TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: T2 FM: Death's Turbid Veil (2nd September 2014)

pwl, I'm guessing that you still need to go look for the missing item. Come back later.

@pwl. The key to the bowl thing will come later, some time after you find the treasure.

Quote Originally Posted by smithpd View Post
    @pwl. The key to the bowl thing will come later, some time after you find the treasure.

Thanks for the info!! I thought I was stuck down there because it was difficult to find a place where he would climb up by the rope

Clearinghouse
    Congrats on the release, nicked!

Question.

Not a fan of near complete darkness. I re-lit the map to 15,15,15 ambient light but it made no difference that I could tell. What's going on?

Quote Originally Posted by Tannar View Post
    When you download version 1.22, the ZIP archive you are downloading has several smaller ZIP archives inside it. It is not necessary to put everything from the original download into your Thief 2 folder. The only two ZIP archives that need to be extracted into the Thief 2 folder are "new_dark.zip" and "contrib.zip". It sounds like you extracted the original ZIP archive into your T2 folder but not the needed ones. They should now be sitting in your T2 folder as ZIP files. You will still need to extract them there.
    That did it. Thank you. Yippee...

Quote Originally Posted by SlyFoxx View Post
    Not a fan of near complete darkness. I re-lit the map to 15,15,15 ambient light but it made no difference that I could tell. What's going on?
    I had the same initial reaction but it was a design choice on Nick's part and it really does work well in this mission if you give it a chance. You have a lantern in your inventory that will alleviate that darkness.

Quote Originally Posted by bedwine View Post
    That did it. Thank you. Yippee...
    Glad it worked.

This mission won't play for me. It loads up fine and then puts me at the start of the mission and then lags so bad that its unplayable. Its a graphics bug I'm sure. I have latest new dark and use the fan mission loader that comes with it so its not an exe problem. I have I5 quad core 4gig ram and hd card. Yes its a laptop but this is the first mission that I have had trouble with. All others load fine. Any help appreciated!

I hate to say it but it's probably just your rig. I tested the mission with a laptop which is an i7 quad with 8 gigs ram and it was very laggy for me too. Borderline unplayable. I'm sure it's the laptop's integrated graphics that is to blame. But I found that the lag was only really bad when outside or in the tower rooms looking out. When I got that kind of lag I just looked at the ground and I was able to move pretty well. And most of the mission doesn't take place outside so if you can get through that part you might be OK.

Sly - relighting the mission with standard settings probably won't have any effect because I've used different ambient settings for different zones. The gameplay is designed that some areas require use of the lantern, but if you really want to change the lighting, you'll need to edit the Ambient Light Zones under Mission Parameters > Rendering Parameters.

Am I right in thinking everyone crashing is alright now they've made sure they've upgraded to 1.22 correctly? If anyone's still having crashes, and confirmed the exe they're running is 1.22, please let me know.

Stingm - sounds like the lag will be down to integrated graphics on the laptop? The amount of object polys and draw distance in the outdoor areas will be a real strain without a decent graphics card. If you can get into the house does it improve?

Brethren - Thanks for the mirror; added to the first post! To answer your question, yes, 150Mb is on the extreme high end for a .mis file. It's due to using 32x lighting combined with over 200 anim lights. If I use 16x lighting, the size drops to 88Mb (but it doesn't look as purty!). The file size is why it requires 1.22 as it just insta-crashes at that size in 1.21.

Lord Soth - Thanks for the mirror! Added to the initial post.

My crashing was fixed by upgrading from v1.21 to v1.22. Now run the FM with no problems.

Well, the framerate is a bit choppy outside (as you mentioned), but I am running about 6 other applications at the same time.

Looking forward to playing this; the graphics are stunning already!

Congrats on the release!

@stingm,

FYI, I have a core I7, 16 GB memory, and a GeForce GTX 760 grahics card with 2 GB memory, and a dedicated sound card. It runs very smoothly at 35-60 FPS. I agree with Tannar that your problem is probably integrated graphics in your laptop. There are other possibilities. Integrated graphics may use some of your system memory as graphics memory. Some laptops do not have hardware sound acceleration, so that's another task for the CPU and memory. Finally, this mission uses a lot of system memory, 915 MB for T2 alone in my case. 4 GB is marginal for Windows 7. Check your memory usage with Task Manager to make sure you are not using virtual memory.

Anyway, I do not think it is a graphics bug.
    Last edited by smithpd; 3rd Sep 2014 at 04:04.

Quote Originally Posted by smithpd View Post
    I am using Windows 7 too, but I have a classic start menu and classic desktop theme. I don't know whether or not the display of my task bar differs from yours. If you can't see it on the task bar, you should be able to see it in the Task Manager. You can start the Task Manager via CTRL-ALT-DEL or right clicking on the task bar and then selecting Start Task Manager.

EDIT: another thing: you can see the name by hovering your mouse over the Thief2 icon. I set taskbar buttons to Never Combine under task bar properties. This displays the name of the task without hovering the mouse over the icon.
    ok i had replaced the old thief 2 icons with the ones that come with new dark.1.22 and this times the missions loads. Wow. It feel like i´m playing assassin´s creed again Monteriggioni

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    Awesome, congrats on the release nicked. Mirror on the way, just waiting for the upload to finish.

I noticed the .mis file is 150 MB...is that normal, even in the age of New Dark? Seems huge to me. I have no idea what makes a .mis file large or small, especially considering it doesn't contain any actual assets. Is it just based on the number of objects or brushes or something similar?
    I think the scale of lightmap has a great influence over the size of the file .mis

Great. Downloading right now

First of all, I also had the "crash" problem and upgraded to 1.22 by unzipping the two folders contrib and new_dark from the v1.22 zip file into Thief and that fixed it. (I'm still running Win XP so the task bar nicely told me I was running 1.21.)

Secondly, I need a hint.

I've been into the murder room and found a key to the library but can't find a place to use it.
    There's two places I can't currently go on the map:

Northeast corner of the map, a separate building that screams "mausoleum" or "crypts" to me.
    Northwest corner of second floor of the main house, from the staircase up from first floor, go north outside onto a patio/deck, door just north of there can't be entered.

I have the front door key, library key, patio key, and lockpicks.

Help!

- prjames

Awesome FM! Thanks!!

prjames - the room accessible from the north-east balcony is the library. Have you been in there?

Help.

Gone through the vault into the mine. Found the ore and logbook. Where is the mine key so I can get out?

Quote Originally Posted by nicked View Post
    prjames - the room accessible from the north-east balcony is the library. Have you been in there?
    Whoops - missed it. Thanks! - prjames

That's not how you get out, Sly. Take the elevator to the bottom and explore.

how do i do gemstone code the paper pattern is not right,do i use all gemstones?
    Last edited by downwinder; 3rd Sep 2014 at 13:17.

Humm...I went down there but couldn't seem to progress very far. I'll go have another look.

Thanks.

EDIT:

OK found the girl and went down the hole into a pool of water. I can't get out of the water. Can't mantle onto the barrels and if I try and swim under them they're blocking my way to the surface. Garrett's huffing and puffing try to mantle but no joy. He even said now how am I going to get out of here. What's the trick here?
    Last edited by SlyFoxx; 3rd Sep 2014 at 13:11.

Congrats on the release!

20 fps and less at open area ( my card 460 GTX ), unplayable for me. What card is needed to have 60fps ?

Edit : Nevermind, no chance to have solid 60 ( lags even with 760 GTX ). From some time many Fm have horrible spec requirements.
    Last edited by Kurhhan; 3rd Sep 2014 at 13:31.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast