Thread: Announcement - Thief "10 Rooms" Contest

Southquarter.com/fms

Announcement - Thief "10 Rooms" Contest

Thief "10 Rooms" Contest
    For Thief 1/Thief Gold/Thief 2

Starts: Now
    Ends: Monday, February 24th, 2014

Rules

Create a mission consisting of 10 rooms (no more, no less) in any style you choose. Fill and populate them any way you see fit, with no restrictions on AI, objects, models, lights, or anything else. You can also connect them however you choose, either by standard hallways, pathways, teleport, or whatever other method you can think of. But the connecting areas should be very secondary, minimized, and incidental to the overall level - the majority of the game contest should be located in the "rooms” themselves.

EDIT (added on 1/17/14) - Any type of "blue room" or other inaccessible room to the player used for scripting or "behind the scenes" type stuff does NOT count as one of your 10 rooms. Make as many of these as you want, as long as the player cannot get there.

Details

There are no restrictions or limitations on what size or shape your rooms can be. The term “room” shouldn't be taken too literally - each “room” can be any contained area - something manmade like a jail cell, bank vault or a dining room, or natural like a cave or body of water or even a canyon. Each room should be it’s own area, with some kind of a barrier on all six directions (N, S, E, W, up, down). That’s not to say every “room" necessarily has to have 6 walls though. There’s really no hard and fast rules, just be creative and use good judgement and stay within the spirit of the contest.

On that note - this contest is just for fun, so don’t fret too much over details or semantics. No one will be disqualified, although there will be a voting category for how well your mission adhered to the rules. Once the missions are released, I reserve the right ask questions publicly on why you consider a certain area a “room” - just be prepared to answer.

Beyond the “10 room” restriction, there are no other limitations. Custom content is more than welcome and even encouraged (but not required). All missions must be built from scratch. And you should really use NewDark.

The contest starts immediately, and missions are due on Monday, February 24th. They will be released on February 25th, the same date as the new Thief game. This will give everyone the chance to play a little old and new Thief at the same time.

Voting

Below are the voting categories for each mission in the contest. The manner in which the votes will be collected has yet to be determined, more details to follow.

1) "10 Rooms" Theme - How well did the author adhere to the contest rules?
    2) Overall Creativity & Imagination
    3) Gameplay - Was the level fun to play, have interesting objectives, present a reasonable challenge, etc.

Good luck! If you have any questions on the rules or requirements, post them here for all to see.
    Last edited by Brethren; 17th Jan 2014 at 01:11.

Haha I'm in. Room Arrangement on scratch is done and the idea what to place in 9/10 rooms as well. (~1h after I started to write this post) Out of ideas.... oh wait ... I just got the idea my last room Tomorrow I start building.
    A cave counts as a room I think I make use of that and I also have an idea about a room that doesn't appear like a room.

Is this going to be anonymous or not?

Summer Vacation Contest Winner 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by nickie View Post
    Is this going to be anonymous or not?
    Preferably, as it adds a little mystery to the contest.

YAY!!!

Can't wait to start making my entry I can already start to get a great idea of how the rooms are going to be set up

If in one big air brush put several solid brush-walls - will be one or several rooms?

Southquarter.com/fms
    Use your best judgment, but to me it sounds like you have multiple rooms going on there. I'd have to see it to give you a better assessment though.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Just wanted to bring attention to the fact that I added a stipulation to the rules regarding the 10 room count. Any "blue rooms" or other rooms inaccessible to the player do not count against the total. Ideally these rooms are used for various scripting purposes or other technical wizardry, but they can also just be "scenery rooms" that the player views but cannot access. There shouldn't be any usable objects in these other rooms either, that the player might be able to reach through bars or a portcullis or something like that.

This looks like the perfect contest for The Affairs of Wizards 2.

*pokes NV*

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    I second that! He could use his fancy magic to make a 40-room mission using only 10 rooms.

Wouldn't that be somewhat against the spirit of the contest?

Plus, over 2,500 receptrons in a single mission was enough for one lifetime.

Southquarter.com/fms
    We know you can do better.

He won't bite. I tried last contest, or the one before that.

I'm not participating, since I don't know anything about Dromed (oh, but I made quite some custom ambience sounds, mainly creepy stuff, so maybe someone wants to use some of that? ).

I merely wanted to say that I love you all for still making FMs!
    I play Fan Missons on a regular basis, mostly in Multiplayer with a good friend, and of course that's only possible, because of all the great Fan Missions that are out there and that are still being made, so I just spontaneously wanted to say thanks to each and everyone who has ever made a Fan Mission, is making one right now, will make one in the future, or has some way or another contributed to the making of Fan Missions. You all rock!

Now carry on and make awesome new FMs!

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoGuy View Post
    This looks like the perfect contest for The Affairs of Wizards 2.
    That would be awesome! I really liked the first one.
    Klatremus' Supreme Thief Site - Walkthroughs, Loot Lists & Ghost Reports
    Let's Supreme Ghost Thief - YouTube Channel with Thief Let's Plays

10 rooms eh, no restrictions on size eh, hmm does 10 rooms at 512x512 count
    No probably not....just joking.
    Now can I tear myself away from the mission I'm making I wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    Use your best judgment, but to me it sounds like you have multiple rooms going on there. I'd have to see it to give you a better assessment though.
    If it was buildings inside of an air brush meant to be an outdoor area those would be considered rooms right? Say I build a solid brush, then put an air brush inside it to make it a room for a building. Would that be considered 1 room, or is the fact that I have an air brush/solid brush combo count as two rooms? Actually, I think more clearly and more directly to the point, (and a better question would be) when you say "room" do you mean each air brush or solid brush in dromed?

I'm seriously considering joining the contest, but I can't promise anything.

NewDark 64³ Contest Winner
    The rooms are not defined as brushes or by hard limits in dromed. The rooms are more defined by the space the player is in. A single interior room could theoritically be built of 100 brushes or more (i.e. depending on how much detail you want to put in there), but still potentially count as a single room.

Okay, I figured as such, just wanted to make sure for myself and for the benefit of others as well.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Man, truth be told, I almost forgot about this. Well, anyway, here's your reminder:

ONE WEEK TO GO.

If you haven't started yet, well, you're in trouble. But hey, it's only 10 rooms, so anything is possible.

Where do we post our missions? Well obviously we have to PM you but what I meant is what website do you upload them to? Are there any you recommend?

Southquarter.com/fms
    I don't really use sites like that much - maybe Dropbox or Google docs? Someone else might be able to offer a better solution.

It depends on the size of the mission. Most hosting sites have a limit of 200 megs for free. You have to pay to get more. Dropbox might be larger, not sure. But if the file is smaller than 200 Mb, I suggest something like Mediafire.

NewDark 64³ Contest Winner
    Dropbox gives you 2 GBs of free space.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Me and R_T use Dropbox and Drive extensively for storing files for our missions. If you have a GMail account, then you already have Drive with like 15GB available for free. Otherwise, you can make a Dropbox account also for free.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast