TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Fms that won't work properly with New Dark - Summary of Issues in OP

I ended up doing Shadows of Doubt on my non New Dark install and it worked I didn't have any problem with that guard. I finished the mission a couple a weeks ago but I am just getting around to letting everyone know that I did and how I got around that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by nickie View Post
    Order of play.
    To avoid confusion and posts here, there and everywhere, if you have a problem playing a mission with NewDark, please make an initial post in the relevant mission thread. If you do not receive a reply from the mission author (or any other helpful human) within, say, 3 days, feel free to post your problem in this thread. Authors will probably not be reading this and may not be aware that there is a problem which they would otherwise be happy to resolve if they know about it.
    I posted in the FM thread too, I'll try restarting the game and see if it works. I'll post back here if it still crashes

I restarted the game, reloaded a previous save, but it still crashes every time

(I'm doing like the instructions say, first post in the mission thread, then post here if there is no response)

This may be a NewDark issue, because Moth to a Flame worked fine when I last played it a couple of years back.

There are two supposedly openable (according to Ricebug's walkthrough) windows in this mission that behave strangely for me so that I can't open them. When I frob them, they budge outwards just a little, then get slammed shut. Every time I try.

It's the type of window that looks like non-see-through glass with a handle on the outside.

(I can still complete the mission, but I miss a pretty large part of it, and it's of course bad if these windows don't work as intented in other missions)

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    I found one of them and can reproduce the instant reclosing. It's object 526 in case another Dromeder wants to take a look before this evening, I have to go to work now. I glanced at the properties and don't see offhand anything which would make it behave that way, but it should be fixable.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricebug View Post
    This is why an effort needs to be organized to fix these FMs. The old bromide, "If it aint broke, don't fix it" applies in reverse--if something IS broke, then fix it! This whining about copyright violations is a lot of hogwash. If the thing doesn't run, all the copyrights in the world come to nothing.

Copyrights protect the author from losing money to another agent who is trying to claim authorship. They have nothing to do with repairing his or her work. so that it gets the recognition it deserves.
    Quote Originally Posted by gnartsch View Post
    Good argument!
    Actually no one in the community wants to claim the rights on a fixed mission.
    We just want to see each mission in all it's glory.
    And we are willing to show our appreciation by caring about these missions.

This is probably the most sensible thing I have ever heard anyone say on a modding forum. I can't count how many mods for multiple games have been lost to websites going down because "oooh we can't upload this, we don't have so and so's (who hasn't been seen in years and may be dead for all we know) direct permission". (I'm staring directly at you RCT3 community, among others).

It's endemic in the fanboy world, I'm afraid.

I'm a heavy Railroad Sim 2014 player, and we have the same problem over there. There are a couple of broken scenarios, which, unlike Thief, we pay $$ for. Needless to say, there are some PO-d players who have bought these broken scenarios and can't get refunds.

The thing is, a couple of code geeks have fixed these scenarios but the administrators won't allow it, and even threaten to ban the folks trying to do a good thing. "Someone's looking into the problem" has been the canned answer for almost 2 years.

Probably getting OT here. Sorry...

Newdark glitches found in T1/TG missions
    confirmed by playing mission in olddark
    (i'll post everything in this one post as i go through them all to keep them all together)

Amida
    lockbox (397) at end of pipes does not open with key (355)

Wanted: Dead or Alive
    Wooden door at start of mission (225) does not open with key (655) but you can bash door down
    Metal door (292) does not open with key (614).....thus the mission ends here

Trickster Returns, The
    mission does not finish when playing on expert (impossible) with Newdark
    i also noticed with Newdark there appears to be no noticeable difference in the gameplay between the 3 difficulty settings, but when i played on expert via Olddark, it was a lot tougher, AIs more alert and more difficult to deal with, also a couple of doors were open in Olddark but closed in Newdark

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7U...ew?usp=sharing

The Treasury
    In the caves area, you need to get across a beam before you get crushed by a moving platfrom, in Newdark however the platform only goes half way up to the ceiling allowing you to climb up onto it

newdark screenshot: http://www.imagebam.com/image/81c757391390634
    Newdark save: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7U...ew?usp=sharing
    Olddark save: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7U...ew?usp=sharing

also in the treasury itself there's a floating platfrom you need to get across, in Olddark the platform is vivid lilac, in newdark its metal grey, and the colours in the garden are a lot less vivid in /newdark than olddark

Newdark screenshot: http://www.imagebam.com/image/523952391393761

ps sorry if i got these saves a bit mixed up, having a nightmare with internet connection today

Reported Newdark glitches, but problems still occur if playing through olddark, thus are NOT Newdark glitches
    Amida
    Objectives 'Kill the Bugbeast Lady's' do not check off....this occurs when playing via olddark so maybe a T1/TG engine conflict

F
    is it a urban myth that you start with 999 fire arrows and 999 holy water arrows ? you only start with one of each in Olddark, as confirmed in Dromed starting inventory, possibly due to updated version of this mission being released by JIS with different starting inventories...see posts below
    Last edited by fortuni; 3rd May 2015 at 17:57.

Actually you start with infinite fire arrows and holy water arrows in the original mission, it's just that the stack count doesn't have the right number in New Dark. I know this because I opened it once in my unpatched Thief: Gold copy that comes with the GOG version, and it showed no number in the inventory screen for these two arrows.

Fun fact: the code that gives you infinite mines in Mine Shock doesn't give you infinite arrows or healing potions. I tried it once.

well i checked my 'F' through Dromed both through olddark and Newdark and it only shows one of each as such

Report on Powerups
    A firearr (68) stack 1 in Inventory
    A HolyH2OArrow (26) stack 1 in Inventory

i'm not an expert, but regardless as to whether i checked it through olddark or newdark, what the author put in the starting inventory should remain the same in the Dromed report, yes it may show up differently in the game, but i don't see how Newdark would actually change the file, just how the files are read. my copy of F definately only has one of each arrow when played and checked through Dromed....strange maybe, so i suspect JIS must have released an updated version of this mission with different starting inventories, and some people may have the original JIS mission, but have just checked both the F files from both cheapmissions and wayback archive and both versions only give 1 fire arrow and 1 holy water arrow at start

i know that in another JIS 'Makiko' you start with a ridiculous amount of everything, and still its almost impossible to finish, is there any chance that there is some confusion between these two missions ?

regardless, F is very much finish-able with just 1 fire arrow and 1 holy water arrow, so even if there has been a change, author or Newdark somewhere down the line, its not truly essential to classify it as a 'problem' mission when playing through Newdark

Well, I clearly remember the fire arrows and holy water arrows not showing up any number in the unpatched version, and I just dug up this thread from TTLG. Here's a quote about this mission:

Quote Originally Posted by The_Dude View Post
    13. F (Thief Gold) - More classic JIS. You start with infinite fire and holy water arrows and just have to kill everything in sight. Short and sweet.

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99980

So was he/she wrong, or is it just problems with the mission?

Of course, I know you don't have to kill everything, you can just run to the scepter and back again.

yes i know about that thread, and i did not want to suggest the The_Dude was the originator of an urban myth, but i have seen this thread quoted a number of times else where, so it is possible that's where the beginning of the infinite arrows came from, but if such a F mission was released by JIS its not available for download now and as i said above i can't see how Newdark could actually change the amount of starting inventory items in a file, all it could do is mis-read such a file, but a taffer with a better technical understanding of such could possibly offer an explanation.

maybe i should remove the term urban myth from the above post , but i feel that if there is a suggestion that F is corrupted by Newdark it should remain in my listing of FMs that are not Newdark glitched, from what i can see and the possible explanations....lets see what a few others think about this one

In mission Information by Carl Ireland, on the ground floor of the big mansion, there is a room with a frobbable crayman trophy that doesn't work properly when you turn it round. It should open a secret place.

Zombified
    Quote Originally Posted by fortuni View Post
    Newdark glitches found in T1/TG missions
    Wanted: Dead or Alive
    Wooden door at start of mission (225) does not open with key (655) but you can bash door down
    Metal door (292) does not open with key (614).....thus the mission ends here
    Code:
    DML1

// Fixes for T1 FM: "Wanted: Dead or Alive" (SoulOnIce)
    // Affected Files: miss15.mis

FINGERPRINT
    {
       320 [-215 -67 -8]
       530 [87 -327 -12]
       614 [36 119 -7]
       457 [87 -327 -12]
       321 [151 48 -10]
       616 [-56 246 -22]
       518 [-50 99 -2]
       570 [-176 252 -4]
    }

// fix non-working keys in NewDark (due to inheritance the StdKey script runs twice on some keys, which isn't good)

ObjProp 320 "Scripts"
    {
       "Don't Inherit" TRUE
    }

ObjProp 530 "Scripts"
    {
       "Don't Inherit" TRUE
    }

ObjProp 614 "Scripts"
    {
       "Don't Inherit" TRUE
    }

Thank you for that Voodoo, i'll see if i can include a link to your post in my T1 walkthrough for this mission

T1 FM...The Treasury.......neither issue is a deal breaker though
    In the caves area, you need to get across a beam before you get crushed by a moving platfrom, in Newdark however the platform only goes half way up to the ceiling allowing you to climb up onto it

newdark screenshot: http://www.imagebam.com/image/81c757391390634

also in the treasury itself there's a floating platfrom you need to get across, in Olddark the platform is vivid lilac, in newdark its metal grey, and the colours in the garden are a lot less vivid in /newdark than olddark

Newdark screenshot: http://www.imagebam.com/image/523952391387441

ps sorry if i got these saves a bit mixed up, having a nightmare with internet connection today...
    pps the screenshots were taken with Necropro installed, just checked the floating platform without Necrobob's mod...still metal grey see http://www.imagebam.com/image/188cd8391396416
    Last edited by fortuni; 24th Feb 2015 at 04:44.

weird thing...
    but I noticed that some FM's had "disappeared" from the FMsel after a while... even though they are still in the FM folder I got them placed... its like the FMsel was refusing to notice them as if they just weren't there anymore....

You probably have some filter activated.
    Either a filter on the name or - more likely - on the 'status' (check the top with all the buttons).

Not sure if this is a Newdark issue but I've been having problems with Night One in the Seven Sisters campaign. Some items can be dropped, some cannot and others once dropped cannot be picked up again.

Perhaps it has something to do with the idiosyncratic order in which I played through Night One but at this point I cannot complete a key objective and end the mission.

Spoil tags for anyone that hasn't played it (seriously where have you been?)

The objective to destroy the Maya's amulet in the fountains beneath the Hammer complex seems impossible since the fountains are unfrobbable and I cannot drop the amulet no matter how hard I mash R

I'm still running 1.21 (Kingsbridge, released just last month runs fine so I saw no need to immediately upgrade and potentially foul up some earlier FMs I have an eye on)

Any ideas?

@King No One: The fountains aren't supposed to be frobbable, but you are supposed to be able to drop the amulet. FWIW, it worked fine for me just now.

I have another problem, though. When I carry a body, there is no image showing it, it's just blank. The name of the character is there (Lady Rowena typically gives names to every person in the mission) but the image of the carried body is invisble. Any ideas how to fix this?

The Mage's Area T1 mission

There are 3 versions of this mission. 2 x 1.0 version (normal and easy/lite) and 1x 1.1 version

The 1.0 versions are NOT Newdark friendly as there are at least 1 if not 2 bugs that will prevent you from finishing the mission.
    1. In the Path of Enlightenment puzzle there is a trap door that is meant to give way but with 1.0 it sometimes gets stuck
    2. After the Word puzzle in 1.0 the metal doors giving access the the tower does not open.....deal breaker

The 1.1 version is basically the same as the 1.0 easy version but with the bugs removed and this is Newdark friendly, so check your read-me file to make sure you have the correct version (1.1 also has 2852 loot whereas 1.0 normal has 2522 and 1.0 easy has 2792)

of note cheapmissions says it hosts the 1.1 version but actually the version it hosts is 1.0 so do not download from that site
    Last edited by fortuni; 13th Apr 2015 at 02:24.

One thing I've noticed is that when the script files used by a FM are updated to the latest versions, missions that didn't work with New Dark start working again. I suspect that New Dark is more sensitive to bugs in the osm files. So a good thing to try whenever a mission fails in any way with New Dark would be to replace all the osms with the current versions.

good idea.....well would be if i knew what osm files were and how to update them

any advise appreciated

1. Look in the directory that the FM's zip is expanded into when you instal the FM.
    2. Note down any file with the .osm extension and the date of the file.
    3. Do a search in the forum for where to download the latest version of each file.
    4. Compare dates.
    5. Download and replace files as needed.

thank you for that LarryG....i checked my convict.osm file and it's dated 1999, but i do remember that not that long ago i re-patched my Thief instal with the latest convict.osm for some other reason and my convict file is 1167kb whereas the one on taffersparadise is only 429kb...so i'm pretty sure i have the latest, unless you know where you can dl a more recent version.
    also can not find any dl sites for any miss.osm files...any sites come to mind ?

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast