TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Contest 2014 : Word Challenge | Opening

DromEd Archmage

Contest 2014 : Word Challenge | Opening

Greetings,

I opened this thread because I'm ready to run a new contest for the community:
    The Challenge Words Contest.

Strange name isn't it?

The goal is simple:

I got FIVE lists containing FIFTY words. There are name of objects or characters in Thief universe.
    Now what?

If you are interested you just have to tell it by replying to this thread.
    AND while you are replying, you will ask to be assigned to a list by posting it number.
    After that, you just have to send me FIVE number between 0 and 50 that will correspond to a line in the list and what you manage to do with it.

Confusing? Let's give you an exemple:

A random player wants to try the contest then he posts:

I want to join the contest.
    5th List

1 : My mission Theme
    20 : My Primary Goal
    45 : Related with the main plot
    30 : Just present in the mission
    5 : Forbidden in the mission

This is an exemple so it won't be like this if you do like it, but imagine that:

1 = bottle
    20 = Fly
    45 = A vase
    30 = Karras
    5 = Doors

Then he gets a mission with the following rules:

-It must be themed with bottle or a theme related to bottles. (Then a theme with inn, taverns, cellar, party etc)
    -The main objectif is fly. So he could do his own interpretation: The bug or the verb.
    -A vase must be linked to the main plot
    -Karras must be present in the mission
    -The mission should not have any doors present

Obviously, the contestant is totaly free! If he wants more challenge he can post five numbers that might be his mission theme, forbidden, or primary objective. While another one, who is not enough fool, will post five numbers that will be just present in the mission.

Now, let's talk about rules:

-No size restrictions
    -No theme restrictions
    -There are no limit about what you want to do with your words!
    -You are not satisfied or fond of your words? You can try again but only ONCE time
    (If the second try is very worst than the previous, I can allow you to take the first try... But not always depending on the circumstances)

-Because in many previous discussion it have been demonstrated that it need a lot of works, you can build your mission from scratch or reload an existing mission! ^^

-This contest will be more comfortable for players as contestants if you did it with Thief: The Dark Project, Thief Gold or Thief: The metal age

-You can split your mission in parts. But never forget that your words list may affect all the parts!

-DEDX is allowed

-You can work as a team IF your partner is not already a contestant working alone or with another team

-You can also have your own ressources textures, objects and mesh etc !

-You CAN be anonymous. Just ask me from PM to join the contest, your list and your five numbers and function plus a nickname, and I'll post a reply here for you.
    (Because I think that will be funnier if players can see what you have to do)

-If you havn't respected a word restriction, a malus will affect your final mission rate. (-2 per unrespected word restriction)

-You will know the lists only at the end of the contest

-----------------------------------------------------

Rating:

It will be a simple poll. You just have to vote for the mission you liked best. The way how the contestants use their words should be borne in mind!

-----------------------------------------------------

Delay:

-The opening phase will be from the 28 October 2014 11:45 to the 21 November 2014. This delay can be reduced or augmented according to your opinion.
    [FINISHED]
    Inscriptions are closed

-The contest phase will be from the end of the opening to March 2015, (the hour is midnight American West Coast to give you more time). This delay can be reduced or augmented according to your opinion.
    [FINISHED]
    Contest Phase is done

-Phase changed: The Publishing/Finishing Phase, from the 5th March to the 28 March. This phase is like the contest phase, the deadline is the 28th March although contestants can submit and see their mission published and playable if they finish their contest mission earlier
    [FINISHED]
    Submitting phase is past. All author who have not submitted their mission have been disqualified.

-The voting phase opened for a month soon.

------------------------------------------------
    Just to inform player and let them imagine what our contestant will work their missions,
    let's show you the words:

Contestants:

-Xiao Xiao (Anonymous Author) [OUT]
    Theme : Spider
    The Main Goal : Sword
    Related to the main plot : Powderkeg
    Must be present : Table
    Forbidden in the mission : Mace

-Brethren [OUT]
    Theme : Cop
    The Main Goal : Apparition/Phantom
    Related to the main plot : Sword
    Must be present : Pick
    Forbidden in the mission : Book/Parchment/Scroll

-Xorak [OUT]
    Theme : Mask
    The Main Goal : Powderkeg
    Related to the main plot : TreeBeast
    Must be present : Skull/Head
    Forbidden in the mission : Haunt/Skeleton

-Sliptip [OUT]
    Theme : Poker
    The Main Goal : Hammer
    Related to the main plot : Viktoria
    Forbidden in the mission : Arrow

-SneakyGuy101 [OUT]
    Theme : Shovel
    The Main Goal : Swordsman
    Related to the main plot : Mask
    Must be present : Plant/Grass/Tree/Bush
    Forbidden in the mission : Painting

-MossEater (Anonymous Author) [SUBMITTED]
    Theme : Pirate
    The Main Goal : Gobelet
    Related to the main plot : Skull/Head
    Must be present : Bottle
    Forbidden in the mission : Spider

-Pony (Anonymous Author) [SUBMITTED]
    Theme : Painting
    The Main Goal : Pagan
    Related to the main plot : Child
    Must be present : Statue
    Forbidden in the mission : Lt.Mosley

-Mr Nemo (Anonymous Author) [OUT]
    Theme : Arrow
    The Main Goal : Archer
    Related to the main plot : Spider
    Must be present : Dagger
    Forbidden in the mission : Talisman

-EleMatrix (Anonymous Author) [OUT]
    Theme : Treebeast
    The Main Goal : Book/Parchment/Scroll
    Related to the main plot : Lantern
    Must be present : Gems
    Forbidden in the mission : Bucket

-Random_Taffer [OUT]
    Theme : Lantern
    The Main Goal : Swordsman
    Related to the main plot : Hand
    Must be present : Frog
    Forbidden in the mission : Keeper

-Mofleaker [OUT]
    Theme : Horn
    The Main Goal : Cavador
    Related to the main plot : Barrel
    Forbidden in the mission : Eye(Stone or Flesh or EyePlant or Mechanical Eye)

-Ramirez' Brother (Anonymous Author) [SUBMITTED]
    Theme : Ramirez
    The Main Goal : Poker
    Related to the main plot : Swordsman
    Must be present : Hand
    Forbidden in the mission : Apparition/Phantom

-Lord Bumbleson (Anonymous Author) [OUT]
    Theme : Shovel
    The Main Goal : Arrow
    Related to the main plot : Bucket
    Must be present : Lt.Hagen
    Forbidden in the mission : Barrel

-Shamanic (Anonymous Author) [OUT]
    Theme : Rope/Rope Arrow/Vine Arrow
    The Main Goal : Boat
    Related to the main plot : Spider
    Must be present : Lever
    Forbidden in the mission : Gerva(i)sius

-----------------------------------------------
    NOTES:

-Contestants had the choice to try again if they were not satisfied by their words. Some didn't use their second try. For the concerned challengers, you can use this second try WHEN YOU WANT! Even if it's two days before the deadline! (But I don't advice you to do that! xD)

-The word restriction do not care the number!
    For example: "Just Present: Table" means AT LEAST ONE table must be present! The author is free to put thousand of tables or a little table hidden in the mission, the word restrictions is respected util the player can find it easily while playing the mission ^^
    This note works with "main goal" and "plot related" words.

- A "/" means "OR" excepted about the forbidden status, in this case it will means "AND".
    For example: "Main goal: Dew Drop/Teddy Bear" means that the main goal must be a teddy bear, OR dew drop, not the both! (Even if the author will be not blamed if he do that).
    But "Forbidden: Rubble/Rock" means that no rocks and no rubbles are allowed in the mission!

-A forbidden word means that the word is completely banned! We should not see it in game, listen it in game, even see it name written down in a book!
    Talking about it in readables without mentionning the word itself is although allowed. About PNJ's voices, only conversations are affected.
    (Imagine someone with books forbidden and Hammerites theme... That will be unfair to forbid an hammerite voice just because he says "Your destiny is written in a book")

-The contestants are free to interprete the theme how they want until their mission seems to allow us to think about the word, or to something linked to the word!
    -----------------------------------------------

Now, let's enjoy this new contest 2014. And never fear to try if you feel ready! Everybody have his own chance, don't be shy, don't worry!

Have fun!

If you got some questions, or need some unlightement, you are free to post it!
    Last edited by FireMage; 29th Mar 2015 at 08:18. Reason: Update

Summer Vacation Contest Winner 2010
    Can I see the 5 groups of 10 words? I take it that you have created this list? Thanks!

Southquarter.com/fms
    I'm guessing by the way the rules are worded that the player doesn't pick their own words, just a random number and then FireMage assigns words based on that.

Or do I have that wrong?

And I believe it's 5 lists of 50 words each, for a total of 250 words.

I don't understand the part about the DEDX gamesys. We can only use objects related to our words? So if we don't have "chair" as one of our words we can't put a chair in our mission? That seems a bit too restrictive.

Also, I think you meant to use 28/2/2015 for the end date. Might want to use the months spelled out for your date (28 February vs. 28/2), or you might confuse someone on one side of the ocean or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by FireMage View Post
    1 = bottle
    20 = Fly
    45 = A vase
    30 = Karras
    5 = Doors
    so... Garrett must steal a fly from cobweb in doorless tavern, where Karras is trying to drink from bottle, but can't do it because there's a vase stuck on his head..

Sounds great!

DromEd Archmage
    Okay guys,

It's the funniest part of the contest: You don't know my list ^^
    As Brethren say, it's random for you And this is the interesting point of the contest. To get funny situation with the words and to see how the contestant will work their imagination to complete the goal that they have themself create ^^

About DEDX: It's just a question of equality. The ressources gaved by DEDX are VERY important! Then, for classical things such as chair etc, their are no problem
    It is just about their new creature like vampire, crowbar, grappling hook etc.

OR we could do that it is allowed, but then, we must send a link to make everybody able to find and download it! Because it won't be fair-play if some work from scratch and someother have something more ellaborated!

Quote Originally Posted by gigagooga View Post
    so... Garrett must steal a fly from cobweb in doorless tavern, where Karras is trying to drink from bottle, but can't do it because there's a vase stuck on his head..

Sounds great!
    Yes! xD Or at least something that the contestant could imagine! But, yeah, you have totaly understand

About the date: No! you must travel in the past!! What? It's impossible? Crap! We lied to me! Ok, so it will be for 2015! xD
    Ha yeah it's true, I have forgotten this point ^^' I'll fix that! Thank you Brethren!

About DEDX: It's just a question of equality. The ressources gaved by DEDX are VERY important! Then, for classical things such as chair etc, their are no problem
    It is just about their new creature like vampire, crowbar, grappling hook etc.

OR we could do that it is allowed, but then, we must send a link to make everybody able to find and download it! Because it won't be fair-play if some work from scratch and someother have something more ellaborated!
    This sounds like a fun idea, but I don't at all understand the DEDX rule. You can't use any of the custom stuff with DEDX unless you get a word related to it...but you can use your own custom stuff as long as it isn't in DEDX? That seems a trifle silly, but I'm suspecting a language barrier here. Am I not understanding you correctly?

A Contest
    Last edited by SneakyGuy101; 28th Oct 2014 at 20:31.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Yeah, I think we're at the point with Dromed and Thief editing that we shouldn't be putting any kind of restrictions on custom content (unless it's an SSR type contest). Everyone has access to DEDX, as well as a ton of other custom resources listed in the Editor's Guild and through the forums here, so personally I would just get rid of any of those types of limitations.

DromEd Archmage
    Okay, okay! Allowed!
    Because the people ask!

I just think that DEDX give too much things already made to contestants because a contest is something to rate yourself and to show your talent in matter of collecting ressources and creating your own gamesyst! But because it seems very hard to restrict it, I accept!

NewDark 64 Contest Winner
    When does the contest start? Nov. 21?
    I think I might be in, but when would we get to choose our words?

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    I like the idea in general, and agree that convoluted DEDx restrictions are pointless. If for no other reason because almost no authors actually use the DEDx gamesys any more.

DromEd Archmage
    Okay I have done a mistake ^^

You can join the contest now or latest 21 November. You can select your words and see what you will get. But it is forbidden to start your mission until the contest phase hasn't began!

I'll check mission's creation date to look for cheater... Take care!
    Last edited by FireMage; 28th Oct 2014 at 17:47. Reason: Fixed thing

Southquarter.com/fms
    So, for example, if I say I'm in, I just need to pick a list and five numbers, and you'll give me my 5 words, correct? Will the words be visible to all, or will it be sent to me via PM?

So, let's start this...

I'm in. 3rd list. Numbers are: 4, 8, 15, 23, 42

DromEd Archmage
    View to PM first. When the contest will come, it will be shown to the world ^^

Or else, people will try to guess the lists!

Ok, check your pm ^^

Wait a minute: You have forgotten to tell me what you want to do with the numbers! xD

NewDark 64 Contest Winner
    Okay
    2nd list
    37: My mission Theme
    34: My Primary Goal
    31: Related with the main plot
    23: Just present in the mission
    18: Forbidden in the mission

(I assumed the order of numbers would follow what you wrote in the opening post)

Southquarter.com/fms
    Wait a minute: You have forgotten to tell me what you want to do with the numbers! xD
    OK, I thought you did that part. Let me try again here:

3rd list

4 - Forbidden in the mission
    8 - My Primary Goal
    15 - Just present in the mission
    23 - Related with the main plot
    42 - My mission Theme

Having hosted a couple of contests myself, I would also recommend giving more than a month for making the mission (assuming I read the timeline correctly). Also, don't worry about being so strict with catching cheaters, most folks around here are honest and deserve the benefit of the doubt. Unless you just have nothing better to do than try and catch someone.

DromEd Archmage
    Hey! xD

Okay! Now it's better

Enjoy it! I'll pm you soon!

Yeah Yandros ^^ I guess they are all fair-play, but we never know! At least I'll make sure that no one will cheat

Ok I'm in

1.) 39 - Mission Theme
    2.) 45 - Primary Goal
    3.) 48 - Related to the main plot
    4.) 32 - Present in the mission
    5.) 09 - Forbidden in the mission

Thanks for hosting this FireMage!

DromEd Archmage
    @Sliptip: What list do you want me to use for you? ^^
    Also thank you! ^^ It's a pleasur for me to run this contest

If the next time someone else run it, I'll try it! xD

Southquarter.com/fms
    Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    I would also recommend giving more than a month for making the mission (assuming I read the timeline correctly).
    I think the first month is just to get everyone to pick their words. After that, we have until the end of February to finish the mission (at least that's the way I read it).

DromEd Archmage
    Yes brethren ^^

One month to subscribe and pick your words, think about what you will do with it. And after this phase, it will be time to Dromed-rush
    I want this contest to be relax! That no one will fear about the deadline and if he seems to hesitate with what to do in his mission with words ^^

Ah, I misread it then, that should be plenty long enough. Good luck with the contest, Jordan!

DromEd Archmage
    Many thanks Yandros! ^^

Although: Don't you want to try the contest? ^^ I will be honnored!

I'm joining the contest

2nd list

15: my mission theme
    7: my primary goal
    27: related with the main plot
    44:just present in the mission
    20:Forbidden in the mission
    Last edited by SneakyGuy101; 28th Oct 2014 at 20:55.

Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast