TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Fms that won't work properly with New Dark - Summary of Issues in OP

Thought I'd bump this to see if these problems are only on my end...

"Off to Milhorn Manor" is giving me problems, and I'm not sure if they're NewDark-related or not.

The first problem is that all Lost City-type walls are pitch-black. Some floors in the mansion itself are also pitch-black. This makes the ruins sections look a little strange, but nothing game-breaking.

The second problem, is game-breaking. The switch that's supposed to let you grab 'Safety Key B' doesn't work - and that key is plot-vital to the mission.

Can anyone confirm/deny that this is a NewDark issue?

NewDark 64 Contest Winner
    I'm not seeing any black walls in NewDark. Maybe it has something to do with those textures being indexed pcx files, or maybe the folder in the fam directory isn't present?

However, that switch I can't frob in either NewDark or regular Dromed.

Edit: Oh, that's version 2.0, there's a version 2.1 that might fix the problem with the switch.

Edit: It is 'fixed' in the newer version. He didn't fix it in the most optimal way, but you can get the key. Still not seeing black walls though.
    Last edited by Xorak; 2nd Apr 2015 at 00:02.

Thanks for the help, will grab the latest version and try again.

EDIT: Turns out that I re-downloaded the same version that I had before (2.1). On the upside, the black walls/floors disappeared, but I STILL can't frob that switch...so how did the author allow players to get the key?
    Last edited by Unkillable Cat; 2nd Apr 2015 at 05:37.

The switch is still unfrobbable but he removed the small door in front of the key so it doesn't matter.

Calendra's Cistern
    When you come across Calendra, Dillon hands her a goblet, when he leaves the room Calendra places the goblet on the table thus you can frob 2 purple goblets in olddark, but with Newdark the goblet Calendra's holding disappears meaning you can only get 1 goblet from that table

Edit: This seems to be a general bug....sometimes the goblet disappears , sometimes it doesn't
    Last edited by fortuni; 3rd May 2015 at 18:18.

Horns of Canzo...

I haven't been able to get through the quicksand part of this mission for years now without Thief crashing so I thought I might give it a try with NewDark.

Well, it still crashes but I found a workaround: you can get the Fire Key through the Air Key area, from the 3rd Alps. There's a service tunnel behind the hotel, I only realized just now that you can actually shoot a rope arrow up the pipe in there (I tried it before but I guess I didn't hit the right spot and so concluded that I can't get to the key that way, but as it turns out I was wrong).

So I was finally able to go on with the mission and I guess I would have completed it on Ghost except that I couldn't get back to the 1st Alps past the two guards at the gate -- I don't know whether this is a NewDark issue, the guards are too sensitive? I know it was always difficult to sneak by but I know I've done it before. Anyway, I replayed the mission on Snake and knocked out the guards. I was finally able to get to the finish, wow!

Unfortunately, the staff (Sceptre of Krall) didn't work though. I was unable to destroy the portal to hell with it. To make sure, I followed the instructions in the walkthrough, it says you're supposed to 'use' the staff in front of the portal but it no longer works. Nothing happens. But I was so happy to actually be able to play the mission so it wasn't too bad of a let down.

i just figured out why i cant play some of the newer thief gold missions with massive amounts of black textures,i finally figured out how to load fmsel and it said that the thief i got it a old version,since the thief gold i have is a copy i am not sure if anything is missing and the copy of thief 1 i got is the original so its known to have problems when trying to play thief gold missions off it,but luckily its only a small hand full of missions i am not about to play less then 5 all thief gold more recent ones

Garrett's Young Years XTra

Just for fun I tried to play my old campaign Garrett's Young Years XTra under NewDark (1.22). I guess it is not ND-playable, because Garrett has become too fat. In part 1 he couldn't slip unseen thru the rhombic windows of the city watch (even NewMantle doesn't help) and in part 2 he always gets stuck (in all directions!) in the gap of the ruin so he can't reach the abandonned quarter anymore.

Never mind, it's an old story ... but if you want to play it you better take an 1.19 installation ...
    My FM campaigns Garrett's Young Years XTra, Reunion With Basso
    Want your upcoming FM translated in foreign languages?

That's odd, because wasn't Garrett's head-bob fixed a bit so that the player can squeeze into those 4-high spaces much easier?

The Prodigal Corpse T1mission

problem resolved...see below

Secret Door, that is opened with fire arrow on torch, immediately re-closes just enough to make the door width impossible to get through.....actually the door re-shuts really quickly after you have opened it about 2/3 seconds anyway could this also be a Newdark bug ?? but when it first opens it swings back on its hinges just enough to stopping you getting through even in that 2/3 second window

quicksave https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7U...ew?usp=sharing
    Last edited by fortuni; 18th Apr 2015 at 13:34.

Zombified
    what is supposed to be the normal behavior?

well that explain it.....just replayed with olddark and in olddark the torch is lit & so i put the torch out, but that did not open the door, i then picked up a bottle from inside the left hand pedestal.....and that is what triggers the door opening...and is the correct trigger both Newdark and Olddark ......the door opens fully allowing you entry

what i think happened was that i may have put that torch out earlier and when i shot a fire arrow at the now un-lit torch it may make the bottle jump up off the pressure plate , enough to trigger the opening (and then re-closing ) of the secret door

thanks for looking anyway Voodoo....query withdrawn

The Gauntlet T1 demo by Apache

Newdark/New mantle issue
    with olddark to get into one of the rooms with a Big Lever you need to pull, you need to run down the 'Hall of Death' which has a ceiling coming down on your head, arrows being fired at you and a sword trap at the far end, but with Newdark you can mantle up to the exit crawl space by the beam above the pool, thus eliminating a rather difficult but fun part of the mission, which is a shame, but as it's a new mantle issue is there anything that can be done about it ?

olddark save https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7U...ew?usp=sharing

Newdark save https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7U...ew?usp=sharing

Zombified
    you can disable new mantle. or modify the map so it would be new mantle aware.

was aware of disabling New mantle, what does modify the map to be New mantle aware mean ?

what my previous post was meant to imply was could a permanent fix be supplied or is this not an issue that need consideration or feasable

Zombified
    you fix the map so the player won't be able to abuse new mantle. for example, move the beam so it wouldn't be possible to newmantle onto it anymore.

King's Story

I'm just replaying this pearl (Tafferpatcher 2.14/NewDark 1.22, Darkloader, "Largo"/Expert difficulty, latest scripts) and encountered a problem in Part 2 while riding the dumbwaiter:
    no matter how long I kept jumping, hammering the walls, yelling, etc after it got stuck, nobody listened and the upper hatch did not open at all. Everything else worked admirably up to this point. Perhaps another NewDark issue?

Quote Originally Posted by csamba View Post
    King's Story

I'm just replaying this pearl (Tafferpatcher 2.14/NewDark 1.22, Darkloader, "Largo"/Expert difficulty, latest scripts) and encountered a problem in Part 2 while riding the dumbwaiter:
    no matter how long I kept jumping, hammering the walls, yelling, etc after it got stuck, nobody listened and the upper hatch did not open at all. Everything else worked admirably up to this point. Perhaps another NewDark issue?
    from what i remember you have to hit the shaft with blackjack or sword to get the attention of the person,i though i had same problem also,but it ended up working or reload a earlier save possible the ai got stuck from a save and load,a old trick to trick enemy's to lock up for easy blackjack,also i think you can use rope arrow above then once you start climbing dont stop and jump the hell out of that death trap

Quote Originally Posted by downwinder View Post
    ...reload a earlier save possible the ai got stuck from a save and load...
    It must have been something like that - 2 earlier saves failed as well, but when I finally restarted part 2 from the very beginning it just worked. Thanks for the nudging.

King's Story's second mission has always been a bit buggy, because of how complex the mission is. I think New Dark couldn't have contributed much to it. What is especially annoying about this mission is how guards that enter the mission later on can spot bodies you thought were well hidden, and make you fail the mission.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev_Anj View Post
    What is especially annoying about this mission is how guards that enter the mission later on can spot bodies you thought were well hidden, and make you fail the mission.
    That's because they (or the spirit of Dromed?) can do what I've never seen in any other mission: they apparently turn the lights back on in some rooms where I switched them off previously for safe storage of bodies...

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    That has been done before in several missions, including my mission Off The Record. But I agree, it is rare since it's not trivial to set up in Dromed.

Yes, there are several missions with that feature, though the only other one I can remember at the moment is Bafford's Town House by Esme. That was her fist mission and I thought it was pretty cool that a new author tackled that.

Possible Newdark bug, but may be a general bug difficult to say due to the randomization of this mission
    The Varyx Obelisk T1 mission by xarax

when you place the last Talisman in its Ward holder you should get 1 New Objective 'Learn where the portals lead and what they protect' and 2 New Objectives 'Obtain the Mystic Soul' & 'Obtain the Mystic Heart'

Edit : You need to have found the Red Boook and and Black Sword first before these 2 new objectives appear. I have found both but the Black Sword did not check off, bearing in mind that the Black sword's location is randomizied in this mission it may be that it was just that one location that failed to cause the Black Sword objective to not check correctly thus preventing the 2 new objective to fail

This mission worked perfectly well with difficulty setting easy(ruffian) and hard (Professional) but when playing on Expert (Virtuoso) that I had a problem

olddark hardsave https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7U...ew?usp=sharing

Newdark quicksave https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7U...ew?usp=sharing

Not having these objective appear means that the Treasury key (obj 1531) does not appear in the statue in the portal room thus meaning the mission can not be completed on this difficulty
    Last edited by fortuni; 25th Apr 2015 at 03:14.

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast