TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Valkyria Chronicles... PC?!

Moderator and Priest
    Moink?

Level 10,000 achieved
    Moink! Did you get to that part already? Took me a couple days to get there.

Just did the mission next to the ancient ruins last night. Obviously that level feels a bit more scripted than most of them, but I love how it weaves the narrative into the gameplay.

Haven't had any more crashes. Really happy with the PC port, I even switched over to M+KB and found that it worked slightly better than gamepad.

Moderator and Priest
    Yup. I just got past the forest, and decided to call it a night before trying the desert battle.

As for performance, it's been buttery smooth for me. No crashes, hiccups, or any weirdness going on.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    As for performance, it's been buttery smooth for me.
    I'm not surprised, the game is ~6 years old.

Thing What Kicks
    I got side-tracked by Fable 2 at the weekend, but I'm past you guys and know that you've got the "Let's test what you've learned" level coming up.

Some hints to alleviate frustration:

spoiler:
    Place a sniper in the trench nearest the tank, and have them run across the front of it, climb the ladder and snipe as many dudes as they can in the first turn. You'll need to use 4 CP to do this.

Grab a lancer or two in order to take out the machine gun turrets. You'll also need one to knock over a couple of the blue-grey walls to slow the tank's progress. The tank only exposes its radiators when it has fired its main gun, and it only does that to clear walls that have been knocked down. Jann or Elysse are good for the turrets, Largo or A. N. Other are good for the walls.

Don't bother trying to fight the big bad that appears half way through. Keep your guys out of line of sight. It's invulnerable and will KO exposed units in one burst.

Once you've blown all the radiators (Scouts using grenades are best for this), Just pound away at the tank with the Edelweiss' main gun. There's no point exposing your lancers to danger when the Edelweiss should be able to absorb the attacks of the tank and the big bad. Just make sure not to expose your radiator to either!

Oh, and make sure to grab an engineer to keep your sniper and lancers well stocked.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Malf; 19th Nov 2014 at 08:00.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yeah that's the mission I did yesterday. By turn 2 I realized how bad the positioning of my units were and restarted, but on my second attempt I didn't have much trouble.

verbose douchebag
    So to those not in the know, is this worth getting?

Thing What Kicks
    If you like turn-based strategy along the same lines as XCOM, most definitely.
    Some of the anime tropes can be annoying (Moink!), and the menu system is quite frankly god-awful, but the gameplay is superb.
    I'd also say that it does a better job of forging a bond between you and your troops than XCOM et al.
    I have an irrational need to take the engineer Ramsey Clement with me on every mission.

verbose douchebag
    I love me some XCOM, plus a load of other TBS games. I for some reason had this pegged as a JRPG type thing.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Well, to compare it with XCOM:EU, there's less leveling up/R&D/inventory management stuff in VC. All that stuff is there, but it's very quick and painless. The gameplay is... perhaps not quite as polished as that in XCOM, but it's still very good. Almost as good as XCOM. Almost. The characters are a huge plus tho. I definitely feel a lot more attachment to them than I ever did to my XCOM operatives. They all have a few personality traits listed in their stats, and these show up in interesting ways during missions. One of the scouts on the roster, Ted, had an attribute that said "Fancies Men", and of course I had to include him in my squad just to see how that would play out. I totally forgot about it until later on during a mission when I had him run up and take cover next to another male soldier, at which point Ted cheerfully exclaims "Kinda nice when it's just us guys huh?" and got a stat boost.

verbose douchebag
    PhilipJFrye.jpg

Thing What Kicks
    Ted's the one who looks like he's manically happy after having a balloon blow up in his face, right?

One soldier who's come to my attention since playing on PC is Nina Streiss, a shock trooper.
    While I understand that scouts are massively overpowered in the game, I've always played it relying heavily on shock troopers; in similar fashion, assault squaddies are my favourite class in XCOM.
    And Nina's got some kick-ass stats and the attitude to back it up. Not sure yet if I prefer her to the gloriously monosyllabic Hannes and his partner in hate Jane, but she's getting there.

