Welcome to the Thief 3 Gold project. It aims to provide a couple of improvements and fixes for Thief 3 - Deadly Shadows. For the time being, this is an FMSel-ready release which acts just like a fan mission. In the future, it will be integrated into the Sneaky Upgrade by snobel. Please note that while the download is only about 22 MB it will take up about 700 MB of disk space after installation.
NB: "FMSel-ready" means this acts like a normal TDS fan mission. The archive must be saved to a certain folder and FMSel, the FM manager shipped with the Sneaky Upgrade, must be pointed to said folder and used to install T3G as an FM.
More detailed version:
- Start FMSel through the cyan desktop icon
- A dialog will ask for the FM archive path. Browse to the t3gold_1.0.7z file and select it
- The FMSel window should now show T3 Gold in the list
- To start the mission, select it in the list and click Play FM
- On the first launch it will show "Preparing FM..." for a long time, that is normal
This version has the following "features":
- No loading zones or blue fog in all nine proper missions (excl. the Inn tutorial)
- Re-designed transition zones (as faithful to the game as possible)
- Various fixes of broken/incomplete patrols, missing shadow-casting, un-ghostable AI positions
- Fixed Keeper enforcers (slight health boost, bodies defined as monsters so NPC will react shocked to their corpses, for further tweaks please cf. the notes on manual tweaks below)
- Reduced ambient fog to avoid the blue tint in many maps
- Removed transition zone symbol from hand-drawn maps
- From the Sneaky Upgrade side the game was tweaked to allow slightly larger maps (content-wise) which was necessary for the Cradle and Museum maps
- Fix to allow finishing the Widow Moira mission (Seaside Mansion) on EXPERT without stealing her inheritance (Optional, please cf. the notes on manual tweaks below)
Plans for the future:
- Turning the tutorial mission into a proper mission on HARD/EXPERT (this is a lot of work)
- Tweaking/balancing remaining bugs etc.
- Including proper briefing videos like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oorc2XpJ0gc
- Including proper hand-drawn maps (artists, volunteer!)
- Proper tweaking UI for the Sneaky Upgrade (AI awareness, equipment prices, HUD and font sizes etc.)
- Tweaking the movement of Garrett, maybe altered mesh
- Whatever comes up
What probably won't happen:
- Getting rid of City section loading zones (might work for small sections like Garrett's house or Fort Ironwood, but is a hassle in general because of the maps' complexity)
- Rope arrows and swimmable water
- Proper Pagan dialects
For any questions, criticism etc. please reply in the corresponding threads on ttlg.com or write me a PM there.
Cheers and I hope you enjoy it,
A big thank you for snobel, my partner in crime, as well as the beta testers and people making suggestions: Yara (who gave the most and thorough bug reports), Platinumocixity, Darth Slaughter, bikerdude, Kerrle, AntiMatter_16, lowenz (for posting it on RPS) and DJ Riff.
Notes on manual tweaks:
A few fixes can be activated by changing values in the Ints.txt file. Eventually there will be GUI support for this, but for the time being the file must be edited manually.
After installation through FMSel the Ints.txt file can be found by going through the Sneaky Upgrade start menu group: Click on Local Folders / Installed FMs, then browse to T3Gold_1_0\CONTENT\T3\Flags.
The lines that can be changed are lines 3-5 (counting from 1), as described below. Do not change anything else in the file!
The file lists all defined integer values used by the game. After their respective names, four numbers seperated by single spaces are given: The first number is the current value this integer has (this is the one you can change!)
, the second its maximum. The third number gives the minimum value, while the fourth gives the expiration game day.
Widow Moira inheritance fix: Change the line
SEA_T3G_LootFix 0 1 0 20
SEA_T3G_LootFix 1 1 0 20
If the standard value is set to 1, the selling price of the inheritance for Captain Moira's widow will be adjusted to 400 (from 500), rendering it less than 10% of the total loot, which makes it possible to finish the mission on EXPERT difficulty without having to steal the inheritance (which can have in-game consequences the day after Garrett has retrieved both the Compendium and the glyph key).
Keeper Enforcer Invisibility tweak: Change the line
T3G_KeeperAssassinsInvis 0 1 0 -1
T3G_KeeperAssassinsInvis 1 1 0 -1
If T3G_KeeperAssassinsInvis goes up to 1 and the difficulty level is HARD or EXPERT, the enforcers will turn invisible, won't have shadows, won't attack civilians and have a slight sensory awareness boost (1.3 instead of 1).
Keeper Enforcer Telepathy tweak: Change the line
T3G_KeeperAssassinsTelepathy 0 1 0 -1
T3G_KeeperAssassinsTelepathy 1 1 0 -1
If T3G_KeeperAssassinsTelepathy goes up to 1 and the difficulty level is EXPERT, the enforcers will approach the player once any of them has spotted him. For logic reasons I think this tweak should only be allowed to be activated if the former already is.