TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 491419202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: There's an OCULUS RIFT on my FACE :D

Thing What Kicks
    I have bought Star Trek as threatened above, and it's very, very good, but I haven't played much more than the tutorial as I'd really rather play it with friends.

My one bugbear is that the control panels are maybe placed a little too low, and quite often I'll hit my chair's arms while trying to reach a control in VR. I suppose the solution is an armless chair, but I'd prefer to be able to adjust where the panels sit in relation to me in-game. I suppose a way around this might be to centre the view before sitting down, but I could imagine it causing all sorts of animation weirdness.

Malf and henke (and anyone else who's got VR): not sure if you're interested, but you may want to check out the Quake VR mod (http://phoboslab.org/log/2016/05/quake-for-oculus-rift). I think I may have mentioned it before, but I'm not sure if you've tried it out. I don't remember the details, but it was a bit fiddly getting it to work, added to which there are a number of control options that very much change how it plays. I ended up playing with KBAM and half decoupling head and gun movement, ending up with a setup similar to Metroid Prime on the Wii: if you move your gun a little, you change where you aim but you don't turn; only once you move your gun beyond a certain angle do you actually turn in the game. (You can look around freely, but this doesn't change where you aim or which direction you move in.)

It's not something I'd play for longer than half an hour or an hour, but I thought it worked pretty well as a proof of concept of how a classical FPS could work in VR.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    I ended up playing with KBAM and half decoupling head and gun movement, ending up with a setup similar to Metroid Prime on the Wii: if you move your gun a little, you change where you aim but you don't turn; only once you move your gun beyond a certain angle do you actually turn in the game. (You can look around freely, but this doesn't change where you aim or which direction you move in.)
    Ah yes, that's how it worked in HL2 VR as well! Didn't you get any nausea from this though? I think I most likely would, but I'll definitely give it a spin when I have the time.

I didn't get any nausea, but I seem to be mostly nausea-proof. The two times I felt somewhat uncomfortable (though not greatly so) in VR were when I played some Minecraft while standing up (there's something about the sliding movement that doesn't work 100% for me, but it may well just be a question of getting used to it) and when I watched some VR video that had the camera move in one direction while panning in another, with nothing coming even close to a fixed visual reference. For me, the Quake gun provided at least some sort of reference point, a bit like a cockpit in sims.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Tried it. Yeah no, I couldn't make it further than the second level before the familiar cold sweat followed by nausea crept up. :/ I envy you, Thirith.

What kind of control scheme did you use?

Level 10,000 achieved
    Blended, KBAM.

Shame. It's something I find both fascinating and utterly weird re: VR - how the things that make people queasy or uncomfortable can be wildly different from one person to the next.

I guess we won't be playing Quake VR deathmatch on Saturday then, right?

Level 10,000 achieved
    Heh. No.

edit: but do go ahead and nab a free copy of Payday 2, if you don't have it. We can add that to our lineup at some point.

Level 10,000 achieved

The Oculus Summer Sale is on!

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/s...9181121843636/

I picked up the "Summer Sale Bundle". 4 games for 70. Edge of Nowhere and The Climb have been at the top of my VR wishlist for a while. Raw Data I actually played when it was free on Steam for a weekend, it was solid a solid enough shooter, though I could take it or leave it really. Finally, Landfall is a twin-stick shooter which looks alright and has good reviews, so sure, I'll give it a go.

Apparently Daily Deals will be a thing in this. At the moment it's Arizona Sunshine at -30%, think I'll give it a pass and see if it comes up cheaper in the upcoming Steam summer sale.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Oh man, I love Ultrawings. Thanks for the recommendation, Thirith! Picked it up a couple days ago and I've been playing it obsessively. Basically it's an arcadey flying game where you do a bunch of challenges(fly through rings, take photos of landmarks, shoot baloons, etc.) in order to get money so you can unlock new airports and buy new planes. I just unlocked the fifth airport(out of 6), and I have 2 planes. A lightweight propeller-powered thingy, and a jet-powered glider. The latter gives you 3 or 4 "jet boosts" with which you can launch yourself up into the air, and then you glide back down, it's a lot of fun.

The physics are solid and the controls are fantastic. You actually use the motion controls to interact with them, to grab on to the flight stick and the throttle and to turn the knobs and flip the switches of the interface. There's pitch/yaw/roll, rudders, throttle, flaps. You do a short pre-flight procedure every time you take off but it's really just turning on the fuel, flicking on the electricity, pressing the ignition and cranking the throttle. There's enough there to satisfy the fantasy of flying a plane, without getting bogged down in all the complexities and minutiae of a proper flight sim.

Here I'm poppin' some baloons!

Level 10,000 achieved
    Lone Echo's multiplayer component "Echo Arena" is in Open Beta on the Oculus Store. I played a couple matches of it, here's how that went:

I did actually score a goal at one point, but didn't get that captured on video.

Even if you're not interested in multiplayer shenanigans, I do recommend downloading it and playing the tutorial just to get a taste of the wonderful zero-G movement system they've devised here. It works well, though I think it'd work better if I had room-scale tracking. Sometimes when I try to push off from a surface behind me I end up flying sideways, probably because my sensors loose track of my controller hidden behind my body. Anyway, it's good stuff. It's fun and remarkably nausea-free.

It seems that Introversion's Scanner Sombre will get a VR update. From what I've heard about the game, it's deeply flawed, but the way it lets you visualise environments differently is one of its strengths, so colour me curious.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I ended up getting really into Echo Arena. Played it a bunch this weekend, in fact I was still playing it when the open beta ended an hour and a half ago. Everyone in the match vanished and it took me a moment before I realized what had happened. The fun's over, until July 20th. Lone Echo was already my most anticipated VR game, but now it's even more so. Knowing Ready at Dawn's previous output, I'm not expecting much from the story, but I look forward to flinging myself around in zero-G again.

Shame I missed the beta, but it does look pretty cool.

I have been having a ton of fun playing The Mage's Tale. It's the first game that's kept me involved as a game, and it's also the first one where I can take the locomotion for extended periods of time without feeling nauseous. The only issue is that for me the initial load time is terrible, like 3 minutes. Others have reported having the same long load times in-game, but once I'm past the initial one, no loading time has ever been longer than 10-15 seconds.

Highly recommended. First-person, single-player dungeon crawl with spells that you "cast" by throwing them with the Touch controllers, as well as having a magic shield. Touch controllers are required.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Rushin' Rings while listening to some feelgood flyin' music!

Pleased to see this game actually get challenging towards the end. Had to replay this stage several times before I found an optimal path and perfected it.

I played some more Il-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad yesterday, now using the Vive.

It's great. I mean, it makes my 970 cry, but it looks amazing and plays well, and being able to look around the cockpit of my plane just by looking around really makes the action that much more immersive. It also makes it really obvious just how tiny those WW2-era aircraft are when you realize that your HOTAS setup is 'outside' the cockpit.

I'll probably pick up Ultrawings when it comes out for Vive because flying in VR is so much fun. I find myself wishing again that Elite had more to do in terms of combat, because that game does VR great but got boring pretty quickly.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Have you played House of the Dying Sun, catbarf? I'm not that into flight/space combat, but a lot of people like it, and it's just a tenner at the moment.

Yes I have, and I'd recommend it to anyone looking into space combat at that price- but I find it a little hard to enjoy as a simulator when each mission is basically two minutes of fast-paced combat before the flagship jumps in and you either leave or die. I like it a lot but it's very limited in scope. What I'd really love would be to play something like Freespace or Wing Commander in VR, but there seems to be a dearth of that sort of game on the market.

X-Wing and TIE Fighter in VR, with updated controls and graphics, and I'd turn into an utter Star Wars fanboy again.

Does Battle of Stalingrad have anything like real tutorials? I found the IL-2 games I played utterly offputting to flight sim newbies. I don't mind having to put in an effort, but at least give me a chance!

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    X-Wing and TIE Fighter in VR, with updated controls and graphics, and I'd turn into an utter Star Wars fanboy again.
    I don't even have any headset, but seeing this psvr teaser got me salivating at what could be. https://youtu.be/TBVENmTzNF0?t=139

Thing What Kicks
    Finally got room-scale properly set up last night (albeit I need to tidy cables in the long term). It moaned a bit because my front sensors are more than 3 metres apart (about 5), but it seems to work fine.
    Still places my default facing in Home in a weird position mind you.

If you're going to go for it, be aware that Oculus don't recommend using more than 3 sensors.

I got Arkham VR and played some of it today. Like so many VR experiences, it's no great shakes as a game, but it's still very, very cool. I wouldn't have bought it at full price, but at the current rate it's worth it for any fan of the Arkham games and of Batman in general - which I'm not all that much, but I do love the sense of being in virtual spaces, and Arkham VR does this brilliantly. So much so that I didn't even mind having to experience the murder of Bruce's parents for the umpteenth time.

I also played some more I Expect You To Die, which is absolutely delightful.

Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 491419202122232425262728 ... LastLast