TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
Results 201 to 225 of 229

Thread: Thief 2 HD Texture Mod

  1. #201
    Member
    Registered: Nov 2004
    Location: Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    The first time I saw the animated grass I assumed Gecko was doing something clever with tweqs and submodels. I should have known better.
    You will never be able to have such a diversity of overgrown vegetation if you work with tweqs and submodels....

    Dale's grass object makes it possible!

  2. #202
    Member
    Registered: Nov 2004
    Location: Germany
    Here is a new wind simulated grass type. In the first seconds you can see low grass and after that a higher grass version.


  3. #203
    Member
    Registered: Apr 2007
    I'm only guessing here, but I think the HD mod doesn't fully work with the patchedmis files from Tafferpatcher. The only change I've noticed so far is the guards in the first mission don't run through their usual torch dialogue when you put it out.

    I noticed and remember hearing Lady Lilia mention in her T2 playthrough that there were some errors with the subtitles. I have an old version I found here somewhere I've been using. I *think* I fixed most, if not all of them if you want to use it. https://www.mediafire.com/?dg0g6fgg69pd0m8

    July/12/2017 Edit
    The subtitles file has been updated with additional fixes.
    Last edited by Corsair; 12th Jul 2017 at 03:23.
    Windows 10 Pro, i7-4790K, GTX 1070 x2, Maximus Hero Vii, 32gb DDR3 2400.
    https://pcpartpicker.com/b/z7ccCJ

  4. #204
    Desperately dodgy geezer
    Registered: Nov 2001
    Location: The Wailing Keep
    I wouldn't think the HD Mod would have any effect on guard conversations or subtitles. It's just replacing objects and textures.

  5. #205
    Zombified
    Registered: Sep 2004
    hdmod uses its own maps afaik, making anything in patchedmis irrelevant.

  6. #206
    Desperately dodgy geezer
    Registered: Nov 2001
    Location: The Wailing Keep
    Oh, well color me uninformed then. Seems a shame that the mods and patches can't all use the same latest fixed versions.

  7. #207
    Zombified
    Registered: Sep 2004
    keeping all the bits compatible is possible, but more difficult, and there are limits to what you can do - that's why TFix + EP2 or NecroAge will (arguably) never look as hd as hdmod, for example. that's the price that needs to be paid for being able to swap things on the fly, use any mod combo desired, being compatible with any ms OS since win95, ability to run oldDark and NewDark from the same install and all the other weird things I crammed into the patcher.

    grabbing all the resources and modifying them will allow you to do absolutely anything, but you won't be compatible with other stuff, as your resources will override everything. one exception are pure dml mods, which should work unless obj ids are changed.

  8. #208
    Member
    Registered: Nov 2004
    Location: Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by Corsair View Post
    I'm only guessing here, but I think the HD mod doesn't fully work with the patchedmis files from Tafferpatcher. The only change I've noticed so far is the guards in the first mission don't run through their usual torch dialogue when you put it out.
    This is old...read this quotes:

    Quote Originally Posted by bassoferrol View Post
    In Running Interference... in the basement, after putting out the torch where two guards are stationed (man and woman) you should hear from her: damn torches, always sputtering out!

    That piece of conversation won't trigger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko View Post
    That's correct! Thx. I've replaced this torch to get the improved fire flames. It will be fixed in the next version.
    I've fixed this a long time ago. Version 1.0 doesn't have this issue any more....


    Quote Originally Posted by Corsair View Post
    I noticed and remember hearing Lady Lilia mention in her T2 playthrough that there were some errors with the subtitles. I have an old version I found here somewhere I've been using. I *think* I fixed most, if not all of them if you want to use it. https://www.mediafire.com/?dg0g6fgg69pd0m8
    I've fixed all errors in the subtitles i could find! And Lady Lilia knows that it could be possible that there are still some errors because i said it to her.

    Thank you for uploading this. I will check it
    Last edited by Gecko; 13th Jun 2017 at 04:38.

  9. #209
    Member
    Registered: Jul 2006
    Location: Tartu, Estonia
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko View Post
    Here is a new wind simulated grass type. In the first seconds you can see low grass and after that a higher grass version.
    I think the trees look very authentic now, but for the grass the movement needs to be minimal, very subtle for it to work. If you could make that happen, would be perfect And again, thank you for making this happen!

  10. #210
    Member
    Registered: Nov 2004
    Location: Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by zil View Post
    I think the trees look very authentic now, but for the grass the movement needs to be minimal, very subtle for it to work. If you could make that happen, would be perfect And again, thank you for making this happen!

    PS. If you have a PayPal account, give me your credentials so I can send you some money for a beer!
    Thank you for your feedback. As i said before - i will do my best do get the best grass animation for Thief.

  11. #211
    Member
    Registered: Dec 2015
    Location: Germany
    My question seems a bit stupid, but are there already HD textures or better models for the bots? Sadly, even the Enhancement Pack ignored the robots, it is still the old texture and the old mesh...

  12. #212
    Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    Registered: Apr 2015
    I want better textures for Lilmotha and Bigmotha. They're outdated

  13. #213
    Quote Originally Posted by zil View Post
    I think the trees look very authentic now, but for the grass the movement needs to be minimal, very subtle for it to work.
    Yes, I just watched the video, and it's a neat feature for sure, but the massed dancing of the grass fields was freaky. Definitely tone that way down. (Probably below the point where you're disappointed that it's not more obvious, because it probably shouldn't be very obvious.)

  14. #214
    Member
    Registered: Nov 2004
    Location: Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by Thinking Robot View Post
    My question seems a bit stupid, but are there already HD textures or better models for the bots? Sadly, even the Enhancement Pack ignored the robots, it is still the old texture and the old mesh...
    Better textures for robots will be included in T2 HD mod v1.0!


    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Yes, I just watched the video, and it's a neat feature for sure, but the massed dancing of the grass fields was freaky. Definitely tone that way down. (Probably below the point where you're disappointed that it's not more obvious, because it probably shouldn't be very obvious.)
    Let me explain you something. It is possible to make a slower grass animation. But don't forget -> you can't use more than 99 different frames! So the variety of the grass animation is better if it isn't moving too slow. The grass animation from the last demo video takes 191 MB memory in your thief.exe (texture resolution is 4096 x 512) and 170 MB on your hard disk (DDS format)! And now the question if it's profitable to use a extreme slow grass animation -> at this memory load...

    I'm thinking about to buy a plugin for 3DS max what is really powerful to make wind animated vegetation. But it's really costly! Normal price is 325 $ = 346,34 €. At the end of the year there is a black friday offer with 50 %. Maybe i will buy it there!
    Last edited by Gecko; 20th Jun 2017 at 06:47.

  15. #215
    Not that I know much about animation in Thief 2 in particular, but from my technical knowledge on how stuff works in other games and editors, this is super resource-heavy and probably not worth it in the long run. Normally such waving would be faked in the material or by proper mesh animation. And even in this day and age, 4K texture for grass feels like an overkill. Even a 2k texture would.

  16. #216
    Member
    Registered: Nov 2004
    Location: Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    Not that I know much about animation in Thief 2 in particular, but from my technical knowledge on how stuff works in other games and editors, this is super resource-heavy and probably not worth it in the long run. Normally such waving would be faked in the material or by proper mesh animation. And even in this day and age, 4K texture for grass feels like an overkill. Even a 2k texture would.
    ->

    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko View Post
    You will never be able to have such a diversity of overgrown vegetation if you work with tweqs and submodels....
    Also the animation of the grass would look like this fluttering flags here:


  17. #217
    Yeah, it looks like it has 2-3 frames at best. But wouldn't it be more viable to assume the animation loop of one second, and use 30 to 60 frames (most players have 60 Hz monitors anyway)?

    Also, even with higher scale-down factor, 4K textures suppose to cover a lot of space. 4096 x 4096 texture would probably use the scale of .125, so it's scaled down 8 times and covers a surface of 512 x 512 units (that's Unreal/Doom units, for Dromed you have to divide that by 12 or 16, IIRC). This is really sharp already, most games up to the present console generation used the scale of .25. If you use textures that big that for small pieces of grass, much of the quality gets lost both because of the screen resolution (I assume most people don't use 1440p yet, not to mention 2160p) and agressive mip-mapping/aniso filtering of the engine, so for most of the time that quality isn't even visible until you really stick your nose into that surface.

  18. #218
    New Member
    Registered: Apr 2016
    This is great and all but Thief 2 HD hasn't been updated for almost 3 years now. What's the hold up? Plus, the Gold version still has the issues of having too much gameplay and map changes that aren't optional when they really should be.

  19. #219
    Member
    Registered: Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmTheWalrus View Post
    This is great and all but Thief 2 HD hasn't been updated for almost 3 years now. What's the hold up?
    Gecko is the George R R Martin of modders

    On a serious note though, since beta testing was started before Christmas you'd have thought a ver 1.0 release would have been ready. If all the static textures at least are done, I am sure most would be happy to have that and wait for a version 1.2 for any special effects that are being worked on. I'm sure it will all be great in the end though.

  20. #220
    New Member
    Registered: Dec 2005
    Is this HDTextures installation adds that "tips" at the top of the screen like "USE DOOR TO OPEN / OPEN = Enter", or its added by other mod?
    If yes, how to turn it off?
    Thanks.

  21. #221
    Desperately dodgy geezer
    Registered: Nov 2001
    Location: The Wailing Keep
    Those hints are in the original game. They are only in the first mission and only if you play on Normal. Solution is to play it on a different difficulty.

  22. #222
    Member
    Registered: Jan 2001
    Location: Formby, NW England
    The hints are also on the next two levels, also limited to the lower difficulties.

  23. #223
    Desperately dodgy geezer
    Registered: Nov 2001
    Location: The Wailing Keep
    Ah, I forgot about that. Thanks for the addendum.

  24. #224
    New Member
    Registered: Dec 2005
    Oh, thanks all.
    There was a long time i played T2 from begining, so its suprised me .

  25. #225
    Member
    Registered: Jul 2006
    Location: Tartu, Estonia
    Any updates on the moving trees/grass or anything else?

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •