TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101520 ... LastLast

Thread: There's an OCULUS RIFT on my FACE :D

Facebook Buys Oculus Rift For $2 Billion

...and I just ordered the DevKit2.

Not sure I want facebook actually on my face.

Still, on the upside FarmvilleVR is now a sure thing. And who wants steam friends when facebook is a thing.

OMGWTFBBQ!

...Well. Go Sony?

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Quote Originally Posted by jay pettitt View Post
    Not sure I want facebook actually on my face.

Moderator and Priest
    Vae's picture above all but confirms we're currently residing in the End Times.

Stock up on dried goods and water, folks. It's all downhill from here.

And TotalBiscuit now works for Disney. What a week.

I'm waiting to see how open the platform remains before going full cynic.

"We view this as a software and services thing, a network where people can communicate and buy things," Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg said in a conference call Tuesday.
    Worst case scenario confirmed.

[Sarcasm readings borderline]

I can cherry-pick PR and claim that everything will be okay:

Their technology opens up the possibility of completely new kinds of experiences.

Immersive gaming will be the first, and Oculus already has big plans here that won't be changing and we hope to accelerate.
    ~Mark Zuckerberg

The point is that Facebook is indeed looking to monetize VR as an advertising and shopping platform, straight from the horse's mouth.

I'm sure they'd love for it to support their social network business model, but we still don't know how any of this is going to pan out. We're not in worst case scenario territory yet.

Still Subjective
    Gamer was on last night. How fortuitous. (I got bored after he got free and I've never seen the end).
    Telepathy is not mind reading. It is the direct linking... ...of nervous systems... ...separated by space.

Oculus Rift, because looking away during ads is evil.

Also, Notch doesn't want to develop Minecraft for the OR anymore.
    Last edited by WingedKagouti; 26th Mar 2014 at 05:59.

I imagine they'll come out with some kind of sphere-camera, like they have on the tops of Google maps cars, with speakers, maybe a mugshot screen, and you stick that on your computer or on the couch & that's your friend's access point.

I like the people online who are going into full tinfoil hat mode at the news: OMG, Facebook will turn the Oculus Rift into a datamining device! Are those people aware that FB already has a much more effective datamining device with insanely more reach than OR will ever have, i.e. Facebook?

That's not to say that there isn't anything to worry about here, but people need a reality check.

Facebook just isn't cool. Neither is advertising the amazing anti-winkle cure doctors have been keeping secret but discovered by a 42 year old hockey mum, which can be yours for only $20.

That's the problem. Not privacy. What are we buying into? A cool product or knock down price bill board space we can strap directly on to our face.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    Facebook will turn the Oculus Rift into a datamining device!
    Minedatacraft

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Ostriig View Post
    Minedatacraft
    Please tell us you fumbled that on purpose.

01111001 01100101 01110011

Quote Originally Posted by jay pettitt View Post
    Facebook just isn't cool. Neither is advertising the amazing anti-winkle cure doctors have been keeping secret but discovered by a 42 year old hockey mum, which can be yours for only $20.
    That's the genius of targeted advertising don't you know. Only get information on stuff you really are likely to want, like how lazy skinny guys get ripped because you're male, or info on that thing you already bought last week.
    You won't believe the kind of next level algorithms necessary to do all that.

"At least it wasn't Microsoft or EA" is a pretty good point.

Moderator and Priest
    Honestly, I don't care that Facebook owns it, so long as they leave it alone and allow it to continue on it's normal course. Leveraging their tech to make a neato Facebook application and maybe making some profit off it is fine. Stripping it of all functionality and selling it as nothing more than an overly expensive glorified head based 3D chatroom isn't.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Facebook will allow Oculus to operate largely independently - Zuckerberg
    There's already the precedent of Facebook acquisition Instagram largely retaining its own ecosystem and you're free to link photos on any other SNS.

This is bloody great news. Now Occulus potentially have a sh*t load of funding to throw at R&D. The future is looking all the more grim for Sony's Project Morpheus now.

The kneejerk reactions from Angry Internet Man vocal minority are entirely expected. Mostly what they're achieving is reinforcing their image as irrational mouth breathers.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
    See this:-
    If you want to experience Minecraft in VR, there’s an excellent mod that does this. It’s called Minecrift, and you can find it here.
    http://notch.net/2014/03/virtual-rea...nge-the-world/
    So yeah, this means nothing for Minecraft.

As for whether or not other/future Mojang games support Rift, ATM it's not a big deal. I doubt that any other Mojang games will be socially relevant, Scrolls certainly isn't.

Sony could throw Facebook's annual revenue at the morpheus if they really felt like it. But why bother. There's always their decades worth of experience and vast R&D infrastructure and manufacturing chains in consumer electronics that they don't have to lift a finger to create. They shit out 1000 things as complicated as the Rift on an annual basis.
    And wait til Samsung decides to make one...

Anyway, I don't really care that much. It's a rather odd thing for facebook to buy is all. Do they think they're Google now or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    Honestly, I don't care that Facebook owns it, so long as they leave it alone and allow it to continue on it's normal course.
    That's a maybe. But facebook, who aren't benevolent, spent $2billion doing this. It's now for they (and oculus) to now show the world they spent all that money not eager to influence the outcome.

It's possible. But it's also not the only potential outcome.

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101520 ... LastLast