TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: TG FM: Endless Rain (09/08/2014)

Southquarter.com/fms
    Quote Originally Posted by gnartsch View Post
    we will have to pay you for it.
    Funny you mentioned that - I was just thinking this after finishing Death's Turbid Veil - for complex missions such as these, which take 3-6 hours to finish, I would definitely pay for them. I've bought games on Steam which are decent and cost $10-20, but I finish them in about the same amount of time and they aren't nearly as well done or engaging.

This of course wouldn't work - no one wants to pay for every FM that is released. But it would be cool if via Kickstarter or something, money could be raised for a team of Dromeders, where they are contracted with Eidos' permission to finish a major campaign, something significantly larger than just a single FM. I'm sure some of the cash would end up going to Eidos too, as they own the rights to Thief. But man, for a full campaign, like a full retail game's worth, done by a team of like Eshaktaar/skacky/nicked/Yandros or whomever, I'd pay $30-50 for that.

L'architecte de Rocksbourg
    I've been thinking about it for quite some time, but other than donations I don't see how it would work. You could think about a system similar to the humblebundle, with Eidos getting involved, or maybe a system a bit similar to patreon. Kind donations through paypal would probably work. There are many FMs I'd be willing to give 10 bucks here and there as a token of my gratitude, but at the same time I'm not really making FMs for money in the first place...
    Last edited by DrK; 29th Sep 2014 at 16:33.

Southquarter.com/fms
    I don't want to derail Skacky's thread here too much, but I did some quick math and thought it might look something like this:

-A team of 3-5 Dromed vets map out a full length campaign, 10-15 missions, and develop a cohesive story they can outline to the public.
    -A Kickstarter campaign is started up, asking for $50,000. That's 2000 pledges of $25 each. Several FMs on thiefmissions.com have over 1000 downloads alone.
    -Kickstarter gets 5%, or $2500. Amazon gets 3-5%, so say another $2500.
    -Eidos gets 20% (just guessing here), or $10,000.
    -That leaves $35,000 for the team. If you have 5 members, that's $7000 each. Not enough to survive on by any means, but a decent side job, doing something you enjoy.
    -With good leadership, it could probably be done in about 12-18 months.

That's just 5 minutes of thought, I'm sure there's holes galore in my reasoning, but I'm just having a little fun here.
    Last edited by Brethren; 29th Sep 2014 at 18:58.

I would gladly pay $4-5 a mission up front if I knew they were some of the best authors in the community and I had played some of their prior work. I imagine many others would too.
    Klatremus' Supreme Thief Site - Walkthroughs, Loot Lists & Ghost Reports
    Let's Supreme Ghost Thief - YouTube Channel with Thief Let's Plays

Thank you, but my inability to work on the sequel is not related to money and even if it were I wouldn't accept donations for hobby work.

Bit of a thread derail going on here but an interesting topic..My Q: Is it not still illegal for any profit to be made from DromEd projects? Way back when this was a key clause in the Editor being released right, and I'm not aware of this situation being changed (?) Anyone able to clarify?

Anyway back on topic, the mission looks awesome skacky, I look forward to playing it when I have a proper Thief rig available (stuck using a laptop right now..it's just not the same for Thief missions.)

Recorded my Supreme Ghost run Friday and YouTube finally finished processing! Catch my Endless Rain video Let's Play HERE.
    Just can't get enough of this mission!

wandered around the sewers a fair bit now and I can't seem to find the zombie any hints would be welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Esme View Post
    wandered around the sewers a fair bit now and I can't seem to find the zombie any hints would be welcome
    I've forgotten exactly how to get there from the sewers, but you can come from the other direction by taking the elevator down from the power station building.

When entering the sewers from the canal in the northwest, make a right and you should be on the right track, no pun intended.

found it, thanks

Just wanted to let people know I'm attempting an Ironman-Perfect Thief run of this mission. I'll post it on YouTube when done. It's proving more difficult than first anticipated though. Just busted my 5th attempt, nearly halfway through. Got caught by the guard in the sewer station. Grrrrr!

Ironman Perfect Thief !? Sounds like insanity to me
    Good luck with that!

Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    Ironman Perfect Thief !? Sounds like insanity to me
    Right you are...

Looks like iron man is off the table. Perfect Thief would be a huge accomplishment for this mission, so keep at it.

My playstyle is "just" Ironman. I save pretty often, but I only reload if I really have to. This often gives me some interesting situations to deal with, but it also makes me a bit of a coward (or at least, a 'risk minimizer') for as long as I am on a succesful run.

I am very far from having Ironmanned this particular mission. Just too many places where it's so easy to spastically plunge like a taffer to certain death from a great height...
    Last edited by jiansonz; 16th Dec 2017 at 11:22.

Actually, out of my 5 attempts, 3 busts came from getting detected to hunt mode, then 2 from falling off ledge/ladder. I think I have the method nailed by now. Problem is to do it from start to finish without messing up. Need a lot of moss arrows though, I'd say 12-13. Not that many water arrows, only 2-3 are necessary.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Quote Originally Posted by jiansonz View Post
    My playstyle is "just" Ironman. I save pretty often, but I only reload if I really have to.
    Maybe I'm just confused by the definitions, but wouldn't "Ironman" indicate that you have to start over from the beginning if you fail (aka Permadeath)? If so, why would you need to save often or reload, ever? The only save you'd need would be the first one at the beginning of the mission.

I think he meant that he tries to play most of the mission without reloading, just as a general playstyle, perhaps without adhering to the Ironman rules per se. I mean you can play Ghost even if you bust several times. You simply couldn't claim a successful Ghost, but you can still say you played Ghost style.

At least that's how I interpreted it.

Edit: Also, you are allowed to save and reload on say a system crash or an in-game error that forces you to restart, or even if you need to go to bed or someone else needs to use the computer. But you can't use the save as a crutch simply to get out of a sticky situation. But I would say playing the entire mission without making a single save is the real spirit of Ironman.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    Maybe I'm just confused by the definitions, but wouldn't "Ironman" indicate that you have to start over from the beginning if you fail (aka Permadeath)? If so, why would you need to save often or reload, ever? The only save you'd need would be the first one at the beginning of the mission.
    Well, it's more like I try to deal with the situations as they come, and not reload if something bad (but not fatal) happens. Only reload if the game is unwinnable.
    'As few reloads as possible' - would that be a better name for the playstyle?
    (then again, if I complete the mission with no reloads, that would be the same as a succesful Ironman run, no?)

If I get busted by a guard, I need to flee, or use a flashbomb, etc.
    Missed a tricky jump and slipped into the sewers without meaning to? OK, now I am there until I can get up again...

So I won't try a tough jump where a mistake would be fatal, unless that seems to be the only way to progress. And so on.

Saving often is both in case of a crash, or if I do die, get physically completely stuck, suffer SHAS, etc, that I don't need to do a ton of things all over again.

A special case is if I play a favourite mission that I know very well. There I may have more serious Ironman ambitions.

I had issue in this fanmission - this is mission issue or engine issue - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVF7Ggg3pmc ?

There are a lot of blue textures in hard to reach places (almost outside this map).

(Issue?) with archer and his arrows - to get infinitely number of broadhead arrows only need to get arrows from tree (shooted by archer).
    Last edited by Xmodule999; 15th Oct 2014 at 04:56.

Quote Originally Posted by jiansonz View Post
    ...I am very far from having Ionmanned this particular mission...
    I'm positive you'll succeed with no more negative outcomes

Sorry, sorry everyone, but he gave me a perfect line there, I just couldn't help myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Esme View Post
    Sorry, sorry everyone,
    So you should be - that was shocking!

Quote Originally Posted by Xmodule999 View Post
    (Issue?) with archer and his arrows - to get infinitely number of broadhead arrows only need to get arrows from tree (shooted by archer).
    Not an issue, it's a well known exploit, and it works on any wooden textures. I used this for years to stock up on broadhead arrows.

As for the other issues, no clue whatsoever, we didn't have these during betatesting.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Finally finished. Awesome mission, skacky. Not many FMs truly "awe" me, but here I often found myself just looking up at the towering, layered buildings above and around me and just went "wow!" Fantastic job. Motivates me to want to try building something similar myself - not that I could come close.

Now, can someone just give me a slight nudge in the direction of the easter egg I've been hearing about?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast