TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Dying Light aka Deus Ex Zombie aka Mirror's Edge Zombie

Level 10,000 achieved
    Very few loading points, only when entering some of the bigger buildings.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I'm discovering that the key to having a good time with this game is to ignore the stressful main quests and instead just explore and level up while doing sidemissions.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Here's some bits of gameplay I captured. More actiony stuff at the start and more exploration later on.

It's Dead Island alright, but with a fresh coat of paint and some new features borrowed from other games. The production values are impressive, but it's still a bit wonky in places. A lot of that wonkiness comes from just how open the world is. Even in open world games like Far Cry 4 only certain defined ledges are climbable. In Dying Light there's almost none of that, instead pretty much any surface with right angles can be mantled onto, to a fault. I once mantled onto a potted plant on a windowledge. And then there's small, annoying things, like there are all these challenges, which are really difficult. And every time you loose one you don't get to do it over again right away, first you gotta listen to the challenge giver diss your shitty skills for 10 seconds before you're allowed to hit the Retry button. It's infuriating. Imagine if Super Meat Boy made you wait for 10 seconds before you got to retry a level.

Niggles aside, this is a lovely open world. It's deadly, but full of surprises. Night time is genuinely dangerous. I don't go out at night unless I have a good reason. When night is falling I wrap up what I'm doing and head back to one of the safe areas. Sometimes I do a sweep of the perimeter before turning in for the night. No real reason to do so, but it feels appropriate. Thankfully you can leave your missions half-done and get back to them when you get up bright and early the next morning. Every day is an adventure.

Reading the descriptions and watchin lets plays i REAAALLY wanna get this but... Uugh steam conditioned me to not buy games on release and wait for the eventualy 50-70% discount. Plus theres other cheaper games on my wishlist i could get thru mblah x_x

verbose douchebag
    Exactly my feeling.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Same here. But that first sale for 25-33% will be tempting. I keep trying to remind myself how many other games I have to play atm.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Think I discovered a new way of doing stealth.

I was up on this rooftop, surrounded by badguys, in the middle of the night. Past experience has taught me that trying to sneak up and whack these guys over the head gets loud and messy fast and I don't want them all to come running over, as some of them might have guns. And if there's a Silent Kill move, I have not yet unlocked it. So I got an idea for how to tackle the situation, and I'm kinda amazed it actually worked.

Lol, nice!

Level 10,000 achieved

THE HONEYMOON IS OVER

Last night I sat down with Dying Light and played it for like 15 minutes before I was bored. I've had a fun 19 hours with it till this point, but a little number in the upper corner of the menu informs me that I'm only 37% of the way through the story yet, and all I can think is "THERES 30 OR 40 MORE HOURS OF THIS SHIT?"

I believe the story is about take me to a new area though, plus I just got the grappling hook, so hopefully that'll be the shot in the arm the game needs at this point. Also I should try out that multiplayer, and some co op would be nice, if only I knew anyone on PS4 who has this. Btw folks my PSN is LeeMajorz6k, add me!

Level 10,000 achieved

OH DYING LIGHT I AM SORRY WE QUARRELED PLEASE TAKE ME BACK

I'm back into the swing of it. Story 84% done. Enjoying the new section of the city and the grappling hook. Also I finally unlocked a stealth kill move! The parts where you're fighing human soldiers, using stealth as well as firearms feels much like FC3/4, tho it doesn't quite have the same level of polish, nor fluidity. Certain things about the controls and the movement doesn't quite feel right. I'm 24 hours in, but still not completely comfortable with how weapons and items are selected, and the freedom of movement, while more open than Mirror's Edge or the Far Crys, is not as tight as in those other games. What you can mantle onto can be a bit inconsistent, and using the grappling hook will occasionally send you falling to your death instead of climbing up the edge you were aiming for. Sometimes during missions the grapplinghook will be outright disabled, for reasons which make little sense, or even worse, for no reason at all, except that it'd make the level too easy. Like with most of Techland's games, it's one whose ambition extends beyond it's reach. Still, it can get pretty spectacular when everything is working right.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

^
    From what I've been reading, people are saying that the parkour seems to work a shit load better with KB+M. Don't quote me on that, I haven't played it, just a messenger.

LittleFlower
    I'm having a blast with Dying Light.

Been playing only for a few days. I'm still in the starter area ("The Slums"). The game starts a bit slow, a bit awkward. It takes time to kill simple zombies. It takes time to get familiar with the controls (at least for me). But now things are going. I got the stomp-ability, which allows me to finish regular zombies very efficiently. My weapon-decay has slowed down, so I'm not afraid to burn through weapons too quickly anymore. Money and crafting materials are no problem at all to get. (In the beginning of many games, I'm always very frugal with gold and materials. No reason to do that here). The game is easier that I thought in the beginning. Which is good. I've even done a few missions during the night.

The game looks great ! Best looking game I've played since The Witcher 2 and Skyrim. Runs very smooth, at least for me. i5-3470K + gtx680 + 8GB ram @1080p. Everything maxed out, except DoF disabled. (Edit: oh, and max view distance severly reduced of course. To 15% or so). I installed mods (files) to disable film-grain and chromatic aberration. Because I like a clearer screen, but it also gives a slight fps boost. Inside I'm at 60 fps always. Outside it hovers between 50 and 60 fps. I love the light, the shadows. The world seems pretty big. Attention for details. Movement and controls are very fluent now. (I play with joystick (movement+abilities) and trackball (mouselook)). I love the running and jumping parkour-style. At the start I was a little afraid that the parkour would be like Mirror's Edge. Some moves were hard to pull off with my joystick for movement, so I had to fall back to keyboard. Not with Dying Light. I can do all moves easily. I don't like games being dumbed-down (aka streamlined), but in this case I don't mind.

It's been a long time since I played a shooter. I started with HL1, Unreal, UT, Quake, etc. Since I discovered Morrowind, I prefer fantasy rpg kind of games. Elder Scrolls, WoW, The Witcher, etc. I've played the Crysis games, just to check out the graphics. But when a game was about zombie slaughtering, or had an shooter-mindset, I always skipped it. But I like Dying Light is the exception. I can really recommend it.
    Last edited by Gryzemuis; 10th Feb 2015 at 13:47.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Beat Dying Light yesterday and almost forgot to post my final impressions about it. Probably because I'd already FORGOTTEN ALL ABOUT IT!

j/k

mostly

It's a lovely open world. I've probably said that already, but it's worth stating again. It's dangerous and exciting. The combat is mostly the same as in Dead Island, tho slightly better. Zombies go down faster in this one so it doesn't feel as grindy. That's not to say it's easy, mind you. It can be plenty dangerous if you're not careful, and even by the end when I was super leveled up and weilding the lightning and fire infused SWORD OF GABRIEL I would get my ass handed to me if I got too uppity with the biters. The parkour is occasionally a bit wonky, but still feels better implemented than in any other game. From a mechanical standpoint it's not as good as that in Mirror's Edge, but it feels more natural here. In ME the world is there for you to parkour through, in DL the parkour is there so you can get through the world faster. It's useful.

As for the story and the characters? The game copies plenty from the later Far Crys, but unlike those games this one can't even come up with an interesting villain. The main baddy is just an inconsistent mish mash of traits borrowed from better videogame villains of the past, and his motivations and desires fluctuate wildly depending on what the narrative needs from him at any given moment. The rest of the cast aren't much better. The badguys are all hostile assholes to you whether it's in their own best interest or not, and the good guys are all angelic goody two-shoes types who'll forgive you getting their friends killed because they know you had good intentions in your heart of hearts! It's all so fucking hamfisted. And as for the main character? He... uh... he's a white guy? It's not a silent protagonist, he does speak plenty, but I honestly can't think of a single distinguishing characteristic about him. I can't even remember his name. (Jason Brody? No that's not it.) The story isn't anything that we haven't seen before, and it's rather too intensely paced at too many points I thought. The one good thing I can say about the story tho is that the missions are well integrated into it, and your objectives during the missions pretty much always make sense within the larger context of the story.

It's is pretty forgettable tho. Not anything I'd recommend anyone buy right away, if you haven't already. But when you do pick it up in a sale a few months from now, you'll have a good time.

Here's a few more slices of zombie slapstick, world exploration, and gore:

So how would it rate if I'm only interested in co-op?

Does it not have lean? Or do you just never use it?

Level 10,000 achieved
    Lean? lol, no it doesn't have lean. Ammo is rare and guns are noisy, so you'll use them maybe 2% of the total time spent in the game.

And sadly I haven't played the co-op. Could be good tho!
    Last edited by henke; 12th Feb 2015 at 16:13.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    As for the story and the characters? The game copies plenty from the later Far Crys, but unlike those games this one can't even come up with an interesting villain. The main baddy is just an inconsistent mish mash of traits borrowed from better videogame villains of the past, and his motivations and desires fluctuate wildly depending on what the narrative needs from him at any given moment.
    To be fair it's a rebranded Dead Island sequel. Dead Island is just FPS Diablo. When does anybody play Diablo for the plot?

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yeah the game of another genre that influenced the game that this one is a sorta-sequel to not having a good plot would certainly explain why this one doesn't either. GOOD POINT

PC Gamering Smartey Man

^
    Not sure if sincere or sarcasm.

The main motivator to keep playing Dead Island was GET BETTER LOOT/CRAFT BETTER WEAPONS, because it sure as hell wasn't the generic fetch quests or the shite story. No different than Diablo. It was no secret what Dying Light would be going in even back when it was first announced in 2013.
    Last edited by EvaUnit02; 13th Feb 2015 at 07:07.

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    To be fair it's a rebranded Dead Island sequel. Dead Island is just FPS Diablo. When does anybody play Diablo for the plot?
    It's a failing that is common to the genere, but not inherent. I think that Deathspank proves it's entirely possible to have a clickfest ARPG that succeeds on the strength of its writing.

LittleFlower
    I always wonder, when people think that a game has a "shite story". What do they expect ? Lady Chatterley's Lover in a video-game ? Some Tolstoj ?

Ninety percent of everything is crap. Lots of stuff consists of good parts mixed with a bad part. And still the total sum can be worthwhile.

I just replayed Thief Gold. (I was planning to do that since 2006 or so. Started 2 years ago, finally finished it 2 weeks ago). Thief Gold was a great game. I think everybody here agrees. But now that I played it a 2nd time, I took my time to make sure I would fully understand that story. I watch all the cutscenes 3 or more times. (I think the main problem in 1999 was for me that a key scene (where TT&V reveal themselves) is played only once. If you don't pay attention, you miss it). Does Thief have a great story ? Nah, not really. It's not Tolstoj for sure. But the story worked for me. It gave a reason to string all the missions together. You start as a thief, you steal something from someone who is interested in you, you do a job for that person, etc, etc. The story itself is far from a reason to play the game. But it's good enough.

Same thing with Dying Light. I have zero expectations about the story. I don't care much, and if it happens to be an entertaining story, it'll be a pleasant surprise. As in Thief, the story is a reason to send me on missions. Go here, go there, go fetch me something. What else do you expect ? It's the gameplay that is fun. The scenery. The movement. The awesome graphics. Is the main character a dumb dick ? Sure. But it hardly matters.

So can someone give me some examples of good stories in videogames ? And more than one please. With thousands of videogames out since 1998, there should be more than only a dozen games worth playing.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryzemuis View Post
    Same thing with Dying Light. I have zero expectations about the story.
    Having played their previous games I wasn't expecting much from the story either, and if you read my entire post I think you can see that I enjoyed the game despite the poor story.

So can someone give me some examples of good stories in videogames?
    The Last Of Us, Lost Planet 3, The Fall, The Shivah, The Walking Dead Season 1, Kentucky Route Zero, Portal, Brothers, Deadly Premonition, Valkyria Chronicles, Zeno Clash, to name a few from recent times. Tho some of these get by more on strong characterization than interesting stories, strictly speaking.

And more than one please. With thousands of videogames out since 1998, there should be more than only a dozen games worth playing.
    Who said that only games with good stories are worth playing?

Personally, I'm quite fond of the story in Silent Hill 2. It draws a lot from Jacob's Ladder, yes, but it's still a good story. Obviously the Telltale games, if you're going to call them games at all. Deus Ex is a little B-movie-ish, but the story is a strong part of its appeal. I do wish games would focus a more on having better stories on the whole, though.

Chakat sex pillow
    VtM:B, Fallout 1, Fallout: NV, KotOR 2, Silent Hill 2, The Walking Dead Season 1, Alpha Protocol, Psychonauts, Grim Fandango, whole bunches of IF if that counts (Photopia, Anchorhead, A Mind Forever Voyaging, Portal [1986], Kentucky Route Zero to name a few), PoP: SoT/Homeworld (both are personal favourites for many reasons but your mileage may greatly vary for them, story-wise), and maybe even Planescape: Torment if I manage to get more than 10% of the way through it before it curses my HDD and crashes it along with any savegames for the 5th time in a row.

Spec Ops: The Line probably also gets a look-in for 'good story', though it personally didn't do anything much for me.

And no, none of these are Tolstoy. But then, they never had to be.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 13th Feb 2015 at 15:19.

VtM:B? Interesting! For some reason, despite having played that game multiple times, I can never remember anything about the story.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast