TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 61116212627282930313233 LastLast

Thread: There's a VR HEADSET on my FACE! :D

Yup, I'm at the processing line. After dying three times, I decided that that was enough Echo Line for me for the moment. Here's hoping that next time I'll just breeze through it.

And yeah, I'll only grab those cubes that I spot anyway. I won't go actively looking for them. At least they have that handy blinking light.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Ah yeah, I did die a few times on the processing line too, especially to the laser that's moving at somewhat random patterns towards the end.

Didn't get nearly all cube sats. Will put more effort into hunting them down when I do a replay.

Quick P.S.: The third sensor has definitely improved things; before I would say that I basically had 270 of reliable tracking and 90 of shaky but acceptable tracking (at the back), which means that everything was reasonably playable - but now I no longer get reminded of my orientation in real space whenever I turn around. I still mostly use the front 180, but psychologically it makes a surprising difference - I forget the orientation of my play space very quickly.

On a different note, I took the Derail Valley demo out for a test ride (thanks to Jeshibu for mentioning it!). I didn't play it for more than 15-20 minutes, it's not amazing technically and it should be boring by all rights, but I really enjoyed it - less for the gameplay than for the almost meditative sightseeing aspect. Living in Switzerland and not having a driving licence, I'm a big fan of train rides as it is, and the scenery in Derail Valley is very pleasant. The controls are made for Vive wands, but judging from the demo it plays reasonably well with Touch controllers.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Oooh, Derail Valley does look quite nice. Conductor is one of my fave games of this year, so I'm already sold on the concept of VR train rides. Gotta give this demo a spin.

Did I recommend that? I don't recall seeing it ever. Not that that rules it out, mind.

Huh... I was convinced that you'd recommended it, but I can't find any evidence of it being mentioned here. Very weird. Obviously VR is loosening my grip on reality...

Level 10,000 achieved
    Ended up spending almost an hour with Derail Valley tonight. Derailed twice and finished 1 job. Never thought I'd like a train sim (they seem a tad too on-rails for my liking) but this thing does a lot of what I like in a sim. Robust physics but not-overly-complex controls, and the keys to success being "planning ahead" and "knowing how to apply a delicate touch to heavy machinery".

Thanks for for finding me a new obsession, Thirith!

For those interested: Google Earth VR now also works with Streetview. I haven't yet tried it, but I'm a big fan of Google Earth VR and am looking forward to trying it out.

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Never thought I'd like a train sim (they seem a tad too on-rails for my liking)
    If that was intentional, good job! (Or bad job. Either way, have mercy and don't do it again.)

Level 10,000 achieved
    PUN INTENDED!

*bows*

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    For those interested: Google Earth VR now also works with Streetview. I haven't yet tried it, but I'm a big fan of Google Earth VR and am looking forward to trying it out.
    I just tried it. Basically, when you're close to a street you get a bubble of the streetview on your left hand, and when you hold it up to your face you enter the streetview. Pretty handy, and well-implemented.

Note to self: when assembling robots in zero-G, don't let the individual parts float away. They're difficult to find in the cold, empty vacuum of space.

So I started this post a couple days ago but got distracted and didn't come back to my computer. SO this is a bit late.

I tried Onward during the free period this last weekend. It is pretty fun if you're into tactical shooters, and especially if you're a gun nut like me, because it gets a lot of things right.
    Having to stab your own heart with an epi pen when you're down is a fun health mechanic, and separating the grip button for grabbing weapons and the trigger for grabbing equipment that is on your vest is a simple stroke of genius. But there is one thing that it gets wrong, that every VR game thus far gets wrong that I have played, and that is using a rifle.

The whole reason irl you would use a rifle over a handgun is for stability and range. Even pistol calibre carbines would be as useful as a full blown rifle for that reason. So when the game mechanic states that you need to use your support hand to "grip" the front foregrip of the rifle to to keep it steady, it doesn't work because you have nothing rigid holding your hands to a proper distance apart. And no stock for aiming with even though there is one rendered in game. There needs to be a peripheral for this type of thing. It doesn't have to be fancy looking because you wont be seeing it in real life, but the whole stability thing is completely lost to complexity when you're trying to hold a rifle up to your eyes with no physical frame of reference for a realistic cheek weld (probably not possible with an HMD), or at least a good stock.

Other than that, the game is hella fun, as long as you can deal with Locomotion rather than teleportation. I'm starting to get there, but goign up stairs and jumping off short buildings really gets me still, as does sprinting and then suddenly stopping. Puts me off balance and gives me a headache. I can only last about 15 - 20 minutes at this point, but I am getting better the more I play that way.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yeah, I played a bit of it with Jesh and Malf too. I do like the object interaction, like reloading guns and using the radio. But the gameworld and enemy AI ain't much to write home about. As for more stability in rifles, something like that PSVR gun would do it, but of course switching between handcontrollers and holding a tracked gun-prop is gonna be more bother than it's worth.

And, yeah, I started feeling queasy after 15-20 minutes too.

I wasn't too keen on Onwards' movement; the more slidey movement in VR is, the less I like it, by and large. There needs to be something more physical to it, a sense of inertia, and even a tiny bit of head bob helps. Strangely, it was worst when I was crouching; I'd move then stop, and my body would almost tip over.

I liked the idea behind the object interaction, but at least during the hour or so that I played it didn't become second nature, mainly because some things are done with the trigger, others with the grip. I understand why they did it, but as a result it felt very much like *controls*, not like me grabbing stuff and holding it.

One thing I noticed, more than in any other VR game, is the lack of peripheral vision. I've not had a single other game where I noticed the low FOV, but in that one I did.

If the developer works on this, tweaks the controls, improves the AI and adds missions beyond Search and Destroy, I could imagine getting into it. As it is, though, it feels too much like a rough draft of what it could be for me to enjoy it. Which is a shame, because to some extent it appeals to the Arma-loving part of me. (Talking of which, Onward reminded me that I really like the Takistan maps of Arma 2; I'm hoping to introduce the CUP mod to our sessions before long, which adds the official maps of the series, going all the way back to Operation Flashpoint.)

The Vive does have a front facing RGB camera on it. Some sort of AR/VR hybrid thing could work just to briefly see your own body when you look down to put the "rifle" away, push a button or something? I dunno. Just a thought. I know the oculus doesn't have an RGB camera on it.

I'm still working on mounting my Leap Motion on the front face of my HMD. There's nothing out there but tech demos for it, but it could still be fun. Not that it has anything to do with this topic

I'm still stuck in Lone Echo, and I suspect it's a bug: I'm supposed to attach arms and legs to a couple of bot torsos, but while the legs connected okay, the arms don't connect at all. I guess it is possible that I'm doing it wrong, but I've tried all available arms in all available positions. The legs, once you held them roughly where they were supposed to go, connected more or less automatically, but after about fifteen minutes of trying minute tweaks to the arms' position and orientation, I'm giving up for now. I've send a message to Ready at Dawn, in the hope that they'll be able to help, but I suspect I may have to restart the game. While Lone Echo is one of the best VR games I've played so far, it's also very much the kind of game you play once and that's it, so I'm not overly enthusiastic about replaying it from the beginning.

I've also played a game/animated short called Manifest 99, which deals with themes of death, loss, guilt and scary crows. At first it ran extremely badly in spite of being pretty low-fi, but I resolved that by switching off the Oculus' supersampling. Once it ran well, I enjoyed Manifest 99 for its aesthetics and animations, but it's simply not nearly as poignant as it thinks it is. In terms of its story, it feels like it was put together by a film school student who has a higher opinion of their storytelling talent than is warranted. It only cost something like US$5, but in the end I felt that it wasn't worth that. It's also *very* short, but I would've been okay with that if it had been better otherwise.

However, it does put you on a train, so henke might enjoy at least that part.

Also, I'm pretty much stuck in Arizona Sunshine. There's a bit where the game sends a huge wave of zombies after me before I can get any further, and I'm simply not quite good enough to survive that wave, it seems.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Volitions Advocate View Post
    The Vive does have a front facing RGB camera on it. ... I know the oculus doesn't have an RGB camera on it.
    Well thank heavens they didn't cheap out and just include an RG camera, or a GB camera. Or one of those weird CYMK cameras.

Thirith, I'm not going to try to quote your post on my phone, but about the arms: To get an arm to attach, you have to line up the little black and white semicircle patterns on them. That means you have to attach the arm at one particular orientation, and others won't work. That's something to check for if you didn't already notice...

I thought that’s what I did - at least they line up the way they do on the legs - but since I’m the only one with that problem I suspect it’s really that I’m doing something wrong. Thanks, though.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I thought that’s what I did - at least they line up the way they do on the legs - but since I’m the only one with that problem I suspect it’s really that I’m doing something wrong. Thanks, though.
    No, I seem to remember one of the arm-attaching bits being glitchy too.

How did you get past this bit, henke? Did you just keep trying?

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yes. I also had one point where a energy-canister wouldn't get unstuck, but eventually it did.

Also, I'm playing Lone Echo again! Just arrived outside the Kronos II, none of the game crashes I had previously on exiting the station. Glad they fixed that. Gonna try to find all the cubesats this time, already found the ones inside the station.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    Well thank heavens they didn't cheap out and just include an RG camera, or a GB camera. Or one of those weird CYMK cameras.
    As opposed to an infrared camera.

By the way, I've since checked out the updated Google Earth app with Street View built in. I really like how they did it, and it's fascinating to see the uncanny, Francis Bacon version of a place from the ground level and then switch to Street View. I also have to say that I got a bit emotional when I checked out the place where I grew up (my dad has since sold the house) in Street View - sure, I was already able to do so in a browser, but emotionally it feels different to do it in VR, feeling more like I was actually standing in front of the house. Even though Street View isn't stereoscopic 3D, looking around by moving your head does feel very different from looking around by moving your mouse.

However, it does put you on a train, so henke might enjoy at least that part. :)
    I dunno. Is the train stuck in mud?

Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 61116212627282930313233 LastLast