TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2712172227282930313233 LastLast

Thread: There's a VR HEADSET on my FACE! :D

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    I thought that’s what I did - at least they line up the way they do on the legs - but since I’m the only one with that problem I suspect it’s really that I’m doing something wrong. Thanks, though.
    No, I seem to remember one of the arm-attaching bits being glitchy too.

How did you get past this bit, henke? Did you just keep trying?

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yes. I also had one point where a energy-canister wouldn't get unstuck, but eventually it did.

Also, I'm playing Lone Echo again! Just arrived outside the Kronos II, none of the game crashes I had previously on exiting the station. Glad they fixed that. Gonna try to find all the cubesats this time, already found the ones inside the station.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    Well thank heavens they didn't cheap out and just include an RG camera, or a GB camera. Or one of those weird CYMK cameras.
    As opposed to an infrared camera.

By the way, I've since checked out the updated Google Earth app with Street View built in. I really like how they did it, and it's fascinating to see the uncanny, Francis Bacon version of a place from the ground level and then switch to Street View. I also have to say that I got a bit emotional when I checked out the place where I grew up (my dad has since sold the house) in Street View - sure, I was already able to do so in a browser, but emotionally it feels different to do it in VR, feeling more like I was actually standing in front of the house. Even though Street View isn't stereoscopic 3D, looking around by moving your head does feel very different from looking around by moving your mouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    However, it does put you on a train, so henke might enjoy at least that part. :)
    I dunno. Is the train stuck in mud?

Thing What Kicks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    I dunno. Is the train stuck in mud?
    ...and hauling logs?

Level 10,000 achieved
    From Other Suns is having an Open Beta weekend on Oculus, ending today.

It's a FPS-roguelike-spaceship-FTLesque-thing developed by Gunfire Games(Chronos, Dead & Buried) with co-op for up to 3 players. Like Star Trek Bridge Crew but more actiony and freeform. The bridge where you plot your course through the galaxy and order your units around will be very familiar to players of FTL, and the away missions is pretty standard VR shoot-em-up stuff. There's 2 movement modes, comfortable and advanced. The comfort mode is interesting, it's not the usual teleport, but instead when you push forward on the movement stick you remain in place but a 3rd person avatar of yourself runs ahead, when you let go of the stick your view snaps back into your character's head. It works! Anyway, this whole thing is... quite good! Gotta play some more to make my mind up about it. I've made it about 20% through the campaign and lost 1 of my 3 crew members.

I won't have time to try it out, but it does sound interesting, and I'm always up for developers experimenting with movement modes. (DOOM VR's movement sounds a bit like that.) Shame it's three-player coop and not for four people.

Edit: Small thing I've noticed - a number of VR games I've played (e.g. Lone Echo) don't have a loading bar, which I'm surprised to find I find kinda annoying. If there are long loading times in a non-VR game, I just check my phone or clean up the desk a bit, but in VR I'm really aware of long loads, and in the absence of some sort of animation telling me that something is in fact happening, I then start to wonder if the game is bugged and will just go on loading forever. The kind of small animation we see in many games would help in that it would make me think that, yes, something is in fact happening.
    Last edited by Thirith; 1st Oct 2017 at 07:09.

Protagon

So http://store.steampowered.com/app/698100/Protagon_VR/ is a new thing from Digital Eel.

"a hybrid casual game that blends concepts from mini-golf and pinball with an intuitive VR interface."

I've no idea if it's any good (and as I stopped using Steam and don't own any VR gear, I'm unlikely to ever play it) but I've always had a soft spot for their games, so I thought I'd at least give it a mention in this thread in case it piques anyone's interest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuC-kQhW5t8

I presume the depth perception in 3D makes it easier to reason about, 'cause it all looks pretty flat in the 2D trailer. I imagine they've taken their usual good care on the audio front.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Y'know what, sure. I just bought Protagon. It looked like fun and I was kinda baffled by the lack of reviews on the Steam Page, so why not, here's my chance to be the first person to discover this gem in the rough!

Well, it starts off ok. The gameplay's unique, even though the execution is a tad unpolished. However a few levels in I run into a gamebreaking bug where the game positions me in a place too far from the ball to interact with it. There's no restart level option as far as I can see, only a quit option. So I quit to the menu, and... there's no continue or load option. I have to start the whole game over from level 1. Hrmmm.... well, ok. So I start over from the beginning, and pretty soon I've made it past the part with the teleporters that I got stuck on previously. Level quality kinda takes a dip around level 5 or 6 when the layout gets so muddled it's more luck than skill that'll get you further. And after level 6, guess what? It's over. Total gametime, including my botched first run? 24 minutes. I'm starting to see why there's no Steam reviews, I'm guessing everyone else did the same thing I just did, which was to ask for a refund. In no way is this worth 10 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Level quality kinda takes a dip around level 5 or 6 when the layout gets so muddled it's more luck than skill that'll get you further.
    Ah, that's kinda how it looked in the trailer, which is why I was pondering the 2D vs 3D issue.

