TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NEW - TDM FM: Penny Dreadful 2: All the Way Up (2014/07/8)

Classical Master 2008

NEW - TDM FM: Penny Dreadful 2: All the Way Up (2014/07/8)

Penny Dreadful is a fan mission series dealing with the exploits and misfortunes of Gerald Foxley, lowlife and common opportunist. To stick with the theme of lurid and disreputable pulp literature, these missions are planned to be nasty, brutish and short (more or less). They also allow me to experiment with gameplay ideas which do not fit TDM standards.

In the first episode, The Grail of Regrets, what started out as a routine case of extortion ended with Gerald in the possession of the eponymous Grail. In the second, we will quickly learn that his newfound fortunes would be even shorter than anticipated...

All the Way Up

"Some say sudden wealth is a blessing, but those people are suckers. Me, I am the more careful kind. So when it turned out The Grail of Regrets, this sinister relic I dug up from a long-forgotten undercellar, brought in an unexpected number of the rich and influential, I knew my only course of action was to sell, and do it quickly.

My best offer came from Archibald Flint, the boss of Fiddler's Hill and its merry men: one of the bigger names in the business, and as they say, the occult. Not that I would say no: if a man like him wants something, an independent can only hold out so long as he has contacts left - or fingers. Trouble is, someone else also wanted to do him a favour...

On my way to Fiddler's Hill, I took a shortcut through Willett's Bridge, an antique thoroughfare bypassing some of the slums I wanted to avoid. The place enjoys a bad reputation - high tolls, confiscated cargo, and a series of gruesome accidents. Not the best place to be seen carrying a precious relic, but when you are in a hurry it is easy to make mistakes.

The ramshackle mansion above belongs to a man named Messer Montrose, a factor who lords over the place with a group of thugs, and whose contacts with the Bailiff of the nearby jail has made him above the law. His men were waiting for me high above the city, and after a savage beating, threw me over the bridge down into the muddy streets. And so..."

Download links:
    MEGA (102 MB) (**updated**)
    MEGA, alternate (102 MB) (**updated**)
    Taffer's Paradise (102 MB) (**updated**) -- thanks, Lord Soth!
    ...and the in-game downloader!

***Performance warning***:due to its construction, this mission's hardware requirements exceed the TDM baseline. The mission has been tested on a variety of configurations, and generally produces acceptable frame rates on contemporary or slightly out of date hardware. Some older PCs may experience significant slowdowns in the open areas, which may render the mission unplayable for some people. I offer my apologies for this inconvenience -- optimalisation should be credited to Bikerdude, while the remaining problems are all mine. You will need TDM 2.02 to play this mission.

Notes:
    • There are multiple ways to accomplish your objectives, and even more to explore the mission - although some are less obvious than others.
    • There are no lockpicks in this mission, as Foxley can't use them; also, he is no master thief when it comes to stealth - be careful! Brute force, if necessary, is legitimate.
    • You can find my concept art in the PK4 file. These images obviously contain heavy spoilers.
    • This mission series predates, and is thus unrelated to the Penny Dreadful TV series.

Special thanks: to my testers; Airship Ballet, AluminumHaste, Lux, Obsttorte, Premier, Skacky and Xarg for detailed and thorough feedback, which has been invaluable. Springheel for the custom GUI and loading screen, RJFerret for help with objectives, Goldchocobo & Co. for voice acting, Grayman for gib generation and, last but not least, the Canon Texture Project for various canonical textures.
    Last edited by Melan; 14th Jul 2014 at 10:11. Reason: Added 'NEW'

bikerdude
    And you get you in the mood while your waiting for the mission to download -

Thanks a lot

Congrats for the release! Just updating my DarkMod to be ready

Congratulations on the release - really looking forward to playing.

Congrats! Will play it this weekend Looks mighty great.

Congrats on the release!
    You're in for a treat, this is the best TDM mission to date and it feels just like The Dark Project!

This mission is one of the best! Very fun to explore and amazing. Really shows off the true potential of TDM

Awesome!! Will play it after download!

I'm stuck. After I get the jail key, I need rope arrows to get back to the other side of town where the jail is, but I can't find any anywhere. Also, where do I find lockpicks?

Classical Master 2008
    Azaran: You don't actually need either of those (and you won't find any in the mission)..

Great mission. Got the bookstore key but can't find the bookstore. Just found a hatch in a library room but it doesn't work there.

Good mission. Finished now! But not found where to use booksellers key...

Yes, thanks to both the authors. This mission kept giving and giving in terms of places to explore. It took me a while to figure out how to get into the room where the bookseller's key is to be found, but I too haven't found a use for that key.

bikerdude
    there is a shop next to the booksellers, once you have that key you need to find another key (hint, think shop near city-gate) that opens something in the bookshop.... but be careful when you discover what it is..
    Last edited by bikerdude; 11th Jul 2014 at 08:33.

found the skeleton key and the keeper crypt but no key for bookseller hatch

bikerdude
    Quote Originally Posted by Kin View Post
    found the skeleton key and the keeper crypt but no key for bookseller hatch
    Think vertically, there is an area accessible below the bridge but above the start location, If you cant find the key I will give you another hint.

Cannot Play Game

Upgraded DM to 2.02 - used in game fm loader. Game loads intro screens and game load screen but fails there with error message:

malloc failure for 134217736

(I copied the whole error message)

Running under Windows XP on twin core AMD machine.

Any ideas what's wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by bikerdude View Post
    Think vertically, there is an area accessible below the bridge but above the start location, If you cant find the key I will give you another hint.
    found the key (it was tricky) and entered the hatch but the only thing found was a live mine inside

Quote Originally Posted by Melan View Post
    Azaran: You don't actually need either of those (and you won't find any in the mission)..
    Thanks, I didn't see that climbable moss near the roof at first....

bikerdude
    Quote Originally Posted by Draigcoch View Post
    malloc failure for 134217736, Any ideas what's wrong?
    How much ram do you have..?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kin View Post
    entered the hatch but the only thing found was
    Er if you spotted that then how could you have missing the big bag of loot worth 150 gold!

Finished! What an amazing ride but i only got a bit more than half of the loot. And i thought i went everywhere
    I guess i forgot you never really find everything when you play Melan's missions That's what i love about them.

I'll get back in the game to search some more. Should be fun

A keeper crypt? Oh dear, I obviously haven't finished. Any hints please?

I'm stuck in the building with the bailiff; where do I find the key to this door?

Quote Originally Posted by Marbrien View Post
    A keeper crypt? Oh dear, I obviously haven't finished. Any hints please?
    search the key store (the one with a key sign) for hiden switch. You will find it jumping over a locked fence like door
    Last edited by Kin; 13th Jul 2014 at 10:06.