TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy XV looks: good, not like a Final Fantasy game

Chakat sex pillow
    *cut from image of gigantic Attack on Titan thing apparently slamming protagonist into the ground to a driving montage soundtracked by a cover of Stand By Me*

Yup. That's about as bizarre and disconnected as most of FFXIII was. Good to see they've been able to maintain the atmosphere.

And it apparently needs to sell 10 million copies to succeed: http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/03/31/f...ies-to-succeed

so basically it already succeeded?

Sure, if it sells better than FF7.

Chakat sex pillow
    Trailer in Japanese that makes as little sense as the last one, but works better tonally:

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    And it apparently needs to sell 10 million copies to succeed: http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/03/31/f...ies-to-succeed
    Tsk, will Squennix ever learn about having these sky high sales expectations?

On the bright side this means that they'll NEED to do a PC port to succeed!
    Last edited by EvaUnit02; 9th Apr 2016 at 00:34.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    Trailer in Japanese that makes as little sense as the last one, but works better tonally
    Modern Final Fantasy has never been about making sense. It's about stringing together all kinds of disconnected epic scenes and bon mots to make something that looks roughly like a story.

Chakat sex pillow
    Hey, I'd love some sort of bon mots that I can engage with at the very least.

'Look, L'Cie in the sky with diamonds!'
    'That's the Fal'Cie, you honour guard nitwit. We're L'Cie.'
    'But. I thought we were C'ieth?'
    'No - those shambling idiots are.'
    'Whatever, I can't be arsed to keep all this straight anyway. Oh shit, my tattoo is itching something fierce.'
    'Guess it's time to do some mad revs with my frost bike made from the supple metallic bodies of two ice queens that are named after a Hindu god but have no direct relevance to him whatsoever.'

I mean, sheesh. Even FF8-10 weren't as fucked narratively. Someone should get Sakaguchi back.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    FEELGOOD HIT OF THE SUMMER

or of next fall, whatever. This is looking better and better.
    Very stylish spaceship in the beginning. I'd like me one of those.

Wait so the prince put the guy in charge of guarding him... and didn't tell him? That doesn't even make sense. ..

Level 10,000 achieved
    I played the PS4 demo the other day. It has you playing the prince as a kid, having a dream. At one point you're really tiny and you can transform yourself into a toy truck. The combat is pretty barebones, but I guess it gets meatier later in the game when you get powers and whatnot. Eh, didn't set my world on flames or anything.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    I mean, sheesh. Even FF8-10 weren't as fucked narratively. Someone should get Sakaguchi back.
    Isn't he busy with his hardcore rap career these days?

Level 10,000 achieved
    FFXV is out, and apparently it's pretty good, but I just don't have time to delve into something this epic right now so I'll wait for a sale.

Let's watch Conan having his patience and sanity tested by the game tho.

Can a game with character design this bad actually sell 10 mil? I hope my 401K doesn't have any stock in Squenix.

A game with this character sold about 10 mil:

the cat and lizard people from Elder Scrolls feel unthreatened by a mere 10mil

Lol true...

Level 10,000 achieved
    Just bought FFXV(after a few moments internal debate over whether to get this or the Witcher 3 season pass. Sorry Geralt, another time.)

Currently downloading. Soon I shall be roaming the land with my band of beautiful boys! ^________^

We need a PC port already.

Moderator and Priest
    What Ice said. Though considering the word on it is pretty mum at the moment, I'm not holding my breath for it coming out anytime soon.

Chakat sex pillow
    In a coupla years, prolly. They did it with XIII, they've already brought almost every other FF under the sun to every other platform, and they're working on porting XII over, so it's likely gonna happen. Just not immediately.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Well, I've been playing FFXV for a week. I'm starting to like it. I had a hard time with it at first though. Really, there's a lot not to like about FFXV. There's a lot of waiting for stuff to happen in this game. There's characters that are more annoying than endearing. There's weird shifts in tone(and not in the fun way that most Japanese games are all over the place tone-wise). But worst of all is the car. It is just... the worst. You can pick whether to get chauffeured around or drive it yourself, but even when you get behind the wheel the thing pretty much drives itself. You just press on the accelerator and it steers itself. You can weave back and forth a bit but it's pointless. And if another car is in front of you you can't even overtake it, instead you automatically slow down. It's like they've managed to remove everything that's good and fun about cars.

On the other hand: chocobos! As disappointed as I've been with the car, I've been pleasantly surprised with the chocobos. When I saw them in the trailer I thought "No, I'm not riding those big dumb birds. Not gonna happen.", but y'know what? They're actually really fun to ride! They're not stuck on rails like the car is, and they go pretty fast and can jump and glide good distances. They're simply a fun way to navigate the landscape.

The combat also took a while to get used to. At first it just felt like a chaotic mess where I couldn't even tell which enemy was attacking me. Still, it was easy enough that I easily made it through every encounter, but none of my victories felt earned. It wasn't until later on when the game started serving up some tougher enemies where I was forced to play more defensively and pay attention more that it all started to come together and make sense. The game features an action-mode and a pause-time mode. I've tried both but found the pause-time more to my liking.

So, yes. So far, so good, and bad, but mostly good, and getting better by the minute!

Moderator and Priest
    Your experiences with it are about what I took away from it after seeing the game being played for an hour.

The combat in particular, I asked my bud how the hell he knew what was going on, and his reply was "I don't! I just mash buttons to fling myself around, and most of the time I win!" There doesn't look like there's much strategy to it, beyond how you kit out your party before going into a fight.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yeah, just mashing buttons was my approach for the battles in the first few hours as well, but later on you do have to start thinking about what you're doing.

Moderator and Priest
    It might've been less confusing if you didn't have three other guys onscreen running around, seemingly doing whatever.

At a casual glance, it struck me as being somewhat like FFXII's battle system, but considerably faster, and without nearly so much meticulous control over the AI.