TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Word Challenge Contest Mission: A Lucky Hand by Ramirez' Brother

DromEd Archmage

Word Challenge Contest Mission: A Lucky Hand by Ramirez' Brother

Hello everybody,

As it was decided on the main thread, from this night to the 28th March (The final deadline) all submitted mission will be published and playable!

The second submitted mission is A Lucky Hand by Ramirez' Brother!

Because it will be important to rate mission according to the way to use the words and respect their restriction, let's remember this contestant words:

Theme : Ramirez
    The Main Goal : Poker
    Related to the main plot : Swordsman
    Must be present : Hand
    Forbidden in the mission : Apparition/Phantom

Mission Briefing:

Tonight is a big night at the Ramirez mansion! Many nobles, including Lord Bafford, will attend a party to drink and gamble. This means they should be carrying large sums of gold to gamble with. This will also be my chance to grab Ramirez's new silver fire poker, the one he bought to replace the one I stole earlier. Even if I don't score big from the other nobles tonight, at least I know I can pay my rent with a few pounds of silver from the poker.

Ramirez's main guest tonight is a rich noble, Mr. Desmond. He lacks the enthusiasm to repay his long-standing debt to Ramirez. Ramirez figures this to be his chance to collect this old debt and close the books on him. Ramirez has hired a couple of his thugs to acquire Desmond's ring. This ring is thought by some to be priceless, so Ramirez' scheme is in place for tonight. Ramirez is known for breaking legs to collect a debt, so this could get ugly. This ring sounds like a chance for me to turn over some big bucks, so I am going after it. Between the silver fire poker and the ring, I should do well tonight.

I was nabbed by the city watch, and thrown in a cell, so first I must escape, then I will need to find a disguise and an invitation to the party. Ramirez would surely recognize me without some sort of disguise, so this should get me in without his notice. The mansion is only accessible through a gated tunnel. I will have to be careful because I don't want my cover blown. My idea is to get in and get out without incident, and not end up in jail again.

Another concern tonight is the Thieves Guild and what they may have planned with all of the rich nobles in town tonight. I better find out what they have up their sleeves so they don't rob me of my chance to score big. I figure they may rob the nobles on their way out of town, but usually that's not their style.

The Hammers will be on patrol tonight, along with a few city watch guards, so I better stay on my toes. It will be busy in town, and even busier at the mansion.

Now, lets see about breaking this jail first, then, off to a party!

Technical Notes:

There is a point of time in the game when the player will be frozen to watch a scene.
    A trap called: TrapFreezePlayer. Don't be alarmed. It is part of the game. Momentarily near the end of the scene, some weapons will pop up in inventory. Do not raise them, as this will alert the ai around you!
    Just put them back in inventory and you will be fine.

UPDATED x2!

New Version:A_Lucky_HandFRV1.1

This includes the following revisions:

Fixes in Version 1.1

1.No kill thieves, innocents now active on "Win and Lose" difficulty. On "Draw" any human killed will fail the mission.
    2.The Scroll in the Servants House now goes into inventory since some won't remember where the switch is located in the kitchen belonging to the library door.
    3.A new map for those who complained they couldn't get around without one.
    4.Some aiwatch markers retuned for better gameplay.
    5.Fortuni loot list named for Ramirez' Brother just for contest. Directions to access is in readme.

Get version 1.1 here! Just click on the download icon at the top center of the page.

Enjoy it!!
    Last edited by FireMage; 24th Mar 2015 at 20:10.

downloading now,i am going to start asap on the 2 missions released so far

wow a bit shocked on how big mission file size is,glad i got some extra time

mission complete but i had 2 issuesthe bank objective never ticked off,maybe cause i wanted till they left and bashed door open?,also i killed the main enemy with creation i made ,but was not sure how to release the guy in cage as nothing highlighted?

other wise i love the mission alot,i think the hotel was amazing,i look forward to rating this great fan mission
    Last edited by downwinder; 6th Mar 2015 at 03:52.

your correct about the bank downwinder, you are meant to find the bank keys , so i guess if you were playing on expert you may have missed your loot objective

as for releasing the man in the cage you need to find something first...i'll let others work out what though as this is a big and complex mission i do not wish to spoil other peoples fun

i did have over my loot goal at end,i really enjoyed the mission forsure,after playing it gave me the idea of a story line that would be a side path of thief showing a bitmore back story on more known thief npc's.

there was one thing that kinda stood out,the sound of a rocking ship in tunnel,i was expecting some pirate of the carribean to start playing :P

Playing on Expert. I have two things left to do: find patch and find the Guild manual. Any clues please?

Patch: In the tunnel leading to Ramirez' place, look behind the 5th (I think) torch/light for a small switch.
    Manual: In the thieves house, there should have been a guy wearing a key to a safe. The safe is on the side of the chimney.

Quote Originally Posted by Tannar View Post
    Patch: In the tunnel leading to Ramirez' place, look behind the 5th (I think) torch/light for a small switch.
    Manual: In the thieves house, there should have been a guy wearing a key to a safe. The safe is on the side of the chimney.
    Thanks. But there seems to be a problem with the switch hidden behind the torch - it won't highlight, so I can't turn it. I then put the torch out with a water arrow but that didn't solve the problem.

I've tried crouching, standing up, leaning forwards, leaning sideways. The switch will not highlight. Initially I thought it wouldn't highlight until I'd read the Guild manual, but I've done that now and it still won't highlight.
    Last edited by Marbrien; 7th Mar 2015 at 13:39.

The only time it shouldn't highlight is after the hidden room it opens is already open. Is that room open? The door to it is in that hallway not far from the switch.

The only time it shouldn't highlight is after the hidden room it opens is already open. Is that room open? The door to it is in that hallway not far from the switch.
    I can see the door but it is not open and, as far as I know, it has never been open.

We never saw that during testing. Can you send me a savegame?

We never saw that during testing. Can you send me a savegame?
    OK, I will.

I just went back to an earlier save, where there's a thief waiting in the tunnel who runs away as you approach, and the switch works at that point in time.

Incidentally, I enjoyed the mission but I have one other suggestion. It seems unrealistic and a bit silly to be able to bash the bank door in with a blackjack, especially as the game intends you to enter with the keys and the optional bank objective doesn't complete if you enter by brute force!

Classical Master 2008
    Hm. Something is wrong. When I start the mission, everything is dark around me and nothing happens except the ambient music playing. What could be the problem?

Is it only for this mission or all New Dark missions? We may need more details to figure out what the cause is in your case, but to start with you might check in cam_ext.cfg.

Code:
    ; ------------
    ; display mode
    ; ------------

; ensable Direct3D 9 based display system (instead of the legacy DirectX 6 one)
    use_d3d_display

; use a single resolution for both menu system and in-game, with normal double buffering (in fullscreen)
    single_display_mode 2

; same as above but with triple buffering
    ;single_display_mode 3
    ; alternative buffering mode that uses blitting instead of buffer flipping in fullscreen, the same method
    ; as windowed mode uses (vsync may sporadically miss frame starts on some systems)
    ;single_display_mode

; scale menu system to fit screen (in "single_display_mode") using 3D HW for best quality
    ; (if you're having trouble like a black screen when starting the game try mode 0 or 1)
    ; when "use_d3d_display" is enabled, 3D HW is always used, this only sets the scale mode to fit screen
    ui_scale_mode 2

Classical Master 2008
    Unfortunately, that didn't work. I have not had problems with newdark missions lately, and just tested Being Thief 2, which loaded up okay. So it is something else.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    If the mission starts in a black room, perhaps the teleport out is not working, due to a custom script being missing or just not working on Melan's PC (which has been seen in the past especially with NVScript).

I recommend you play missions through FMSel.
    I don't know if you already do.

the mission runs fine with me, im using darkloader. I will continue playing this...so far im loving this mission

And it was tested with both Darkloader and FM Sel and worked fine with both. I wish I knew something else to try but I don't. Perhaps someone else will come along that does.

Milan, I sent you a PM.

Clearinghouse
    I can't find Mr. Desmond's ring.

In the cave with the witch, after you kill the witch just frob the floating hand.

Clearinghouse
    Thanks Tannar, but how to create a spell-casting weapon in the cauldron?

Down in the cave with the witch, there is a book of spells. Get that book and read the last spell. It will give you a list of ingredients. Most of those ingredients are also down in the witch's cave somewhere. Two of them aren't but you shouldn't have any trouble finding them. Gather all the ingredients and drop each of them in the cauldron. It doesn't matter what order you drop them in.

Very nice Mission....But i`m stuck.....Got everything except how to free The guy in the cage??
    Thnks

Quote Originally Posted by T-Linkz View Post
    Very nice Mission....But i`m stuck.....Got everything except how to free The guy in the cage??
    Thnks
    You have to shoot the skull in a cage.

shoot the chain holding the cage with an acid arrow

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast