TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 491415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: There's an OCULUS RIFT on my FACE :D

Do you have an updated ETA, henke? Really curious to hear how you'll enjoy your very own Oculus Rift.

Also, Dead & Buried isn't an amazing game, but it's a competent wave shooter much improved by the combination of VR and (... wait for it...) coop play. Might be something to check out during a sale.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Getting it tomorrow!

And the day after that I'm having a new sofa and kitchen table delivered. OH YEAH! MAJOR UPGRADES TO CASA HENKE INCOMING

Woohoo! Enjoy!

Level 10,000 achieved
    Well, got the Oculus Rift, but the tracking doesn't work on the left touch controller. It pairs just fine, but then just lies there, immobile, when in VR. Tried reinstalling the Oculus software and moving the sensors to different USBs, but to no avail.

Will bring it with me to work tomorrow and see if it works with our work Rift, and then take home a controller from work to see if that works here, to find out if it's a hardware issue.

I did also get a BSOD during the touch pairing portion of the initial setup.

Level 10,000 achieved

Several hours later...

Now it's working!

Turns out the culprit was some old DK2 files still in the system. Had to scourge through Registries, AppData, and Windows Systems folders to get rid of all that stuff and then reinstall, then it tracked both controllers just fine. Whew.

El Shagmeister

w00t w00t!

Level 10,000 achieved
    Alright, I've had time to play a few games.

Robo Recall - Good stuff! Thirith, have you played this yet? Would love to hear how it stacks up against Superhot. Anyway, it's way too resource heavy for my rig. I got like 15fps when the action was at it's heaviest. Oddly enough, there wasn't a hint of nausea even at that low framerate, that asynchronous timewarp really does wonders in preventing that. But yeah, this makes me think I'll definitely need a new graphics card soon.

Assetto Corsa - the VR implementation has been improved significantly since the DK2 days, though menus are still displayed on your monitor, so you have to take off the headset when you exit out of a racetrack. Runs smooth even on my GTX 960 on high settings.

Lunar Flight - has seen significant updates since my last go, but performance wasn't great. Also seemed to stutter more and more as I played, might be a memoryleak in this build.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Robo Recall - Good stuff! Thirith, have you played this yet? Would love to hear how it stacks up against Superhot. Anyway, it's way too resource heavy for my rig. I got like 15fps when the action was at it's heaviest. Oddly enough, there wasn't a hint of nausea even at that low framerate, that asynchronous timewarp really does wonders in preventing that. But yeah, this makes me think I'll definitely need a new graphics card soon.
    I've downloaded it but haven't yet played it; I basically have about 5 hours of VR time each week, and currently I'm using all of that for Elite Dangerous. I think I'll take a bit of a break from it soon, though, not least to check out Robo Recall, since I've heard very good things about it.

I may have asked this before, but one thing I was wondering about is how the Rift (and other VR headsets) are if you just want 3D vision for your games that otherwise use traditional controls?

The touch controllers and other odd things don't really interest me, but a 3D display with twin OLEDs sounds interesting.

I'd imagine that kind of thing where you are controlling the view via a mouse instead of by moving your head would be exactly the sort of thing that causes people nausea?
    Last edited by Nameless Voice; 16th Mar 2017 at 17:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    I'd imagine that kind of thing where you are controlling the view via a mouse instead of by moving your head would be exactly the sort of thing that causes people nausea?
    Indeed.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Fafhrd View Post
    I'm going to re-recommend Rec Room. I believe it's available in Oculus Home as well as Steam, but I'm not sure if their lobbies are shared.

In fact, it seems like we might have enough VR enabled TTLGers now to do a Rec Room meetup of sorts.
    I played a bit of this tonight, mainly the disc golf. It's fun! I loved the PS3 Move disc golf game in Sports Champions, and this reminds me a lot of that. Tho when I entered the Lockerroom and other people spawned in the game got very laggy for me, so I think I'll need a GFX upgrade before attempting multiplayer, but I'd definitely be up for it at some later point. My Oculus name is LeeMajorz6k, go ahead and add me, Faf.

Make sure to let us know what coop games you have on Oculus Rift; it'd definitely be fun to meet up in cyberspace at some point. I can mainly think of Elite, Dead & Buried and Minecraft right now, thought I expect I also have other ones, and I've heard very good things about Raw Data.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Oculus is having a sale to commemorate it's first birthday. I actually haven't bought any VR games yet, only been playing the ones I already own or got free. But I guess I can't pass up Chronos for €17.

Chronos is nice, but IMO it's also not particularly improved by VR. Sure, it's cool for its locations to have this diorama feel, but especially if you haven't bought any VR games, I'd probably first recommend games that make more use of the new medium. (Obligatory Superhot VR shoutout.)

I am quite fond of Time Machine VR, although I suspect that's largely because it was the first VR game I played from beginning to end. It's not a great game, and it's also not great technically, but it does do some nifty things, especially if you like prehistoric aquatic beasties. Strangely enough, it had Touch support when I started it up a while ago, but just once, and every time I launched it afterwards it didn't register my Touch controllers.

I might be at the point where I give Elite a rest for a few weeks and play a couple of other games instead. Robo Recall is high up on the list.

P.S.: On a very different note, I found the BBC/Aardman Animations collaboration We Wait quite interesting as a hint at what VR could be used for in the future. It's a dramatised depiction of migrants making the journey from Turkey to Greece on smugglers boats, based on first-hand accounts. As a VR showcase, it's okay but not particularly impressive, but I am curious to see VR used more often to let you see things through someone else's eyes in a more immediate (and dare I say immersive?) way.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yeeees, I heard you the first half-dozen times you recommended Superhot VR, I'll get it when it goes on sale.

I picked up Chronos and played the first hour or so last night. It's good! Solid action-RPG that just happens to be in VR.

Also, a couple days ago I finished...

ROBO RECALL

It's got a lot more meat on it's bones than several other early VR titles, but it's still shy of being a proper AAA VR title. Funded by Oculus, but still with a budget under $10M, Robo Recall initially feels like a big-budget game, but play it for a while and you'll start to see where corners have been cut. It looks gorgeous, and the gameplay has been polished to a fine sheen, but it's also a game whose 10 levels all take place in the same 3 locations, all of which look quite similar. It's narrative of rogue AI's is economically told: rarely with cutscenes and custom animations, mostly just by voiceover. The tone of the storytelling is lighthearted and comical. It's not Portal or anything, but I did laugh out loud at one or two points.

The gameplay is pretty great. Of course this game stands on the shoulders of VR shooters to come out over the past year, like Space Pirate Trainer and Superhot VR. Not having played those and coming straight to this I might be giving RR more than it's due, but the gameplay here feels surprisingly solid and inventive. There's a lot more complexity here than just shooting guns at robots. You can grab the robots, tear or shoot off their limbs, use them as human(er, robot) shields, throw them at each other, smash them together. You can pick incoming bullets out of the air and fling them back at enemies, or use the barrel of your gun to block them. You can grab rockets flying at you and throw em back. In a move that rivals DOOM's punch-enemy-to-regain-health mechanic in the "Cool things in a game that makes no sense but is fun and makes the game play better"-department: when your gun runs out of ammo you can throw it at an enemy and when it bounces back at you and you grab it, it'll be reloaded! Ridiculous! Awesome! When you waste baddies their guns will slo-mo-flip into the air and you can grab them before they hit the ground. There were moments while I was playing this when it felt like the most revolutionary action-game I'd played since Max Payne.

Still, despite all that, Robo Recall is still missing something. It's not as great as it should've been. As cool as my sessions with it were, I rarely played more than one level at a time, and I was never really dying to get back into it. Maybe it's the somewhat lackluster narrative, maybe it's the fact that it's pretty easy. I never died in the game and I only failed a mission once because I didn't recall robots fast enough. And my limiting it to one level at a time isn't for the usual reason you might keep a VR session short, there was zero nausea with this.

A tip to new Robo Recall players: keep your feet planted in the same place and use the teleport to turn around. Too easy to get disoriented or loose tracking otherwise.
    Last edited by henke; 30th Mar 2017 at 08:53.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Yeeees, I heard you the first half-dozen times you recommended Superhot VR, I'll get it when it goes on sale.
    ROBO RECALL
    There were moments while I was playing this when it felt like the most revolutionary action-game I'd played since Max Payne.
    Still, despite all that, Robo Recall is still missing something. It's not as great as it should've been. As cool as my sessions with it were, I rarely played more than one level at a time, and I was never really dying to get back into it. Maybe it's the somewhat lackluster narrative, maybe it's the fact that it's pretty easy. I never died in the game and I only failed a mission once because I didn't recall robots fast enough. And my limiting it to one level at a time isn't for the usual reason you might keep a VR session short, there was zero nausea with this.
    I only played a little bit of Robo Recall before getting a bit bored with it. I'll give it another try at some point, but I have plenty of other things to do with my time.

If you think it was revolutionary, you should definitely try Superhot. I don't know if anyone has recommended that to you yet. In my mind, it is much more revolutionary than Robo Recall (though they do have some similarities).

I think Space Pirate Trainer is still worth playing, too. It's fairly simplistic, but it also has a purity in its mechanics and implementation that's hard to beat. In Robo Recall, I was always struggling to get in the right position and orientation to fight effectively (I'm not a big fan of teleporting in VR). In SPT, you stand in the same spot the whole time and (mostly) only have to turn 90 degrees to either side, often less (the same is true for Superhot as well) and it really puts the focus on aiming, dodging, blocking, etc., all with your real body. Unlike in Robo Recall, it's very easy to die.

My first impression of Robo Recall is that it's a lot of fun, and I like the '90s shooter vibe I get from it, but I find that it puts me in mind of... another game I've played that has similar mechanics, and that other game IMO does most things better. There's an almost Kubrickian edge to that other game that really works well for me, whereas Robo Recall's more B movie sensitivities are enjoyable but not something I'm all that much into. For me that other game is in the same league as Portal in that it does what it does almost to perfection. I'm happy to play more of Robo Recall, but I don't think it'll take hold of my imagination to the same extent.
    Last edited by Thirith; 31st Mar 2017 at 14:16.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Mhmm.

Anyway, just entered the Kingdom of Pan in Chronos, at age 34. This might not be the game that makes the best use of VR, but it might just be the VR game I've been the most engrossed by.

Have you tried out Elite yet?

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yeah, played it a bunch on the DK2 a year and a half ago. But haven't given it a proper go recently.

One thing I have to say for Robo Recall: it's a menace to my Touch Controllers and my walls. Good thing both of these are quite sturdy, since I just punched a robot that was to my right, only to hear and feel the controller scrape against the wall with more force than I'm entirely comfortable with...

Also, Edge of Nowhere is one of those games that mechanically would work just as well outside VR, but make it VR and it feels so much more intense. It's a third-person action adventure by the guys who did Ratchet & Clank, and it does look and feel a bit like a nice but not extraordinary PS3 title, but it comes across as so much more immediate and intense in VR, with nifty little touches like the main character's head lamp shining where you're looking in VR making it feel more dynamic. Makes me wonder how something like God of War or Uncharted would play in VR.

Finally, I played most of the tutorial of Rock Band VR, and I get the impression that this might be great fun. Not something I'd play for hours on end, but once again, I kinda prefer that in VR.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Edge of Nowhere is defeinitely on my to-play list.

I'm a bit further into Chronos and I've found it does make good use of VR in a few places. There's this one great part where you find creepy science experiments and computer terminals with info. The view goes into first person when you're reading the terminals and I kept glancing around, nervous I was gonna get Five Nights At Freddie-d or something. VR makes everything creepier.

The other cool VR thing are these statue monsters who only move when you're not looking at them.(6:15 in the video below)

The view field here, which is what gets mirrored to the monitor, is actually smaller than what you see in the headset. Also I think it must be only mirroring the lower part of the view or something. Or I really am constantly glancing upwards when I'm playing.

Still loving this game. I certainly manages to recreate those moments from Souls games where things just keep escalating and getting worse and worse. You don't have to retrieve lost souls in this one tho, instead pressure to not fuck up is instilled by the fact that every time you die, your character ages one year. I'm in my early 40's, and getting close to the halfway point of the game. I'm going to be an old woman before this is over.

I'm sure VR has a bright future, but I'm yet to see anything that wows me enough to justify the current price tag.

Suffice it to say, if I was shelling out 500 notes for something to sit on my face, it wouldn't be an Oculus Rift.

Still Subjective
    Your mum?

But seriously - I agree. I've not seen nor heard of anything that I'd want VR for. I like the idea though.

It is absolutely a luxury toy at the moment, though one I wouldn't miss. Also, my wife might think I look silly with an Oculus Rift on my face, but I suspect she still prefers this to other face-sitting options that cost 500 pounds, dollars or Swiss francs.

Henke, is Star Trek: Bridge Crew anything you're interested in? I've heard good things about it, and I like its approach to coop, but I'm not sure I'd pay full price for it.

Also, there's a free Ghost in the Shell VR experience out on the Oculus store, and apparently the (also free) animated short Dear Angelica is well worth checking out.

Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 491415161718192021222324 ... LastLast