Thread: T3 FM: The Medallion (1.2.14) V1.0

T3 FM: The Medallion (1.2.14) V1.0

FM Title: The Medallion
    Game: Thief 3 - Deadly Shadows
    Author: Lametrie

Version: 1.3

Short Description:
    ------------------
    Garrett wants to obtain a medallion to impress his new lovey.

Description:
    ------------
    "Ran Robey runs a profitable rug store in town. He got crafted a necklace with a rare medallion at it for his wife. She is a beauty, so she don't need that Medallion! I on the other hand need it to impress the new barmaid at the Red Lion Inn. She suites me to the ground and loves the shining things, so I need that medallion!"

Garrett has a short night to obtain the medallion to impress his new lovey.

This is my very first mod for Thief 3 and I got myself into editing for the game because of the fact that the Nexusmods.com opened up for all games. It was not so easy as I thought though, but at last I got things working

Download The Medallion V1.3 at Nexusmods.com

Mirrors:
    V1.3 (adjusting the lightning)
    Dropbox
    Darkfate
    V1.2 (objectives and save name ok now but it's really dark )
    Dropbox
    V1.0 (initial release)
    Southquarter

Bugs?
    -----
    No ! gnartsch solved the problem with the objectives not showing up, many many thanks for that! (see #10 in this post)
    But if there are more bugs, please let me know!

To play the game:
    -----------------
    To run this mod, place the zip file at a place you like, install the T3SneakyUpgrade_1.1.2.1 (find infos about it here), run the FM selector, find The Medallion, install it an play.

The Sneaky Upgrade worked best for me but there are other fan mission loaders such as the GarrettLoader or the Thief Fan Mission Manager.

History:
    --------

1.0 Initial release
    1.2 updating zip file and misc.sch to get objectives and correct safe file name
    1.3 adjusting the lightning

Credits:
    --------
    A million thanks to Komag for the KomagTutT3 Thief Editor Tutorial. I couldn't have done that without it!
    And many many thanks to gnartsch from the ttlg forums for solving the objectives problem!
    And many thanks to snobel for the Sneaky Upgrade: Unofficial patch for Thief 3 without I would not be able to present a playable mod!
    And of course many thanks to Eidos and Ion Storm for a wounderful game!
    Last edited by Lametrie; 8th Feb 2014 at 15:21. Reason: New Version update

Clearinghouse
    Any more mirrors? This one don't work for me.

Thanks for the mission!
    However, Nexusmod does not allow free download of files larger than 2MB.
    So, I will wait for the mission to be hosted somewhere else.

bikerdude
    Anyone got an alternative download link please...

Another mirror, please? Creating an account in their site is not free (although the price for registration is quite bearable) and I am not feeling like donating right now. Thanks in advance .

Quote Originally Posted by gnartsch View Post
    Thanks for the mission!
    However, Nexusmod does not allow free download of files larger than 2MB.
    So, I will wait for the mission to be hosted somewhere else.
    It's not so much an issue of a free download, it's more of having a nexusmods account in order to download files larger than 2 MB.
    Although they do have options for paying for a premium membership, you do not have to pay for a basic access account.

I was only able to download this file because I do have a nexusmods account.
    When I first heard that they opened it up to host any games mods, I thought it was a great idea when someone here at this forum suggested it.
    However, at the time I completely forgot about anyone else without a nexusmods account not having the ability to download large files.
    I think I have changed my mind about nexusmods and Thief mods, although I do like they way they've got things organized.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Southquarter Mirror: The Medallion
    Last edited by Brethren; 3rd Feb 2014 at 09:55.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Congrats on release! It's great when a surprise T3 FM like this pops up...
    Widescreen and tweaks patches: The Sneaky Upgrade for Thief 3, the Visible Upgrade for Deus Ex 2

Quote Originally Posted by Lametrie View Post
    Bugs?
    -----
    Yes, I know there are no objectives showing up ingame (no problems in the editor though). I have no clue about that...
    Downloading ... and about to play it.

Hmmm... I am not an expert for TDS, but I think you need to export the goals somehow from within the editor.
    After that, they should show up in Sounds/schemas/conversations/PlayerGarrett.
    The ZIP does not even have that folder, whence no goals are available for the players (I guess).
    In EMObjectives.dat I see that there should be 2 objective-files:
    LamMedallionObjectives_001000
    LamMedallionObjectives_004000

Note: from what I know the Editor likes to create new numbers on each export, so you should update the ZIP with any objective files it generated plus the latest Books/EMObjectives.dat
    Last edited by gnartsch; 3rd Feb 2014 at 14:50.

Oh, and if you want, you could also add this file :
    Books\English\String_Tags\Misc.sch
    VERSION 2.0
    TextEntry
    T_LevelEnterTextLamMedallion
    lang_english 2004-02-29 21:48:00 "The Medallion"
    lang_french 2004-03-25 13:58:31 "The Medallion"
    lang_german 2004-03-20 17:14:06 "The Medallion"
    lang_italian 2004-03-25 07:24:35 "The Medallion"

With that, the mission name will be displayed properly. E.g. in the SaveGame name.

Finished with 99% loot.
    A nice mission, but extremely dark!

gnartsch, you saved my day ! That was indeed the problem about the objectives, I forgot to take them with in the zip just because I thought, there is no sound, silly me
    And many thanks for the tip with the misc file too!

I got all updated and uploaded at the Nexus as version 1.2

It's fine that the file was hosted at other places too and I add the mirrors as soon as the newest version is available there in the Nexus.

I wanted to upload it here at the forums but got no idea how to do that, so it is great that it is available other places and so quick

Many many thanks to you for the help!

You are welcome!
    The placement of the objectives is indeed quite ... odd, since there is no way to have the objectives being accompanied by any voice.
    So, one simply would not expect them in that place.

With respect to uploading:
    authors typically choose a hosted that doesn't require fans to register, because it is a pain in the ass.
    So many sites wanting you to register.
    And clearly, that's why they refuse to do that.

There are better choices, like Mediafire for example.
    https://www.mediafire.com
    No nagging if you just want to download something.
    And free for the uploader, too.
    Before the limit (10GB without any charge for the author) is reached, some of our Thief sites will have the missions mirrored already anyway.

Where have I been, I've got already a dropbox account
    So at the time, I upload it there and add the link as soon as it is available!
    Many thanks indeed! This is getting fun I'm planning the next mod already.

By the way: Welcome to the forum!
    I wonder how long you are a fan of Thief already, since you just registered to announce your FM.
    And nice to hear you are planning a new one already.

If I may make a recommendation:
    there is the Thief III Editor's Guild on this forum. But sure enough you know it already.
    Anyway, I guess it would be good to pay a visit there as well.
    The people there can surely give some advice
    (e.g. getting the lighting to work a little bit better in this mission, which would give this mission a better finishing ).
    Also, you can always ask for beta-testers before releasing a FM.

Thanks for the welcome! I have been playing Thief DS for years, tried out the other parts as well.
    I have done a bit editing for Skyrim and more for Oblivion (all on the Nexus). But I started editing for TDS just this year when I heard that the Nexus will host mods for all games and liked to be the first to deliver something here . It was not so easy as I thought but Komags tutorial helped and yes, I found some advice in the editors guild as well. But this forum world is really new to me. Thans for the tip.
    And yes, there is shurely a bit more to do to finish the mission up, skybox and lightning as you suggest (it gets really dark with the torches out!). And I hope, there are not too many guards... Now with the main things functioning, I can concentrate on them!

Quote Originally Posted by gnartsch View Post
    (e.g. getting the lighting to work a little bit better in this mission, which would give this mission a better finishing ).
    Thanks for the tip I tried out some ambient lightning and adding of shadows in the newest version 1.3 and hope it's got a bit more Thief feeling now!

Much better !!
    Thanks!

just wanted to say thanks!

nice mission.....got caught by the lock pick timings once or twice,lol,which made it fun.

Quote Originally Posted by fxdwg View Post
    However, at the time I completely forgot about anyone else without a nexusmods account not having the ability to download large files.
    I think I have changed my mind about nexusmods and Thief mods, although I do like they way they've got things organized.
    That should not be a hindrance to upload at the Nexus, they have a Mirror section there. So you can get both in fact: the Nexus feeling and you can offer download links in the mirror section for those who don't have a Nexus account although I would warmly suggest to have one if you want more than thief mods that is I love that site and it's good to have a place where you can find mods again after years (something you fortunately got in the Thief world too with this forum and the other mod hosting sites!). I got a premium member back then when Oblivon came out and never regreted. Counting the amount of download and using the site, I ought to pay that fee twice by now!
    Last edited by Lametrie; 8th Feb 2014 at 10:17.

Quote Originally Posted by Lametrie View Post
    That should not be a hindrance to upload at the Nexus, they have a Mirror section there. So you can get both in fact: the Nexus feeling and you can offer download links in the mirror section for those who don't have a Nexus account although I would warmly suggest to have one if you want more than thief mods that is I love that site and it's good to have a place where you can find mods again after years (something you fortunately got in the Thief world too with this forum and the other mod hosting sites!). I got a premium member back then when Oblivon came out and never regreted. Counting the amount of download and using the site, I ought to pay that fee twice by now!
    I agree with you completely about NexusMods. I have been a member for a few years and it has supported my addiction to The Elder Scrolls games.
    I'm not aware of another site that is so all encompassing (i.e., download site, older versions, alternate version, optional files, images, discussions) on a mod-by-mod basis, all in one location, rather than having to find information by searching for old conversation threads. We have some great sites being maintained by highly appreciated members here at this forum, but it can't (in my opinion only) compare to the organized structure set up at NexusMods.