TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 611162122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: There's an OCULUS RIFT on my FACE :D

Level 10,000 achieved
    He has a 970! And so does catbarf(check page 21). A 970 is apparently enough to run Elite Dangerous on Ultra, though that's a very well optimized game.

Thing What Kicks
    Well, I had a GTX970, but now I have a GTX1070.
    But please note, virtually all of my Rift gaming has been on the GTX970, and it had no problems at all (apart from having to buy micro-to-normal HDMI adapters).

I decided not to buy it.

... at amazon.co.uk, because it was like 30 euros cheaper at amazon.de.
    It should be here by the 20th.

Thing What Kicks
    Woohoo!
    \o/

Useful links for the new Rift owner:
    Rift USB Compatibility - A must read; check your machine's USB 3 chipset isn't incompatible, and if it is, order one of the supported USB PCI cards.
    Oculus Room Scale Set Up - I'm using a 3-sensor set-up, although it's not exactly optimal as the sensors are too far apart. But it works.
    Standard fit wall mounts that fit the sensors - These are the ones I've used to mount my sensors on the ceiling.

Oh yeah, and if you are thinking about room scale, you'll need some active USB extenders too. I have 2x 5m and 1x 10m.
    Last edited by Malf; 10th Jul 2017 at 18:53.

Level 10,000 achieved

Guys I found something amazing, drop what you're doing and play this!

I went poking around itch.io to see what free VR games I could find and ended up having my mind blow by Intrascend VR.

It's basically a reverse-Super Hexagon in 3D, where you're constantly flying into ever-expanding geometry. Or perhaps you're constantly shrinking, falling into smaller and smaller sub-atomic particles. As the levels progress the momentum gets faster and faster. It's hypnotic.

What's perhaps more amazing is that noone but me knows this game exists! Seemingly. It came out in November and mine was the first youtube video besides the dev's to be uploaded. It's a free game, or Pay What You Want. I gave the guy 5 bucks after having played it.

ALSO,

I found a couple first person shooters that share several features: they both use touch-controls, have several locomotion-methods, and are optimized for room-scale(no turning options). Guess I'm gonna have to get that 3rd sensor.

Compound - The better of the two. A fun shooter with a nice retro-aesthetic.

Dungeons & Treasure - Kinda like Rec Room's Quest for the Golden Trophy, but not as good. Will apparently get multiplayer in the next version tho, so that's good.

If anyone wants to go digging for more free VR goodies, this is a good place to start.

That Intrascend VR video was trippy! I've played with a VR headset once now, but I wish that was the game that I'd played.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Trippy indeed!

I borrowed an extra Oculus sensor from work today so I could try out a proper room-scale setup. Just played a bit of Compound as well as the Budget Cuts demo, and well, it's good stuff, though I gotta admit I'm often a bit distracted by wondering if I'm gonna trip over the wire. Not convinced a regular teleport+turn function wouldn't be better.

In my case a third sensor isn't particularly feasible due to space; I've basically got an area of 1.5m (left to right) and 2m (back to front), with a wall on my right, our bed on the left and a wardrobe at my back. This works reasonably well with all the titles I've played, though it's not ideal. However, from the various conversations I've followed, it very much sounds like a third sensor hanging from the wall would be more or less ideal. (Malf mentioned this as well, I think.) If that's feasible, it might also be easier to get the cable out of your way.

Thing What Kicks
    Yeah, my setup's in my living room.
    I have all my sensors ceiling-mounted using the mounts I linked to in my previous post, with active USB 2.0 extensions (don't worry about USB 2.0 extensions for what are USB 3.0 devices; it works, and Oculus Setup likes them, giving them a green tick). I'll take pictures tonight if I remember.

I may eventually end up narrowing the distance between the two front sensors, as it complains about the fact they're too far apart at the moment, and I have found a small tracking blind spot. I'll see if it causes problems during use before I go drilling more holes in the ceiling though

A hint when setting up the play area: If you're PC isn't to the front and centre of your play area DO NOT POINT AT THE SCREEN WHEN IT TELLS YOU TO.
    Instead, point forward where you want the front and centre of your play area to be. If you don't, it'll offset the play area, always requiring you to turn at an angle in apps by default, and complain that your play area isn't optimal even if it is.

When I set up the play area for room scale on the Vive, it does the same. asks me to point at the screen. I don't think it worries too much about where the computer is other than makes sure that facing "Front" while in VR actually makes you face away from the computer. This makes it so the cable just dangles behind you and back to the computer. But I don't really see the advantage if you're walking around inside the chaparone bounds anyway.

