TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Kickstarter campaign launches on 4th Feb

75$ seems to be the sweet spot, if you don't want a physical box. Otherwise, might as well shell out the extra 50$ and get the collector's edition of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    Plus hopefully I'll be able to offer some input on the forums for the devs.
    Dude, have you even played Ultima Underworld?! Why on earth would we need *your* input on this subject. You do realize, Brethren, that this is going to be Ultima Underworld III, minus the Ultima and the III. At least play through UU1+2 before you offer input on what part 3 should be! Obviously you were joking, but wow. Oh yeah, reading wiki and watching UU youtubes don't count big brother brethren.

Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    This could be the birth of a LGS 2.0 that we're witnessing here.
    Someone need to register a "otos.com" (On The Other Side) domain name ! You know, with a forum and all.

Edit: crap, already taken !

Southquarter.com/fms
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldmoon Dawn View Post
    Dude, have you even played Ultima Underworld?! Why on earth would we need *your* input on this subject.
    Zang, I got majorly dissed by the GMD man! That really smarts.

Listen up, my long haired hippy freak of a friend. I'm looking at this thing as a lot bigger than just a new Underworld game. I'm excited by OtherSide and the possible design philosophy that they're bringing (back) to the industry. We may see 3,4 5, or more games out of these guys. Just because I haven't played the original games, and don't know the recipe for rotworm stew, doesn't mean I can't appreciate the franchise that birthed a ton of other great games that I have played.

So cool your crpg jets. As much as you'd like to believe, this isn't some exclusive little secret club where you're the president. And what is this "we" stuff anyway? I didn't realize you were on the dev team, chump.

ZylonBane
    Dude, have you even played Ultima Underworld?! Why on earth would we need *your* input on this subject.
    You're an idiot. Whether or not one has played previous games in any series, you'd still be perfectly capable of reporting issues with balance, difficulty, signposting, graphics, animation, combat system, controls, UI, straight-up bugs, and really anything short of dictating the high-level design. So STFU you odious, deranged, grognard lunatic.

Moderator and Priest
    DUDE! DO U EVEN ULTIMA? OLOL! PETTY KNAVE! WOOOO!

Seriously, GMD. What the hell? This isn't the nuThief boards. Everyone here knows exactly what LGS has done, and has probably spent at least a couple of hours with Underworld. They don't need you here getting all riled up because they had the TEMERITY to BESMIRCH one of your sacred cows or whatever, all rubbing your self proclaimed expertise all up in their face.

The LGS guys aren't living gods who have followed the path of the true virtues, incapable of error. Like ZB said, they're gonna need people bug testing the game, looking for errors, and offering up advice and tweaks as development moves along. That's what the alpha/beta access is there for. It's not an early sip from yee olde manna crup from heaven, from which we mewling mortals have been blessed to partakLBLARLALTRFLLBSALGLA what the fuck?

People still read GMD's posts? I thought it was pretty well established that he was always just doing some kind of deranged performance piece wherein he portrays the most ridiculous and uninformed troll in internet history for as long as he possibly can.

Quote Originally Posted by GodzillaX8 View Post
    I thought it was pretty well established that he was always just doing some kind of deranged performance piece
    Why cant you just take the bait like everyone else? This is some of their finest work in a very long, *cough* long time... so easy.

Moderator and Priest
    This is why we can't have nice things.

ZylonBane
    Why cant you just take the bait like everyone else? This is some of their finest work in a very long, *cough* long time... so easy.

Administrator
    OK.... let's bring this away from a GMD flame thread...

Very much looking forward to this but will only be keeping a cursory eye on it until it's released. I can see the appeal for getting into every last detail of development but I'd much rather just enjoy it as a finished product when it's released.

Incgamers have posted an interview with Paul Neurath.

Sad this isn't moving faster. It's going to make the goal, but Otherside really should be pulling in Wasteland numbers considering their pedigree.

Plonked down $150 because collector's edition boxes make me all giddy. Yes, I'm superficial like that.

Half way there ($300,000+)...with 27 days to go...

I'm quite excited about this new game, but the pledge campaign isn't progressing as well as I was hoping. Yeah, there's still plenty of time left, and it's almost surely going to hit the standard goal of $600.000, but the co-op play (the $1.2m goal) for example still seems so far away at the moment. Many of the old-timer fans have probably pledged by now (there are only 5666 backers at the moment though), but hopefully a lot more people will crawl out from somewhere and pledge their money within the next 27 days.

I got to say that the pledge "rewards" are pretty badly thought of and described though. I went for the $20 "early bird" option and I would have been glad to pledge some more, but there's absolutely nothing interesting for me between the $20 tier and $100 tier. Powerful (?) in-game items, forum badges, access to some exclusive blog, alpha/beta access, digital strategy guide... None of these sound particularly fascinating to me. $100 for a boxed copy is a bit too much in my opinion, and the only truly cool rewards start at the $150 tier, and as excited as I am, I just don't think that it's worth it. And that's a damn shame, because this is kind of a bad deal for both sides.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomi View Post
    ...co-op play (the $1.2m goal) for example still seems so far away at the moment.
    Good.

Alright, I know that you're just being a zylonbane again, but how's that a good thing then? As long as the game is primarily designed for single-player (as it should be), I can't see a problem at all with an opportunity for co-op play. Sounds like fun to me. Unless, of course, you have no one to play it with...

And obviously there are other nice features at the $1.2m stretch goal too.

ZylonBane
    Because implementing multiplayer requires a huge manpower cost that brings absolutely no benefit to the single-player experience. Since this is a single-player focused game, that means it would be a very poor use of limited development resources.

I kinda agree with ZB on this one. Adding coop would require drastic changes to the actual game if it were to be done properly and not just tagged on. I'd much rather they focused on a single player experience, creating an atmosphere of isolation and claustrophobia (not necessarily horror orientated, just what comes with being underground for the duration of the game). While I can see the appeal of coop, it would pull attention away from the singer player focus and I'd rather they just concentrate on that.

Yeah, I totally get his point of view and somewhat agree with it as well. The single-player is the main priority of course, and that needs to be sorted out and tweaked to the max at first. But then again, the co-op play isn't listed as one of the basic features of the game, but as an additional feature at the highest (at the moment) stretch goal, so it's clear that the devs know what the main priority here is. The co-op play may or may not require such dramatic changes, it all depends on how the game turns out to be like and if it even fits in the story, but it's hard to say anything just yet. But as an idea it sounds really good, it'd be exciting to try to survive (or whatever you're supposed to do this time) the Underworld together with a friend. And that feature probably wouldn't even be mentioned there if the devs didn't already have some good ideas on how they would implement it.

Quote Originally Posted by driver View Post
    it would pull attention away from the singer player focus
    SingStar Underworld? Now that would require some drastic changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomi View Post
    SingStar Underworld? Now that would require some drastic changes. :D
    I want to play as a bard, ok? >:(

:edit:

Yeah, I probably am being a little over-anxious about it. UU, Deus Ex, System Shock etc have all been single player games (With the exception of SS2, but the coop in that was very much tacked-on) with the focus being on creating a world that the player can immerse themselves in. I would much rather all resources went into creating something like that, than have distractions like 'Well, that's ok for one person but what if they're playing with a friend?' potentially interfering with the development.
    Last edited by driver; 7th Feb 2015 at 13:05.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    Because implementing multiplayer requires a huge manpower cost that brings absolutely no benefit to the single-player experience. Since this is a single-player focused game, that means it would be a very poor use of limited development resources.
    Good thing they never added co-op to System Shock 2. Who knows how badly the single player would've suffered if they had. It probably would've been the worst game ever made.

The co-op in System Shock 2 wasn't really that well done though, and it was definitely just "tacked-on". Nevertheless, I still enjoyed it (not that I ever played it so much). Co-op in Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale are awfully done, but despite of that I've spent many good hours with those. We I know nothing about what the new Underworld game is going to be like or if co-op play even makes any sense story-wise, but it doesn't necessarily have to take anything away from the single-player experience (apart from the extra time that goes into coding it obviously, but that's what the extra money is for). Of course, it might also be a terrible idea that would break the balance of the gameplay mechanics and it wouldn't work at all, but I have faith in the devs that they wouldn't come up with such a feature if they didn't already have some solid plans for it. In any case, I think I'd still like to have a tacked-on co-op mode than no co-op mode at all.
    Last edited by Tomi; 7th Feb 2015 at 13:49.

Classical Master 2008
    Here we are on TTLG, discussing whether coop belongs in the game. Who cares?

What we should care about is the Underworld Builder Toolkit at 1.05 million. That's the stretch goal we ought to be rooting for.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Yes, I'll be disappointed if they don't hit that level (for the editor) - hopefully they'll add it anyway, even if they do come up a bit short.