TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: Fms that won't work properly with New Dark - Summary of Issues in OP

Zombified
    Quote Originally Posted by Apiai View Post
    - T2 : Smugglers Request : extinct torches continue generating light
    does this also happen when you restart the mission?

Quote Originally Posted by Ricebug View Post
    I'm probably asking to get flamed here, but here goes...
    The issue with broken FMs (in particular, those with unobtainable loot) was discussed HERE. Some players would like these FMs fixed, and so I offered it up to the other mission artists. While some agreed that it might be OK to do, the majority was worried about violating copyright issues, as if we were discussing violating the nation's armaments treaty.

As soon as I finish my current WIP, I'm thinking of going ahead and doing it anyway. Now that NewDark has made more of these precious gems unplayable, I'll look to adding them to the pile. The effort will be to fix what's broken via drop-in replacements, without violating the artist's intent.
    Yeah, I think fixing them is an absolute necessity, I don't think any of the original authors would mind as long as no unnecessary alterations are made. Someone made a NewDark version of Autumn in Lampfire Hills recently (the original plays fine in NewDark), and it's great but the AI are all bright and don't react to shadows anymore

About a year ago people discovered that "A Pirate's Downfall" would crash in NewDark because one book had a texture that was one pixel too big. While this was fixed and an updated version was posted here, I don't know if the new version was distributed to various FM download sites. Checking on that would be a good idea.

Zombified
    yeah, non-power of two textures are pretty high on the "bad things you should never do" list.

Classical Master 2008
    In some missions, I can't seem to climb on ropes hanging right over my head. It has happened in Payback (1999. VIII. 21.) and right at the start of Torben the Traitor (1999. VI. 17.). Is this a known NewDark issue, or am I doing something wrong?

Melan, in cam_ext.cfg file, add this line:

force_correct_rope_lengths 1

this is how the end of my file looks:

; weapon bob scale factor in shock (a value between 0 and 1), also useful against motion sickness
    ;shock_gun_bob_factor 0.2

force_correct_rope_lengths 1

Classical Master 2008
    bassoferrol: I did as you suggested, but no luck.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    does this also happen when you restart the mission?
    Yep.
    It's happening with both version : original 16bits, and converted by me 32bits version.
    I use french version zip. I'll try with english version.

Zombified
    I find it hard to believe that the mission would run fine under oldDark, yet be broken in such a way under NewDark. will check on this tomorrow.

i found a problem with new dark mission,on a older mission

thief 2 mission Beginning of Era Karath-Din, The

when you get to the palace entrance with 2 guys on each side the door appears to be gone,but you are not able to pass it,inviso wall,so mission is not possible to win and ,i happen to love that mission for its music can it be fixed?

Melan, it works for me (Torben the Traitor)
    I found the solution in a doc in newdark a year ago or so, if I remember well.
    It works with Torben the Traitor. Before that, it was imposible. You were not able to reach the rope. It works. It works!

Zombified
    I think I'll add this to TFix as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Apiai View Post
    Yep.
    It's happening with both version : original 16bits, and converted by me 32bits version.
    I use french version zip. I'll try with english version.
    loaded the original english version into clean, Tafferpatched T2 install, tried dousing the oil lamps and the first two torches, no problem. a link to your version, perhaps?

// same goes with Beginning of Era Karath-Din, if you mean the double gemmed doors with egyptian symbols above them and two guards and a fountain with a big woman statue in front of them, then there is absolutely no problem with them.
    Last edited by voodoo47; 17th Apr 2014 at 19:25.

loaded the original english version into clean, Tafferpatched T2 install, tried dousing the oil lamps and the first two torches, no problem. a link to your version, perhaps?
    http://ryalla2.free.fr/FMT/A_smuggler_Request_FR.zip

Zombified
    sorry, but still working fine. clearly, you are doing something wrong - unfortunately, I have no idea what. I would suggest making a clean TafferPatched install of T2, and loading the FM via FMselect.

sorry, but still working fine. clearly, you are doing something wrong
    I've just tested ENG and FR version on my home PC and it works.
    There must be something wrong on my work PC, I'll try to find what...

I'm wondering, should I make a list of the confirmed issues? It could be helpful for people seeking to know the precise reason for a crash or issue. I believe we have a good amount of verified complications.
    Last edited by lupus; 18th Apr 2014 at 16:52. Reason: I felt I had to make things a bit more clear

I've had no issues with any T2 fm's so far, but you never know. I'm replaying Ominous Bequest for the first time with NewDark, I'll post any issues I find

Quote Originally Posted by lupus View Post
    I'm wondering, should I make a list of the confirmed issues? It could be helpful for people seeking to know the precise reason for a crash or issue. I believe we have a good amount of verified complications.
    Yes, please. It'll save me some time later when I start fixing what's broke.

Not sure if this a NewDark issue or not, but when playing 'The Keep' recently, there is a secret in the sewers in which you pick up 1scroll and receive a bonus, but when I played I it didn't seem to work correctly, as I couldn't individually pick up a scroll and nothing was added to my inventory......but it wasn't an HDmod issue, I checked on that through the Gecko thread

Sorry but didn't make note of which fms weren't NewDark friendly but will report anything else on this thread

Zombified
    make sure you are using the latest version of convict.osm (the one supplied in TFix should be the correct one).

Not really sure if this is a NewDark issue, but there's textures missing in Ominous Bequest Gold

Zombified
    I can't imagine what kind of crazy format would have to be used so that oldDark would load the texture, and NewDark would not. probably just the author forgetting to texture that place (not dml fixable, btw) - unless you can run the mission under oldDark and prove otherwise.

btw, checking whether the problem exists under oldDark before reporting is always a good idea, and it should be done whenever possible. a good part of todays pcs should still be able to run the ddfixed version, albeit barely.

another 2 NewDark issues ?....again checked the HDmod issue...its not that

in Nightcrawler, part 5 of Shadow of doubt series, you need to open a basement gate with a 'letter', makes the usual unlocking noise, but gate remains shut....not essential to finishing fm as there is only treasure behind gate

photo dump001_zps160c1f23.png

and in the 1st mission of Shadow of Doubt ( walking the edge ) in the very first screen we have a rather nice looking radioactive beam

photo dump009_zps0f41f663.png

i know this looks like an HDMod issue, but have changed the Dark.cam to no effect so maybe its not, but will still report it to Gecko
    Last edited by fortuni; 21st Apr 2014 at 06:40.

Zombified
    there is an extralight value of -1 on that object, placed there by the mission author for reasons known only to him. an object with this extralight value will look like this, so everything is working properly. if you want to remove the value, paste this into a txt file;
    Code:
    DML1

-ObjProp 998 "ExtraLight"
    ObjProp 998 "Scale"
    {
    	"" 1.43, 31.775, 1.77
    }
    save, rename the txt file into miss29.mis.dml and drop it into the folder with the FM's mission files. it will also fix the z-fighting on that object. not sure about the basement gate, might be some issue with scripts, and I'm not too good with those. btw, I'm pretty sure that using secret doors as brush replacements for no apparent reason is pretty high on the "weird stuff you should not be doing" list.

// also, when reporting a problem, unless it happens in the starting area like the one I've just fixed, make sure to include a quicksave. it will make the life of anyone wanting to solve the issue many times easier.
    Last edited by voodoo47; 23rd Apr 2014 at 18:52.

// also, when reporting a problem, unless it happens in the starting area like the one I've just fixed, make sure to include a quicksave. it will make the life of anyone wanting to solve the issue many times easier.
    not sure how to do that, as its not copy/paste, tried that.....could you gave me instructions and will happily do so

thanks

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast