all times.
    -Minigames. While they're mostly a step above just pressing e, they do become somewhat repetitive by the end of the game and more importantly, the long animations they lock you into even when cancelling because oh shit the alien's right there are often lethal.

Bad-
    -Pacing. There were two or three moments where I was sure I was at the end of the game, then suddenly found myself starting a new quest, and some long, dull segments (one involving a spacewalk) that just drag on with little tension.
    -Useless equipment. I never found a use for the smoke bombs or flares, and flashbangs and noisemakers were extremely situational (noisemakers in particular sometimes straight-up didn't work). The EMP grenade was by far the most useful craftable item to me, with the molotov a close second for its ability to scare the alien with a good throw.

Overall I'd give it a 4/5. Not perfect, but extremely engaging and definitely well-done.

Just some more worthless speculation...

I just finished a 2nd play through and holy hell the Sanctuary was no less freaking difficult or terrifying as it was the first time. I must have died 7 times even though I knew exactly what to do.. jeeze.

Aside from that though, I'm pretty sure Ripley DIDN"T get impregnated, for 2 reasons. There was no dead facehugger in the vicinity when she woke up, which I suppose you can claim may or may not matter, since there was a dead dude on the ground with a hole in his chest, and no dead facehugger near him. BUT, as soon as I got back up and torched the nearest egg, the other unhatched egg in the room hatched and the facehugger attacked me. Followed by at least 3 others on the way back to the airlock. As for not being attacked by the 2 aliens.. I don't think they actually saw her.

So that's what I'm thinking... like I said - worthless speculation. Can't wait for the seasons pass content.

That's doesn't really seem like the kind of thing that requires speculation, given the whole "We saw a picture of her grown old in the special edition of Aliens" thing.

And Weyland-Yutani is above lying to people, as we well know.

yeah I'm kind of with Driver on that one. Also, no telling if perhaps she got facehugged and then gets rescued by WY and has it surgically removed. Colonial Marines would say that isn't possible, but I don't know how comfortable I am with taking CM as canon. Lots of possibilities.

Also the alien on the Torrens WILL kill Ripley if you don't do the QTE properly, so there's a bit more evidence to support that she's not alien preggo.

Quote Originally Posted by Volitions Advocate View Post
    Just some more worthless speculation...

I just finished a 2nd play through and holy hell the Sanctuary was no less freaking difficult or terrifying as it was the first time. I must have died 7 times even though I knew exactly what to do.. jeeze.

Aside from that though, I'm pretty sure Ripley DIDN"T get impregnated, for 2 reasons. There was no dead facehugger in the vicinity when she woke up, which I suppose you can claim may or may not matter, since there was a dead dude on the ground with a hole in his chest, and no dead facehugger near him. BUT, as soon as I got back up and torched the nearest egg, the other unhatched egg in the room hatched and the facehugger attacked me. Followed by at least 3 others on the way back to the airlock. As for not being attacked by the 2 aliens.. I don't think they actually saw her.

So that's what I'm thinking... like I said - worthless speculation. Can't wait for the seasons pass content.
    I have to say the whole 'wake up webbed in the hive and effortlessly rip yourself free before you're facehugged' thing feels pretty cheap. Colonial Marines did it too, I can't recall if earlier AvP games did, but it kind of undermines the threat of the aliens if anyone they capture can just get up and walk out.

Quote Originally Posted by Volitions Advocate View Post
    yeah I'm kind of with Driver on that one. Also, no telling if perhaps she got facehugged and then gets rescued by WY and has it surgically removed. Colonial Marines would say that isn't possible, but I don't know how comfortable I am with taking CM as canon. Lots of possibilities.

Also the alien on the Torrens WILL kill Ripley if you don't do the QTE properly, so there's a bit more evidence to support that she's not alien preggo.
    Yeah, it was just a thought that occurred to me when those two aliens hissed at me, then scampered off without attacking. Had she been impregnated at that point it would have made her funtionally immune to alien attack, so a lot of the tension would have gone out of the ending.

I thought the reason the Torrens alien hesitates is that Amanda's wearing a spacesuit. It's almost like the alien's not quite sure if it's dealing with a living being, much like they don't attack the Working Joes.

I was referring to an earlier encounter just after Ripley frees herself after being captured, I was crawling under some wreckage when two aliens dropped down in front of me, they 'hissed' then turned and left. It felt kinda scripted (Though I've only played it once, so I don't know) and my first thought was Ripley was impregnated already. But that doesn't really hold up to much scrutiny.

I don't remember that particular situation, to be honest. Might have been something semi-random.

You definitely ran into it. I did.

That said, the facehuggers after you get abducted will happily get you, so if she's a host by that point, they clearly didn't get the memo. The two aliens can probably be explained as not having actually seen her, and instead reacting to the station blowing apart. Those are a busy couple of minutes for everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by van HellSing View Post
    I don't remember that particular situation, to be honest. Might have been something semi-random.
    When you're crawling through a 'tunnel' of wreckage right after you break free in the hive. As you're crouch-walking along, a pair of aliens drop down in front of you, sniff around, and leave.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Who's played this on the hardest difficulty level? I'm trying to stick with it, but I'm stuck on the sequence with the addict Dr. and trying to find the keycard in the medical area. The Alien's speed and awareness just seem so brutal, I feel like the only way get by this part would be blind luck. The motion tracker's range is for shit, I'll get nothing on the radar, open a door, and there's the alien starting at me from about 30 feet away. Good night. Gah, I think I died about 30 times in this area before just deciding to take a break. Any tips? I'm enjoying the game but atm it's just frustrating.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast