TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: NewDark Graphics Settings Tool 1.0

NewDark Graphics Settings Tool 1.0

NewDark Graphics Settings Tool 1.0 (Light Version)

Use this tool to change your Thief 2 graphics settings (Anti-Aliasing, Bloom FX...and much more!).

This tool is also for user without HD mod installation!

The "Light Version" doesn't include the "Water Mod Tool".

Installation:

Make a backup of your "cam_ext.cfg" and your "cam_mod.ini" before you install the tool because the setup includes his own "cam_ext.cfg" / "cam_mod.ini". After the installation you could copy your old "mod_path" to the "cam_mod.ini". Don't override the "cam_mod.ini" complete! This applies also for the "cam_ext.cfg"

Install the NewDark Graphics Settings Tool 1.0 to your Thief 2 main directory!

Some Notes:
    =========

Use ALWAYS the "NewDark Graphics Settings" tool!

DO NOT OVERRIDE THE "cam_ext.cfg" OR THE "cam_mod.ini" FILE WITH ANOTHER! But you can change the mod_path line manually!

What is the "NewDark Graphics Settings Tool"?

Download - Light Version (6 MB)

---

NewDark Graphics Settings Tool 1.0 (Full Version)

The Full Version includes also the "Water Mod Tool". With the "Water Mod Tool" you can choose between 5 different water types.
    Change your Thief 2 water when ever you want!

Download - Full Version (240 MB)

A Thief 1 version will be released soon...

ZylonBane
    Jesus. It looks like a GeoCities page.

I have a question about this program. I would like to use it but have already made manual changes to that cfg for cropping and I believe one other thing. Will the program pick this up after install or do I change them back and then use the program to change them again? probably a stupid question but I appreciate any help.

But this is a 240 MB cam_ext.cfg file in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Stingm View Post
    Will the program pick this up after install
    No

Quote Originally Posted by Stingm View Post
    or do I change them back and then use the program to change them again?
    After the installation you have to change your "cam_ext.cfg" back to your own values. Because the tool includes his own "cam_ext.cfg". So make a backup of your "cam_ext.cfg" before you install the tool

For all: Make a backup of your "cam_ext.cfg" and your "cam_mod.ini" before you install the tool because the setup includes his own "cam_ext.cfg" / "cam_mod.ini". After the installation you could copy your old "mod_path" to the "cam_mod.ini". Don't override the "cam_mod.ini" complete! This applies also for the "cam_ext.cfg"

@ bassoferrol

Please read the first Post again. There is also a Light Version (6 MB)!

Why are the people actually too lazy to read...
    Last edited by Gecko; 11th Feb 2015 at 14:18.

It's a nice idea but I think it could be executed (no pun intended) better.

When loading, it should read the existing cam_ext and cam_mod files line by line (or read the whole thing and store each line as an element in an array or list). When you find a line beginning with the variable name, you know what comes next is the value. Remember to stop reading the value at the next space or semicolon. That will allow you to read users' existing values, which can be displayed in text fields rather than as buttons to click on.

I had a few problems with View Current Settings. Sometimes the new window crashes. Sometimes it crashes simply because I view it a few times without even changing anything. But there's no need for this window. If the user can type numbers directly into the main window (or select On or Off, True or False etc) they can see their values right there. Or if the user selects a button, change the text colour.

It would be good if all the values controlled by this program could be saved externally, even if just plain text, so the user can experiment with different settings and if something goes wrong and the user forgets what values were changed, a whole set of values can be reloaded.

edit: Please don't interpreret this as a set of commands. If the program works for you and you're just sharing it then that's fine by me.

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    It's a nice idea but I think it could be executed (no pun intended) better.

When loading, it should read the existing cam_ext and cam_mod files line by line (or read the whole thing and store each line as an element in an array or list). When you find a line beginning with the variable name, you know what comes next is the value. Remember to stop reading the value at the next space or semicolon. That will allow you to read users' existing values, which can be displayed in text fields rather than as buttons to click on.

I would do it if I could. But i can't. Maybe you can help me here?

I had a few problems with View Current Settings. Sometimes the new window crashes. Sometimes it crashes simply because I view it a few times without even changing anything.
    I never had problems like this. Somebody else has this issue?
    One question. Why do you open the "View Current Settings" window multiple? This can be prevented.
    Could you post your system details + windows version please?

But there's no need for this window. If the user can type numbers directly into the main window (or select On or Off, True or False etc) they can see their values right there. Or if the user selects a button, change the text colour.
    Again. I would do it if I could...maybe in the future.

It would be good if all the values controlled by this program could be saved externally, even if just plain text, so the user can experiment with different settings and if something goes wrong and the user forgets what values were changed, a whole set of values can be reloaded.
    This should be possible. Thank you
    Last edited by Gecko; 18th Feb 2015 at 10:02.

This is probably a stupid question, but here goes: Can this be used for Thief T2X HD?

It works also perfect for T2X. Yes. There is no reason why not

Awesome. This is going to be my first time experiencing T2X, so I wanted to make sure it leaves a good impression. Thanks.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargem View Post
    This is going to be my first time experiencing T2X, so I wanted to make sure it leaves a good impression.
    Then play it the way the designers intended it.

I agree with ZB here. Your first playthrough of anything should be the way it was originally released, IMHO.
    Klatremus' Supreme Thief Site - Walkthroughs, Loot Lists & Ghost Reports
    Let's Supreme Ghost Thief - YouTube Channel with Thief Let's Plays

Nah. There is no mystical force that makes the first iteration better than later versions. Most games age terribly, and the graphics in Thief are no exception to that.

Nah. There is no mystical force that makes the first iteration better than later versions. Most games age terribly, and the graphics in Thief are no exception to that.
    I think I agree. I played vanilla Thief II twice before first playing it with Tafferpatcher, newdark, bloom. Multi-sampling, and the higher res texture pack.

I can't imagine how my first playthrough would have been harmed if I had played it in the same way as that third time.

ZylonBane
    Nah. There is no mystical force that makes the first iteration better than later versions.
    You're right that it's not a mystical force. It is, rather, a simple fact that the original graphics were created by the original creators of the missions, while the upgraded graphics were, in this case, created by a slightly unstable person who has repeatedly demonstrated a preference for imposing his own heavy-handed vision on his "upgrades".

Of course it is a matter of personal preference, but I like to play/watch/read/experience anything in the original and intended way first, then with third-party upgrades later. I am very happy I played the original Thief games, including T2X, vanilla style (not that I had a choice, as there were no upgrades).

Quote Originally Posted by Cigam View Post
    I can't imagine how my first playthrough would have been harmed if I had played it in the same way as that third time.
    It depends on how you define "harmed". Your first impression of the game certainly would have been different. You would have "harmed" your knowledge on how Thief looked and felt when it was first released. That to me is a part of Thief's history, and an important part at that, being a big fan of the first two games. But your priorities might be different, and to each their own, right?
    Klatremus' Supreme Thief Site - Walkthroughs, Loot Lists & Ghost Reports
    Let's Supreme Ghost Thief - YouTube Channel with Thief Let's Plays

Curious what do mipmap, mantle and enhanced AI detection do?

Will there be a version of this tool for T1+Tfix?

Quote Originally Posted by Kristijonas View Post
    Curious what do mipmap, mantle and enhanced AI detection do?

enhanced_aifootstep_trace:
    ; enable more elaborate tracing for AI footstep sounds so it hits objects and not just terrain
    ; (the calculations are a bit more expensive, if you're running on a slow machine and experience performance
    ; problems you could try to disable this and see if it helps)

enhanced_aidetect_trace:
    ; enable more elaborate tracing for AI body and suspicious obj detection so it hits objects and not just terrain,
    ; this will for example prevent AIs from seeing bodies through closed doors
    ; (the calculations are a bit more expensive, if you're running on a slow machine and experience performance
    ; problems, in missions with a larger amount of bodies, you could try to disable this and see if it helps)

The ON/OFF button enable or disable this two options together.

mipmap bias:

A positive bias value makes a texture appear extra blurry, while a negative bias sharpens the texture.

You can see it here:

Example:
    GIF Animation (value from -4,0 to -0.5 / Anti-Aliasing is OFF here!)

Using a value with -4.0 makes the whole screen view sharp into large distance.

Between the value -1.0 and -0.5 the difference is that everything looks even more blurred.

Note that using large negative bias can reduce performance.

Find your own perfect mipmap bias setting for yourself...it's hardware dependent!

-1.0 is default!

Quote Originally Posted by Kristijonas View Post
    Will there be a version of this tool for T1+Tfix?
    You mean a T1 version without the HD mod? It's not planned at the moment. But maybe i will release a T1 standalone version in the future.

Thanks for the reply Gecko. Shouldn't there be a roundabout way to install HD mod with the tool and then somehow uninstall the textures only, leaving the tool working?