TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stilt Fella - IS DONE! :D

Since you're pretty well known for stick thief, call it Stick Fella.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakoob View Post
    Maybe it's not a bad idea to do a 3 or 4 legged one, or have some kind of a stabilizer (think extra bicycle side wheels).
    The second, unlockable character, unintentionally ended up being easier to control exactly because he has something like this. Feet at the bottom of his stilts, which makes it harder to tip over forwards. I'm considering making some optional training wheels for the main character. Or maybe a 4 legged character like you suggested. Hmm... Stilt Dog?

Then again I'm wary of making it too easy. Just like any good physics game(GIRP, Surgeon Sim, Tricky Truck) mastering the controls and the physics IS the whole game.

verbose douchebag
    If you do a 4-legged one, you could call it a stilt strider

Level 10,000 achieved
    Heh, those things terrify me.

Level 10,000 achieved

Remade level 3. You guys wanted it to be harder, right?

edit: I also made a level which is just a frozen lake.
    Last edited by henke; 16th Mar 2015 at 14:07.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Inspiration hit and I made 3 new levels tonight. Here's two of them, "Frozen Lake" and "That one scene in LOTR".

Is that how you're supposed to win those levels? The crotch-slam splits and the falling off the world?

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    The second, unlockable character, unintentionally ended up being easier to control exactly because he has something like this. Feet at the bottom of his stilts, which makes it harder to tip over forwards. I'm considering making some optional training wheels for the main character. Or maybe a 4 legged character like you suggested. Hmm... Stilt Dog?

Then again I'm wary of making it too easy. Just like any good physics game(GIRP, Surgeon Sim, Tricky Truck) mastering the controls and the physics IS the whole game.
    I don't think that's necessarily a concern if you lay out different rewards for completing the level using harder characters. Think how many mobile games give you a star rating. You could have achievements, unlocks, bonus points or rank awards depending on which character you use. If anything, it could even bring more life to the game as people who master the easy char switch to the harder and go back to redo the earlier levels.

Especially if you have a whole range of characters and clothing options that unlock based on high scores. Hell you could get really silly with it if they're all optional characters - jetpack stilts, a guy on a bicycle where the wheels are the stilts, a stilt character with another character holding onto his back, so if you flip too hard, he'll fall off, hyper-bouncy rubber stilt guy, glass stilts that will break if you smack them down too hard forcing you to take small steps, etc....

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by nicked View Post
    jetpack stilts
    Have you been looking at my design notes?

I'm adding one more character at most. These are all good suggestions but I gotta wrap this bad boy up at some point. This is my first game and I intend to keep the scope limited to something I can finish in a reasonable amount of time. Preferably before this month is over!

These are my plans/goals for this game:
    -actually finish the damn thing.
    -release for free on itch.io.
    -promote it in a few places and try to get a little bit of notoriety. Make a name for myself, y'know. (I think it might lend itself well to LPs. And if it got featured in RPS' Freeware Garden I'd be over the moon!)

Then take a break. Play Bloodborne. Start work on the next game. I've got a half dozen other ideas I'm itching to make, and if I keep going at this rate I can bang out 4 games this year alone!

As for the learning curve, you could have training wheels or stubs just for a tutorial level that are taken off for the first real level. But the wheels would be elevated a bit, or otherwise set up so that you could walk "normally", as if they weren't there. Only if you start to tip over, they bump the tip so you recover. So you keep refining it until you aren't getting the bumps.

I think that's a reasonable compromise just to learn how the walking works, then they're taken off for the next level. But you can redo the first level as much as you need to get the walking down.

Quote Originally Posted by nicked View Post
    hyper-bouncy rubber tits guy
    please tell me im not the only one who saw that

I gotta wrap this bad boy up at some point. This is my first game and I intend to keep the scope limited to something I can finish in a reasonable amount of time. ... get a little bit of notoriety.
    Good plan, sounds like you're taking the right route! That's exactly what my goal for Postmortem was too but then I lost my scope and aimed too high with the second one...

I think the best bet for player training is to just add UI elements, optional, onscreen, to the first couple of levels. Detect when the player is overbalanced and likely to fall over, and then display onscreen which stick to push in which direction. Of course, that's probably a lot of work pulling out physics variables if it's not already set up to track that sort of thing.

A related option is to give UI prompts like that that the player just blindly follows, possibly with a AI walker walking in tandem beside the player so they can see what basic walking is supposed to look like. I.e., the flashing UI are for the AI's movements, and the player is free to try to follow along or not. But at least they can see the connection. It doesn't have to track the player's actual responses and can still work.

Yeah - like a robot that does it perfectly and tells you what it's doing, so you can copy it.

Also you should definitely now name your game studio Hyper Bouncy Rubber Tits Studios.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Heh.

An AI or animation showing the movement is a bit too much work. But I think I'll make a tutorial level with very detailed step by step instructions, yeah. And training wheels!

I'm on the penultimate level and cursing it *shakes fist*
    Up until now, I really liked the game. Favourite levels were probably the one with the moving platform and the one with bumps on the path. There was a glitch in the former, though, that messed the camera up if you fell into water. Controls are solid, they do exactly what you want, but you need to get skilled at it. It's fun! (Although the sound effects when you fall over get old real quick.)

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by gkkiller View Post
    Favourite levels were probably the one with the moving platform and the one with bumps on the path.
    Really? I felt those two were a bit weak so I've gone and changed them since the currently uploaded version. On Moving Platform it's just a change to the behaviour of the platform, but I got rid of Bumps completely. I'll have to put it back in by popular demand!

How did the camera get messed up? At the moment it should stay above surface when the fella falls in.

A lot of people seem to have trouble with Big Steps so I might have to take it out, or just reduce it to one big step instead of 3. Also it's extra hard with KB+M I noticed.

Really? I felt those two were a bit weak so I've gone and changed them since the currently uploaded version. On Moving Platform it's just a change to the behaviour of the platform, but I got rid of Bumps completely. I'll have to put it back in by popular demand!

How did the camera get messed up? At the moment it should stay above surface when the fella falls in.

A lot of people seem to have trouble with Big Steps so I might have to take it out, or just reduce it to one big step instead of 3. Also it's extra hard with KB+M I noticed.
    They may not have been particularly challenging, but they were fun to mess around in.

I was using the close-from-behind view, and when I fell in, this happened. (It's an unlisted video, BTW.)
    In the isometric-esque view, the camera just pans downwards to the water and then into the 'mud'.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Ah yes, that's been fixed already so the camera doesn't go below the water. It'll be in the next version I upload. I'm gonna try to get the tutorial working and upload the new version in the next few days, which'll also have some new levels.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Version 0.73 uploaded. Check first post.

Made the first level more tutorialy, and fixed the issue with the camera going below water. But mostly it's just a whole bunch of new levels.

Moderator and Priest
    AHHHH! I finally got all the way to the end of the second level, and got knocked over by the damn ribbon! I THOUGHT I WON!

edit: ...yeah, that ribbon ain't breaking. I've made it to it 4 times now, and even when I throw all my momentum forward, it bounces me back, and I lose the level.

edit 2: did it! I have to stand a certain distance away from the ribbon, and let myself fall forward so only Stilt Fella's head catches it to break it.
    Last edited by Renzatic; 22nd Mar 2015 at 23:17.

Feedback after the first five minutes: this may be the best game I have ever played.

(Well, that's all for now. More useful feedback to follow over the coming days, I'm sure.)

Level 10,000 achieved
    Thanks Chade.

Renz, there is a bit of a toughness to the ribbon, but it shouldn't be that hard to break. If you stand right in front of it and lean forward you should easily be able to get through it.

Moderator and Priest
    I'll try it again, but every time I try to break through, it'll stop any forward momentum or free falling unless I hit it just right, to the point it'll actually slide me away.

...of course there's always the possibility I just suck at the game. :P

edit: Ha! I just beat the second and third level no problem. Go figure. I think it was my lack of momentum that was giving me trouble. I was walking like I was dragging one leg behind me. One foot forward, then drag the other leg up. Taking very stilted (olol), baby steps. For some reason, something clicked with me this time, and I started alternating the analog sticks and shoulder buttons. I still really spastic, but it's almost like I'm actually walking now.

I also want to add that you've somehow made something that's both stupidly simple, yet incredibly complex all at the same time. It's kinda brilliant in a way. I love it when I save myself from a fall at the very last second by doing some crazy graceful split maneuver.

...Henke, I think you've made a cult classic. Buckets had me laughing out loud.
    Last edited by Renzatic; 23rd Mar 2015 at 02:15.