TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: Object Repository

I've just added an object but I didn't find the process very elegant. Posting a new object is okay, though some sort of upload form would be nice, but it seemed like a duplicated effort to then update the 'object hierarchy' at the top. After doing some digging I found that the categories can be presented in a hierarchy, so maybe the one across the top won't be needed.

The category hierarchy has the bonus of putting authors at the top and keeping them separate from object types. Have a look at the edited page and let me know what you think.

Looks good to me.

On thing, I believe that the Altheus objects are all player arm models to be used when replacing the sword or cosh with a staff, dagger, mace, or hammer, and not the items that you would put in the game to be picked up. As such they belong in a unique category of object: Player Arms.

That's a good point. I'll add both categories.

Both? I intended Player Arms as a suggested single category name. Isn't that what most folk call those things?

I meant 'weapon' and 'player arm'. Even though you didn't suggest the former I realised it hadn't been added and I got my wires crossed because it was at the forefront of my mind.

Edit: your account has been approved.

For now this is what I'm doing:

Make a new post (using the menu at the top)
    The Add Media button is used to upload a screenshot and zip file. I've been saving my screenshots at 640x480. The site will post them as thumbnails.

Newly added files are ticked by default. On the right are some options but I think the default settings are fine.

At the bottom is an Insert into Post button that generates the html.

The order depends on the filenames but I like to have the code so that the image is before the download link.

On the right is a list of categories. You can add your own and select a Parent if you want. That's highly recommended when adding a new author.

Tags haven't been used so far, and I'm not sure if they'll ever be needed.
    Last edited by R Soul; 15th Apr 2015 at 19:53.

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    I meant 'weapon' and 'player arm'. Even though you didn't suggest the former I realised it hadn't been added and I got my wires crossed because it was at the forefront of my mind.

Edit: your account has been approved.

For now this is what I'm doing:

Make a new post (using the menu at the top)
    The Add Media button is used to upload a screenshot and zip file. I've been saving my screenshots at 640x480. The site will post them as thumbnails.

Newly added files are ticked by default. On the right are some options but I think the default settings are fine.

At the bottom is an Insert into Post button that generates the html.

The order depends on the filenames but I like to have the code so that the image is before the download link.

On the right is a list of categories. You can add your own and select a Parent if you want. That's highly recommended when adding a new author.

Tags haven't been used so far, and I'm not sure if they'll ever be needed.
    I wish like you can select categories, you could also select a page for it to automatically add it too.

I hate to say it but maybe we should get rid of the pages and only use categories. Thoughts?
    Last edited by vincentlancon; 16th Apr 2015 at 11:49.

Can we link the site so others can find it easier? More and more are added each day.

New contributors/editors always welcome.

I've added a page with upload instructions for registered users, although so far we're a bit low on that count.

I've added a page with upload instructions for registered users, although so far we're a bit low on that count.
    Thanks Larry G and you too R Soul for the ones you've added. I have been adding the older objects and that will take me a while to complete, I am glad we have some newer objects on there too.

Not promising anything , but I will see if I can code a simple upload PHP site were the users just have to enter their name, categories, image and zip file and just click upload to have it automatically create a blog post... hopefully it can be done. I may be over-promising...we will see.

I had a go at doing something like that but I don't know php so I haven't got very far. I did however find a program called Instant Wordpress which is an offline version, so things like posts and plugins can be tested without using the website.

wow some of those object you guys are uploading look great, how come I haven't seen some of these in missions yet?

I really like the idea of one repository for all the objects. Good work so far!
    I'm wondering - is there any way to generate a grid of thumbnails of all the posts/objects in a chosen category? Would be handy to have an overview, especially once the object count becomes high.
    Maybe there is already a plugin for Word Press to do that?

Quote Originally Posted by vincentlancon View Post
    Not promising anything , but I will see if I can code a simple upload PHP site were the users just have to enter their name, categories, image and zip file and just click upload to have it automatically create a blog post... hopefully it can be done. I may be over-promising...we will see.
    How would you describe your familiarity with Wordpress plugins? I've been reading up on the subject but I'm not getting anywhere. Plus I do have a mission to work on.

PinkDot, that probably is possible. In the Media Library each file has a link to the post to which it has been uploaded, and the post has its categories. Wordpress sites use a MySQL database, so there probably is a select command to get thumbnails of each image in each post in the chosen category, but it's been ages since I've studied databases, and I haven't used them at all within Wordpress.

If Vincent cannot do it we may need to get someone else on board.
    Last edited by R Soul; 22nd Apr 2015 at 18:56.

How would you describe your familiarity with Wordpress plugins? I've been reading up on the subject but I'm not getting anywhere. Plus I do have a mission to work on.

PinkDot, that probably is possible. In the Media Library each file has a link to the post to which it has been uploaded, and the post has its categories. Wordpress sites use a MySQL database, so there probably is a select command to get thumbnails of each image in each post in the chosen category, but it's been ages since I've studied databases, and I haven't used them at all within Wordpress.

If Vincent cannot do it we may need to get someone else on board.
    This looks promising
    http://www.wpexplorer.com/create-wor...ges-using-php/

I've been testing the Upload Instructions at the TOR site.

1. Between Screenshot and New Post there needs to be an instruction to Log On to the site. Nothing works if you don't log on first.
    2. Ordinary contributors don't have the permissions needed to add a category, so the instructions to add a category don't belong in this work instruction. That belongs in the work instruction for site admins.

On a related note, there needs to be a Gizmo category. I have gizmos to post.

But the site is looking good!

LarryG , I bumped you up to editor, see if you can add categories now.

That worked, but contributors shouldn't be editors, should they? That opens the site up too much for control over it, no?

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    That worked, but contributors shouldn't be editors, should they? That opens the site up too much for control over it, no?
    True, I think you and R Soul are really the only ones I see really uploading and are elevated.

I wouldn't trust me with that power if I were me, and I am, so I don't.

Are you that bad...?
    I can drop you back down if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    I wouldn't trust me with that power if I were me, and I am, so I don't.

I've updated the upload instructions. I've also added a few object categories, and will add more in the future, so hopefully an author's inability to add their own won't be a problem. It's harder to anticipate new Artist names, so I've added a 'not listed' category. As long as the author's name is in the post title it will be easy for Vincent or I to to set the a new category.

We've hit the first 100 objects in the repository.... thanks guys.

Anyone know how to make an icon for a wordpress site.... I would like to make it a keeper keyhole design for when you bookmark the site? I've done it on regular sites but not WP.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    https://codex.wordpress.org/Creating_a_Favicon

I'm also happy to make the icon for you if you like.

Thanks Yandros, that worked.. I made a simple one but if you can make a better one, I have no qualms about using it...thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    https://codex.wordpress.org/Creating_a_Favicon

I'm also happy to make the icon for you if you like.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast