TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111621 ... LastLast

Thread: Dishonored 2

Southquarter.com/fms
    http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/25/13...-dont-preorder

Makes me wonder - if the game is good, what are you afraid of?

I don't really get that "don't pre-order" argument.

Yes, logically it doesn't make sense to buy something before you need it from an economic point of view, but it doesn't really make much difference either.

I buy games to support the developers so that they can continue to make the kinds of games that I like.
    I trust Arkane. I've enjoyed all of their previous games and want them to continue making more. At the absolute worst, I can imagine Dishonoured 2 not being quite as good as the previous one, but I'd still buy it anyway.
    Surely preordering games gives the developers more cash earlier, which they can invest in making the game even better? (At least, that's the idea behind kickstarter, it probably doesn't work quite like that with big publisher games.)

That said, I never actually got around to preordering this. I had meant to, but I forgot.

Don't preorder because it creates a disconnect between game quality and game success. In most cases preordering is buying a game on the strength of the marketing rather than the strength of the actual game. It's definitely part of the problem with triple a.

Basically it means that you get more of stuff that can be marketed easily and less of stuff that is actually good. Get it?

verbose douchebag
    What Vivian said. The only game I pre-ordered in the last 5 years is XCOM2 and that was only because I was weak and couldn't help myself.

These days you can't accurately gauge how good a game is until the hype dies down anyway. Usually takes a month or so before the community can come to a consensus.

The media can easily be whipped up into a frenzy that doesn't bear scrutiny later. Bioshock Infinite was hailed as the gift of god on release, but now is considered just "OK" by most folks these days.

The only ones hurt by this review embargo are hack journalism outlets and those impatient among us.

Southquarter.com/fms
    IMO, Bethesda's argument doesn't make any sense. In the article I linked to above, they use the new Doom as an example. They say that they didn't give out any pre release copies, and the game did really well, so it backs up their argument. But the point they're missing is the game is good (sounds like it was, at least, haven't played it), and positive reviews could have boosted sales even further through hype and what not for release day.

As it turns out, I think a lot of people heard it was good much later, and now are probably just waiting until the price drops as time goes by or it hits bargain bins. It's almost the reverse effect to what they'd want.

I was skeptical about Doom before release. Now that it seems good though, I'm definitely waiting for the bargain bin

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    What Vivian said. The only game I pre-ordered in the last 5 years is XCOM2 and that was only because I was weak and couldn't help myself.
    It's those damn preorder discounts that end up getting me hooked.

I basically had Doom written off, especially after the decision not to give out pre-release copies. If someone hadn't gifted it to me, I would probably have waited until it was dirt cheap.

Moderator and Priest
    Speaking of Doom, I'm playing through Brutal Doom64 right now.

...apparently I'm now a contributor to holocaust denial.

Actually, I now remember why I'd never pre-ordered Dishonoured 2. If you try, it gives you a big warning that you are "wasting" the pre-order bonus of the Definitive Edition of the first game.

Not really sure why the pre-order bonus is completely useless for the actual fans of the series who played the first game (e.g. the people likely to pre-order it) and useful for people new to the series (who are unlikely to pre-order it.)
    It's almost like they don't want people to pre-order?

Chakat sex pillow
    Pre-ordering as a mechanism doesn't even make sense with digital goods for consumers. With physical copies, there was the possibility of not getting the game when you wanted it because stock was limited, so you could lock in your purchase to avoid a fear of missing out or whatever. Now that everything's on the internet, your copy of the game tears itself off the infinite datacloud in the sky and sloshes its way down those sticky network tubes to plop directly onto your HDD platter in a matter of hours.

What's important here is I don't think there's any need to encourage publishers or developers to take their customer base for granted, which is what Beth has done in deciding to not provide pre-release review code to outlets: why let anyone publish reviews for a game on release, when the public can instead purchase it sight unseen and make up their own minds whether they liked it? Supporting developers you admire is fine, but you can still do that after release day with zero difference; a pre-order is not a commission, and they're not making a game to your personal spec because you decided to riffle some bills at them a year before the game is due.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 3rd Nov 2016 at 17:39.

Maybe a simpler version is that pre-orders are a money-making exercise, and accountants literally do not give a fuck. So go ahead and play into their greasy hands, buy the shiny stuff a day or two early, because you actually might be a fucking twat. Seriously, there are economic models based on you being exactly that sort of twat, there has been stats done, and the various cooperatively-fenced-off findings are the reason we haven't had a thief 3 worth calling that or a ss3 that actually exists. You are one of the idiots if you preorder stuff. One of the idiots. It sounds dramatical, but honestly, argue me down. Preorders are terrible.

I'll pre-order anything Arkane or Obsidian make and I don't give the slightest shit what anyone thinks of that, tbh.

Why?

Seriously, why? There is so much to lose and so little to gain.

Because both companies have a perfect track record when it comes to making games I like. I have no problem rewarding them for that.

You are not rewarding them.

I mean, you are, but you are literally saying they can do whatever they like and you will buy it. Which means what?

Until they put out something that I don't like. At which point they get put on the "will probably buy near release time, but I'll wait and see" list.

I mean, imagine an obsidian writer pitching something at you. Preordering it is exactly equivalent to saying YEAH YEAH WHATEVER, I DON'T CARE WHAT IT ACTUALLY IS, I AM BUYING IT. It is not an evaluated purchase. It is meaningless. OK, but you supported the thing that you did not like in that case, because you couldn't wait two or three days to see what the fuck it was you were buying. Seriously.

(NB Doom is a rad (seriously rad) $20 purchase if anyones bothering btw. No story at all, but inspired bouncy stuff. Anyone who preordered it because they liked the new wolfenstein is still a prick.)
    Last edited by Vivian; 3rd Nov 2016 at 23:13.

I fail to see the difference between buying whatever they do and patronizing any other artists I like.

Edit: And of course, there are possible exceptions to the rule. I have no interest in Obsidian's tank MMO or their mobile card collecting nonsense. But if they're putting out a single player RPG in basically any sub-genre, I'll be there with cash out waiting.

Yes you do.

Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111621 ... LastLast