TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dark Souls will remain 'functional' as GFWL prepares to die in July

Dark Souls will remain 'functional' as GFWL prepares to die in July

While it's reassuring to learn that Bandai Namco have plans to address the functionality of DS post death of GFWL, I'm hoping that they port it over to Steamworks so that the online function will remain.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/05/20/da...ame=0&ns_fee=0

I had hoped that maybe it would get Steamworks treatment or maybe even a patch to address the horrible optimization on PC. Pipe dreams. Still glad that they are keeping it going post GFWL.

Mmm… Hrmmmmm…

verbose douchebag

Moderator and Priest
    OOOHHHH MAAAAHHHH GGGAAAWWWDDD! IT HAPPENED! IT FINALLY HAPPENED!

...I gotta earn all those achievements again? Fuck that noise.

Amazing! It looks like they are currently testing a NOG4WL version as reported on inc gamers.

Incidentally, I wonder what will happen to old save games? Around the time that DS2 came out I had just worked out (with a little help) how to access the Artorias of the Abyss DLC. Over the weekend I reached Artorias himself and died on my first attempt. Off topic, sword-fighting actually feels more responsive in DS than in the sequel for some reason.

Official announcement:

Attention Dark Souls fans!

We're pleased to announce that next month it will be possible for players to migrate their Dark Souls: Prepare to Die games, saves and achievements from the Games for Windows Live platform to Steam.

-Games for Windows Live users will be able to redeem their Games for Windows Live Tokens on Steam to get Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition at no additional cost. (To find your Games for Windows Live Token, please head to the support webpage: http://bit.ly/1t6kfvm)

-In the month of November, there will be a period by which Games for Windows Live Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition users will be able to transfer their Save Data (characters + progress) and Achievements over to their Steam accounts.

-Players will still be able to use their Games for Windows Live Tokens to redeem the Steam version of Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition at no additional cost even after the migration period ends; but game Save Data and Achievements transfer functions may not be available.

-Games for Windows Live Rankings will not be transferred to Steam.
    The specific migration start and end dates will be available soon; however the migration period will begin sometime in November 2014 with more specific dates to come.

We will be sharing more information soon regarding the migration process soon, so stay tuned!

Chakat sex pillow
    Thank god. Every time I try to play DS, GfWL logs out automatically after exactly one minute of play, at which point I'm booted back to the menu screen and have to reload the save because the game's now set to offline mode.

Needless to say, I had enough of that shit and stopped my playthrough short. It's about time they stripped the ridiculousness out.

Man I hated it when that happened. Game used to randomly do that to me on my play through of DS 1 a while back.

My main problem with GFWL is that every few weeks or so it wouldn't recognise my password and I would need to reinstall it again before I could go online again.

It's on.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/?appids=211420

...and I did it already. Got the achievements and characters transferred without a hitch. Main menu now has 'Steam' option instead of GFWL, you in-game name is now your Steam name. Dsfix works apart from the fps unlock. Mousefix broke though, so I'll have to wait for an update for that before I can play.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

DSfix 2.3 out now, with working FPS unlock for Steamworks version.
    http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?tag=dsfix

In your respective timezones, are you now seeing many other players online?

verbose douchebag
    How does it work with DSCFix?

That no longer works, however, right now it seems they forgot region locking in. So who you can connect to depends on the download region you set in Steam. The current meta is Finland. So set your steam DL options to Finland to find many people. I guess this can be used to find each other until they fix it. After that, I don't know.

EDIT: Also, mouse fix seems to be working if you disable UI mouse in the settings and also set disable cursor on startup to 1 in dsfix.ini.

EDIT2: Though I can't find anyone no matter what region I set...
    Last edited by Malleus; 16th Dec 2014 at 09:39.

verbose douchebag
    Ah right. That's a shame. I was quite enjoying being able to call on people in here (well, only you so far) for boss help.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    How does it work with DSCFix?
    No, that was specifically designed around GFWL infrastructure. I don't think it's needed anyway, since DSCfix's purpose was to compensate for GFWL's rubbishness.

verbose douchebag
    Makes sense. Hopefully Steamworks will allow easy summoning of Steam friends.

Moderator and Priest
    If any of you want to play, hit me up. I opted into the beta, and am now playing DS Live free!

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Have they fixed the region-locked MP of the Steamworks version yet?

Not yet, but they acknowledged the problem, FWIW.
    https://twitter.com/JKartje/status/545356163051573248

Dark Souls steamworks version has been updated. Modders confirm* that region locking is gone.

*because as usual, From doesn't tell us shit.

VICTORY ACHIEVED!

Somehow, beating GFWL seems like a bigger accomplishment than beating Dark Souls.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

FYI You need to update to DSfix 2.4 and latest PvP Watchdog.
    http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=684
    http://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls/mods/849/