TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kingdom Come - Deliverance

Kingdom Come - Deliverance

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to inform everyone (a bit of patriotism, lets say - as it is made here, Czech Republic) a medieval themed open world RPG game is being kickstarted (succesfuly) here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...me-deliverance

The script writer/game director for this game is Dan Vavra, the guy which written and directed the first Mafia, and also worked on the second one.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Say, that actually looks great.

It looks gorgeous, and the combat seems to have some actual weight to it. Like Skyrim but without the fantasy element.

Since it's already gotten funding after a mere 3 days, I won't be chipping in, but I look forward to the release.

That sounds badass! Lol at 7 people going all-in at the Pope level ($2000)....

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Quote Originally Posted by Volca View Post
    the guy which written and directed the first Mafia
    I hope he's improved since then.

Soooo… this is gonna be Mount & Blade with actual storyline and well-made non-linear quests + Skyrim without the fantasy elements? Well, I wonder where this game was my whole life

Totally awesome stuff! Its quite sad projects like these would not be possible without kickstarter, but the fact that this game could get 300k+ in like three days just goes to show how much disconnect there is between the large publishers and actual gamers.

verbose douchebag
    Awesome. Loved Mafia.

Good thing you guys made a thread about this, otherwise I was gonna. Especially after seeing the trailer thing yesterday, looks good, and in particular the combat system seemed to have a lot of potential. The parrying and stuff looks interesting, and if it's hitpoint based under the hood it could provide a long-needed reprieve from the usual videogame imagery where half-naked bandits take seven or eight blows from a spiked club before they go down.

Also, developer gets extra brownie points from me for being based in Prague, which is fucking gorgeous.

Thanks for reminding me/us, Volca! I read about this game a few weeks ago, but kinda forgot about it already.
    I love both Mafia and Hidden & Dangerous games (and Vietcong wasn't bad either) by Illusion Softworks. The theme in Kingdom Come sounds interesting, and if the planned features are even half as good as they make them sound, this should be good. I don't normally pay too much attention to Kickstarter projects, but I think I'm going to back this one... the £30 tier sounds good to me.

Oh, and dethy:
    [Dan Vávra was] Nominated for a Game Developers Choice Award for Excellence in Writing for Mafia. Mafia won Game of the Year and Best Screenplay awards in a number of countries
    Just saying

All that and fifty cents gets him a bag of chips. Mafia's story is terrible, its pacing is all off and the characters are a bunch of clumsy mob movie pastiches with absolutely zero development. About the only thing it really does well is the final scene is loaded with gravitas, but it doesn't really make the entire rest of the game worth it. Unfortunately we live in an age where gravitas is mistaken for depth.

I don't know how they plan to approach narrative/plot in this game but it can't be much worse than Mafia's, and considering Chris Avellone improved considerably from his Planescape Torment days (which, as GBM put it on Facebook recently, was Sanitarium written by a twelfth-grader instead of a ninth-grader) I won't be surprised if Vavra's writing ability has developed more than Mafia's characters ever did.

Level 10,000 achieved
    *sigh* Let's not let another thread spiral into endless arguments about whether or not Mafia was any good! it was really good though LETS JUST MOVE ON PEOPLE!

So, it's sounding a lot like Gothic 1 & 2 by the description. Color me interested.

Combining the open world of Skyrim with Dark Souls' combat sounds about perfect, but I'm not convinced about this combat yet. Dark Souls didn't use inverse kinematics; they just had tons and tons of animations along with appropriate sound effects. What they're showing in the video looks floaty and unsatisfying, a little like Oblivion. I hope I'm wrong.

This actually sounds like the original feature list of Stalker, but with swords. Which was madness to this day. But madness I like.

I dunno about Dark Souls as the comparison point. They made it sound a lot less rigid than that (and I hope it is). But it's a good popular recent name-check for 'hard, but fair' I suppose.

Oh and I love the "free-to-play MMO for iPad" dig

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    Chris Avellone improved considerably from his Planescape Torment days
    Every game that he's been the principal writer/designer on has been of fairly equal quality, and they all have very similar mechanics in terms of how the player has the ability to alter the story, which is the real reason people say that he's a good writer. Then again I've actually played/enjoyed every Black Isle/Obsidian game so I feel somewhat qualified to make that statement.

planescape's writing is terrible, though

Moderator and Priest
    What's so terrible about it?

It's not like I haven't gone over this a hundred times.

Plus I am sure whatever you have to say is “bland like a Linkin Park album” anyway.

The game is actually going to be set in the real world setting (Czech lands in 1403) and is based directly on the events that took place at that time (ie the Czech king Václav IV being imprisoned in Austria and later saved by a group of loyal knights).

At first I expected they will base the game in some randomly created world (kinda like Mount & Blade: Warband), so I wonder how close they are actually going to stick to the historical events. In any case it seems they are quite serious about the whole “realistic RPG” thing!

Quote Originally Posted by LoLion View Post
    Plus I am sure whatever you have to say is “bland like a Linkin Park album” anyway.

Planescape: Tormenting dethtoll.

If my only experience with Torment were reading a novelization of it, I'd probably hate it too. Then again, I can't see that a novelization of Alpha Protocol, Kotor2, NWN2, or FONV would be good either. The reason Obsidian's writing is good is because of the way the player character affects the story and influences relationships with NPC's. Without that, there's nothing special there.

Yeah, see, I actually played the game? Or tried to? It's terrible. The gameplay sucks. So I read what amounted to a text dump. That sucked too.

Don't tell me I didn't actually play the game because I made like half a dozen attempts and it just. Wasn't. Fucking. Happening.

The problem with Torment's text isn't so much that it's bad, but just overly drawn out and lengthy. It could've used being cut down... by like 3/4s

It's also a load of po-faced overwrought wash.

So yeah, Kingdom Come, looks interesting. My main concern has already been raised in that the combat looks rate floaty, though first-person melee combat is tricky to pull off. Dark Messiah managed it, but it looks like KC: D is trying to make something much more complicated than the simple three moves you had in DM (quick attack/power attack/block). Hopefully it won't end up like Die By The Sword: Well intended, but fucking horrible to control.

A Skyrim with more depth would suit me down to the ground, and I wouldn't miss magic if they manage to get the combat right. Though I wonder how they're tackling wounds and healing if there's no handy clerics about. Realism is all well and good, but if you have to stomp back to a hospital to get treated after each fight or die of gangrene, it will be somewhat tiresome. I also can't see regenerating health working in this context, if realism is the key then a quick breather isn't going to help with that jagged gash across a major artery. I'm getting visions of your character walking round with a roll of bandages the size of a truck tire and wrapping himself up like a mummy after each fight, having a quick kip, then waking up an hour later feeling all better.