Moderator and Priest
    I still haven't gotten used to paring people with certain people to get the most out of them. So far, just slapping people together by class, and watching them roll on has worked well enough for me.

Though I'm willing to bet that's probably gonna change once the game starts ramping up in difficultly.

verbose douchebag
    I like it. It's EXTREMELY Japanese, especially the whole "hey guys, we've all signed up to risk our lives in the futile defence of our tiny nation against a superpower but it's all so carefree like we just signed up for summer camp or something" vibe. The game play is cool and just punishing enough to really make you think about developing a strategy. There is also enough cool variation in those stats to allow for some on the spot tactical decisions too - that lancer might be an issue, but doesn't one of my shock troops get an attack boost against them? Zoom them in to shred the asshole while providing cover with a couple of scouts. Yeah, I think me and this game are going to get along.

I look forward to checking this game out at some point. Looks good from what I've seen of it.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    I like it. It's EXTREMELY Japanese, especially the whole "hey guys, we've all signed up to risk our lives in the futile defence of our tiny nation against a superpower but it's all so carefree like we just signed up for summer camp or something" vibe.
    I said just about the exact same thing to Sulp only the day before. "Hey guys! We're at war! What a great time to discover the power of friendship!"

That said, it does look like it's getting a little more grim and serious the farther in you go.

verbose douchebag
    Yeah, I don't doubt it, but it is highly amusing. They're dishing out dangerous critical missions with the same tonality of announcing that there's a big basketball game with a rival college or something. It's wacky, I like it.

Level 10,000 achieved
    A whole heap of screenshots!

At chapter 12 now. Despite how cringe-induclingly melodramatic the plot often is, it still takes some really unexpected turns from time to time. In a way it's much like Deadly Premonition, in how disarming a lot of it is, so when it decides to get dark it can be a real punch in the gut.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    I said just about the exact same thing to Sulp only the day before. "Hey guys! We're at war! What a great time to discover the power of friendship!"

That said, it does look like it's getting a little more grim and serious the farther in you go.

Mixed. The plot matter becomes very grim and serious, but the upbeat personalities of the main characters and art style mitigate the dark themes that pop up later in the plot.....and at no point does it become remotely as other anime type plots with similar story elementse.g. Code Geass

Level 10,000 achieved
    On the final battle now. Clearly there's some trick to beating this fight but I haven't figured out what it is yet. On turn 7 now but no closer to victory than I was on turn 2.

Level 10,000 achieved
    All done! Had a bit of a scare when my saves up and vanished, but some shuffling around of files in the game directory cleared that up. That last fight was tough, really tough. I'd only done 3 skirmishes so I didn't have my units and tanks leveled up very far, but I got it done, eventually. And that post-credits sequence had me smiling from ear to ear.

Valkyria Chronicles is a damn great game. Better than XCOM! There, I said it! Mainly thanks to the story and the characters. As fun as I had with XCOM I still couldn't be bothered sticking with it after I got bored of the gameplay because I wasn't particularly interested in what happens at the end(I'm guessing they defeat the aliens?).

God I hope they port VC2 & 3 to PC as well. I'd love more games set in this world, and the plot descriptions of the sequels sound great.

This game is a waste of life. Most of the time is spent staring at screen doing nothing while AI makes its turns. What a disappointment. I always wanted to get this game for PS3. Glad I got free copy for PC.

Level 10,000 achieved
    It probably doesn't need saying that zajazd is talking dumb bullshit, but zajazd is talking dumb bullshit. The enemy turns in VC take no longer than enemy turns in TBS games in general.

You are wrong.

I have a very hard time believing that. I've watched videos of people playing the game, and they were pretty A typical length of turn based strategy games.

If you've played anything JRPG turn based prior (eg Disgaea) then waiting the general length should be part and parcel for you.