TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fan Mission Listing by Type (upgraded)

"Deadly Triangle" includes a (somewhat short) part where Garrett has to escape from a prison, yet it is not among the list of "prison" missions. Is that okay?

It needs to be a fairly significant part to qualify as a prison mission. It's quite a long time since I played it but perhaps it would be better suited to Escape. I'll check how many categories it's already listed in - the maximum is 5 or 6 I think.

I was the guy who updated the MbyT thread but there was no way i could play all 1300 FMs so i pulled information from walkthroughs, videos, mission threads, screenshots as well playing a one hell of a lot of missions. Regrettably this method was bound to lead to some errors and exclusions, but the end result was a huge improvement on the previous MbyT thread that only included approx 1/3 of FMs.

Also we also tried to restrict the number of entries for each mission to around 4/5 entries for the bigger missions and 2/3 for the smaller ones, otherwise it would have just grown to a disproportional size.
    Last edited by fortuni; 29th Aug 2015 at 02:41.

In that case, omitting the prison escape part is understandable. Although the player might need some time to escape the prison, it's not a very important part of the main story which mainly revolves around something else.

DromEd Archmage
    Hey! Why is the Word Contest absent from the list?!

There are three missions to share with the world from it! ^^

They are formatted and in my wip thread (as are 6 other missions) so if one of the moderators could paste them them in i would would be grateful
    Last edited by fortuni; 28th Jul 2015 at 02:54.

can you please add a catagorie for missions where you have to track/trail a person as i like those missions alot

Do you know how many missions come under that category, downwinder?

@FireMage - apologies for the long delay in adding in the new missions. I really will try and get it done this week.

i would think less then 20 have it where you have to follow someone,i think trying to find them all would be the hard part,the list would be small,

calandra had it

the one where you follow lt mosley

remakes with the pagan follow

and i am sure there are a few more

i wonder if you could do a mass email to all authors asking them,to save time from having to figure it out alone

cause i am sure you would agree that was a big part of theif experience,and a catagorie for it seems fit

downwinder

nickie, kamyk and I spent 6 weeks discussing up to 70 different categories under consideration. The final 28 categories were chosen on the back of how many missions fitted into those 70 categories and i'm afraid 'Trace the Courier' type missions were just not common enough to justify entry into the updated MbyT
    Last edited by fortuni; 1st Sep 2015 at 13:57.

Quote Originally Posted by downwinder View Post
    i wonder if you could do a mass email to all authors asking them,to save time from having to figure it out alone
    Not feasible at all. I'd have to go through the member list and try and remember who's an author and who isn't or check with darkfate or somewhere. Then I'd have to see whether they want to receive emails or not and then I'd have to manually send an email to each person.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to figure anything out alone. If you come up with 10 or more missions, then I might consider including that category. I can't think why you didn't say this during the updating period when we asked for suggestions.

My apologies to anyone waiting to see their mission added - I'm unable to do it now till next week.

Quote Originally Posted by fortuni View Post
    They are formatted and in my wip thread (as are 6 other missions) so if one of the moderators could paste them them in i would would be grateful
    I'll do it, but where is your wip thread?

I access it through the forum link, it's listed in private discussion thread

OK, I found it. Is it just the ones in the first post?

correct..... post #1 under New missions/Amendments

OK, I've made the following additions:

- Added the Word Challenge Contest missions to Contests
    - Added Cataclysmic Revelations to Multi-missions
    - Added Heartcliff Islands to Multi-missions / Mystery / Puzzle / Prison / Undead / Water
    - Added Working Late to Small / City & Mansion / Mystery
    - Added Castle Michelle to Small / Castle
    - Added The Artifact Returns to Mansion / Ruins
    - Added Of Thieves and Rubies to City / Mansion / Miscellaneous building

Wonder where I've put my hero cards.

Thank you. Winter draws on, as they say, so I'm sure I'll be back to having spare time again soon.

Can I just say a huge THANK YOU to everyone who helped compile and maintain this list?

THANK YOU!!!

I recently lost everything on my hard drive, including about 2GB of fan missions that I have backed up nowhere, so this list is like my Bible.

I love you all for doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tannar View Post
    OK, I've made the following additions:

- Added the Word Challenge Contest missions to Contests
    - Added Cataclysmic Revelations to Multi-missions
    - Added Heartcliff Islands to Multi-missions / Mystery / Puzzle / Prison / Undead / Water
    - Added Working Late to Small / City & Mansion / Mystery
    - Added Castle Michelle to Small / Castle
    - Added The Artifact Returns to Mansion / Ruins
    - Added Of Thieves and Rubies to City / Mansion / Miscellaneous building
    Thanks for adding my mission I just have a small correction to make: HI consists of only one mission (although it could probably have benefited from being split into two, but that's a whole other story).

Oops .....that was my error

Sorry....but tanner or nickie could you ? ....thanks

No it wasn't, it was me with my head in the clouds somewhere.

It might be helpful with such a long list of mission categories to sub-categorize the mission listing.

Something like the following:

Bar/Inn/Tavern/Hotel
    City
    Mansion

Mission Type
    AI Battle/Battle Arena/Combat
    Assassination
    Mystery/Detective
    Puzzle
    (maybe duplicate Bank Jobs)

Opponent
    Beasts
    City Watch
    Undead

Miscellaneous
    Daylight*
    Water*
    Small

*-would these fit under location
    Last edited by Iceblade; 11th Nov 2015 at 23:28.

That looks to be a good idea but off the top of my head I would think there would also be a lot of work involved depending on how it was implemented - I do so love linking things to things.

The main problem is that as each category is increased, the thread sometimes goes a little bananas and some items disappear and reappear in strange places. And the whole upgraded thread has had to be redone a couple of times already to make things appear in the right place and/or the database has to be updated. You'd think there were poltergeists lurking sometimes.

I think it's worth looking at though so I will try and give it some thought. It could turn out to be something quite simple to do.

It's very simple to do. We should discuss it.

Quote Originally Posted by nickie View Post
    That looks to be a good idea but off the top of my head I would think there would also be a lot of work involved depending on how it was implemented - I do so love linking things to things.

Links?

I think you misunderstand. The mission listing would just have a second header layer. Something like this:

Mission listings:
    Enemies
    Undead (hyperlink)

Actually, here is a draft for a reorganized list. I've added comments in bold italics. Also, might it be useful to place all of the OMs in categories as well; as examples.

Mission listings:
    Bank Jobs - I'm not sure if this should be a location or mission style; a bank job is generally going to be a standard theft mission like many missions are, so having it be a mission style doesn't seem like it would be very useful for the FM browser.
    Bar/Inn/Tavern/Hotel
    Castle/Fortress
    Cathedral
    Cave/Natural Tunnels
    Cemetery/Graveyard
    Church
    City
    City and Mansion - Are there really so many missions that include significant city sections beyond a mansion? I wouldn't consider Lord Bafford's Manor to fit this category; although I guess Blackmail might.
    Dock/Harbour/Port/Ship
    Factory/Facility
    Houses/Cottages/Apartments
    Jail/Prison - which doesn't mean you are escaping from one, so this is definitely a location
    Mansion/Estate
    Mines/Man-made Tunnel
    Miscellaneous Buildings
    Monastery/Priory/Seminary
    Mountains
    Museum
    Outdoor/Forest
    Ruins
    Sewer
    Swamp
    Temples
    Thieves Highway/Rooftop
    Tombs/Catacombs/Crypts
    Tower
    Town
    Village
    Warehouse

Opponents: - I think most all non-english speakers know what this means... if not, it should be pretty obvious from the context.
    Beasts - The listing should be consistent, so should we go with plural or singular?
    City Watch
    Hammerite
    Keepers
    Mages
    Mechanist
    Pagan
    Pirate
    Thieves/Thieves Guild
    Undead/Zombies/Ghosts/Haunts/Skeletons

Mission Goals: - Missions that feature major objectives or segments that aren't steal X object or Y amount of loot.
    Assassination
    Escape
    Mystery/Detective
    Rescue

Special Features: - This sublist is focused on special elements that are part of or central to a mission. Also there might be a few special categories that could fit here.
    AI Battle/Battle Arena/Combat - Combat is not really a goal for most of these missions, though on occasion it could be central aspect for the mission
    Daylight - and yet no nighttime category (j/k)
    Horror
    Lost Civilizations - I'm not sure if this category is more about the location or aesthetics/puzzles/goals.
    Mazes -seems more of a feature than a goal
    Relic/Artifact/Talisman
    Sci-Fi/Future/Modern/Other Worlds/Space -this one is so broad of a category, it doesn't really fit into the location sublist
    Water
    Seasonal/Holiday/Weather
    Last edited by Iceblade; 12th Nov 2015 at 18:59.