TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dying Light aka Deus Ex Zombie aka Mirror's Edge Zombie

Dying Light aka Deus Ex Zombie aka Mirror's Edge Zombie

This new Techland's game looks really interesting and I haven't seen a thread dedicated to it. (If there's one, sorry.) Three things:

1. Movement. It is incredibly fluid. No restrictions in first person view. I think Thief developers should see this.
    2. Day/night cycle (completely different gameplay) and quests that can be solved in many different ways. According to Dying Light developer it's "Deus Ex Zombie".
    3. Open world. It looks huge and really open.

BTW, one can build a character that does not kill zombies. It avoids them instead.

It can be anything but deus ex, looks like.

A friend pointed this out to me a few months ago and I was surprised I'd never heard of it. Then when I looked further, I couldn't actually find anything more on it other than the video and a rather sparse website. The video is about a year old and that's about all there is as far as news goes, even the wiki page is short on information, just calling it an 'upcoming zombie game' without citing any sources (barring the title, which just quotes some old articles that say 'Hey, a dev says they're going to make this').

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yeah it looks great. Dead Island with added parkour and stealth. I hope they really leave the game as HUD-free as it is in that video as well. And I wouldn't mind at all if it has a lot less resource gathering and inventory management.

Looks interesting. Came up a while back on RPS and haven't heard much since. A character in a zombie thing should have fatigue. Mirror's Edge did feel a little strange when you were almost super human in stamina (which wasn't often). But that's actually just because they got everything else so human-feeling.
    A zombie survival world definitely needs something like that.

But anyway, this should have 'Vertical Slice Warning' flashing in big letters on the screen, if your internal one is on the blink.

Quote Originally Posted by bukary View Post
    1. Movement. It is incredibly fluid. No restrictions in first person view. I think Thief developers should see this.
    Wouldn't be too sure about this point. It looks very much like the thing going on in the Tomb Raider reboot, Far Cry 3 and Thief, with special setpieces having special "parkour actions" baked by the designer.

Every wall he climbed through seemed to have a conveniently placed "u" shaped hole in them, the mantleable ledges had random stumps of ropes dangling out where you could jump, and the doors he cracks through are mysteriously highlighted with white paint splatters. It seems like even the light pole he climbed had white paint splatters all around the base.

I hope this could just be their version of Mirror's Edge's running vision, making the environment easier to read for the player, but it could also mean that the routes are governed by which scripted "parkour setpieces" are placed there to start with. (Flat wall = unscaleable, "u" shaped hole = climbable)

Still looks really cool, though.
    Getting strong Dead Island-vibes from the setting and crafting, but without glitchy physics and bikini zombies.

Tons of parkour in this newer video (timed demo, in Polish):

Commentary from the guy who played this timed demo with area restrictions (red grid on the screen): interesting quests, emphasis on exploration (no sidequests' markers on the map), great combat, absolute freedom of movement, zombie and human (more intelligent) opponents, using firearms attracts zombies, Dying Light becomes a stealth game in the night, there's a weapon crafting system in the game.

More gameplay (in English) here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH27niVlZMM (exploding and flying zombies!)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es_IEsZb_a4 (different area, night gameplay)

It looks like great fun. Let's hope it's as good as it looks.
    Last edited by bukary; 27th Apr 2014 at 15:25.

That actuall look really cool, if it manages to be more organic than pre-scripted sequence events as it claims. I agree about the fatigue tho, its be a bit weird if you could just run throught the whole city nonstop avoiding zombies like some sonic the hedgehog

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quote Originally Posted by seventyfour View Post
    Getting strong Dead Island-vibes from the setting and crafting, but without glitchy physics and bikini zombies.
    You do know that it's the spiritual successor to Dead Island, by the same development team, right? Think the equivalent to what Dark Souls is to Demon's Souls.

Still Subjective
    Looks interesting, thought those accents. Ugh.
    Telepathy is not mind reading. It is the direct linking... ...of nervous systems... ...separated by space.

Mmm hmm - nothing more annoying than shoehorned-in out-of-place English accents (speaking as someone with an absolutely stereotypical Tally-ho pip pip old chap English accent himself). At least they do actually sound English, rather than Americans doing what they believe to be an English accent.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I like the accent of the woman on the phone, whatever it is. I think she voiced someone in DI as well.

I like the look of the second gameplay video. HUD still there, but thankfully toned down a lot from DI. No huge XP pop ups all over the place.

Looks pretty much exactly like Dead Island. Wonder if it still has that bizarre system of buying and selling planks of wood for $5000.

ZylonBane
    So it's like Deus Ex if Deus Ex had you getting attacked every 8 seconds.

It's like Deus Ex if Deus Ex were a first person hack-and-slash game.

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by nicked View Post
    Mmm hmm - nothing more annoying than shoehorned-in out-of-place English accents (speaking as someone with an absolutely stereotypical Tally-ho pip pip old chap English accent himself). At least they do actually sound English, rather than Americans doing what they believe to be an English accent.
    That's just it. Where is this set? It's not England, that's for sure. The woman sounds like your typical London "cool" actress. Think Naomi "Yawn" Harris. And the guy has that hard-as-nails from the streets but actually not from the streets Manchester dood accent. I bet he's ex military. I don't like these because they're like all the accents in try hard British dramas, like Hustle and Spooks, which are all incredibly almost-but-not-quite good. Don't get me wrong, Brit accents work well in the right context, but not these and not here. I'd have preferred a Scottish accent on the guy, or a good Afrikaner accent.

It's like Deus Ex if I had said so, I didn't.

I live in Southern Alberta. There are enough foreigners here for a job that I can think of 5 people I've met in the last year who are from England. Random English accents galore. They want off their cold, expensive, crowded island. Or so they've told me.

True, but surely moving to Canada won't do much about the cold...

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

...and for escaping their mortal enemies, the French.

verbose douchebag
    Whereas I, brave fellow that I am, have actually moved to France.

Quote Originally Posted by nicked View Post
    True, but surely moving to Canada won't do much about the cold...
    Not this fucking year.....

El Shagmeister

I'm currently enjoying the fiiine Vancouver weather.

This got pushed back to 2015 I believe.

El Shagmeister
    Well, shit...

Hopefully it's for the best.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast