TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415

Thread: Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin

Yeah, you could get this with some more practice. And you should, so you can fight Alonne!

LittleFlower
    I got him this afternoon, on my 2nd try of the day. I will upload that to YT tonight. A 6-minute .flv movie is ~2GB. With my slow ADSL, it'll take 5-6 hours to upload.

I hope you didn't get dizzy. When I looked back my own movies, I noticed I do a constant circle-strafing. Not that it helps a lot with this boss. But anyway. It's one of the benefits of my setup (trackball in stead of mouse), I can keep circle-strafing forever and ever. I wonder why I don't get dizzy myself during play.

I'm happy I beat the Fume Knight in my own way. With a shield. And by using the RPG-elements of the game, in stead of just depending on my own reflexes.

In the movie in the previous post, you can see that I was gonna get him. And then he played a last trick. In the end, he pretended to be staggered. So I hit him a few times to finish him off. That was dumb. Raime recovered quickly, and I was out of stamina. That caused a few bad events, and bad decisions by me. I couldn't rely on my shield, because I was so low health that even when I would block a hit, the extra dark/fire damage getting through my shield would be enough to kill me. So I had to play extra defensively: keep my shield up too long while back away, not having enough stamina and getting staggered by the fireballs, and then I had to heal. Normally there is enough time to heal after the fireballs. But the stagger slowed me down by 1-2 seconds. The End.

Yesterday I did 2 tries with the 2 NPCs. That went better than expected. We could get to phase-2 quickly. So the NPCs both had a lot of health left (75%+). They died when Raime had ~20-25% health left. I soloed him until I needed just 2-3 more hits to finish him off. So I went for the kill. Never go for the kill. I knew that. I turned out after 3 hits he still had a slither of health left. I had no stamina. I died.
    In today's successful try, he tried the same trick again. This time I didn't fall for it. Also I explicitly stopped looking at the boss's healthbar when he reached 25% or so. I just kept fighting him in the same way. When he finally sank on his knees, it was almost a surprise.

Two years ago I killed Elena. I can't remember how. I tried that fight last week a few times. Seems impossible. I think I could only beat her when she summoned skeletons twice. As soon as she summons Velstadt, I'm done.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryzemuis View Post
    I hope you didn't get dizzy. When I looked back my own movies, I noticed I do a constant circle-strafing.
    I do that too. It has an advantage, that when you need to dodge, you already have a direction set, so the dodge is only one input (the dodge button). Otherwise you have to press direction+dodge which is a two button input, and therefore slower. Also, some attacks can be avoided just by strafing.

And yeah, that's why I re-render my videos in Vegas, so I only have to upload a few hundred MBs.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryzemuis View Post
    Enjoy
    Now ain't that a bitch?

LittleFlower
    Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    Now ain't that a bitch?

I've played hunderds of hours of Dark Souls games. I'm used to getting killed while the boss is almost down. It is part of learning a fight. It's happening less and less. But it still does. Before this attempt, I had an attempt with 2 NPCs where I got him to 1% or so (a few more hits). I got greedy, and tried to finish him off in 3 hits. Of course after 3 hits, he was still alive, I had no stamina, could not block or roll, and died when he swung at me.

The good thing was: 2 years ago I could not get through phase-1 ~50% of the time. So I couldn't even start to learn phase-2. Very frustrating. With this tanking setup, I could get through phase-1 every time. My estimate is that I needed 30-40 tries this time to kill him (I had 21 videos on my SSD). All those 40 tries I made it to phase-2, with 9+ sips of my Estus. That was amazing, compared to the frustration of my previous attempts.

So I died. The next day, this was my second attempt:

Nice! Alonne will be easier, since he only deals physical damage. He does have an unblockable attack though, so watch out!

LittleFlower
    he ded

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415