TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kingdom Come - Deliverance

I'd say bandages and healing items are the way to go with this. There's only so far into realism you can go before it starts negatively affecting gameplay.

Maybe there could be some system of long term (max) health and short term health. Attacks remove points from both. Bandages can heal short-term health so you can keep fighting, but your maximum health would drop, so after sustaining multiple wounds, you don't recover as far. Then you go to a hospital location and get some herbs and bed rest, and recover the lot.

Seems like the handling of combat as a whole is either going to make or break this one.

I'd assume they're going to use all of the staples of a third person action RPG, like stamina and hit points and whatnot. From what I'm gathering they're not going for brutal realism so much as a D&D style RPG without the fantasy elements.

Brutal realism would be a fun mechanic to try, though. Not really 'long game' material, because it'd be fucking awful, but it'd be funny if they included a mode where you accumulate niggling injuries in a realistic fashion (severed nerve in arm due to getting nicked by a lucky thrust: permanent loss of dexterity, etc).

I bet you there'd be people out there hardcore enough to try whole playthroughs like that, too.

"I now needed to storm the keep, which would be difficult because I had only one leg and eye remaining, so half my monitor faded to black and I couldn't strafe left. Also I had acquired double incontinence due to crippling bowel injuries from a nasty arrow hit I didn't block, so guards would be likely to smell me from some distance. A degree of deception was therefore necessary...."

Quote Originally Posted by DDL View Post
    Brutal realism would be a fun mechanic to try, though. Not really 'long game' material, because it'd be fucking awful, but it'd be funny if they included a mode where you accumulate niggling injuries in a realistic fashion (severed nerve in arm due to getting nicked by a lucky thrust: permanent loss of dexterity, etc).
    Funny indeed. "It's just a flesh wound!"

Quote Originally Posted by nicked View Post
    Maybe there could be some system of long term (max) health and short term health. Attacks remove points from both. Bandages can heal short-term health so you can keep fighting, but your maximum health would drop, so after sustaining multiple wounds, you don't recover as far. Then you go to a hospital location and get some herbs and bed rest, and recover the lot.
    You've just described the health system of Vietcong, which I've always admired greatly. It's still game-like, but it's an excellent compromise between realistic wounds and typical game healing, and it means there are often consequences to getting into combat that other games don't provide. It worked really well, so I'd love to see more games adopt such a system.

Yeah and some people who made Vietcong are working on this as well. I actually wouldnt be surprised if similar health system appeared in the game.

verbose douchebag
    They could go further. "You have taken a shivering ague, the apothecary's leeches are not working, you languish for 3 days before dying from your illness. Your widow has been sent the value of your horse in silver." (or however fucking old-fashioned shit works, I'm no historian).

Realistic rogue legacy! Main quest: survive long enough to breed. Side quest: defeat an ancient evil or some shit.

Guy(s) who worked on this also worked on Arma, means the open world will be incredibly lush and realistic.

It also means a very good editor and full support for moders (both of which were announced from the start) in the best Operation Flashpoint/Arma tradition!

Actually if KC:D attracts such massive moding community as OFP and Arma did it will open all sorts of options (Game of Thrones mod? Witcher mod? Crusades mod…?) – this game definitely has tremendous potential.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Hopefully it won't follow the Arma tradition of being shipped as a barely functional, pile of shit that needs at least ~1 year's worth of patches to be playable.

You mean the tradition that Arma III completely bypassed?

Here is an unedited English translation of Dan Vávra´s interview with some kind of Swiss magazine.

1 hour of gameplay:

I like it!

And combat preview:

Is there going to be a level where you have to squeal like a pig?

Possibly - if you donate enough to the kickstarter (which has reached over 1 milion £ already) they may add a playable pig as a stretch goal. Afterall they already added a playable woman (for a tutorial storyline) and a dog companion.
    Last edited by LoLion; 20th Feb 2014 at 03:26.

verbose douchebag
    Quote Originally Posted by LoLion View Post
    they may add a playable pig as a stretch goal. Afterall they already added a playable woman
    Other companies should take note of this progressive attitude.

In some way Mount & Blade did this by decreasing some of your personal stats after decisive defeats in the battlefield. And Kingdom Come – Deliverance does look like a polished version of M&B after all. For a computer game the longsword combat isn't even bad, although I get a slightly different image of fighting from the treatises.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    Other companies should take note of this progressive attitude.
    Heh, right?

Isn't this a create-a-character game? (going by the Kickstarter page) If they're not running with pre-written, established characters with specific personalities, then why restrict gender choices? I don't get it.

I mean if they are using pre-established characters, it's not that big of a deal (aside from the fact that games need more believable female protagonists anyway, but whatever.)

Level 10,000 achieved
    They'd probably have to rewrite a lot of the story and dialogue for a female protagonist. Simply swapping out the male character for a female one and having the NPCs treat the player the same way wouldn't really be convincing if you're going for historical accuracy, which seems to be what they're aiming for.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Well, at least it's set in the actual medieval Europe and not some fantasy bullshit where historical accuracy isn't an excuse.

Be nice if there were more female protags in games, is all.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Oh I'm with you there. I regularly pick the female character, given the choice. Not sure why. Maybe pretending to be a lady who runs around slicing up zombies is my way of getting in touch with my feminine side.

well I heard there is a new Doom game on its way so heres hoping eh dethy?

Isn't this a create-a-character game? (going by the Kickstarter page)
    Well it isn’t actually. The character has a set name and background (kinda like Tommy Angelo in the first Mafia for example) – player can probably change his appearance and definitely decide to build his stats in certain way (combat oriented, stealth oriented or interaction oriented though there are no classes per se), but you don’t get to create a character from the scratch.

The female protagonist was not included simply because (as difficult as it seems to be to accept for a surprising number of people) women simply didn’t play significant role in the 15th century Czech society, politics or warfare. And this is supposed to be a historical simulation as much as it is an RPG.

After a whole lot of bitching in the kickstarter comments Warhorse decided to implement a short tutorial where you play as a female (IIRC you use stealth to save the main character from an ambush and treat his wounds or something to that effect) though, so there is at least that. I wonder if somebody starts to complain that there are only white people in the game though… or that there isnt going to be an option for the protagonist to be openly gay.