TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Upcoming: T2 fm - Falls of Westbree

Upcoming: T2 fm - Falls of Westbree

Hello!

Here's the preview of my first mission "Falls of Westbree".
    The mission is 10% done, should be finnished around June this year.
    Criticism welcome. (Am I spamming objects too much? etc. )

I'm also looking for some new resources to use in my mission.

http://www.imageupload.co.uk/images/...09/dump019.png
    http://www.imageupload.co.uk/images/...09/dump021.png
    http://www.imageupload.co.uk/images/...09/dump024.png
    http://www.imageupload.co.uk/images/...09/dump022.png

I'd like to thank DrK for being an inspiration! U ROCK!
    Last edited by neux; 9th Mar 2015 at 11:36.

I cant see the images.

What about now?

Yes, looking nice

Yes, very nice!

I have no idea what you mean by "spamming objects", though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tannar View Post
    Yes, very nice!

I have no idea what you mean by "spamming objects", though.
    Thanks, both of you!
    Compared to some my favorite missions some rooms in my mission have a lot of objects in them.
    Im afraid that when the mission grows to its proper size the engine wont be able to handle it.
    Also it might be "not pretty" for some folk.

Looks really great Can't wait for more.

Quote Originally Posted by juvanjan View Post
    Thanks, both of you!
    Compared to some my favorite missions some rooms in my mission have a lot of objects in them.
    Im afraid that when the mission grows to its proper size the engine wont be able to handle it.
    Also it might be "not pretty" for some folk.
    "Spamming" is good Of course limits are limits but for me, more amount of realistically placed objects = more convincing vision of the world. Empty spaces only with barrels or crates are boring.

Your project is looking beautiful, you´re lucky to start on dromed with new dark, you have no idea how painful it was often to work with the first dromed version, always with errors , crashes and other limitations , don´t worry about the number of objects limit the amazing thing about new dark is that you can add countless number of brushes, my current map has reached already 6830 brushes , weights 23.mb. and i still have some more things to add.

Don´t be rush in finishing it, be patient and build each room as it was the whole mission itself, observe well the surroundings of each room and decorate it as you were imagining what´s its story. just a suggestion from a old taffer.

Keep up the good work, i´m looking forward to play your first mission

Peace!

L'architecte de Rocksbourg
    Looks great for a start, nice use of Vigil's lightshafts.

Objects aren't much of a problem now, the more the merrier I'd say. However, you must keep an eye on the total amount of cells within the mission.

There are limits to what you can add in a mission, and if these limits are reached the game can't handle it : (the limits are from OldDark to NewDark)
    - Increased brush limit from 7068 to 16384
    - Increased rooms limit from 1024 to 4096
    - Increased ambient sound limit from 256 to 1024
    - Increased cell limit from 28672 to 32760
    - Increased the maximum number of sides in a cylinder from 10 to 26.
    - Increased automap location limit from 64 to 256 locations per page

Nowadays, the cell limit is the one you're more likely to reach first.

Quote Originally Posted by juvanjan View Post
    I'd like to thank DrK for being an inspiration! U ROCK!

Thanks taffers!

@Cardia1
    Thanks for the advice. I'll make sure to follow it! I've played with dromed before when i was exploring the possiblity to make a random map generator for thief 2. I've settled on Darkmod for the generator. The new dark is amazing tho.

@DrK
    Thanks! I'll read up on cells. Atm im unsure what they are or how they work.
    I love light shafts! Still playing around with them. Wish i had a yellow or red one. Kinda came to conclusion that color comes from the model (besides the light color but it's less visible) since it's named dshatfbl (bl being blue i asume). Pretty much anything that allows transparency be it light, leaves or drapes looks amazing to me and i have to use it

L'architecte de Rocksbourg
    I made custom colored lightshafts years ago. Vigil was meant to release them at some point but he ran away with Morrgan before he could do so.
    Feel free to use them, I think I made a yellow and a red one among many, you'll find them in the obj folder of Rocksbourg 3.

Thanks man! Appreciate it!

I've seen colored light shafts in numerous missions but the only one I can remember off the top of my head is Yandros' Off the Record. He has some yellow ones in that mission.

Looks stunning, I can't wait

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Besides blue and yellow, I have green, red and purple ones which are used with suitably coloured stained glass windows mostly. Those are all in DCE only right now, but I'll be happy to release them for general consumption if anyone needs them.

Your screenshots look great, by the way!

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    Besides blue and yellow, I have green, red and purple ones which are used with suitably coloured stained glass windows mostly. Those are all in DCE only right now, but I'll be happy to release them for general consumption if anyone needs them.
    Of course we want them : )

Clearinghouse
    Screenshots looks interesting. Looking forward to it!

Since I'm making a waterfall i need foam and water splashi effects. Any tutorials out there? What's a good practice? Movable models or particle generator? Any examples? Thanks!

Southquarter.com/fms
    @neux - screenshots look great. 10% is pretty early on though, don't you think June is a bit optimistic?

In any case, for dromed or design tips (you mentioned tutorials), you might want to try the Editing Guild. I do remember some impressive water effects in nicked's Sturmdrang Peak campaign. I think it was one of the later missions in the pack.

Clearinghouse
    Quote Originally Posted by neux View Post
    Since I'm making a waterfall i need foam and water splashi effects. Any tutorials out there? What's a good practice? Movable models or particle generator? Any examples? Thanks!
    Fire/Water FX demo by Sliptip.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    @neux - screenshots look great. 10% is pretty early on though, don't you think June is a bit optimistic?

In any case, for dromed or design tips (you mentioned tutorials), you might want to try the Editing Guild. I do remember some impressive water effects in nicked's Sturmdrang Peak campaign. I think it was one of the later missions in the pack.
    Thanks Brethren!

Perhaps it is optimistic. I wouldn't know. Its going quite fast. Multibrush options are awsome.
    The husk of the game is pretty much 35% at this point. Objectives and AI is a chapter i still have to learn.
    The story though is comming along as i build the husk. Its main lines are pretty much set.

Are objectives and AI hard or perhaps long work?

Thanks clearing!

Desperately dodgy geezer
    It depends on how ambitious you are. If you use standard AI with simple patrols, plan no fancy scripted events like conversations, and stick to standard objective types, it doesn't take that long. Although it might your first go around.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    It depends on how ambitious you are. If you use standard AI with simple patrols, plan no fancy scripted events like conversations, and stick to standard objective types, it doesn't take that long. Although it might your first go around.
    AI: I'll need conversation to patrol, patrol's with animation on each loop(child in Rendezvous), spirit visions (like in t2:trail of blood).
    Objectives: Collect, Take object to some room.

Screens are looking quite good, neux. I like your style. Always great to see a new author hard at work.

Keep it up.