TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121722 ... LastLast

Thread: Dishonored 2

Why would you buy the newest Id game based on something some other developer made?

You are feeding money into a thing with massive marketing engines. It's not just say, radiohead, and their cheerfully offbeat marketing strategy. It is roomfuls of people who have nothing to do with any of the stuff you like who are arguing over the best way to get your cash off you sooner rather than later. Those are the people you are paying. Not radiohead, but the people who make shit radiohead t shirts and sell them on amazon.

Hang on, in answer to your question, I wouldn't. Id make engines, not games. I would need some sort of proof that it wasn't a waste of time before I committed to it.

The proof that Dishonored 2 and Tyranny won't be a waste of my time is that Arkane and Obsidian are developing them. They make games that I like a lot.

Come on, this must make sense. Blindly buying stuff based on dev promises is obviously stupid and makes everything horrible and bad. That is no-true-scotsman reasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Moyer View Post
    The proof that Dishonored 2 and Tyranny won't be a waste of my time is that Arkane and Obsidian are developing them. They make games that I like a lot.
    cough*Alpha Protocol*cough

I'm not buying them based on dev promises or marketing hype, I'm buying them because I like good games and Arkane/Obsidian have a perfect track record at making them.

Alpha Protocol is one of my 5 favorite games ever, so that doesn't prove much.

I mean in that weird pocket-universe logic, what happens if arkane make a genuinely shit game?

Then I don't pre-order their next one. And it doesn't even have to be shit; I liked the Borderlands Pre-Sequel I guess, but it wasn't good enough to make me rush out and get Borderlands 3 without getting feedback from friends who have it first. I like Nihon Falcom games but I'm not rushing out to get Xanadu Next until I see if the new release is any good.

Arkane and Obsidian are basically like the Beatles or Barrett-era Floyd or the Mooney/Suzuki Can lineups. If it were possible for those things to release a new record, I'd be buying it tomorrow.

If everyone follows your philosophy, it's a mega seller because they weren't actually paying any attention to what was being sold, just who was selling it. Halo effect etc.

Its a system that encourages names over content.

If everyone liked Arkane and Obsidian games as much as I do the world would be a better place, for one thing.

Anyway, my list of devs or series who I will pre-order is a pretty short one. I like the Arkham games, but they aren't on pre-order level for me. Or the aforementioned Borderlands, or whatever. Monolith had a pretty good run, then Contract JACK happened and I leapt off the train. And there are obvious counters that would keep from pre-ordering something, like being a mobile title or an MMO or some other shit I don't care about.

People liked Dishonored a lot, actually. To the point that it's pretty unlikely we'll see something like Arx Fatalis again.

You are encouraging a system that does not reward quality, for the sake of maybe 24 hrs on average early access and/or a fiver off. It's fucking stupid. Good devs shouldn't need it.

That is my biggest disappointment about DH2. I really dislike that Arkane is making a sequel/franchise game. On the other hand, jesus there's a 99% chance of it giving me multiple orgasms.

Making a shit game means not getting my money in the future. How is that not rewarding quality. I can't gauge a game's fucking quality until I've played it, so being part of a series I like or being made by a developer whose work I like is a pretty big determinant when it comes to deciding to buy it. Otherwise it goes in the "wait until it's on sale for less than $10" pile if I'm curious about it.

Not preprdering a shit game means nor getting your money right now. How does that not sound sensible?

How do I know if the game is shit until I've played it?

I think you're failing to distinguish between my reasons for pre-ordering something and the reasons people pre-order shit like No Man's Sky or [insert something hyped to fucking hell here] and then immediately get burned by it, say that they're never going to let it happen again, and then go and do the exact same shit because they're stupid.

I like the games that Arkane and Obsidian make. I will buy anything they make. At some point it's likely they'll do something shitty, and will lose that goodwill. Thusfar it has not happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivian View Post
    You are encouraging a system that does not reward quality, for the sake of maybe 24 hrs on average early access and/or a fiver off. It's fucking stupid. Good devs shouldn't need it.
    Devs don't get the rewards anyway. They have fixed pay. And the studio often only starts getting any money after the game has brought in something like 5 times its cost: http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Tyron...ee_Round_1.php

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Moyer View Post
    How do I know if the game is shit until I've played it?
    Watching gameplay footage and reading reviews is a pretty good indicator usually.

Ok there are degrees here. But the difference between 'arkane have made good games, I will probs buy this unless the reviews are actually awful' and 'i will buy this regardless' must be obvious, you're not an idiot.

The few times I've ever been burned buying a game (and it hasn't happened on a pre-order/day 1 yet, afaik, always at like 50-75% off but not below my $10 threshold) it's been because the gameplay videos/reviews made it seem like something I'd like. Then I played it and didn't enjoy it whatsoever.

There's very little correlation between how a game is rated in reviews (user or pro) and whether or not I personally will enjoy it.

Southquarter.com/fms
    So, when is it OK to buy? Release day? After 10 reviews are out? I don't see much of a difference. It the same amount of cash going in the same direction.

I agree with Jason - if you have the track record, you've earned the pre-order. But also know the moment you slip, it ain't happening. If LGS was still around, they'd be an automatic buy. If a new Elder Scrolls comes out, it's no questions asked. But those are extreme examples, not everyone is going to do that with every game.

I still haven't bought the latest Deus Ex, even though I liked the last one. Partially because EM screwed up Thief, and partially because of all the pre-order bonus BS and microtransactions. They screwed up, so now I'm waiting for a price drop.

NOTHING SHOULD EVER BE AN AUTOMATIC BUY. that's the entire point! If you have lost the will/ability to judge something on its merits rather than its heritage, then everything has gone tits up.

Right, and you can't judge something on its merits until you've played it. Catch 22 omg.

Brethren gets it, although I enjoyed Thief quite a bit so EM hasn't quite hit my naughty list yet. They also aren't really on my nice list either; I'm not sure I'd have an interest in their games if they weren't related to series that I already enjoy. Although maybe an EM-developed sneaker in a new setting would be good, I dunno until they make one and I eventually play it.

While Fallout 4 disappointed me in many ways, it's probably still top-50 game material so I'm still on the Bethsoft RPG train toot toot. If the explore/kill/loot thing weren't so goddamn fun they'd be in the buy-when-cheap pile though.

I buy games either after a good (critical) reviewer has praised it or after I have had the chance to try it. Otherwise I wait for a sale.

Oh, and sometimes watching someone play the game will do the trick too.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivian View Post
    NOTHING SHOULD EVER BE AN AUTOMATIC BUY.
    That is such crap. You're telling me every time you go to or rent a movie, buy a CD, buy a book, anything like that, you ALWAYS read reviews and opinions first? I call BS. There's got to be something you buy based on reputation.

Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121722 ... LastLast