And after level 6, guess what? It's over. Total gametime, including my botched first run? 24 minutes.
    Oh, wow. That's terrible! I'm a bit shocked.

(The levels are the same every time, yeah? Given you had to restart, I'm sure you would have noticed if they were pseudo-random or something.)

Onward is by far my favorite VR game. Never felt so immersed in a game and even a year+ later I still get that VR "wow factor" from it. Insurgency was my go to FPS prior to it but going back I've found that I'm just completely uninterested in it and other flat games. First person flat games now feel like third person games for some reason ... hard to describe. In addition, all flat realism focused FPSs feel too arcadey now--nothing beats actually having to hold the gun and aim through the sights. Regarding steadying your gun correctly with two hands, it takes some practice but you get the hang of it pretty quickly. Or you can buy a stock for pretty cheap (or make one yourself). This also makes sniping possible which opens you up to a whole different level of gameplay. Really looking forward to the upcoming capture point game mode.

Other games that I keep coming back to are VTOL, Climbey, Racket NX, IL2: BOS, DCS World, and Assetto Corsa/Project Cars 2 (Ironwolf and Pavlov VR is also good now and then, waiting for Virtual Warfighter to mature) Good SP games (listed separately because they don't have much replayability): XING The Land Beyond, FORM, Windlands, Alien: Isolation (with MotherVR mod), Doom 3 BFG VR mod, Superhot, and Lone Echo (although I refuse to buy PC-dividing "exclusives"). The Gallery Ep 1 would be good but I can't really get immersed without smooth locomotion.

As far as the medium overall, I personally don't think content is the issue right now. Rather, I actually think we desperately need gen 2 HMDs. Gen 1 just isn't good enough even for your average PC gamer IMO--it's still in enthusiast territory. Once they've increased clarity, incorporated wireless, and increased comfort/ease-of-use I think it will be ready for wider adoption. I'm not saying people aren't blown away when they try my Vive but those three caveats are always mentioned as deal breakers. They're just too distracting for non-enthusiasts. And hopefully by gen 3 we'll have lightfield displays so we can actually change focus ... that will be a huge improvement.

Woah, When you're doing 3rd party VR do you always go for the game specific mods? I'm using VorpX, and it's tough to get a handle on, but seems to at least give me SOMETHING with about 90% of games that I try.

Does the MotherVR mod for A:I get rid of the annoying shadows glitch in Geometry mode? I have to play mine in Zbuffer otherwise the item highlight and shadows are rendered in different places for each eye. The 3d effect is amazing, but the shader problems give me a headache.

Quote Originally Posted by Volitions Advocate View Post
    Woah, When you're doing 3rd party VR do you always go for the game specific mods? I'm using VorpX, and it's tough to get a handle on, but seems to at least give me SOMETHING with about 90% of games that I try.

Does the MotherVR mod for A:I get rid of the annoying shadows glitch in Geometry mode? I have to play mine in Zbuffer otherwise the item highlight and shadows are rendered in different places for each eye. The 3d effect is amazing, but the shader problems give me a headache.
    MotherVR is most likely much better than VorpX (I say without having experienced the game in VorpX). You should definitely give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Volitions Advocate View Post

Not sure about shadows but I haven't noticed the highlight being rendered in different positions for each eye. Other than head rotation being slightly "off" and some culling issues, it's a pretty decent mod for what it is. Not nearly as good as the Doom 3 mod but still decent. I've never used VorpX--I've read that effect isn't so great and that the developer is pretty shady--but I'd imagine that the MotherVR mod is much closer to "native" than VorpX. For the most part I don't bother with experiences that don't have native support.

I didn't use VorpX much, but my initial experiences with it were, sorry to say it, pretty bad. So much so that I decided to stick with games and other experiences that offer native support or dedicated mods, if people liked the latter.

My experience with VorpX is that people always seem to have an expectation of what it really is that is off the mark. It has a LOT of settings to tweak and you can spend some time dialing it in for a good experience. I especially find it useful compared to something like Flawless Widescreen, which only works if the game you're playing has a specific plugin for it. VorpX will attempt to work on any game whatsoever even if it has no official support from the developer. And you can tweak it to make games that have never even been on his radar to work, with varying degrees of success.

VorpX is actually pretty awesome.

As far as the dev himself is concerned, I think people just don't like his DRM. Which includes sending him an email for an unlock code every time you re-install it. I don't like that either, but I think it's automated at this point.

Reading up on MotherVR for A:I. Yeah it is more akin to a "native" experience, minus the room-scale stuff. Whereas VorpX is more like Headset tracking = Mouse emulation + 3D rendering for HMD. The shadow issue I'm talking about also seems to occur for people with 3D monitors. If MotherVR fixes that I'll definitely give it a try. (I can't stop coming back to this game. I have all 50 achievements now and over 100 hours. Odd for me for a SP only game)

I see what you mean re VorpX, but the thing is this: if I try it out, not even with default settings but with ones that are recommended for a specific game, and the experience doesn’t at least convince me of VorpX' potential, then I find it difficult to muster the enthusiasm for trying to make it work even somewhat okay when there are games that work out of the box. Compare my brief experience with Dolphin VR and Metroid Prime (the GameCube version) - neither Dolphin nor the game were made to work in VR, but when I tried it out I could see the potential.

I’m not saying the potential isn’t there with VorpX, but at least when I tried it out I felt it was very much only for people willing to invest a lot of tweaking time with no guarantee that the result would be okay, let alone good. That sort of thing has an appeal of its own, but it doesn’t appeal enough to me.

This website has some interesting VR demos: http://tore-knabe.com/virtual-reality

They generally take one idea - usually with respect to perception and sensory input in VR - and play around with it. Nothing even approaching a game, and there's an air of art (or, if you're more likely to use that word, pretension) about most of them, but I think there should be more experimentation in VR, so I appreciate this. The two that I think I might revisit are Coffee Without Words (it's fascinating how much of a difference it makes to have someone look you in the eye in VR) and Knock Knock (which works with *not* seeing as well as with strongly directional sound).

Also, I quickly checked out Scanner Sombre in VR and IMO it works extremely well, to the extent that I think I wouldn't want to play it outside VR. The controls could do with more options re: locomotion and turning, but I'm looking forward to playing this in earnest.

Finally, I found out this week that Arizona Sunshine also offers smooth locomotion controlled with the left thumbstick, and for me at least this is a more than valid alternative to the game's teleportation. It might make some people nauseous, but I like looking around while I'm moving. Now I just need to find someone to play the game online while I'm playing it as well (which isn't easy, since my VR times are pretty restricted).

Anyone have any luck with VorpX and either Thief Gold or Thief 2? I don't need head tracking or anything, even just good 3D would be cool.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Here's a bundle of 10 VR games for under 5 bucks!

https://www.indiegala.com/vr

Are they any good? I don't know! Downward Spiral and Maze Run look kinda interesting tho.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Oculus Go is a standalone $199 VR headset that doesn't need a PC, a phone, or wires
    Superior, cheaper 2nd gen hardware is on the horizon now. Don't cry technology early adopters, you know what you signed up for!

I'm hyped for this alongside Microsoft Mixed Reality headset range. Elite Dangerous awaits!

Level 10,000 achieved
    Very nice! That product is more on the level of GearVR tho. No positional tracking, and likely similar processing power to a new Samsung Galaxy phone. You won't be playing Elite Dangerous on it.

Still great news tho. Our company makes a lot of VR for GearVR, and having this single standalone device could cut down hardware costs from almost €1000 to €200.

Tried out VR on the Oculus Rift for the first time via Jurassic World - Apatosaurus. I should note that this was my first experience with VR since the first generation of it back in the 90s (in Mechwarrior 2, Doom 2 and a few other games). And god damn. You don't walk at all in the "game" which was good, but wow this was an experience.

Having the Brontosaurus walk up and get super close. I knew I was sitting in a chair in a classroom (one my students let me test out their Oculus), but all my senses were telling me that I was there, and I instinctively moved my head away as the dinosaur got closer. VR has REALLY come a long way. The dinosaur looked real-ish, very real looking trees. Really well done, though even after getting the screen in focus it was still a bit blury. The fact that you couldn't see your hands in front of you was a negative as well. 90s VR had that (yes I know there is glove add on's but this one did not). I'd have liked it to go for a bit longer, but it was great in what was done.

If they could just release a good cyberpunk RPG game in VR I'd be all over that. For now though it still lacks that killer app. Hope it gets one.

Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2712172227282930313233 LastLast