TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 29 12345611162126 ... LastLast

Thread: There's an OCULUS RIFT on my FACE :D

Level 10,000 achieved

There's an OCULUS RIFT on my FACE :D

My boss was kind enough to let me borrow the Oculus Rift Dev Kit from my workplace. I've only played a bit of Lunar Flight yet, then I came right here to post about it, because as everyone in the biz knows the only thing better than playing games on an Oculus Rift is bragging about playing games on an Oculus Rift to people who are less fortunate. Man, this Oculus Rift FEELS SO GOOD ON MY FACE UNF

But seriously, Lunar Flight... holy shit.

After switching the systems on I sat there with butterflies in my stomach for a few moments before I worked up the courage to finally hit the thrusters, and once I did... man oh man. It's hard to describe how pants-shittingly scary that first ascent was. Drifting above the moon's surface with little but the beeping of the instruments was surreal and magical. And when it came to the landing, well I'm competent enough at LF to land without too much hassle, but this time I wobbled around up there for a good while. Decending, panicing, adjusting, overadjusting, leveling out, making another attempt at a landing, freaking out again, leveling out... it's a wonder I still had any fuel in my tank by the time I finally set it down. This is amazing.

I'm gonna try playing some Richard Burns Rally, Euro Truck Simulator 2, Arma 2, and perhaps Mirror's Edge as well. I have a feeling simulators will fit this thing the best, but of course there barely are any games at this point, like Lunar Flight, which have been custom-tailored for the Rift. If anyone has any suggestions for what I need to try to play on this thing, let me know!

Still Subjective
    How about Far Cry 3? Anything with amazing scenery actually. I think Alien Isolation (when it arrives) will be perfect for this.
    Telepathy is not mind reading. It is the direct linking... ...of nervous systems... ...separated by space.

Although I only own the low def one, I have played some games on it. I found Half-Life 2's characters to be suddenly more relatable, and I empathized much more. In the sequence just before the coast, I felt really bad about my fellow teammates injured and suffering while receiving medical attention. Before I played it with the Rift, I felt indifferent, like I was just watching a movie.

So, one of the things it does really well is bringing you more into the emotional experience the designers intended, since the suspension of disbelief is strongly assisted.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Oh yes, gotta try HL and Portal.

FC3? Maybe!

Custer's Revenge.

Try out Human Revolution or one of the old Thief games.
    Mirror's Edge would probably make me violently sick. First person parkour. On rooftops. Without the ability to look at my hands steering Faith. I'd get vertigo in seconds.

"Plumbers Don't Wear Ties" would be a laugh.

Dishonored! And Crysis 3?

Keep us posted, Henke. Lucky bastard. :-)

Administrator
    Amnesia: The dark descent?

I've heard criticisms of the Oculus Rift screen - mainly the screen door effect where you can see black lines between the pixels. What's it like on the one that you're borrowing? I haven't been keeping up with it, so they may have already come out with improved sets (if the criticisms were even valid to begin with.)

The latest version that they've been showing has reduced the screen door effect a lot, and they've managed to get much better latency. Apparently the version they've got now is pretty amazing and likely to be even more so by the time this comes out. I'm excited about the potential and will most likely get one, provided that early press is good and that there's a number of interesting titles being supported. For someone like me who's big time into walking simulators, this is a dream come true.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Neb View Post
    I've heard criticisms of the Oculus Rift screen - mainly the screen door effect where you can see black lines between the pixels.
    As has been stated many, many, many, many, but apparently not enough times, the screens on the developer prototype units are much lower-res than those that will be available on the consumer production units.

In fact, in the newest dev units, the resolution has already been improved to 1080p.

I wanted henke's opinion after trying it, that's all.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yeah the "screen door" effect is defenitely there, it was very noticable the first time I tried the Rift but I can't say I've even thought about it today. But the low resolution defenitely means that a lot of games won't be playable on the current dev version. Just tried Euro Truck Simulator 2 with it and it's almost impossible to read roadsigns traffic further than 50 meters away is just a blurry mess, and the headmovement is slightly delayed and very jerky, it feels like being drunk. I was hoping for more from ETS2 on Rift. Still, the current implementation is only in the Beta stage, perhaps by the time the consumer Rifts go on sale they'll have it in a playable state.

Also tried Surgeon Simulator 2013. You have to look almost straight down and it feels like you're floating above the patient, made me kinda nauseous(as if the game wasn't nauseating enough already!), but it was very playable and enjoyable nonetheless.

I have Thief 2 installed so I'll defenitely give that a try, and I'm currently downloading Portal 2. Will give Minecraft a go as well.

How easy is it to play games not developed for Oculus Rift using it, henke?

Southquarter.com/fms
    How about some Stalker, Condemned, or Penumbra/Amnesia?

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    How easy is it to play games not developed for Oculus Rift using it, henke?
    It varies a lot. ETS2, Lunar Flight and Surgeon Sim are supported and it didn't take much more than adding some launch parameters in Steam to get them running right, but after that I've tried some unsupported games with varying success.

Thief 2

KoHaN69 managed to get this one working, but I had to track his posts to Reddit to find out what program he'd used. Even with that, however, I was unable to get it working right. Seems you have to have the modded version of Thief that'll run in widescreen and windowed mode. Can't be bothered getting all that stuff working tonight.

Minecraft

There was a whole laundry list of things I had to download and install to get this working. Totally worth it tho, Minecraft looked, performed, and played incredibly well in the Rift. Modders have outdone themselves. Looking forward to spending more time with this one.

Portal 2

This one, along with a few other Valve and Bethesda titles, is supported by this program (apparently it should work with a lot of other games too). I managed to get it working quite easily but had to mess around with console commands in-game to fine tune the FOV and whatnot. The movement speed of looking around with the Rift is too sensetive tho, not sure how to turn it down.

Oh man, this was too much Rift in one night. My stomach hurts. I haven't gotten motionsickness from a game since Turok, but this did it.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Seems you have to have the modded version of Thief that'll run in widescreen and windowed mode. Can't be bothered getting all that stuff working tonight.
    Mother of god. You're still running the OldDark version of Thief?

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Just tried Euro Truck Simulator 2 with it and it's almost impossible to read roadsigns traffic further than 50 meters away is just a blurry mess, and the headmovement is slightly delayed and very jerky, it feels like being drunk.
    They could use it as an educational tool to warn young truckers about the dangers of driving under the influence.

I'm curious how Dark Mod responds. AFAIK no one has worked out how to getting it working, since the BFG version of Doom3 that supports it isn't TDM's version.

I'm a big fan of exploratory games like Stalker & Skyrim, so I'd have a field day with the Rift and games like that. Can't wait to try it sometime.

El Shagmeister

My brother got access for buying an Oculus Rift developer kit thanks to his investigation work at MIT while he's doing his Ph.D., so he brought it home over for the holidays and I got to play with it for a bit. Pretty spiffy piece of hardware, I'll say. Got to play some Crysis 3 and Bioshock Infinite with it, plus use a cool program that simulates you being inside a movie theatre.

Awwww yisss, shit was awesome.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Cool beans Ducky, did you manage to get good performance in BSI and Crysis 3? Most newer games run pretty poorly in the Rift for me.

Tried Antichamber and Mirror's Edge
    Both of them running through the Vireio Perception app(same as Portal 2), and both plagued by the same issues Portal 2 had. Too sensitive movement, framerate drop whenever I move my head, and the in-game view doesn't look as far up as I can look IRL, resulting in the view being offset when I lower my head again, meaning that what was "straight ahead" a moment ago, is not so any more. Mirror's Edge flickered as hell as well and had a framerate below 10fps for the most part. Antichamber ran better, but was still not a very pleasant experience.

Overall, this Vireio Perception app isn't really cutting it. So far the only games to be truly playable and enjoyable with the Rift have been the ones that have had proper integration either by the dev or dedicated modders. Currently downloading HL2, which is supposed to have native support.

Also gave a few Unity-developed Rift demos a go. Gravity Well, Heli-Hell2, and Jetpack Project. Gravity Well wasn't much to write home about, but the other two were a lot of fun, tho simple.

edit: also Ambient Flight.

Last edited by henke; 22nd Feb 2014 at 09:35.

What's your hardware, henke? Also, I'm surprised that even some games that weren't developed to work with OR do work relatively well with workarounds - after all, this isn't just like a 3D wrapper for your new screen but ideally needs to accommodate other aspects beyond just display.

From everything I've read (and I've read quite a bit, developing a mild obsession with the OR about half a year ago), this will work best with relatively slow, methodical games, more so than with overly twitchy ones. Mirror's Edge would be great in theory, but in practice I imagine it's too fast and twitchy to work well. Something like Stalker, on the other hand, or Arma - or old-school Thief, really - would seem to fit the device better. Those, and any game that decouples view direction from the direction you're moving in. Sir, You Are Being Hunted, which already works with TrackIR, would be a natural fit.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I've got a AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.20 Ghz with 6 GB RAM. It's got a few years on the neck but it's served me well until now.

Just tried HL2, and I see what Blastfrog meant about the characters.

In the screenshot it doesn't look like much, but it's hard to convey how realistic these characters feel when viewed through the Rift. The way you can move your head and see with real depth perception makes it feel like reality. Reality, but with crappy graphics. HL2 seems to work well with the Rift, but I still get nauseous after a few minutes. A lot of people seem to be having that problem. Seems I need to configure the IPD settings. Mine are a bit wider appart than the default setting. That'll have to wait until tomorrow, gonna give it a rest for now.

Moderator and Priest
    If you're getting nauseous, I'm guessing it's because you don't have the turn radius tracked 1:1 to the movements of your head. That's a classic problem with VR. If you have even the tiniest bit of lag between what you see and what you expect to see when you move about, it'll give you motion sickness faster than you can say HHRRRRRGGGG.