TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stilt Fella - IS DONE! :D

I finished the game last night.

The core mechanic is a really nice surprising kernel of fun: not-quite-so-easy to start, satisfyingly hard to master. The difficulty curve at the beginning of the game is offset by the hilarity involved in desperately flailing and failing to stay upright. Many of the later levels take that core mechanic and try it out in some really interesting ways. Overall I had an immense amount of fun while it lasted, and I want to go back for more. If you hadn't asked us to keep it quiet I would have shown this to half my friends by now. That said, while I currently have something of an infatuation with the game, I don't think that will last for too much longer. I think you need to do more in the levels department to maintain interest.

Criticisms:
    - You have a core mechanic which should take a long time to really master (I am nowhere near mastering it, despite finishing the game), but there's nothing in the game to bring that depth of skill out. No truly difficult levels, no leaderboards, no personal records, no bonus accomplishments. This game is crying out for at least some of those things. Please do something here.
    - The difficulty curve is bad. The stair level is one of the harder levels in the game (especially if you ignore time limits). I found the next few levels to be easy going after finally completing the stair level. I would suggest if you asked people here to rank levels in order of difficulty, you will end up with a more satisfying game.
    - I would like to see more levels that built on skills I had developed in earlier levels. E.g., harder versions of the stair level, or the cyber level, or ice level, or LOTR level. I liked those levels individually, but overall it felt like the game lacked a skill ramp, partly I think because all the levels were so different to each other.
    - I don't know what it is, but I just don't find that the loose buckets make for a very satisfying challenge. Maybe if I could impart significant force to them (and in turn have significant force imparted on me), they might be more interesting. They might be more interesting when combined with other challenges? On flat ground, I don't think they do much.
    - Either the catapult level is stupid, or I was too stupid to see how to finish it properly. I just retried it 100 times, falling on the catapult in different ways, until eventually by some fluke I happened to be tossed onto the other platform. The particular way I found of falling on the catapult level to finish the level didn't seem logical or interesting.
    - The wave level was just annoying. If the waves had imparted force to the stilts, that would have made the level more interesting, I think (the waves would probably have to be less frequent).
    - I don't know how much time you have to create more levels, but I could easily do 3-4 times the number of levels without getting bored. Probably more.
    - Why don't I get to walk up the steps to my spot on the podium?

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yes, great feedback! Thanks a bunch Chade and Renz.

Yeah the difficulty curve is something that's popped up with other people I've showed it to as well, but the request for harder levels later on is a first. I think it's true though. Once people master the technique after one or two levels it's mostly smooth sailing to the end. I will make the opening levels even easier and consider fleshing out the later levels. And yeah the Catapult is pretty chaotic. I can't reliably beat it myself, I usually have to take 5 or 6 attempts every time I get to it.

Level 10,000 achieved
    STILT FELLA IS pretty much DONE!

I gotta make a trailer and then it's pretty much just a matter of releasing it. Sometime next week probably. Not sure when. I'd release it on Tuesday but that's when GTA V comes out and I don't wanna steal Rockstar's thunder.

Moderator and Priest
    Hey, before you release it, you need to add something like this to the soundtrack on the ice lake level...

Level 10,000 achieved
    Heh. Either that or some classical ice ballet music.

Level 10,000 achieved
    The game is done, check the first post!

I thought I'd have time to finish and upload it and start spreading it around tonight, but the last moments changes took longer than I'd expected. Will commence Operation Shameless Self-Promotion around the net tomorrow.

Congratulations on the release! It's a fun little game that you should be proud of, and I hope that it'll find some success. Good luck with promoting Stilt Fella and with your next project.

Moderator and Priest
    What Tomi said. It's an awesome little game, and it deserves some recognition.

...and an expansion pack sometime down the road. HINT HINT! NUDGE NUDGE!

Level 10,000 achieved
    Free Game Planet posted and tweeted about my game!

https://www.freegameplanet.com/stilt...game-download/

I don't even know how that happened but yay! \o/

Well, that was a fun little distraction. Tricky enough that it's not a walk in the park, but simple enough that it doesn't get aggravating. Fun, good work.

Think you missed an opportunity though. Got to the winner's stand and saw the controls still worked the same no matter what the camera angle. Could probably get a bit of mileage out of that. Make on level that's just a straight walk, but with the camera in front of the player instead of behind, or even at the finish line. Then do the same level right afterward, except with the large column from the LotR level slowly and visibly about to fall on you from behind.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I did briefly toy with the idea of a level where you have to walk backwards. But that would've perhaps been a bit too much.

Thanks for the kind words. First time someone's refered to it as "simple enough that it doesn't get aggravating". The usual feedback is more along the lines of "this shit is harder than QWOP".

Takes a bit to get used to, and legit fun when you get a flow going.

