TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: T1 FM - Circle of Strain Campaign - Newdark Re-release - 2014-11-27

T1 FM - Circle of Strain Campaign - Newdark Re-release - 2014-11-27

Hello Taffers, and happy Thanksgiving!

Let me present to you all, a NewDark updated version of the Circle of Strain 1-3 maps by the infamous "Mokkis", now in campaign form, bugfixed, and mildly enhanced. (Not to be confused with the Circle of Stone and Shadow campaign.) These missions have been re-released with permission from Markus "Mokkis" Lappalainen. Bugfixing these lovingly crafted missions has been another little side project of mine for the past year, or so.

Newdark 1.22 is required, and I recommend playing with Nameless Voice's Thief Enhancement Pack 2, and Gecko's HDMod installed. I've also included *.DMLs you can use if you have enhanced skies installed. They can be found in the "Enhanced Sky DMLs" folder, and will need to be moved to the root FM folder.

The story takes you back to when Garrett was working with Felix, who's been finding him thieving jobs. The first mission takes you through the mansion of Lord Jack for a jeweled artifact, the second through the manor of Lord Jacob to thwart his nefarious plans, and lastly the third mission takes you back to the city, with your eyes set on an incalculably valuable holy relic.

What's been changed you ask? A lot of stuff:
    All:
    Adjusted, reworked, and realigned many terrain brushes to optimize terrain
    Ajusted, reworked, and realigned room brushes to fix sound propagation errors
    Added EAX settings to all rooms
    Added 32 bit Lighting and increased lightmap resolution
    Adjusted physics properties of many objects so that they more closely fit the model
    Aligned many, many textures *everywhere*
    Removed unused textures to reduce memory usage
    Added colored lighting to torches, flames, and electric lights, among others
    Adjusted rendering parameters to apply a very subtle color to shadow
    Fixed sleeping guards and servants so they wake up properly
    Reduced lockpicking time for locks which are not by any AI
    Included optional enhanced sky *.dmls if enhanced skies are installed
    Added proper inventory object names to keys, and other objects
    Spellchecked, fixed punctuation, and reworked a few unclear books/scrolls
    Adjusted fireplace particles, so they don't pass through the brickwork
    Lots of other stuff I've forgotten

CoS1:
    Fixed misaligned terrain brushes in outside area
    Reworked Roofs and outside areas to be better optimized
    Replaced outside light brushes with proper sunlight
    Fixed the silver fire poker ticking off finding the serpentile torc objective
    Resized manor rooms and trophy room to fit textures better
    Adjusted how the front gate guards respond and attack when the player acts suspiciously
    Fixed Garrett VoiceOvers so they play properly
    Fixed and adjusted ambientsound markers
    Text on PosterScrolls now displayed on parchment, instead of in-game
    Added a flow brush around the well water to fix silent water
    Added windows on the inside that were on the outside of the manor
    Changed bunk beds with guards in them to single bunks so guards wake up properly.

CoS2:
    Replaced outside light brushes with proper sunlight
    Expanded sky areas to connect courtyard to adjacent areas
    Moved the 2nd floor higher to better fit textures
    Fixed invalid flow brush that resulted in silent water
    Fixed Zombies so they (usually) resurrect properly

CoS3:
    Removed unnecessary solid sky brushes meant to lower poly counts in T1, opening up views
    Optimized brushes around the Cathedral, manor and all over town (this sounds mundane,
    but took many, many hours.)
    Replaced rotated cube brushes used as beams in the manor with optimized wedge brushes
    Fixed servant with tray, so he drops the tray when startled
    Note: Darkloader has problems with running newdark Thief1 missions. If you refuse to use FMSel, follow these instructions provided by SlyFoxx to correct the problem.

Download:
    CoS Campaign 2.0a - Mediafire
    CoS Campaign 2.0a - Darkfate (Thanks Clearing!)

Note:
    The thread for the original CoS Mission 1 can be found here.
    The thread for the original CoS Mission 3 can be found here.
    There doesn't seem to be one for the second mission.
    Last edited by AntiMatter_16; 28th Nov 2014 at 04:32.

Excellent news, bringing Newdark life to a classic series.....Thank you AntiMatter....

Awesome
    Perhaps I'll have time tonight to play these wonderful missions in NewDark format

This would be the first thread I see right when I get to work, now I have to wait all day. COS1 was one of the first FMs I played in 99. Back when a 3mb FM was considered huge, in file size, and would take all night to download on dial-up. Now our eyes pop out at a FM that weighs half a gig and yet it takes just a few minutes to download. Thanks for all the hard work, can't wait to get home and replay these classics

That's great news! These missions were always fun to play and I can't wait to play them again with all the bugs taken care of. Thanks very much for doing all the work. I'm going to add a link to the original threads at the bottom of the first post so people can find answers to questions easily.

Thanks for a few hours of nostalgic fun! I have replayed these several times and have enjoyed them every time.

Clearinghouse

These are very enjoyable missions but with the update the guards are way too fidgety and sensitive. It's especially annoying in the second mission where I'm in the Manors Library and the guards downstairs can somehow still hear me Whats up with this? Is this something new with NewDark or was the mission always like this? Now I just quicksaved and I notice that no matter what I do I'll have four guards coming for me anyways

Actually, the guards are probably less sensitive than in the original. Many sound propagation errors were fixed, so problems like guards hearing you through walls is not longer an issue. Probably the thing you're encountering is the fact that Mokkis actually set a lot of the guards' hearing to above average.

I also just double checked the library, and there are no room brush errors. Just remember that you're walking on TILE which is LOUD, and the guards have VERY good hearing. Also remember to close doors, because open doors allow a lot of sound to make it through.

Quote Originally Posted by AntiMatter_16 View Post
    Probably the thing you're encountering is the fact that Mokkis actually set a lot of the guards' hearing to above average.
    Oh, I never knew that
    Sorry for the little misunderstanding

Quote Originally Posted by AntiMatter_16 View Post
    Just remember that you're walking on TILE which is LOUD, and the guards have VERY good hearing.
    Which I've always thought as BOGUS! What thief worth his or her salt leaves the house wearing their tap-dancing shoes?

Yeah I didn't remember the guards hearing being that sensitive back then, or maybe I've gotten lazy, either way I broke out the old trusty blackjack. They lost their sensitive hearing while lying unconscious in a dark corner on the floor. To note, I just noticed this:
    Reduced lockpicking time for locks which are not by any AI and Added proper inventory object names to keys, and other objects
    That's great! Most missions in the early years had super long lockpicking sequences and it drove me nuts! Or unnecessary lockpicking, like 5 minutes picking the vault door, then 5 more minutes picking a grate inside the vault, then once inside you have to pick the 5 chest each open! I remember one mission where lockpicking something took so long I would put a book on the mouse button to keep it picking and then went to the kitchen to get a snack... And naming stuff was the best thing authors started doing!(among other things) Nothing worse then going through 20 red keys on a door, to find the one you just picked up, hoping this is the right door to begin with, all while a guard is walking toward you. I just noticed the thread on AM16's Thief 2 tweaking, WOW! So once again thanks for all the hours you put in!