TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy XV looks: good, not like a Final Fantasy game

Quote Originally Posted by Abysmal View Post
    I always remember a jRPG's characters and story quite vividly, but Western RPGs? not so much, mostly just the graphics and gameplay. Gameplay does count for a lot though, and who doesn't like exploration, so that's why I still enjoy them.
    That's just your personal experience, though. For me, games like Ultima 7, Betrayal at Krondor, Planescape Torment and VTMB have had some of the most memorable video game stories and characters out there.

Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    I'd say that FF games have been defined by their combat system (and emo protagonists).
    the "emo protagonist" bullshit started largely post FF7. If you haven't played the game take a look at it. Cloud's hardly the whimpering pussy that Square thinks he was, and that they seem to think their customers want for some reason.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

For game that's been in development for like a decade and spanning an entire console generation, it has a lot to live up to.

A lot is riding on this actually. If this game flops then you might not see very many AAA blockbuster home console games from Japan any more. The Japanese domestic market has largely shifted to handheld consoles and mobile. A. That's what suits their general domestic audience's life styles more. B. Smaller scale games are cheaper and easier to make. They become profitable much faster too. Brave Default is a good example of a game made specifically for those market conditions.

Their domestic market is large enough to support itself. In recent years there's been fewer attempts to chase the Western markets by some developer/publishers, probably because a lot of such "made for Western sensibilities" games of the last console generation bombed financially.

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    The Japanese domestic market has largely shifted to handheld consoles and mobile.
    Speaking of mobile games and western games, has anyone here played Six Guns? I'm not sure if it's a jRPG, but it looks like a pretty decent mobile western RPG.... if somewhat of a Red Dead Redemption knock-off.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

^
    I haven't played it, but Gameloft make really competent, high budget, polished games for mobile. They're pretty much the Ubisoft of mobile (I'm not even kidding, they share a lot of the same founders/executive management).

PC Gamering Smartey Man

LATEST GAMING CONTROVERSY: FF XV director says that an all-male cast of playable characters is more accessible for players.

\_(ツ)_/ Maybe something was lost in the translation when he was quoted here? IMO they're still servicing their female fans by having all of the pretty boys from the blue bishounen ghetto for them to fap to.

Well, there was an all-female cast once, so now it's kinda reversed, I guess. Some years ago I was talking about Yakuza 4 with one of my Japanese friends, and she told me that the reason why the main characters are all male (and handsome) is that a lot of games over there are marketed towards grown-up women. Maybe that's the reason. Or maybe they really just want to tell a bro-story .

As for jRPGs inspired by western RPGs... well, there are some. Actually, Final Fantasy 12 really feels like Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale in 3D to me. Vagrant Story, King's Field (and Dark Souls), or Dragon's Dogma were obviously inspired by western RPGs and medieval Europe. I always thought that the Suikoden games are something in-between, too.

Then again... What's a jRPG anyway ? Is it a genre or is it just an RPG made in Japan? I remember that another Japanese friend explained to me, that over there they call games like Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest "light RPGs".

Who knows ?

I could see it potentially agering the feminist or equal rights crowd particularly with the accessibility comment, but reading further it actually makes sense. If you want to tell a story of close male bonding and intimacy, throwing in a girl right in the middle kinda puts a wrench in that. Especislly if its war themed were armies have historically been male dominated (and no one bats an eye at the all male cast of SPR or recent Fury)

Typical reaction for the tumblr crowd though.

All female party? Empowering and creative.

All male party? ZOMG MISOGONY!

verbose douchebag
    Typical post from Tony: that ^

You know I'm right though.

verbose douchebag
    I know you're over-generalising to treat large numbers of people as fungible, because you don't have the reasoning chops to employ nuance when making a point.

Tony's posts in a nutshell:

Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    I know you're over-generalising to treat large numbers of people as fungible, because you don't have the reasoning chops to employ nuance when making a point.
    Not only are you one to talk(see earlier rants about "deniers"), but we're talking about internet outrage. There's no nuance in the topic to begin with.

Besides which SJW types are pretty fungible due to their extremely short attention spans. Both the issues and their heroes change on a weekly basis.....even if reciting canned, interchangeable talking points wasn't the extent of their mental faculties. Even citizens of the Tetragrammaton are more unique.

verbose douchebag
    Only in your mind Tony. Only in your mind.
    Your personal descriptor of SJW seems to be pretty broad.
    It's enduringly hilarious how often you shoe-horn your little bug bear into such a diverse range of non-related topics.
    Did a SJW harm a member of your family or something?

I've yet to see you point out any examples of "nuance" in their side....and almost by definition the people who are outraged about the existence of an all-male party in an RPG aren't nuanced people. They themselves are the ones who are incapable of understanding "nuance" and instead apply a blank slate charge of "sexism" to any male dominated space.

Not to mention that your comment is even more hilarious due to the nuance of my comment that you're completely oblivious to.

It's enduringly hilarious how often you shoe-horn your little bug bear into such a diverse range of non-related topics.
    I'd throw the same back at you. I can't even enjoy a nice, old-school RPG without SJW bozos bullying the developer into patching out every innocuous joke they don't like.

How about they leave the rest of us the fuck alone one every so often instead of acting like evangelists charged with a divine mission to disrupt every "wrong" attitude they encounter? I'd be more than happy to ignore them if only they were content to leave what i like the fuck alone.
    Last edited by Tony_Tarantula; 7th Apr 2015 at 14:03.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Tarantula View Post
    How about they leave the rest of us the fuck alone one every so often instead of acting like evangelists charged with a divine mission to disrupt every "wrong" attitude they encounter? I'd be more than happy to ignore them if only they were content to leave what i like the fuck alone.
    I don't see anyone around here shouting about how awful it is that this game has an all-male party. They are leaving you alone, Tony. Settle down. This is a safe place. Those mean, nasty SJWs can't get to you here. Shhhhh, it's ok. It's ok.

I've yet to see you point out any examples of "nuance" in their side....and almost by definition the people who are outraged about the existence of an all-male party in an RPG aren't nuanced people.
    I've yet to see anyone actually outraged about the FF XV all-male party. Then again, I don't read SJW tumblr blogs either. I'm pretty sure some of them are set up only for trolling purposes anyway.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Quote Originally Posted by Yakoob View Post
    Especislly if its war themed were armies have historically been male dominated (and no one bats an eye at the all male cast of SPR or recent Fury)
    It's not a military context. Time of war, yes, but I believe the story involves a deposed prince and his bodyguards/group of close friends.

Also to be fair this game originally wasn't supposed to be a mainline Final Fantasy game, just a spin-off loosely using the mythos established in FF XIII.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    I don't see anyone around here shouting about how awful it is that this game has an all-male party. They are leaving you alone, Tony. Settle down. This is a safe place. Those mean, nasty SJWs can't get to you here. Shhhhh, it's ok. It's ok.

I can't even enjoy a nice, old-school RPG without SJW bozos bullying the developer into patching out every innocuous joke they don't like.
    Not to mention how you can't even play a Bioware game without every other character rambling on about how gay he is....which is fine, but it's pretty pathetic when studios are forced to put in characters that shallow to appease tumblerites and twitterites.
    Last edited by Tony_Tarantula; 8th Apr 2015 at 11:30.

verbose douchebag
    Only in your miiiiind...

I can't even enjoy a nice, old-school RPG without SJW bozos bullying the developer into patching out every innocuous joke they don't like.
    Who is stopping you exactly? You would likely never even have noticed the joke or cared about it otherwise, if it wasn't for all the drama. And it's not like the joke adds anything to the world or the game -- it's just a piece of user content that they got to display in the game as a reward for backing it.

Not to mention how you can't even play a Bioware game without every other character rambling on about how gay he is....which is fine, but it's pretty pathetic when studios are forced to put in characters that shallow to appease tumblerites and twitterites.
    I have managed to do it just fine. You must be really fixated on these.

Besides, I'm pretty sure nobody forced Bioware to put gay and bisexual characters in their games.They have been doing it before either Twitter or Tumblr were even a thing.

Personally I've always enjoyed games with male protagonists more, and never really could enjoy/take it serious with a female lead character, well, the exception being Resident Evil and the Thief2X campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by fetgalningen View Post
    Personally I've always enjoyed games with male protagonists more, and never really could enjoy/take it serious with a female lead character, well, the exception being Resident Evil and the Thief2X campaign.
    What about BG&E? That game set a bar for "strong female lead" with very few aspects of the usual "Little Miss Badass" trope that tends to dominate with "diversity" females in games.

Level 10,000 achieved
    FEELGOOD HIT OF THE SUMMER

or of next fall, whatever. This is looking better and better.