TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 34 of 42 FirstFirst ... 491419242930313233343536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: There's a VR HEADSET on my FACE! :D

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeshibu View Post
    Also note the dash update should be out today, allowing you to manage your desktop without having to lift up your headset.
    It sure does! I'm in VR right now typingh this on a big ass virtual keyboatrd!m One fungerpress at a time and making lots of typos! THIS IS THE NEXT LEVEL BABY!

Level 10,000 achieved
    The Oculus Store is having a Winter Sale.

I picked up Bending the Light, which is supposedly a good puzzle-game, plus super cheap.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Picked up CCP's E-sports title Sparc when it was 7 bucks yesterday. Got my butt kicked by a little girl in the first match. Thought about demanding a refund for the indignity I had suffered, but then played a couple more games (both against fellow noobs I'm guessing) and won both of them. It's fun, and a good workout. But I'm also not sure it's the kinda thing I'll end up spending much time with. I'm not crazy about multiplayer games with strangers to start with, but especially in multiplayer in VR you feel so much more exposed, what with it's motion-tracking and voicechat on by default. It's like there's suddenly a stranger standing in your room, and they feel as awkward about it as you do.

Thing What Kicks
    Holy crap, Magic Leap may not be vapourware after all!

Yay! There's my chance to finally look like a cyberpunk geek from the early '90s!

Level 10,000 achieved
    Ooooh! That's a bold design.

From the Rolling Stone article:
    As things wrapped up in the demo room, Miller asked me what I thought, and I told him: The goggles were so comfortable you almost forget youíre wearing them. The computer attachment fits neatly into my pocket, and its tether to the headset never got in my way. The controller felt intuitive almost immediately. The sound was both accurate and powerful. But I had one concern: The field of view.

Like Microsoftís HoloLens, which uses a different sort of technology to create mixed reality, Magic Leapís Lightwear doesnít offer you a field of view that matches your eyes. Instead, the Magic Leap creations appear in a field of view that is roughly the shape of a rectangle on its side. [...] The viewing space is about the size of a VHS tape held in front of you with your arms half extended. Itís much larger than the HoloLens, but itís still there.
    So the Hololens' biggest drawback, the limited FOV, is still there, but not as bad. This sounds less like the miracle they've been hyping for years and more like just an iteration on current tech.

I haven't tried it myself yet, but it seems that Google Earth VR has been updated to allow you to navigate places in Street View. I already consider Google Earth to be something of a covert VR killer app, and this should make it even better.

I just tried out the Alien Isolation VR fan mod - and it works surprisingly well. I won’t be playing the entire game like this, but it is pretty damn cool to explore these familiar spaces in VR.

Chances are that I’ll play until my first encounter with the Alien and then I’ll nope outta there at light speed.

Level 10,000 achieved
    This one, right? Glad to see it's constantly being worked on. I tried the un-official official VR support years ago, but I imagine this is much better.

I finally got around to playing Landfall last night though! Just like AirMech Command it's a kinda Z-esque thing, but whereas I didn't like either AirMech or Z, Landfall is very much to my liking, due to being more of a action-game than strategy. You're still a part of a bigger army, and capturing and holding points is a big part of the gameplay, but here you're only directly controlling one unit, and your actions have a major impact on the outcome of the battles. I'm enjoying it a lot!

Yup, that's the Alien mod. The guy doing it is calling the current version 0.4; I'm hoping that he can do the majority of the tweaks he's got planned, because it could definitely not be mistaken for a native VR game, but it does already show the potential.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Mmm, I'll wait at least until snap-turning is in. Smooth locomotion I might be able to stomach for 30-45 min sessions, but smooth turning is too much for my tummy.

Couldn't you just turn IRL?

Level 10,000 achieved
    It's designed to be played seated with a gamepad at the moment. And my swivel-chair is so busted it don't swivel much any more. So, no.

Has anyone seen a early access release on steam called Unknightly? looks like a vr version of Thief!

Level 10,000 achieved
    I think we had a thread about that, yeah. Looking at the videos on the Steam page right now it does kinda make me wanna pick it up right away, despite it being Early Access. It looks kind of amazing.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Finished Landfall. Pretty short, since I beat it in a couple evenings. Good though. The difficulty ramped up nicely in the second half and I actually had to plan ahead a bit more instead of just winging it. The final mission was a tad annoying though, since it expected me to remember a couple mechanics from the tutorial that I hadn't used since.

Oculus has The Climb on sale for 10€, and Wilson's Heart for 8€. Both are daily deals so they expire in a bit less than 18 hours.

Henke, I'm tempted by The Climb, but I recall you weren't thrilled by it, right?

Level 10,000 achieved
    No, The Climb turned out to be a bit of a disappointment. It's too easy as a slow, methodical climb up a mountain, which is what I wanted from it. Instead it seems more geared towards being a speedrun type thing, where you compete with other players on the leaderboard to see who can get to the top the fastest, which isn't something I'm interested in.

I played some To the Top this morning, and while the game could use some polish in terms of its UI and controls, it’s great fun bouncing around these wonderfully vertical levels. No trace of VR nausea either - that only came later when I was playing Lone Echo and one of my sensors went on the fritz. Here’s hoping it was only a temporary USB-related issue. Anyway, thanks a lot to henke and Jeshibu, the two guys who gifted me To the Top in parallel!

On a different note, I like what they're doing with the Oculus Home environment, even if I don't think the implementation is quite there yet. Do I understand correctly that you can invite others to hang out in your Home? I enjoyed that sort of thing in GTA Online already, where we'd meet up in someone's apartment before a heist.

In other words, Oculus Home needs more bongs.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yeah I like it too. My favourite feature is the Oculus game console where you get SNES-style game-cartridges for all your games.

I gotta come over and see your place some time, Thirith.

Aw man, you're telling me I have to clean up? Or do anything with it, really?

Do you know if the virtual desktop is visible to visitors?

Homeworld in VR?

Quote Originally Posted by Fafhrd View Post
    Fellas. Last night I got to play an early build/demo of Flotilla 2. Remember Flotilla? The turn-based Homeworld-esque roguelike by Blendo Games? He's making another one, in VR. It's AMAZING. It's pretty much exactly how I imagined a VR interface for Homeworld should work + some lo-fi Blendo-ness. Walking around a space battle and just grabbing ships and dragging them where you want them and pointing them where you want them to face and watching it all go is so fucking good. I haven't been this excited about a VR thing in a while, but I want the full thing now and I can't have it so I'm sad.

I also really want an actual VR Homeworld game because this totally proves the viability of the concept and I think adding real-time on top would just sing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    Okay, you know what, if anything's going to tip me over into donning a fucking sensory deprivation helmet, it's going to be motherfucking Homeworld VR.
    until Homeworld for VR arrives, maybe this might ease the pain:

A Homeworld-inspired, no-frills space RTS, 1v1 online, designed for VR.

on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/560550/

(I am a 1-man Nomad Indie Dev, loved Homeworld back in the day, love VR now, and figured the 2 belong together...)

What you guys think?

Looks good, but I'm not a fan of multiplayer RTS games. I'm bad at them, and I wanna be able to take my time in Homeworld-likes. I see you've got a short SP campaign mentioned in the full version difference heading of the early access info though.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Arizona Sunshine is the daily deal today, so I picked it up. -55%, cheaper than it's ever been IIRC.

Also, refunded Sparc a few days ago, as I just don't think I'll end up playing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    Do you know if the virtual desktop is visible to visitors?
    Probably not.

Page 34 of 42 FirstFirst ... 491419242930313233343536373839 ... LastLast