TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217222732 ... LastLast

Thread: There's a VR HEADSET on my FACE! :D

Can't you just, you know, hold your phone near your face? Not sure just blocking peripheral vision is all that great.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Heh, yeah that just seems like an attempt to get in on the VR craze in the cheapest, easiest way possible.

You might be just as well off making your own VR headset by carving out some holes in on old milk carton and taping your Android phone to the other end.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    Can't you just, you know, hold your phone near your face? Not sure just blocking peripheral vision is all that great.
    If it's done properly, it also seperates the visible areas for both eyes and it'll have an app that manages the image being split up.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    Can't you just, you know, hold your phone near your face?
    No, dema....the lenses of the device, along with an associated app, will split the image so that the user perceives stereoscopic 3D.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Heh, yeah that just seems like an attempt to get in on the VR craze in the cheapest, easiest way possible.

You might be just as well off making your own VR headset by carving out some holes in on old milk carton and taping your Android phone to the other end.
    The lenses and the app will create a stereoscopic 3D effect, similar to the Oculus Rift...Yet, the graphical processing power will be limited, due to the fact that it relies solely on the computational ability of the android phone, rather than on the superior ability of a more advanced, high-fidelity GPU, available on the PC...The user will be limited to android games, as well.

Products like this one (the one Vae posted) have been around for a little while already.
    http://www.crunchwear.com/360specs-v...phones-screen/

On the other hand, Oculus and Samsung are teaming up to make one that uses some of the technology from the Rift, so it might be more compelling.
    http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/30/576...headset-report

Level 10,000 achieved
    There's been a version of Quake 2 that works with Rift DK1 out already for a while. Tried it a while back and it was alright. Nothing amazing though.

But here's some cool stuff I've been trying out lately:

My Neighbor Totoro Bus Stop Scene

There was a recreation of the Boiler Room from Spirited Away that I played a while back and was a bit underwhelmed with. I've never actually seen My Neighbor Totoro but this simulation was nonetheless a lot more impressive. The soundeffects of the falling rain creates a really nice atmosphere, and the animation of the charcters are just wonderful. And the sense of scale is great. Totoro is a big guy. Kinda scary, but also just magical. At one point he jumps and when he slams down into the ground lots of rain comes pouring down. Then he gets on a cat bus and leaves. It's pretty crazy.

Windlands

First person game with some really nice movement mechanics as well as a really cool grapling hook. You can jump really far in this game. You know in games like Prototype or Crackdown where you can jump really far and it feels super awesome? Imagine that in first person, in VR. It makes you feel like God.

Quote Originally Posted by sNeaksieGarrett View Post
    I got a DK2. I've had it for just over a week now, and it's the bees knees. I bought Quake 2 on Steam yesterday and played a little bit in VR. It's crazy how fast you run in that game! It took me an hour to readjust to the slower speed of real life afterwards.

Does anyone else here at TTLG have a DK2?
    Last edited by Weasel; 8th Aug 2014 at 12:09.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I doubt it. Are you experiencing any motionsickness with it? How does it perform overall, compared to DK1?

I doubt it. Are you experiencing any motionsickness with it? How does it perform overall, compared to DK1?
    I'm not experiencing much motion sickness when everything is working properly. Anything that doesn't have working motion-tracking (such as old demos that are not fully compatible with DK2) can cause sickness pretty easily, though.

I never got to try the DK1, so I can't compare. I can definitely see the pixels (and even subpixels) if I'm paying attention to that (things that are far away tend to be fairly pixelated), but when I'm properly immersed, I don't mind. The technology is far from perfect right now, but that doesn't stop it from being extremely awesome!

Southquarter.com/fms
    One thing I've always wondered - how heavy or intrusive is the actual headmask thing, for whatever version? It always seemed like it would kind of weigh your head down. Some of the pics I've seen make it look fairly big and bulky.

Also - are we calling it the "Rift" now, or is it the "Oculus?"

"Oculus" is the name of the company...and "Rift" is the name of the product.

...and by the way, I am a developer.

Southquarter.com/fms
    I realize all that, I just meant what is the current popular way to refer to the product itself. It used to be referred to mainly as "The Oculus."

"Oculus", "Rift", and "Oculus Rift", are all commonly used at this point in time...however, among developers, "Rift" is used more often than not.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    One thing I've always wondered - how heavy or intrusive is the actual headmask thing, for whatever version? It always seemed like it would kind of weigh your head down. Some of the pics I've seen make it look fairly big and bulky.

Also - are we calling it the "Rift" now, or is it the "Oculus?"
    It's probably not as heavy as it looks. I feel like it might start to weigh me down if I kept it on for many hours (specifically, I think my neck would get tired if I was looking around a lot), but it's not bad for shorter sessions.

I call it the "Oculus" sometimes, but when I catch myself I correct it to "Rift." I usually call it the "Oculus Rift," when I'm talking to people who may not be familiar with it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
    I got a DK2. I've had it for just over a week now, and it's the bees knees. I bought Quake 2 on Steam yesterday and played a little bit in VR. It's crazy how fast you run in that game! It took me an hour to readjust to the slower speed of real life afterwards.

Does anyone else here at TTLG have a DK2?
    I have ordered one, though it hasn't shipped yet.

Once I get it, I *really* want to play Thief 1/2 using it. Ideally, if somehow the source code ended up here (here being my house), I would spend many hours figuring out how to at least implement native rendering support in the Dark Engine.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Nice! Not much in the way of control interface, but there's plenty of games that could be made with just look+1 button. Proton Pulse Rift uses no buttons at all for instance, menu navigation is done by staring intently at various buttons. Though of course wireless gamepads also exist for Android, getting one working with some VR games can't be that big of a leap.

Anyway, certainly an exciting first step for completely wireless, mobile VR.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Apparently the Rift consumer version will cost between $200-$400 USD. This site also reports that it'll be released in May 2015: http://www.kdramastars.com/articles/...lease-date.htm However, since they're the only ones reporting it, and since their name is kdramastars.com, we can probably take that news with a pinch of salt. Hope the release date isn't too far off tho.

ZylonBane
    Proton Pulse Rift uses no buttons at all for instance, menu navigation is done by staring intently at various buttons.
    Higher-quality video.

ZylonBane
    I'm dubious. So far it seems like everyone's been in an arms race to come up with the most kickass vaporware.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    I'm dubious.
    Don't be...I can assure you that in the coming years VR will revolutionize the industry.

Currently it's all about early experimental development, and waiting for the tech that's almost there for the first consumer releases...By next year, this will become obvious to non-developers.

And the Holiday 2015 release date is definitely a "shit or get off the pot" challenge to Oculus bringing out the consumer version of the Rift sooner rather than later.

Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217222732 ... LastLast