TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: T2 FM: Death's Turbid Veil (2nd September 2014)

@ Sly - have you got new mantle enabled? That bit wasn't mentioned by anyone as being a problem.

Edit. I've just looked at my 1.22 and new_mantle is not enabled by default so if you've updated then yours might need changing.

so what clue am i missing,for the gem vaultcode,i got the paint smear paper and tryed the combo ,no good,so what am i missing?

And she can spell too!

Thanks...that's probably it. Nicked you might want to add that little tidbit of info to the read me and the first post.

Interesting about new_mantle being off by default in 1.22. I recall that new_mantle was on by default in 1.21 when installing through Tafferpatcher. NewDark 1.22 instructions say to make a backup of cam_ext.cfg and two other configuration files, but they neglected to say what to do with the backup files. Evidently the 1.22 installations should read, "Copy the backup files into your installation directory to overwrite the default installation files." That is what I did, so luckily I did not have the new_mantle issue.

This point about overwriting should definitely be made in the readme and the first post, with particular attention to new_mantle.

Quote Originally Posted by nickie View Post
    @ Sly - have you got new mantle enabled? That bit wasn't mentioned by anyone as being a problem.

Edit. I've just looked at my 1.22 and new_mantle is not enabled by default so if you've updated then yours might need changing.
    I had SlyFoxx's problem and it was fixed by enabling new_mantle. Edit cam_ext.cfg in your main Thief2 directory and remove the semicolon in front of new_mantle.

- prjames

Update: I've now completed the mission. Very impressive mission!
    Last edited by prjames; 3rd Sep 2014 at 16:35.

Thanks for clarifying the instructions, prjames.

I've added a big note to the first post. I confess I'd forgotten about new_mantle existing so never thought to check it.

downwinder: the piece of paper with paint smears on should be what you need to open the vault. You need to have white, blue, purple, orange and green turned on, and all the others turned off, then the vault will open. The order doesn't matter as long as the correct ones are all on and the others all off.

Where is
    spoiler:
    the wine or berries I need for the magic circle? Found everything else really early on.

Quote Originally Posted by prjames View Post
    I had SlyFoxx's problem and it was fixed by enabling new_mantle. Edit cam_ext.cfg in your main Thief2 directory and remove the semicolon in front of new_mantle.

- prjames

Update: I've now completed the mission. Very impressive mission!
    Yea weird it was off by default. Just turned it on. I also just used a rope arrow for Sly's problem. 1 thing i cant find is the crown.

DUH...nevermind i found it.
    Last edited by ciscokidd73; 3rd Sep 2014 at 17:12.

Where is the vault ?

im in master bedroom and find the ladder but where is the vault ? I have the paper with paint .

Thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by downwinder View Post
    so what clue am i missing,for the gem vaultcode,i got the paint smear paper and tryed the combo ,no good,so what am i missing?
    There are two similar green-ish gems and two similar orange-ish gems. You probably have at least one of those wrong. Just try the others.

Quote Originally Posted by SlyFoxx View Post
    Where is
    spoiler:
    the wine or berries I need for the magic circle? Found everything else really early on.
    In the attic room which has no guard (not the lofts over the bedroom and library), on one of the windowsills.

Quote Originally Posted by carlos schmidt View Post
    im in master bedroom and find the ladder but where is the vault ? I have the paper with paint
    If you found that ladder then just climb up into the loft and take a look at the chimney.

personally i am sick to death of authors pushing Thief to furthest limits....it seems to be that almost every time a new mission is released nowadays you first have to install yet another patch, extract it, with this FM extract the extracted patch, go to properties to check which version the patch is running on and if you are computer literate enough and get it to work, which i haven't, you may be lucky to find the game is running very slowly which is one of the most annoying itself aspects of game playing in the first place

firstly most people DO NOT have the latest i7 triple quad processor 5000000 RAM/GIG all whistle and bells computers that need a nuclear power station in your back garden to run

2ndly a huge number of dedicated Thief fans went to school when the most up to date computing tools were protractors and slide rules and we used to calculate complex mathematical problems with logarithms and long division......on paper

3rdly if you have spend 3 to 6 months building a mission, it would be very much appreciated if you could spend 10 mins writing a simple step by step guide/instruction as to how the hell to get your mission to work, a link to another thread, written by someone who assumes everyone knows as much about computers as you do im afraid is no good

i have tried 3 time to install the patch, uninstalled thief, re-installed thief, tried again, extracted, extracted the hidden zip files, read and re-read this thread 5 times, don't understand 'hover' your cursor over short cut....that does not do anything....gone to task manager but can't find any reference to which version 1.21 or 1.22....spent 4-5 hours messing about .....and all i want to do is PLAY THIS FRIGGING MISSION

if anyone can help i would be very grateful, clear very precise step by step instructions are required....PLEASE

Thank you in advance

Quote Originally Posted by fortuni View Post
    personally i am sick to death of authors pushing Thief to furthest limits....it seems to be that almost every time a new mission is released nowadays you first have to install yet another patch, extract it, with this FM extract the extracted patch, go to properties to check which version the patch is running on and if you are computer literate enough and get it to work, which i haven't, you may be lucky to find the game is running very slowly which is one of the most annoying itself aspects of game playing in the first place

firstly most people DO NOT have the latest i7 triple quad processor 5000000 RAM/GIG all whistle and bells computers that need a nuclear power station in your back garden to run

2ndly a huge number of dedicated Thief fans went to school when the most up to date computing tools were protractors and slide rules and we used to calculate complex mathematical problems with logarithms and long division......on paper

3rdly if you have spend 3 to 6 months building a mission, it would be very much appreciated if you could spend 10 mins writing a simple step by step guide/instruction as to how the hell to get your mission to work, a link to another thread, written by someone who assumes everyone knows as much about computers as you do im afraid is no good

i have tried 3 time to install the patch, uninstalled thief, re-installed thief, tried again, extracted, extracted the hidden zip files, read and re-read this thread 5 times, don't understand 'hover' your cursor over short cut....that does not do anything....gone to task manager but can't find any reference to which version 1.21 or 1.22....spent 4-5 hours messing about .....and all i want to do is PLAY THIS FRIGGING MISSION

if anyone can help i would be very grateful, clear very precise step by step instructions are required....PLEASE

Thank you in advance

i am running this mission on a 200$ e machine="if your is worse then mine then its time to get a new comp" and all i did was just dumb down the in game option for sky/etc and i really did not have to much problems,a bit when i looked at entire map,but i learned over the years to look a bit more down and that helps a ton,so far i love this mission,but i can say i don't think such a massive area was needed,there could have been some walls to lessen the amount of textures seen at once.

ok i think my mission is broken,the vault code with gems is not working,yes i got the paint smear clue,but i turned the collect colors on and door is not opening?and yes i know colors look simaler but i am not color blind so i know for 100% fact i got right colors lit and nothing,i will explain what gems i turned on by orientation of room,ok if i come down ladder and face vault,i clicked on left side first on on left by ladder=light blue,then next one on left to that is purple,then i skiped the black one,and clicked the white one,now to right side of ladder,i clicked second one on right which was orange then went around that little corner and clicked green,nothing happen,please tell me i am doing something wrong?

Well I tried Nicked suggestion and it worked. Once I got inside the lag was virtually gone and it runs fine. But dang it took along time to get in as movement was so lagged until then. I hope I don't have to go outside again.

soon left side from ladder i click 1,2,4 gems and on right side i clicked 2,4

did i do something wrong,i am starting towonder if person who made this mission is color blind?

Bummer! Game crashed after starting. Now my anti-virus software is going crazy dumping the files from the mission.

downwinder - that sounds correct. Just in case, here's a diagram (linked because spoilers!): http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps59e34318.jpg

If that isn't working then all I can think is that some combination of button presses has changed the number stored in the background in some way that shouldn't have happened. Certainly had no trouble with this puzzle in test. If you have an earlier save, before pressing any gems, does it work if you just turn on those ones? If not, can you send me your save file and I can load it up and take a look to see if I can figure out what's gone wrong?

fortuni - sorry to hear you're having problems. I did include a file in the zip called install.doc which should have simple step-by-step instructions that run through installing Thief from scratch through to getting the mission to load, with links to relevant files. If that document is wrong or confusing then please let me know.

As for pushing Thief to it's limits, I think that'll be a very natural inclination for any author who struggled against the limitations of the dark engine, to then be given a patch that allows you to make a level that looks almost as good as modern games. Personally, pushing New Dark to it's limits was my goal from the beginning with this level. I didn't then want to impose artificial limitations, even though it does necessarily raise the system requirements considerably. The system reqs are still significantly lower than virtually any game released in the past 5 years. Having stretched myself and the game to new limits, I expect I'll look to reach a common ground with regards to accessibility, poly counts, draw distances etc. in future missions, although I do see no reason to use an out-of-date version of New Dark.
    Last edited by nicked; 4th Sep 2014 at 02:08.

fortuni: I can help with one aspect of your issues. If you right-click on the thief 2 executable (that is, thief2.exe) and choose "properties", then one of the tabs in that properties dialog will tell which version it is. In Windows 7, it is the "Details" tab, which lists "product version" as 1.22 (or 1.21 if that's the case).

If you have FMsel running, then its button on the taskbar might just say "Thief 2 Final 1.22" or "Thief 2 Final 1.21"... although my taskbar buttons are not wide enough to see the final character, so that wouldn't help. However, if you hover the mouse cursor over that taskbar button, eventually you should see a popup saying "Thief 2 Final 1.22 -- [FMSel 1.1.2]" Note that I'm talking about the bar at the bottom of your windows screen, and not the Task Manager.

If you don't run FMSel, well... I don't know how you ever get FMs to run at all, so I can't help there.

I feel your pain. I'm sorry!

p.s. I still have a stack of IBM plastic templates used to draw flowchart boxes (parallelograms, arrows, ovals) from the days when people used punch cards to run programs on mainframes.

Your worst enemy is frustration. You can figure out how to make this FM run. You can! Even if it's choppy, at least you will know you got it working. At that point, you've won the only battle you can win without upgrading your computer. I fought the good fight; I got Eidos to give me a refund for Deus Ex Invisible War because my graphics card didn't have pixelShaders 1.0, and the game wouldn't run. But, in the end (several years later), I had to upgrade because I was beginning to see that I couldn't run anything properly. :/
    Last edited by margotbean; 4th Sep 2014 at 02:41.

@ nicked.....sorry for shouting earlier, but i am sooooo frustrated, this is not the only time this has happened....too often when a mission is release nowadays the first 5 pages of the thread is stuffed full of 'how do i get this FM to work' 'fm keeps crashing' and other playability issues

i understand authors wishing to push newdark, but if that goes to the point that a lot of people cant play their game due to install problem that seems to me a self defeating exercise

1stly thanks for the note about the install doc....but the djriff website has not worked for a long time

2ndly the tafferpatch recommended by TTLG http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141148 says it is 1.21 ( but i believe it is actually 1.22 version in the tafferpatch, can anyone confirm this please ) and that is the tafferpatch that i have installed, but still i have tried to patch with the 1.22 patch extract/extract....and still the game crashes

i can not work out how to check which version i have installed in my game, and i cant see what version i am using via task manager or by hovering over icon as suggested, and i have followed other peoples advise on installing 1.22 so that is why i am stumped....not sure if i have installed correctly/cant check if i have installed correctly

so if i already have 1.22 installed what could causing this crash, and how do i go about diagnosing issue....

ps i have a toshiba satalite l755 5i duel quod...the machine should be absolutely fine

thanks again in advance

I'll pm you a couple of pics on how to find the version. Give me a couple of minutes, though.

Edit. Done that.

Re: Tafferpatcher, I believe it hasn't been updated to v1.22 yet. The OP in the TP thread states v1.21.

mxleader - I had the same problem trying to apply the DromEd ToolKit. Norton antivirus went haywire deleting all the executables and .com files, because they have a low or no reputation score among the Norton community. (Which translates to "we can't verify that these files are safe because we've never heard of them before"). Most annoying thing ever! Someday I'm going to figure out how to turn off that feature...

Quote Originally Posted by fortuni View Post
    i can not work out how to check which version i have installed in my game, and i cant see what version i am using via task manager or by hovering over icon as suggested, and i have followed other peoples advise on installing 1.22 so that is why i am stumped....not sure if i have installed correctly/cant check if i have installed correctly
    I just explained that, please read above post!

yes nicked i will have to try a earlier saved game,will post results,as i do have combo right

ok it worked on a earlyer saved game

but now i cant find the piece of paper with the painting puzzle where is it?
    Last edited by downwinder; 4th Sep 2014 at 04:01.

I did the piano riddle written on the old note, but I can't understand what is the secret I unlocked

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast