TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Brush Groups / Multi-brushes ?

Brush Groups / Multi-brushes ?

OK Guys, Ive messed around with a number of CAD packages over the years and am wondering if DromEd has the option where you can Save a group of brushes for later retreval and insertion into your 3D World ! What I envision is the creation of a Library of brush collections. Say you make a nice tower with staircase,windows and rooms. Then you save the complete tower as a block. This is an Autocad term for a collection of lines making up a single item of a drawing such as a nut or a bolt. Then when you need it again instead of recreating it you simply insert it as its in a library of blocks you can use ! Im hoping there s something in DromEd that works similarly. Ive not yet used a multibrush but ive seen it mentioned once or twice and am wondering if this is the DromEd equivalent ?

Yes. What you are looking for is the "Multibrush".

It's not ideal as a prefab though, as the texture numbering and alignment usually end up way off.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Quote Originally Posted by nicked View Post
    It's not ideal as a prefab though, as the texture numbering and alignment usually end up way off.
    You must not know about
    Quote Originally Posted by NewDark docs
    load_group_ex : load group with preserved textures
    I only discovered it recently and was overjoyed. NewDark seems to go look on your resource path for the textures in the .vbr and load them if they're not already loaded, so you don't lose the textures any more.

Good to know! Thanks!

Once there were some stair multibrushes on http://www.mark-cole.co.uk/majic/index.htm but this page doesn't exist anymore ...

EDIT:

Found those staircase VBRs on my HD and placed them on http://meisterdieb.webs.com:

• spiral1.vbr
    • spiral2.vbr (32.00 from floor to ceiling, included with circular chamber, use 12 grid size when editing to preserve original dimentions, freed of textures, each stair no more then 0.75 in height)
    • wingedstaircase.vbr
    Last edited by zappen; 14th Jan 2015 at 12:50. Reason: Found those staircase VBRs on my HD and placed them on http://meisterdieb.webs.com
    My FM campaigns Garrett's Young Years XTra, Reunion With Basso
    Want your upcoming FM translated in foreign languages?

Thanks Guys, Yea Thief is getting old now i guess and even some tutorials are becomming hard to find. Back Up archive EVERYTHING if you can. If your particularly skilled host the material on a website ! Even Komags Keep of Gold website is gone ! :''( Ive been caught out before where ive assumed a page or resourse would always be there. Took it for granted . Snd then one day i discoverd it was gone :/ Im trying to create a backup on my NAS of all available Thief Resources but as I dont knwo what all is available im like a bit overwhelmed. If you know of sites with lots of resources, tutorials, missions, objects, brushes, multibrushes, tools, whatever then let me know.

Anyway i guess thats really for another thread :/

Quote Originally Posted by nicked View Post
    Any way to "Load Group and Textures" with original XYZ coordinates and proper textures alignment?

The location is related to the current selection, but I've never used multibrushes enough to find out exactly what it is.

Make a note of the size/location of just one of the original brushes, then in the destination mission recreate it manually. Load the multibrush and move it till it lines up properly with the one you placed manually, and snap to the grid.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Here's a tip on loading multibrushes. The brush that is selected in the multibrush when you SAVE it is what I call the "anchor" brush. It will be placed at the same location as the brush you currently have selected in the destination mission when you load the file. So if it is for example a doorway, then create the same doorway where you want the one in the multibrush to be, select it, load the multibrush, and then delete the duplicate (brush (either the multibrush's anchor or the one you selected before loading it) if they are identical. Another thing about loading multibrushes - every custom archetype in the gamesys of the source mission (from which the multibrush was created) will get inserted into the destination mission's hierarchy, and if it doesn't exist already it will end up under Missing.

Works great but of course in this certain position group collide with my other brushes. Ehhhh, I must move this multibrush a bit down so again texture adjustment will take a few hours.

If you move it by a multiple of 4, 8 16 etc the textures should maintain their alignment (the amount depends on the size of the textures and their scales).

ZylonBane
    Or if you use the ext wossname texture mode, texture UVs will be anchored to the brushes instead of world space, allowing you to move the multibrush however you like without worrying about fixing the textures.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Yes, AlignExt is a HUGE benefit to use with multibrushes. Wish I had understood that earlier than about a year ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    Yes, AlignExt is a HUGE benefit to use with multibrushes. Wish I had understood that earlier than about a year ago.
    This and Hierarchy OP

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Oh yes no doubt, use that all the time.