The toying with USB cables part is one of the reasons I went with the Vive instead. Each has their pros and cons. The Vive sensors need to be plugged into a wall outlet for power, and I know the Oculus sensors don't, but he vive sensors are also Wireless, and you only need 2 for room scale. I have mine mounted to the walls near the ceiling with the hardware that was included. It was incredibly easy to set up and has been working pretty flawlessly.

Maybe we should start posting pictures of our VR setups, to help each other with ideas to make the best of it?

Level 10,000 achieved
    Sure, this is my VR PlaySpace/GamerZone!

As you see there's plenty more space to the left, but if I include that in the boundary the default point ends up mostly out of sight for at least the front left sensor. And the cable to the Rift isn't long enough that I'd really be able to waltz all over the room anyway, nor have I played any game that really required that, so this is probably fine.

Also I just ordered a 3rd sensor so I won't have to mooch off the company.

Be very careful with how close your boundary is to surrounding objects. I thought my VR space was fine with my girlfriend's computer chair just outside the border, until I played Arizona Sunshine and in trying to throw a grenade inadvertently punched the back of her chair at full force. While she was sitting in it. She was thoroughly unamused.

Not to imply that you're necessarily as klutzy as me, but it might be a good idea to move your space away from the monitor a bit. I've since gone and reconfigured my space such that as I walk along the border there's nothing within arm's reach, which doesn't leave a lot of room (about 1.5m x 2m) but at least gives me the peace of mine that as long as I stay within the chaperone boundaries I won't break anything.

Thing What Kicks
    Apologies if this doesn't work guys; the pictures show up in preview, and I've shared them publicly on the web, but I know Google Drive behaves weirdly with forums.

Front Sensors (need to add trunking to sensor 1):

Rear Sensor (need to secure the trunking at the top and bottom):

Play Area (as you can see, I move furniture around when using the Rift):

And I need to get smaller lampshades. I keep whacking them in VR
    Last edited by Malf; 14th Jul 2017 at 06:11.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Nope, those pics don't show up. AFAIK it's not possible to embed stuff from Google Drive.

I use Dropbox, but it's like 90 bucks per year. Not sure any good, free alternatives are out there anymore.

edit: now they show up
    Last edited by henke; 14th Jul 2017 at 06:12.

Pretty neat setup, though it'd look even better with more of that cable gutter (is that what you'd call it?) you used on #3 over #1's cable too. What did you use to mount them to the ceiling? And how do you feel about being recorded 24/7?

Thing What Kicks
    cable gutter (is that what you'd call it?)
    Trunking, as mentioned in the post
    Yeah, I'm adding that to sensor 1 this weekend. Just need to move the chest of drawers out of the way, take the Dremel to that reddish brown wood decoration in the corner, then slap up the trunking. It's self-adhesive, but I'm thinking some additional pinning will help keep it flush.

The ceiling mounts are, as previously mentioned, these mounts. The sensors can be unscrewed from the stands they come with, and the thread is a standard camera mount one.
    I held them on the ceiling and marked where the screw holes were with pencil, then drilled them out before inserting the raw plugs that the mounts would screw in to.

And how do you feel about being recorded 24/7?
    Not sure the sensors work like that (I think they're infra-red rather than full on cameras), but hey, if people get their kicks out of my comical gurning and ridiculous antics while swiping at invisible entities, more power to them

Might be a business model for you, Malf...

Thing What Kicks
    You're very kind Thirith, but this is easy stuff, and the bits can all be bought pretty cheaply.

Infrared cameras: "Haha, Bob, I can detect and characterize your deepest inner turmoils by the patterns of blood flow in your face!"
    Mike: "Bob? Bob's not here. I'm Mike."
    Infrared cameras: "Sorry, Mike. Can't actually see your face."

Quote Originally Posted by Malf View Post
    You're very kind Thirith, but this is easy stuff, and the bits can all be bought pretty cheaply.
    Oh, I meant the whole letting other people watch your antics.

Here is my setup. I have to push the coffee table back toward my bed. Sorry the angle is a bit difficult to get with my phone, I do have quite a bit of room to move around in VR. I don't think I could get it any bigger without tracking issues. I had to take one of the pictures with a wide angle and can't get the whole floor space in a single picture, but I think you get the idea.

For scale. Those rugs I THINK are 5 x 7, and my monitor is a 40"

So I've already gotten the touch controllers, which are nice enough, but the Rift itself was supposed to arrive yesterday. Apparently DHL damaged it though, and amazon.de's standard procedure is just refunding the item. Got in contact with their helpdesk and they've offered to refund me the price difference if I buy it again (since the price has gone up considerably since). Guess we'll have to coop VR a bit later than planned.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Aww man, that's a shame.

Boo! Boo, I say!

The refund thing is nice of them, though. What's the opposite of boo?

Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 611162122232425262728 LastLast