TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4914192021222324

Thread: Dishonored 2

I solved Jindosh's puzzle lock - yay! (Though I'm a bit annoyed that one clue is worded ambiguously, and I basically had to take a leap of faith that it meant A rather than B in order to solve the riddle.)

I had that problem too, and when I finally got the answer (after a bunch of failed attempts), I still wasn't quite sure that I'd figured it out properly.

For me it was this bit that clinched it:
    spoiler:
    "The lady in [color 1] sat left of someone in [color 2]." As long as I assumed that this meant that person A sat somewhere to the left of person B, I was stuck; the other clues narrowed things down, but never enough so I could continue. Once I decided that I'd work from the assumption that it means A sits to the *immediate* left of B, everything else fell into place.

I'm still wondering if there was another clue that could've got me to the same place if I'd understood it, but I don't think there was.

After the somewhat annoying Dust District (I prefer largely self-contained spaces like e.g. mansions in games such as Dishonored and Thief), I've just arrived at the Cheese Place (aka Stilton Manor) and I already love it - although I have to admit that I'm also a bit overwhelmed by these two overlapping spaces (and by not being able to use the powers I've been relying on). I find the concept absolutely fascinating, though, and it fires off a lot of associations, from China Miéville's The City & the City to my experiences with VR, where I perceive myself to be in one (virtual) space while still being aware of the real space I'm in, i.e. the bedroom.

Thing What Kicks
    Dust District / Stilton Manor's an interesting combination, as I find on repeat play-throughs, the Dust District offers more varied options where the gimmick of Stilton Manor quickly wears thin.

Just finished Stilton Manor and I'm a huge fan. What I especially loved was that
    spoiler:
    there's a third version of the manor, and where the original version felt oppressive and the past foreboding, the revised present version feels like a heavy weight has been lifted. The use of different colours and lighting works so well in this one.
    It's amazingly well done how different the same space feels in its different versions.

Having played the demo, more precisely the 1st mission for like 3+ hrs, I can say I'm kind of bored. Even though it seems like the game has all the right components of a proper stealth/action, their sum somehow doesn't quite work. I'd say there is a certain lack of atmosphere and danger, it feels a bit shallow/naïve. Also, I'm not sure why, but it seems like the game induces quite a nausea somehow, maybe coz I'm used to 3rd person for quite a long time.

PS: Perhaps the main reason why I became bored was an overabundance of objects to frisk if you're a perfectionist. There were a way too many lockers with loot and readables and things like that, I think I spent like 80% of time on frisking. Of course it's my personal psychological problem (can't finish a mission withot proper clean up), but I don't think I'm alone in this.
    Last edited by 242; 18th Apr 2017 at 09:23.

Quote Originally Posted by 242 View Post
    Having played the demo, more precisely the 1st mission for like 3+ hrs, I can say I'm kind of bored. Even though it seems like the game has all the right components of a proper stealth/action, their sum somehow doesn't quite work. I'd say there is a certain lack of atmosphere and danger, it feels a bit shallow/naïve. Also, I'm not sure why, but it seems like the game induces quite a nausea somehow, maybe coz I'm used to 3rd person for quite a long time.
    Try increasing the FOV or just sit further away. Most games have a default FOV that is better suited to console players sitting on a sofa across from a TV. When Dishonored 1 first came out, it had a non-adjustable FOV that made me feel disoriented and gave me a headache after a couple hours. Thankfully they fixed that in a patch, otherwise I might not have finished the game.

PS: Perhaps the main reason why I became bored was an overabundance of objects to frisk if you're a perfectionist. There were a way too many lockers with loot and readables and things like that, I think I spent like 80% of time on frisking. Of course it's my personal psychological problem (can't finish a mission withot proper clean up), but I don't think I'm alone in this.
    That's why we have SS2
    I suffer from hoarding tendencies too, mostly at the beginning of games. Once I level up a bit and have a comfortably full inventory, it starts to go away.

Quote Originally Posted by heywood View Post
    Try increasing the FOV or just sit further away.
    That's maybe it. I actually thought that maybe small FOV (it seemed small to me) could induce the dizziness/headache but didn't know it was adjustable.

On the bright side, combat felt really satisfactory. On the other hand, stealth seemed overly hard on the next-to-last difficulty.

PS: Also, I should say the demo with the entire first 3 missions is a clever idea. It should be able to hook quite a few.
    Last edited by 242; 18th Apr 2017 at 19:46.

The city in the 2nd mission is great. Beautiful and detailed. I think I spent like 5 or 6 hours in the mission already, it's not that big, but lots of places to scour. Somehow reminded me of the first mission in Calendra's Legacy (even though, sincerely speaking, there was a more absorbing atmosphere). Readables are interesting too, thanks God (or perhaps Digital Nightfall ) they all are of proper lenght, just like in Mission X of CoSas. The mission is totally in the spirit of Thief and much much closer to it than Thief 2014 ever was. But why there is such mind-boggling overbundance of the healing items and ammo. I almost always have all maxed out on the 3rd difficulty, even though I use the items quite often. I would remove not just half but like 4/5 оf the restorative items/ammo. Also, notes in the notebook about safe code, are they for mentally defective people? Overall, it seems the game is too guiding and helpful, I'd love the From Software approach here too.

PS: Just finished the Addermire Institute, and I must say the level is incredibly beautiful and very atmospheric. I had a feeling like I was playing one of the best Thief FMs (yes, I think it's a compliment), but with much better graphics and architecture. If only the game was considerably more difficult and had many decent puzzles... or at least the latter.
    Last edited by 242; 22nd Apr 2017 at 18:27.

If you've played Thief or Deus Ex or System Shock or whatever I have no idea why you wouldn't just stick the Dishonored games on the hardest difficulty out of the box. That's pretty clearly what they were balanced for. They still aren't particularly hard (the main campaign of the first game is stupidly easy, actually, the DLC and DH2 not so much) but well...you can always turn down the Outsider and see how that goes.

As far as safe codes go, you're on like the second mission. I don't think any of them are particularly hard to figure out, but they're not all that simple.

I started playing this game on Friday. Overall it's pretty good, though I didn't like how the start of it occurs. Your 1st placed into Emily's shoes and then do the tutorial + the first bit in the throne room. Only after that do you get to pick who you want to play as. What the game should have done was get you to pick who you wanted to be from the get go and then have different tutorials + starting bit based on who you picked. This would have been MUCH better. As it stands, that bit is quite jarring since 1 minute your 1 person, then the next your someone else. I went in wanting to play as Corvo.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    One thing I was wondering: those of you who went for non-lethal runs, did you still try to take care of most or all enemies, or did you mostly evade them?

I'm mainly asking because I'm trying to be mostly non-lethal, but there are bits where, for one reason or another, I go lethal. This morning I played some of the hub leading up to Jindosh's mansion and came upon a bunch of robbers hoping to ambush and rob someone. Seeing how eager they were to off someone for their money, I felt it was time to Domino-and-crossbow their asses, but I was wondering if in a second, non-lethal run I'd basically ignore them completely rather than trying to send them off to slumberland.
    I've been going 100% non-lethal and trying to leave enemies standing wherever possible. That said, I'm terrible at ghosting and haven't managed to do it successfully so far.

"Non-lethal" does not extend to clockers or bloodflies.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    Just finished Stilton Manor and I'm a huge fan. What I especially loved was that
    spoiler:
    there's a third version of the manor, and where the original version felt oppressive and the past foreboding, the revised present version feels like a heavy weight has been lifted. The use of different colours and lighting works so well in this one.
    It's amazingly well done how different the same space feels in its different versions.
    There are 4 versions of the manor, actually.
    spoiler:
    One in the present, when you arrive; one in the past; one in the present, if you subdue Stilton and he doesn't get to the meeting / lose his mind; and one more in the present, if you kill Stilton, where his manor is slowly decaying while put on sale.
    Last edited by Judith; 28th Jun 2017 at 04:56.

Anyone playing this with the recent PC patch? Seems to have finally ironed out some of the remaining performance issues, might take this for another spin once I've polished of Prey.

Latest patch in the demo seems to be a lot better, and plays smoothly.

Just need Denuvo to be removed and I'm in.

Don't think I've seen this linked here, but here's an article about one of the levels Dan made:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/2...rk_Mansion.php

Well, this is kind of interesting. During my first Corvo run, I wanted to get low chaos, shadow and clean hands. I only managed to get low chaos, because one idiot in Adermire Institute got scared of me and fell off the cliff, which counted both as detection and death from my hands. (I realized this a couple of missions later). With Emily, I decided to fuck it and killed everyone standing in my way, while staying undetected. That was fun. Now I started the no powers run, and I realized I just have to get clean hands, so I don’t need to be super careful with detections, as long as no one gets hurt. While this is coincidental, it also seems to be most relaxing play style I’ve ever had in stealth games

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4914192021222324