TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Prepare To KIDNEY PIE!

Looks like I might have to get me a playstation 4 after all.

From a reddit post I came across:

"The new, more offensive combat actually goes much deeper, by way of our brand new Regain System, which rewards players for taking more risks and being more decisive and strategic. The Regain System allows players to recover health lost after taking damage by striking back at enemies within a short time period with a bladed weapon. Basically, The Regain system allows players a way to channel that negative energy they feel from taking a hit, and direct it back at the enemy to get revenge and steal back the health they lost."
    The link to the blog post has been removed unfortunately but it sounds like this mechanic may compensate the lack of shields.

verbose douchebag
    Cor blimey guvna, strike a light!

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinrazero View Post
    The link to the blog post has been removed unfortunately but it sounds like this mechanic may compensate the lack of shields.
    One of the more interesting things I've read about thus far is how you can reconfigure your weapons into different shapes on the fly to chain them into different attack styles. It seems Bloodborne is going to be much faster paced and frantic compared to the more deliberate Dark Souls.

And the most interesting thing? The apparent heavy emphasis on exploration. DS had it, of course, but this game seems to be going out of its way to make a special point of it.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I like the slow, heavy feel of combat in the Souls games, so, eh... not loving the direction they're moving in here, combat wise.

More exploration is always a good thing though. I hope that means more verticality as well. Wouldn't mind being able to mantle up ledges.

Moderator and Priest
    If it's done just as well, and offers up just as tense and strategic of an experience, I can live with it. The Souls series is now three games old, I think it's time they shook the formula up a bit.

And yeah, those environments are screaming for some mantling action.

verbose douchebag
    I'm still waiting for a game which is a progression from Blade of Darkness. Dark Souls is as close as anything has come to date (if you ignore DbtS, which was roughly contemporary with BoD), but I wish for something which has the atmosphere, dread and style of Dark Souls, but with button combo special moves like BoD and dismemberment like BoD. The latter not being for some generic love of gore, more that it boosted the triumphant feel of some victories when it happened and really hit you in the pit of the stomach when it was your own parts being removed - massively heightened the range of emotions while playing.

Level 10,000 achieved
    A bit of leaked gameplay footage from the Gamescom demo.

Here's another short and weirdly cropped clip in which the player picks up 3 Molotov Cocktails.

Here's nearly 7 minutes of in game footage from Gamescom with no commentary. Curious as to what blood vials are for as the player seems to heal with strikes. Perhaps it is used to stave of some sort of infection, serving the function of humanity/human effigy? Visually, the environments are richly detailed. Looks like some sort of massive spider clinging to a building at the 5 minute mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    One of the more interesting things I've read about thus far is how you can reconfigure your weapons into different shapes on the fly to chain them into different attack styles. It seems Bloodborne is going to be much faster paced and frantic compared to the more deliberate Dark Souls.

And the most interesting thing? The apparent heavy emphasis on exploration. DS had it, of course, but this game seems to be going out of its way to make a special point of it.
    This trailer shows off more of the interesting weapon mechanics, notably the ax which seems to extend on what looks like a strong attack. Parry and backstabs look brutal. The player seems more speedy too, especially with his sidesteps that are nearly a half turn around the enemy. I can't wait to explore this game thoroughly.
    Last edited by Shinrazero; 19th Aug 2014 at 14:35.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Welp, that looks freaking amazing. Not sure what else to say.

Seems the gun doesn't do much damage. Might be good for staggering enemies though.

Moderator and Priest
    Yup. All I can say is WANT NAO!

The gun seems to be there to do all the auxillery functions of the shield without actually having the shield in there. It's all about stuns and parries, without being able to block. Though I gotta say, a DS style game without any real form of blocking, and the only way you're able to regain health is through attacking...it's gonna be interesting.

verbose douchebag
    That looks amazing. Like Dark Souls but shaken up a bit. Do want.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    and the only way you're able to regain health is through attacking...
    Oh is that so?

And is the playable character seen in the videos the playable character, or can you still customize heavily?

I worry that there'll be a whole lot less freedom of choosing your own playstyle in this one.

It looks beautiful and very next-gen in terms of the detail rendered and effects (just look at the moving fur on that Cleric Beast!). The familiar gameplay bought a smile to my face, seeing him dodge and roll out of the way as we have all done on the previous soul's games, but I'm hoping that they introduce a lot more to the gameplay than just a pistol and more reactive enemies.

Seeing the brief co-op section, I wonder how it will work in this, and if there will be PvP and if co-op is restricted to the area in which the other player is initially "summoned."

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Oh is that so?

And is the playable character seen in the videos the playable character, or can you still customize heavily?

I worry that there'll be a whole lot less freedom of choosing your own playstyle in this one.
    I think so. I think I remember reading something or other about that. The guy was collecting blood vials throughout the demo, which was collecting there at the top left, where humanity/convenant usually goes. Maybe you heal with those, or maybe the amount determines how much energy you'll get back per attack.

Oh, and I doubt they'll nix collecting all the weapons and armor. This guy we're seeing is decked out in the "official" armor set of the game. Like the Elite Knight set was for DS, and the Faraam set was for DS2. If you look carefully, the guy playing the demo uses an axe for a bit instead of the convertable scythe. So I think you'll still be able to customize your character just as deeply as before, they're just not showing that part off yet.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yeah, I hope you're right about that. Makes sense that they'd stay with one character in all the previews and demos to foster an image and give people something recognizable to latch on to.

verbose douchebag
    So does the gun trigger a parry-esque vulnerability window? Looks very much like you if you shoot at the right moment, it staggers them.

There also appears to be some sort of timed press on attacks, like charging up the swing.

Images from the japanese site

Last edited by Shinrazero; 22nd Aug 2014 at 00:29.

Moderator and Priest
    The Japanese will have their kidney pie and eat it too on Feburary 5th. We'll probably get it sometime shortly thereafter.

START SAVING YOUR PENNIES FOR A PEE ESS FORE, FOLKS!

Level 10,000 achieved
    February is earlier than I would've thought! Figured it'd be coming out next summer, for some reason.

I already have a PEE ESS FORE so I can spend my pennies on extra donuts!

verbose douchebag
    If I were to buy one of these "pièce fort" things, would I technically be able to play Demon's Souls on it? Same question for other previous franchises of note (ICO, SoTC / MGS 1 through n etc..).

Moderator and Priest
    You just think you're cool, Henke.

Faetal, you won't be able to play any PS3 games, nor any PS2 games that have been ported up. But the PS4 is backwards compatible with PS1 and regular PS2 games.

So unless Sony and/or From decide to port Demon's Souls to the PS4 (which isn't entirely beyond the realm of possibility), the PS3 is still only place to play it.

verbose douchebag
    So I should get a PS3 then. By the time I'm done with DeS & any other notable titles, the PS4 should have come down in price.
    Then I can gaffer tape them together, like Ripley.

Level 10,000 achieved
    You might be able to play it on PS4 once Sony gets that PS Now streaming thing up and running. No idea how well it'll work but according to the video it'll make blue lasers shoot out of your PS4 and make you so deliriously happy you'll be laughing to yourself and fist pumping the air constantly while using it.