This is my constructive bit, didn't play it earlier to tell you earlier. On my laptop, and actually laptops generally, the touchpad is wonky switching between left and right mouse button. While I can imagine with a proper mouse the alt clicking works pretty well, for laptop touchpads there's no separation between the buttons, so it often takes a few clicks to get it to properly register. That's literal death for this game.

Since you had W & S already set to lean-forward and lean-back, it seemed to me logical that A & D could be linked to lift-left and lift-right respectively. Then one could play it with just the keyboard, if they swing that way. Also if you have that WASD set up, logically it'd be good to have the arrow keys set up for right-handed-keyboard people. Edit: That would also allow people to use both if they want to use two hands on the keyboard, WS in the left hand and <> in the right hand, or AD in the left hand and ^v in the right hand.
    Last edited by demagogue; 16th Apr 2015 at 06:53.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Good suggestions dema. I hadn't even thought about making it playable on laptops with touchpads (M+KB was challenging enough), but the way you're suggesting could actually work. I shall implement those changes and update the game!

Damn your buckets, henke.

Level 10,000 achieved
    srry 4 bukets (((((((

Also I took your advice dema and made it more playable on touchpad laptops.

Lastly, PC GAMER featured the game in their Best Free Games of the Week list!

I'll forgive you because I won the game and now I'm like some kind of Stilt Fella superhero :)

Nice job! The only issues I encountered were:

1. Occasionally both stilts appeared to be grounded, but I could only lift one of them. Of course I only ever noticed this occurring when the stilt I was trying to lift wouldn't budge, generally leading to my falling over.

2. For some reason 'R'estart was immediate if I pressed it before the game told me I'd need to, but often didn't work the first time once the prompt was on screen. I ended up tending to hit it in a hurry if I could see I was doomed, in order to get in before the prompt.

3. The Catapult is pretty dodgy physics-wise, and a lot of the time I just got stuck to it in various ways. That didn't bother me particularly, because you hadn't made us spend any time getting to the tricky bit, so it was all fun really.

(I only played with mouse & keyboard, if that's of interest.)
    Last edited by Shadowcat; 20th Apr 2015 at 06:42.

Keyboard controls work great now BTW. Kiitos!

Level 10,000 achieved

Thanks for the feedback ShadowCat. RE: stuck stilts and Restart being unreliable. Yeah, these glitches have been around since the start. I've been unable to outright fix them but I've done what I can to minimize them at least. Same with the Catapult.

Can anyone beat 8 seconds for the Catapult?

It pretty much flung me directly at (and through) the finish line :)

Level 10,000 achieved
    Welp, it's been a month since I released Stilt Fella, figured I'd post some numbers in case anyone wonders how it all turned out in the end.

2916 views and 1438 downloads. Mostly during a huge spike a few days after release. The PC Gamer Best Free Games Of The Week article brought a lot of people over. 544 views from them. But the most visitors actually came from this Russian Let's Player (711 views). Other people also made videos of the game, if you search youtube for Stilt Fella you'll find an assortment of videos, most of which contain the words "Rage" or "Fuck this game" in the title.

Overall, I'm ok with this. I was psyched when I broke 1000 downloads, and I'm pleased to see that the numbers didn't drop straight down to zero after the initial popularity, but instead there's been a steady trickle of a few downloads per day. And most of all it was a great learning experience.

Lastly, I wanna give a big THANK YOU to all you wonderful people who played the beta and gave feedback. This game would not have been what it was were it not for you folks. Hell, without nicked and demagogue's concrete suggestions for mouse/touchpad controls it would've been a gamepad-only game. And without Chade and Tomi's(among others) comments about the difficulty it would've been even more difficult and inaccessible than it ended up being. So thank you again. When I outbid Jay-Z and Beyonce for my first Beverly Hills mansion you guys are all invited to the housewarming party.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Well I figured Stilt Fella had peaked, that it's glorydays were behind it. But then today, in a fit of bored narcissism, I decided to take a look at the analytics page and was mighty surprised when the download stats looked like this:

2 days ago: 0 downloads
    1 day ago: 126 downloads
    today: 295 downloads

So where's all this traffic coming from? BILI BILI! http://www.bilibili.com/video/av2508475/

Turns out Stilt Fella is a hit in China!

Level 10,000 achieved

5000 DOWNLOADS OF EPIC GAME

HEEEEELL YEAH BABY!

Though as you can see from the downloads chart it's been slow going in recent times. 4 downloads this past month. It started off strong, lots of downloads after release(mostly from Russia and China, they love Stilt Fella over there), but the final 25 downloads on the way to 5000 probably took around half a year.

Also, dammit, I'm just realizing that if I'd sold this thing for a buck I could've made 5000 bucks by now!

Chakat sex pillow
    Cost of entry's a pretty hefty psychological barrier regardless of pricing, henkester.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Indeed. Then again if I had it on Steam it would likely have better visibility than on itch. So, dunno, maybe it would balance out in the end.

Level 5000 Achieved.