TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 51015202530353637383940
Results 976 to 1,000 of 1000

Thread: There's a VR HEADSET on my FACE! :D

I just played through all the songs in Beat Saber in Normal. I think I might be ready for Hard. (I'm not ready for Hard.)

Also, while the Deus Ex: Mankind Divided VR Experience is pretty basic, it's still neat to revisit some of the places I've explored in the regular game. I often find, though, that the more detailed VR environments actually feel less real and immersive than the more simple, stylised ones.

Pretty much what I imagined the combat of Ender's Game looking like, except less leg-stunning.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Time to go... INSANE!

Though the name might indicate otherwise, "Lvl Insane" is not the hardest track or anything. It's in fact one of the easier ones, and one of the only 3 tracks I've managed to beat on Expert. Though they're difficult as hell, the Expert variations of the tracks also introduce a lot of really fun sections absent in the easier ones, which makes you want to keep playing and trying to beat them.

Yeah, the expert ones are very fun, but also crazy hard. With some of the sections, it feels like you just need to get the sabers started in the right direction, then just flail around. I've completed $100 Bills on Expert (grade: C) but man I don't feel like I have a handle on it at all. Just lucky.

Watching your video makes me want to leave work and go try to beat them.

Beat Saber - more fun than working.

Seeing that actually makes me wish there was a practice mode where you could adjust the speed. I'm not sure I'll ever manage Expert if I can't build up to it, and the jump from Hard to Expert seems pretty big to me (as with Guitar Hero and Rock Band).

On a different note: I'm very curious to hear more about the Prey VR spin-off - and I'd like to see an actual immersive sim in VR.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    Seeing that actually makes me wish there was a practice mode where you could adjust the speed.
    Yeah a mode where you could reduce it to half-speed would be great. In lieu of that, I recommend turning on No Fail mode and practicing one hand at a time. That's a good way to learn the sequences.

Level 10,000 achieved
    After a few delays, Budget Cuts is at last, finally, definitely, ABSOLUTELY, coming out tomorrow.

I've been offered to participate in a private demo of the Pimax 8K...I'll let you guys know what I think after I get back from E3 tomorrow.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Nice! Looking forward to your impressions.

Budget Cuts is out today, but apparently a lot of people are having crashes with the Oculus version. Probably best to hold off a little while before picking this one up.

Good news is that the Oculus Summer Sale just started. Considering picking up Arktika.1 or Rush.

I've got such a big VR backlog, I'm not buying anything new... until one of the things I really want is sold at a discount, and at that point I'll probably end up buying several things I didn't even know I wanted. :-/

Level 10,000 achieved
    Only thing in my VR backlog is Dead Effect 2, and Bounce. Picked up Rush and Eleven Table Tennis last night. Rush is an alright wingsuit game, tho it does get tiring holding your arms up constantly to fly.

ZylonBane
    When the object tracking is Octodad-level janky even in a game's official trailer, that's how you know the technology still isn't quite there yet.

Are you referring to the Budget Cuts trailer? If so, I’m not seeing the janky tracking you’re referring to.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I guess he’s referring to the bit of jitter on certain objects the player is holding. You can see it the clearest when he opens the inventory with the scissors.

And I mean, yeah, as with any new technology there’s plenty of space for improvement. The answer to the question ”is it there yet” is going to vary from player to player. Has the technology been perfected? No. Is it fun? Hell yeah! There are some great games coming out for VR right now. 2 of my top 5 games of 2018 so far are VR games. Personally speaking, I have not for a moment regretted getting a VR HMD. This is the most exciting frontier in video games right now.

I'm not even sure that jitter is a problem with tracking. People generally don't move as smoothly as animated characters do. It's not something you notice when it's yourself, because your brain compensates for these things. In addition, a lot of normal imprecisions when we move are exacerbated by the lack of weight in VR: there simply isn't as much inertia when you think you're holding something that has a certain amount of weight but actually there's no weight other than the very light controller.

Well, thanks to the Steam summer sale, I did get Eleven: Table Tennis after all - table tennis is a nostalgic thing for me, one of the things me and my dad used to play during summer. I also got IL-2: Battle of Stalingrad because I want to do some VR flying, again for nostalgic reasons (I was one of those kids that loved putting together models of WW2 planes). Finally, I played the Form demo and immediately got the game, seeing how cheap it is. It's not a fantastic game, but it reminds me of The Room, which I played on iPad, thinking at the time that this sort of thing could be fun in VR. It's definitely worth checking out the demo, as far as I'm concerned.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I posted this on FB earlier today but I figure I gotta show it off here as well. I'm guessing people might be interested in the VR development stuff, and also I just wanna brag!

This is a VR app we've made at work over the past few months. I made the VR app and content, my colleague Tony made the iPad app and networking stuff. It's an app for prospective buyers to visit a few houses that will soon be built in our city. As the buyer walks around the area, the seller can view their movement via the iPad app and guide them.

There was a lot of back and forth with the client about the look of the interiors and what kinda material-options should be available for walls/floors. We also had a lot of trouble with the netcode, the VR headset only sometimes connecting to the iPad, but in the end we got it all worked out and ended up with a really solid product. Started development for GearVR, but switched to Oculus Go when that came out halfway through development. The change-over was painless as it's basically the same device. Switching to Oculus Go did afford us one more button to interact with tho. Previously you could only walk forward, now you can walk forwards AND backwards! We could cram more controls in there, but this thing also has to be as easy to use as possible so best not to have more buttons than absolutely necessary.

That's pretty cool henke. I've been waiting for an app like it to appear for a while. Visiting virtual spaces to get a feel for size & scale is a perfect application for real estate.

One thing: I've had an Oculus since DK2, and I still have motion sickness issues when using free locomotion like that. Do you have any other movement types? I can see users getting ill after a few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    I posted this on FB earlier today but I figure I gotta show it off here as well. I'm guessing people might be interested in the VR development stuff, and also I just wanna brag!

This is a VR app we've made at work over the past few months. I made the VR app and content, my colleague Tony made the iPad app and networking stuff. It's an app for prospective buyers to visit a few houses that will soon be built in our city. As the buyer walks around the area, the seller can view their movement via the iPad app and guide them.

There was a lot of back and forth with the client about the look of the interiors and what kinda material-options should be available for walls/floors. We also had a lot of trouble with the netcode, the VR headset only sometimes connecting to the iPad, but in the end we got it all worked out and ended up with a really solid product. Started development for GearVR, but switched to Oculus Go when that came out halfway through development. The change-over was painless as it's basically the same device. Switching to Oculus Go did afford us one more button to interact with tho. Previously you could only walk forward, now you can walk forwards AND backwards! We could cram more controls in there, but this thing also has to be as easy to use as possible so best not to have more buttons than absolutely necessary.
    I haven't seen one like this before and all I can say is this is so freaking cool. I love everything about it. This is indeed a good VR app.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Thanks Shoshin and alexa!

Quote Originally Posted by Shoshin View Post
    One thing: I've had an Oculus since DK2, and I still have motion sickness issues when using free locomotion like that. Do you have any other movement types? I can see users getting ill after a few minutes.
    This is the only locomotion type. I get motion sickness too, but not from this one. I think I managed to make it as nausea-free as possible. The rotation is all from the user manually turning around, since the Oculus Go is wireless, turning around is easier and more viable than wired headsets. Forward and backward locomotion is instant, with no acceleration/deceleration, this also decreases motion sickness.

Level 10,000 achieved
    PSA: Sairento VR is free for the next 3 days on Oculus!

Just played about an hour of Form, and while it isn't great as a game - the puzzles are too simple for that - I love the mood and atmosphere. It feels like a mix of The Dig's more abstract moments and the last twenty minutes of 2001, and the tangibility that comes with VR and Touch controllers is great. Definitely well worth checking out the demo. I did have the problem at the beginning that something I was supposed to pick up was just outside my play area and there was a real-world door in the way - but when I (blindly) opened the door, it turned out that the sensor still picked up my controller just outside the room. Once I'd done this, I was able to proceed normally.

Also, Beat Saber rules so hard.

Also, it seems that it's now possible to hang out with others in their Oculus Home, where before you could only show your home to others but not share that space. I wanna see henke's virtual bachelor pad and criticise his choice of art!

Level 10,000 achieved
    Ok, well I'm gonna have to decorate the place with my Oculus Medium sculptures before I have anyone over. It's just not disturbing enough otherwise.

So I've discovered the key to getting higher scores in Beat Saber. Apparently the score has nothing to do with how on-rhythm you are, but instead is based entirely on how much you move the saber. Bigger arm movements, higher score. I've managed to get A's in several of the songs on Expert. I've also discovered that if you do it that way, it is one hell of a cardio workout. 15 minutes & my heart rate is way up there and I'm drenched in sweat. Glad I got the VR Cover to go with the Oculus.

Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 51015202530353637383940