TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Updated Mission: What Lies Below [NewDark, Full Colour!] - Oct 29, 2014

Desperately Dodgy Moderator

Updated Mission: What Lies Below [NewDark, Full Colour!] - Oct 29, 2014

Halloween seemed like the right time to update my 2006 Water Contest mission What Lies Below to take advantage of NewDark's capabilities, so here it is. It requires NewDark v1.22 or later, so be sure to update if you haven't already. This should be compatible with the Thief 2 EP, but it won't have much effect as most objects are custom. It has not been tested with any other enhancement/upgrade packs, so I would strongly advise you to disable them before playing to avoid issues. Again, most everything is custom in this mission so it really won't be of any benefit to enable them, and might cause issues.

Summary of changes:
    • FULL COLOUR! No more mostly greyscale
    • A few original bugs fixed
    • Most textures and objects upgraded to newer, hi res versions
    • Darkened ambient light and added fog
    • Changed ambients
    • Added Hammer voices from T1 and T3 for variety
    • Modded and upgraded AI skins
    • Reworked cutscene a little

Thanks to NamelessVoice, PinkDot, Purgator, R Soul, and Vigil for resources used in the upgrade.

Thanks to Pär Boström for his amazing ambient music, which was used to replace the T3 ambients from the original.

Thanks to Tannar, Nightwalker and Random_Taffer for testing.

If you need help with the mission, the original thread may be more help since it has more Q&A.

Mirrors:
    http://www.southquarter.com/download.../WLB-ND_v1.zip
    http://thiefmissions.com/m/WhatLiesBelow
    http://download.darkfate.org/fan-mis.../WLB-ND_v1.zip
    http://www.taffersparadise.net/thief.../WLB-ND_v1.zip
    Last edited by Yandros; 8th Nov 2014 at 13:47. Reason: Added another mirror

Yay!
    Wait...
    404! =\

Southquarter.com/fms
    Sorry, my fault there, it actually should be:

http://www.southquarter.com/download.../WLB-ND_v1.zip

I've amended the download link.

Congrats, Russ!

Thanks nickie, I also added the Thiefmissions link, which goes to the same place as before but now has the updated version.

I recommend you wait until it's good and dark, and turn off all the lights, and don't have your gamma set too high.

Thank you for this NewDark update Russ

Congrats!

L'architecte de Rocksbourg
    Nice, one of the best missions I've played comes back updated. It's been years, gotta give it a try this weekend. Thanks Russ

You're welcome. It's probably best if you haven't played it in years and don't remember a lot about it.

Edit
    Also, I forgot one of the most striking changes - the mission is now full colour. Some of the AI's colours are a bit muted, but it's nothing like the 90% greyscale with splashes of colour like the original.
    Last edited by Yandros; 29th Oct 2014 at 21:43.

Awesome! Looks like I'll be up for a while.

Would this mission be good for ghosting? I consider trying it before starting my Rocksbourg rerun. If it is ghost friendly, I might even do a let's play.
    Klatremus' Supreme Thief Site - Walkthroughs, Loot Lists & Ghost Reports
    Let's Supreme Ghost Thief - YouTube Channel with Thief Let's Plays

Tannar can tell you if he tried to ghost it during beta testing, but I don't think he did. However, I'm pretty sure that Peter Smith ghosted the original, and nothing should have been changed to affect that... but I can't guarantee it.

I did ghost it during testing, though not all the way through in one shot. But I ghosted every section of it. So yes, it is possible to ghost it but there's a caveat. It will likely not be possible to ghost it every time. It is hit or miss because of a certain situation near the end of the mission that has a random element such that on one occasion it will be possible to ghost that part and on another occasion it won't. You just have to try and see. But even when it is possible, it is quite difficult.

@ klatremus: Since you're a ghoster you'll understand (slight spoiler ahead): There is a cutscene that involves multiple AI and their behavior during the cutscene determines how they are dispersed after the cutscene. But that behavior has a random element so you never know where the AI will end up. Sometimes they end up in a way that allows ghosting and sometimes not. Other than that it's possible, though earlier on there are one or two really tricky spots.

Hmm...this almost sounds too interesting to pass up

Actually, I just realized I may have forgotten one situation that may not be ghostable. Sorry, I didn't mean to mislead you. I'll go back in and double check.

Edit: Hmmm ... So there is another situation very much like the one I described above only it involves just one AI. This situation is also seemingly random but it is much, much less likely that it will turn out ghostable. So I think that on the one occasion that I was able to ghost this part, I just got lucky. I suspect you could try it multiple times with no success but that would at least entail loading earlier saves, if not restarting the mission each time.

Fired it up and the atmosphere is stunningly engrossing! Will try it despite the possible non-ghostable areas. If it doesn't lend itself to ghost success it is probably still well worth the try.

Did notice the text in the sewer papyri extends beyond the left margin, sticking slightly outside the border of the paper texture. Anyone else see this?

I'm glad you're trying it. Good luck! For the record, I saw no problems with any texts and checked all of them many times during testing. Perhaps a setting somewhere?

I played this back in the water contest days so I'll probably play it again since that was quite some time ago. Actually, most of the WC missions were really good. I have replayed some of them recently, though. Temple of the Tides for example.

i have never played before and it's great FM xD

I like the hunt with the glyphs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tannar View Post
    I saw no problems with any texts and checked all of them many times during testing. Perhaps a setting somewhere?
    It was Darkloader. Worked with FMSel. It just didn't show the updated background texture when reading. The text was in the right place though, just that the old texture is more narrow.

I use Darkloader and didn't see that. Are you using an enhancement pack? I haven't tested with EP2, only the original - perhaps with EP2 this problem is evident.

Thank you Yandros ! I'm impatient to play it again !

The Save screen formatting is off as shown, but works ok. Load and all other game screens are correct and in-game everything seems fine so far with readables/etc, it's only this one screen. To be sure it's not some setting, I just did a full T2 reinstall with the latest Tafferpatcher (with ND 1.22) and only enabled FMSel (no other settings changes) to install the FM with that. Running in 1920x1080 on a Radeon HD 6870.

That a missing file that was added in days before release and it worked, but obviously the gremlins removed it at some point before release. I'll add it back in for an eventual update, but it's harmless.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast